• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Ryse's multiplayer looks nothing like the released footage, doesn't feel nextgen

disap.ed

lolryseiesg2.gif

That's what they meant with AAAA titles *lol*

Arklite

Needs work, but what doesn't? Big name titles on both upcoming consoles have threads about performance issues, everything's on crunch time. More alarming is how unremarkable the actual combat in Ryse seems to be. It looks like a mess for it being competitive multiplayer.

This thread has me in tears it's so funny.

I want to make a thread where we talk about the worst launch games ever.

Would Lair take the cake? And would Ryse beat it if it launches in it's current form.

The only problem I have with Ryse and their developers is that they refuse to accept reality. They talk about their game like they know the points that players brought up and they are indeed trying to meet the expectations, but everything we have seen so far just...screams the opposite.

Just say nothing or say: yes, it has basic combat. Combat complexity is not our goal, we want fancy animations (?) instead. Say that. It will not bother the vast majority of your potential buyers anyway.

The feel of good gameplay

2San

I'm not surprised. I never had faith gameplay wise. Crytek always had problems with optimizing games, at least if you compare them to DICE.

Not trying to be a cynic, but this is a game by Crytec, previously known for developing gorgeous but hardware-taxing shooters, retooling a previously Kinect-focused game in a genre they know nothing about, trying to make launch on a newly released console. No one should be expecting anything more than a 6/10 out of this, a beatiful but shallow spectacle.

The guy who designed the Combat in Darksiders 2 works for crytek. There is no excuse. If you dont know what you are doing with a combat system, fly in/hire people who do. Thats what Double helix did, for all their faults for KI.

My faith in this game was well placed. Shame about Ryse. Looks like it will fall short of what it could have been.

Too bad for Ryse. Crytek did good with Crysis in term of gameplay, but Third Person games are much harder, you can't cheat with animations and everyone is not Naughty Dog... The setting is really good (With Rome 2 coming, we can't get enough antique rome in gaming) but all from singler player to multiplayer either looks way to assisted/wonky or unispired and boring... Too bad, I really wish a good sword based roman campaign game

jockstrap74

Neo Member

Seriously is the A button the only button you need?

I think the constant button flashing is annoying as hell, understandable if it was for a game aimed for a pre-school audience......I imagine the game to have an adult or 16+ classification due to the violence.....but but

it does look like Crytek have a lot of work to do to get the game polished for launch, its only 12 weeks away. The character animation is shocking, and the sword attacks they look like they go behind rather than through the opponent....and that leg...that super extendable leg....

Seriously is the A button the only button you need?

I think the constant button flashing is annoying as hell, understandable if it was for a game aimed for a pre-school audience......I imagine the game to have an adult or 16+ classification due to the violence.....but but

it does look like Crytek have a lot of work to do to get the game polished for launch, its only 12 weeks away
It is a bug bro, that button prompt was supposed to disappear

Scanna

well, people are bound to have opinions. Actually, the four of us from my website all enjoyed MP matches at Gamescom and the SP level they showed BCD was stunning.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Dead Rising 3 is SO choppy right now that I simply do not believe they will smooth it out for launch. The framerate is obscenely low and suffers from constant tearing. It simply does not look nice at all in motion.

The game does look interesting, though, and I feel they should delay it until they can hit their performance target.

I'm not saying it's going to happen for sure, but when I saw PGR3 at the Game Convention in Leipzig in August, 3 months before the Xbox 360 launch, the build shown was running at something like 5 fps. Performance for launch titles is usually one of the last thing the devs can actually work on, due to not finalized hardware and SDK. I know that the One hardware is already much more mature than the 360 was at the same date in the dev cycle of the console, but it's still possible that the performance issues in DR3 are going to be fixed by launch. I'm not holding my breath though.

jockstrap74

Neo Member
These GIFs have been floating around for over a month. I almost started to feel bad posting them all the time but now not so much.

[

ibhnBoJCvrvTRV.gif

]

Holy shit, after a second look, I just noticed the guy sliding across the ground lol.... must be some special Matrixesque motion capture techniques they are using

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Don't know why, but can't get this out of my head when I see the sword smashing.

slapqtep5axw.gif

Im pretty sure the 14min of ign footage was captured right.
Looked good i mean its not the next gen feel we deserve but which game is if you had a capable gaming rig(HD6950 or 7850 etc) the last 2 year

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm not saying it's going to happen for sure, but when I saw PGR3 at the Game Convention in Leipzig in August, 3 months before the Xbox 360 launch, the build shown was running at something like 5 fps. Performance for launch titles is usually one of the last thing the devs can actually work on, due to not finalized hardware and SDK. I know that the One hardware is already much more mature than the 360 was at the same date in the dev cycle of the console, but it's still possible that the performance issues in DR3 are going to be fixed by launch. I'm not holding my breath though.
I hope so. Bizarre had a great track record, though, while Blue Castle has traditionally released games with performance problems.

Wasn't pgr3 originally shown at 60 fps in trailers with people later being disappointed by the end results. Was one amazing looking game, though.

They tried to pull the wool over our eyes until the run-up to launch but most of us saw through it. Hope it improves before launch but just be wary those who buy this.

This is actually a great idea (for a seperate game). I would play it.

It's bugging the hell out of me that Crytek didn't bother with this. It's so damn obvious and they'd make a shit load of money selling Ben Hur/Charlton Heston DLC.

Fuck.

Wow. Unfair to both Lair and Heavenly Sword. Yikes.

Don't be silly. Both of those were terrible, truly, truly terrible.

Or atleast something more then only barbarians pull in a War elephant as a boss or something.

I'd be down for this too.

Theecliff

Banned
Am I allowed to defend this the same way some users defended Drive Club? The game was running on a 35% complete build? :p
The situations aren't entirely the same - the major problem people had with the Driveclub E3 build was that the visuals were lacking, whereas this build seems to have a multitude of problems.

I do think people are jumping the gun a bit here though. It's obviously a buggy build being shown, so no doubt they'll iron out some of the glitches by launch.

It still doesn't look that good from a gameplay perspective from what we've seen, though.

jockstrap74

Neo Member
Ryse always looked like a bit of a Spartan Total Warrior rip off any way, a game I liked. So now its only Titanfall I feel I wouldn't mind at launch...but I can wait.

Sendou

Too bad for Ryse. Crytek did good with Crysis in term of gameplay, but Third Person games are much harder, you can't cheat with animations and everyone is not Naughty Dog... The setting is really good (With Rome 2 coming, we can't get enough antique rome in gaming) but all from singler player to multiplayer either looks way to assisted/wonky or unispired and boring... Too bad, I really wish a good sword based roman campaign game

Yeah hopefully they'll try again. Ryse 2 with the same engine and more time to get these things right. After Crysis I know there's a good development team behind all this.

Why the hell do the animations slow down in time in multiplayer (yet the game is still running at ful speed)? Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

I feel Dead Rising 3 looks quite workable visually, especially given what it's doing.

i9AvUqfJ1U0Qp.gif

DR3 looks crazy impressive, but I'm still not sold what Blue Castle has done with the IP. I'll give credit where it's due though, their aims in having a massive open world which is larger than previous games and all with no loading is something that really needs to be applauded and I hope they can pull it off with as few technical issues as possible.

Top Bottom