• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4's killer app?

I think that all of this makes a little more difficult to market games. They did pretty well with Kevin Butler regarding that. I haven't seen a Killzone commercial though and they really should be pushing that game now.

There's a KZ: Shadowfall ad out here in the US. I've seen it several times.

Mitark

Killer app ? who knows but i believe it will sell well and for me it will be my first PS4 game , good impression on the new design , gameplay , and the Story seems
to be the most interesting part of the package with the amazing graphics of course.

iOXJ8eslO9AZ0.gif

iSjI1bbkxbYgQ.gif

iPODajhHayT1N.gif

can't wait to try it , i need to save for new TV, my current TV is not worthy :D

Tabular

Banned
So I was thinking about this while I was in the process of actually pre-ordering SF myself, that this game seems to be the only one anyone is consistently talking about from the PS4's launch lineup. Knack is mostly being written off as a generic, uninspired cute version of God of War, Driveclub has been delayed and the third party offerings are a case of personal preference for which platform to purchase on.

So what makes a "killer app"? Is it the hype surrounding the game prior to launch? The quality of the game itself or its sales numbers? Or does a game qualify if it alone makes the purchase of a new console justified? I guess a lot of people will say "wait for reviews" but what is GAF's opinion?

I would personally say a cautious yes it is, but only until Knack proves itself to be far better than it appears.

Wow. Reaching hard I see.

Edit: BF4 with 50% better performance will be the "killer app".

thejazzking

Neo Member
No. They don't have a killer game. Knack + KZ + Driveclub together were a good spread, but now its potentially not.

I think we'll see a lot of PS4 owners (like me) pick up Call of Duty or Battlefield before picking up Killzone.

I'm not really a fan of the term "killer app", and I don't think either console has one. Most people I know are waiting for Destiny or picking up AC4 at launch.

Before seeing the new gameplay video, I would have agreed with you. I was planning on surviving the launch with BF4 and Resogun. But now I'll pick up KZ too - it's so pretty! A little less prescribed than most shooters. And custom MP game modes? Riffing off the success of Forge on console and of course countless PC mods. Here's hoping for GoldenEye moments all over again :D

Eusis

Like what?
Well I gave one example (Skyrim timed DLC - hell, timed DLC period really) and that stuff Ubisoft's done on Playstation isn't too great with Assassin's Creed and Watch_Dogs. Though Microsoft's been doing it so much and without stuff that's offered for free that I did develop a bias there, though I don't really mind as much if there's technical reasons: Portal 2's motion control DLC not only is on PC too but couldn't adequately go on 360 anyway.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I cant believe some of the comments in the thread

Killzone 2 is one of the best first person shooters ever made. Hell fucking yes its a killer app.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

Killzone 2 is one of the best first person shooters ever made. Hell fucking yes its a killer app.
Agreed. If they can recreate the magic magic KZ2 multiplayer then it will be a killer app.

DBT85

I think that:

It'll sell the most more copies on the PS4 than any other game that is available on launch day
It'll get good review scores
It'll be the showcase title for people to show their friends, like some BluRays are on the format.
It may be proclaimed as the best Killzone ever (I have no idea, this will be my first)

I do not think that:

It will have the power to sell systems like GT, Uncharted, Crash Bandicoot, Halo, etc.

For a launch title, it's as big as a game as Sony could hope for:

*lengthy single player mode that doubles as a graphical showpiece
* multiplayer component

The attach rate for this game is going to be incredible. Do not be surprised if it manages to outsell Battlefield or Call of Duty on the PS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For me it is. It's moving in the direction I've wanted FPS and this series specifically to move in for a while now. It could be the game that finally lives up to the series' full potential.

orioto

Good Art™
When i think abuot it, Kill Zone's reputation may be the weak point of the game. It would have probably done better being an original ip.

madmackem

None of the two consoles have any killer apps at launch, now if xboxone had titanfall and ps4 and infamous ss then we could talk.

As for kz sf its my most wanted launch game out of either console however im a kz fan and love the series but that doesnt make it a killer app for others. I guess you could say a killer app is anything that sells you yourself on the system. I bet many are sold on ryse or dead rising, i bet many are sold on kz resogun and better third party titles its all down to personal choice as neither console has a resounding must buy.

I think so. It's a solid FPS made on good foundations (Killzone 2, obviously not 3) and looks to provide some great gameplay variety with a more open map and missions all while still looking amazing. I genuinely can't imagine why someone buying a PS4 wouldn't buy this, unless they were outfight disgusted by FPSs.

System seller? Maybe, it does have some brand recognition and will probably be the most bought exclusive out of the two consoles (I still believe Killer Instinct will be the most downloaded and profitable, but different matter). However, I suppose on long term scale, it doesn't appear to have the same "I must to own this game!!!!" allure that Halo or Wii Sports had for people who aren't Neogaf members. I still think it will help shift some consoles though

I loved KZ2, spent hundreds of hours playing MP but the controls precluded it from mass appeal. They kind of fixed that situation with the control scheme in KZ3 but gave us a terrible campaign and stripped the MP of lots of good stuff as well.

