• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4's killer app?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Snails pace indeed....

9588727938_d89c8712aa_o.gif

I'm buying Shadow Fall for sure but the gameplay in that gif illustrates about a speed of 2 out of 6 with 6 being Quake 3 and 1 being Arma 3.

erawsd

I think there is only one next gen launch game that classifies as killer app and it's not what you think it is.

It's Killer Instinct.

Admittedly the people the amount of people that are interested in the game is small, but they are absolutely buying the system for that one game.

It won't sell in big numbers, but it falls under the definition of a killer app - a piece of software that convinces people to buy hardware. Halo for classic xbox, SSBM for gamecube and Wii sports are just a few that immediately come to mind. People bought those systems JUST for those games.

I can't wait to play killzone, but it's not the sole reason for me buying a PS4. Even if Infamous was out at launch it still would not be the sole reason for me buying a PS4.

Killer Instinct? I'd say thats doubtful. Fighters are on the outs and KI was never as big as SF or MK. MS isn't even pushing it in a bits of promotional stuff we've seen so far; ex: its the only XboxOne exclusive missing in that new commercial.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So what makes a "killer app"?
A narrative, mostly. It's a concept that's a relic of a bygone era when the price differential between the hardware and the games was lower because the hardware cost less while the games were relatively expensive by comparison. Buying a console for one game made more sense. Now that game prices have basically remained stagnant for a few generations while console hardware has leapfrogged in price a $100 at a time each generation or so, the concept of a single, killer app doesn't hold much sway, esp. now that digital delivery has begun reinvigorating software pricing schemes with more open-ended pricing.

When even 2nd and 3rd place game consoles are selling 80 million units apiece, lifetime, there isn't any one single game that typically sells to more than 10-15% of those populations.

At launch of new hardware though, it is nice to have something that begins to forge a definitive path for future software on the platform, give a sense of what to expect, and Shadowfall certainly seems to fulfill that role.

satam55

Banned
Not for me. I've played the others and came away underwhelmed. For me the killer app is the hardware itself and Resogun. Sony SM or Naughty Dog will deliver the first killer app most likely. Probably next holiday.

Did see the previews from last week? It looks & plays nothing like previous Killzone games.

No it is not the "Killer app" nobody is gonna say I need to own a PS4 to play Killzone. It might be a huge seller, but people would still be buying the console regardless of Killzone launching or not.

My definition of killer app would be something that would make the average person or the undecided gamer decide "I need to buy this console for...."

The only two things that would come close to this would be Kinect 2 and Gaikai.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Is for me. I'll likely pick up Knack as well. Everything else I'll get on PC.

Also, am I right in saying Killzone has bots for multiplayer? I'm not much of an online player and much prefer CPU opponents to dick around with.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Snails pace indeed....

9588727938_d89c8712aa_o.gif
I'll admit it -- movement in that gif looks good. The general feeling I've gotten from the footage I've watched makes the game look slow and rather dull, but maybe I need to experience it to get it. I've barely played past KZ games. I'm getting Shadow Fall on launch, so I'm hoping I'll like it!

Did see the previews from last week? It looks & plays nothing like previous Killzone games.
Really? Could you (or someone else) summarize the major differences? I'd appreciate it!

Only by default

Only hyped game at launch, retail wise

That's not how it works though, imo. Killer app is something that people want to get a console for, with very little regard for what else is available. Not the best thing available for the system, even if the system is successful.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Too bad the universe that the game is in stinks. Playing as a generic space marine has worn out it's welcome imo.

I never played the original but compared to 2 and 3 Shadow Fall is easily the least generic looking one. Cold War Israel-Palestine type setup with some pretty colorful levels.

Fletcher

After trying to like all of the previous Killzone games, except the psp/psv games, I'm going to have to say nope. I'm not sure what it is, but these games just aren't really that fun to play.

I feel like "killer app" is something that drives sales of a system because people that wouldn't have otherwise bought the system at the time are buying it for that game. It's a mass-audience behavior-changer. Wii Sports is probably the best example of a killer app there has ever been.

On that note, the PS4 doesn't have any killer apps, which is why a lot of people are saying the launch lineup is weak.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I wouldn't classify it as a Killer App. I don't really see many people saying, "I gotta buy a PS4 for Killzone" I don't really think the PS4 needs one, so it's not a big deal.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm thinking about it and I don't know if any next gen games are what I would consider "killer apps", personally.

Sure, there are games that I want but nothing strikes me as something that I must own.

The closest thing, for me, is Watch Dogs...and the more I see of the game the less I am excited for it. It's starting to look like it is an Ubisoft open world game....which is exactly what it is but the initial marketing was very good at misdirecting away from that fact.

We have no idea. Ask the question again a month post-launch after the first flurry of sales and reviews. It's certainly the default choice for many that want a PS4 exclusive title to fire up on day one (including me).

Vire

I wouldn't classify it as a Killer App. I don't really see many people saying, "I gotta buy a PS4 for Killzone" I don't really think the PS4 needs one, so it's not a big deal.

Yeah I agree, I don't think it is a killer app and I don't really think it really needs one.

The hardware is the "killer app". People are buying it because they know multi platform games will look better on PS4 for the next 5-10 years.

Replicant

Seems to be the most pre-ordered next-gen title AFTER Assassin's Creed 4 if Amazon's chart is to be used/believed. But the chart is not exactly a great indicator so......

Also, it helps that unlike previous versions, this one actually looks great and not look like it's smeared with vaseline. IMO, of course.

I don't know if KZ:SF will do it. It's better than anything MS has at launch, but it's not XB:OG Halo situation.

Of course not. It's not halo or Mario 64. But I think it and Ryse will be the games that people want the most. They will also be the games that they pull out when showing off the system to friends.

But yeah, it's not halo or Mario or anything nuts like that. I think the days of *huge* exclusive games at release are over. Games cost too much to make now so the small install base of launches require this sorta b-tier of killer apps.

Absolutely. The next-gen show-case game as far as I'm concerned.

- 1080p.
- Open ended gameplay.
- Huge levels with lots of branching paths and layers.
- Amazing scale and vistas.
- 10+ hours SP campaign length.
- Multiple ways to tackle each level.
- Open dynamic mission objectives in many levels.
- 35fps to 40fps SP and 60fps MP.
- Amazing production values and visuals.
- Much more emphasis on the narrative and characters.
- Complete overhaul in art and gameplay direction from previous games in the franchise.
- New OWL gameplay elements and tactics.
- No aim assist.
- Experience'less MP.
- No splash screens and logo's.
- No loading times.
- Mass array of MP options.
- Free DLC competitive maps (10 ship with the game, at least 6 more free maps to follow).
- All weapons unlocked from the get go.
- 1500+ skill based objectives and challenges in the MP.

A bunch of these are the same thing, :lol

But yeah, it looks good. I'll probably be grabbing it and AC4 on launch day.

Duxxy3

Killer Instinct? I'd say thats doubtful. Fighters are on the outs and KI was never as big as SF or MK. MS isn't even pushing it in a bits of promotional stuff we've seen so far; ex: its the only XboxOne exclusive missing in that new commercial.

Injustice topped the NPD for two months straight. Fighters are not on the outs.

UNCMark

Banned

I like what I've seen and I'll definitely give it a look. Hopefully Redbox starts carrying PS4 games. When it comes to games that are primarily multiplayer, I tend to only play games that are heavily into co-op (horde modes etc) or vehicle based PVP. So that kinda eliminates Killzone for me. I'll be reading as many reviews though and if it's just overwhelmingly positive, I'll probably cave and buy it for the campaign.

Salex_

Too bad the universe that the game is in stinks. Playing as a generic space marine has worn out it's welcome imo.

There goes that word again, "generic". Can you point out the games that looks like Killzone so I can see why it's "generic"? I'm sick of seeing this word get tossed around games that don't even fit the description of "generic".

slapnuts

So I was thinking about this while I was in the process of actually pre-ordering SF myself, that this game seems to be the only one anyone is consistently talking about from the PS4's launch lineup. Knack is mostly being written off as a generic, uninspired cute version of God of War, Driveclub has been delayed and the third party offerings are a case of personal preference for which platform to purchase on.

So what makes a "killer app"? Is it the hype surrounding the game prior to launch? The quality of the game itself or its sales numbers? Or does a game qualify if it alone makes the purchase of a new console justified? I guess a lot of people will say "wait for reviews" but what is GAF's opinion?

I would personally say a cautious yes it is, but only until Knack proves itself to be far better than it appears.

I always put the KZ series as Sony's Ace in the Hand Sci-fi Shooter game just like Microsoft has their Halo series as their Ace in the Hand Sci-fi shooter game. So yeah...i think KZ is "one" of Sony's killer apps but the good thing with Sony is they have many more killer Apps than xbox does imho....or i should say Sony has far more exclusive killer apps and that is what is hurting the Xbox Console.

So yeah..make no mistake about it. KillZone is one of Sony's killer apps and the great thing about it..is it is a launch game and it looks fantastic! I guess this why KZ is getting all the attention...its a killer app and most killer apps launch alone as its a smart business move.

Not sure its a killer app, but it definitely shows off the hardware. Out of the launch lineups, forza/KZ/Ryse seem like the heavy hitters.

satam55

Banned
I'll admit it -- movement in that gif looks good. The general feeling I've gotten from the footage I've watched makes the game look slow and rather dull, but maybe I need to experience it to get it. I've barely played past KZ games. I'm getting Shadow Fall on launch, so I'm hoping I'll like it!

Really? Could you (or someone else) summarize the major differences? I'd appreciate it!

Here's links to a bunch of previews from last week:

IGN Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wee4JNuUTWE

Rev3Games Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n67e3eFVSR4

Machinma Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsqWgUtWQFE

Gametrailers Field Report: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/pq90gm/killzone-shadow-fall-field-report

Gametrailers Interview: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/hi4vi0/killzone-shadow-fall-cold-war-interview

Gamereactor Article: http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/96034/A+new+Killzone+for+a+new+generation/

BadAss2961

It has all the ingredients of a killer app, except the hype and marketing push.

Having said that, it should be the best selling game in the series at least.

MavFan619

Banned

- 1080p.
- Open ended gameplay.
- Complete overhaul in art and gameplay direction from previous games in the franchise.
- No aim assist.
- Experience'less MP.
- No loading times.
- Free DLC competitive maps (10 ship with the game, at least 6 more free maps to follow).
When you sum it up like this, damn I can't wait.

Umm ok I guess?

Not sure hwy you keep making these comparisons.

Well you could try by reading the post I was responding to where it said KZ would be the best selling launch title of any of the three new consoles. I never said the game would sell awfully. It should do fine. I just think there is a lot competition at the launch of next gen.

cdkee

Banned

- 1080p.
- Open ended gameplay.
- No aim assist.
- Experience'less MP.
- No loading times.

Wait, there's no aim assist?

So I was thinking about this while I was in the process of actually pre-ordering SF myself, that this game seems to be the only one anyone is consistently talking about from the PS4's launch lineup. Knack is mostly being written off as a generic, uninspired cute version of God of War, Driveclub has been delayed and the third party offerings are a case of personal preference for which platform to purchase on.

So what makes a "killer app"? Is it the hype surrounding the game prior to launch? The quality of the game itself or its sales numbers? Or does a game qualify if it alone makes the purchase of a new console justified? I guess a lot of people will say "wait for reviews" but what is GAF's opinion?

I would personally say a cautious yes it is, but only until Knack proves itself to be far better than it appears.
KZSF is looking GOOD, should sell a good bunch.

erawsd

Of course not. It's not halo or Mario 64. But I think it and Ryse will be the games that people want the most. They will also be the games that they pull out when showing off the system to friends.

But yeah, it's not halo or Mario or anything nuts like that. I think the days of *huge* exclusive games at release are over. Games cost too much to make now so the small install base of launches require this sorta b-tier of killer apps.

I totally agree. It reminds me about how Sony Santa Monica was pushing for GoW 2 to be a PS3 launch game, but Sony execs (YoshP specifically) decided to stick with PS2 for the much stronger sell through. I'd be surprised if we ever see another Mario 64.

nib95

Banned
A bunch of these are the same thing, :lol

But yeah, it looks good. I'll probably be grabbing it and AC4 on launch day.

Not really.

- Multiple ways to tackle each level meaning stealth, all out, hacking, a mixture, using OWL or not etc.

- Open dynamic missions in some levels meaning you can choose which mission objectives to do first and in whatever order you want.

- Amazing production values and visuals meaning the graphics in general lighting, shadowing, textures, post processing, polygons, geometric complexity, characters, voice acting etc.

- Amazing scale and vistas meaning the levels are really large and expansive. Huge draw distances, large maps and so on.

I think so. Out of all of the first party titles, out of any platform, it will run away with units sold and wow factor. An exclusive shooter that just so happens to have a very high attach ratio will work wonders for the PS4 and PS4's online component.

Eoin

Injustice topped the NPD for two months straight. Fighters are not on the outs.
I think KI's free version will expand the audience. You get access to the full game with one rotating character, no FTP coin systems or bullshit getting in the way. If your mate's not really into fighting games and hasn't bought KI, he can still jump into a multi match with you, without having to pay a penny. Maybe he get's hooked and buys the game eventually.

Vooduu

I hope the Devs deliver on their promise that this is a whole new/different Killzone experience.

From the videos though, looks like it will be. I don't like the fast paced action of Battlefield 4.

I'm buying Shadow Fall for sure but the gameplay in that gif illustrates about a speed of 2 out of 6 with 6 being Quake 3 and 1 being Arma 3.

Good.

- J - D -

Yes. I'm fairly confident the gameplay will be good, I just hope the story and characters will be better than what was in K2 and 3.

Barzul

The only reason Killzone sells as much as it does is because Infamous is not out at launch. I see more liking the PS4 itself as a piece of hardware than Killzone. No one I know is buying a PS4 for Killzone it just happens to look good as is the only good exclusive Sony has at launch, which imo is why it'll sell a lot. Yes I think Knack looks like crap and I wouldn't pay $60 to play it.

dookeh

I think there is only one next gen launch game that classifies as killer app and it's not what you think it is.

It's Killer Instinct.

Admittedly the people the amount of people that are interested in the game is small, but they are absolutely buying the system for that one game.

It won't sell in big numbers, but it falls under the definition of a killer app - a piece of software that convinces people to buy hardware. Halo for classic xbox, SSBM for gamecube and Wii sports are just a few that immediately come to mind. People bought those systems JUST for those games.

I can't wait to play killzone, but it's not the sole reason for me buying a PS4. Even if Infamous was out at launch it still would not be the sole reason for me buying a PS4.

This is me unfortunately. I would rather only get a PS4 at launch, and while I do own and love every Forza game; Killer Instinct is easily the only game for either system that I have to have.

reKon

Banned

- 1080p.
- Open ended gameplay.
- No aim assist.
- Experience'less MP.
- No loading times.

Agreed, but I feel like BF4 will put a big dent on it's sales. If it was just this game and CoD releasing, I guarantee that Killzone SF would absolutely destroy and do the best it's ever done. KZ: SF and BF4 are definitely going to be my main shooters for the PS4.

Won't be surprised if Destiny ends up being my most played game. If the Division delivers I can see myself with that and NBA 2K14 for a while. Still have this backlog I need to work on though. The better graphics and gameplay is giving me next gen envy :(

Anyways, Killzone SF looks excellent and I hope it does well. I enjoyed campaign for Killzone 3

Top Bottom