In terms of a game that is giving you some of those next-gen visuals, I guess. It's probably the best looking PS4 launch game. I realize it's more open now, but I'm waiting for reviews I guess. I actually played Killzone 1 on PS2 and of course Killzone 2 on PS3, but the franchise has never really done anything for me (Same for Infamous). I completely skipped KZ3. But, I mean, if you are looking at the launch line up, it's, you know, unique I guess. I'm just getting a little Resistance Fall of Man vibe from it like the PS3 launch. I mean that was the game everyone was talking about back then for PS3.

I don't really like a shooter being the first game I'm going to pick up for a new system. I honestly think neither system has a killer app out of the gate. Neither has that one game that seems like it would drive system sales if you are not in it just to upgrade. I think all my killer apps are coming next year, but I don't want to be stuck without a system when they come out because of shortages.

Icomp

Holy shit, the gifs in this thread are godly.

My hype for this game is increasing day by day.

I'm buying a ps4 for the ps4. Killzone is just a very welcome bonus.

glaurung

Throughout the history of Killzone I have never really cared for any of the games, albeit having played all of them. It's something to do with its characters and story line that never felt truly interesting, more like a throwaway comic book in a dentist waiting room.

But god damn it, I am getting Shadow Fall day one (amazon.co.uk Gamer Bundle). That and Knack. They both look polished like good Riedel crystal if you ask me.

Krilekk

Banned
So I was thinking about this while I was in the process of actually pre-ordering SF myself, that this game seems to be the only one anyone is consistently talking about from the PS4's launch lineup. Knack is mostly being written off as a generic, uninspired cute version of God of War, Driveclub has been delayed and the third party offerings are a case of personal preference for which platform to purchase on.

So what makes a "killer app"? Is it the hype surrounding the game prior to launch? The quality of the game itself or its sales numbers? Or does a game qualify if it alone makes the purchase of a new console justified? I guess a lot of people will say "wait for reviews" but what is GAF's opinion?

I would personally say a cautious yes it is, but only until Knack proves itself to be far better than it appears.

It is not. It's Killzone, a franchise that peaked with the second game. The problem with it was always that great art was not complimented by great gameplay and 4 continues down that road. It will sell well but it won't be a killer app and in three months it will be irrelevant. GG is already working on a new IP, this is their farewell to Killzone.

GetemMa

neither console has a "killer app"

I think 1st party publishers deliberately skip day 1 console launches for their proposed "killer apps" because the fanboys buy the consoles on day 1 regardless of the existence of a big exclusive title and the consoles sell out.

Better to put that game somewhere in the launch window to maintain momentum.

Hence Titanfall on March 11 for Xbone.

I guess Sony hasn't announced anything I would consider a killer app.

Killer app implies widespread appeal. Titanfall is the only title I've seen that might meet that criteria. Killzone, not really close in that regard. Still looks nice though.

That said, PS4 day 1. I can play Titanfall on my PC.

Only next gen FPS on next gen at launch? Sounds like a killer app to me! :D

I have no doubt it'll be a great game, especially after how good Mercenary was if nothing else, so there really is no reason to believe it shouldn't be considered a "killer app" unless you're overly invested in the tired "lol killzone" narrative as, sadly, a number of gaffers appear to be :/

Killer app implies widespread appeal. Titanfall is the only title I've seen that might meet that criteria.

60 dollar multiplayer only arena shooter has 'widespread appeal'? Since when has this been a thing? It isn't even an exclusive.

IMHOP Killzone is a real Visual Treat and a true testament to the Potential of the PS4 platform, IT IS the biggest Exclusive Pre-sale and I imagine that for Highest Seller on a Single Platform it will run close with BF4 and or COD.

I think it will be first or a close second (ON PS4 ONLY) to BF4.

The real guns will come out when we see UC4,The Order and what ever Santa Monica have up there sleeve.

EDIT: Oh and Infamous which will be a true Visual/Particle effect dream!!!

GetemMa

Only next gen FPS on next gen at launch? Sounds like a killer app to me! :D

I have no doubt it'll be a great game, especially after how good Mercenary was if nothing else, so there really is no reason to believe it shouldn't be considered a "killer app" unless you're overly invested in the tired "lol killzone" narrative as, sadly, a number of gaffers appear to be :/

60 dollar multiplayer only arena shooter has 'widespread appeal'? Since when has this been a thing? It isn't even an exclusive.

I feel like you have an odd interpretation of the term "killer app."

It doesn't necessarily indicate quality. It means a system selling game. Wii Sports was really flawed, had SD graphics, but it sold 100 million Wiis. Killzone is not a system seller like that.

Titanfall will sell Xbones. Even without a separate singleplayer mode. MS will throw a ton of money behind the marketing, "makers of COD blah blah blah." If you don't believe it will I think you are deluding yourself for a reason I can't pin down.

I would need the definition of "Killer App" before I issued any comments to the OP.

In any case, I think KZ is a good franchise, but it *is* using the "space marine" formula for sure. What makes KZ:SF so appealing to most people on these boards is the artistic direction in the game. The art is beautiful. However, most people try to say it's a technical marvel -- but can't really describe any technical achievements in the game that differentiate it from it's peers. They spout off "It looks amazing!!!" -- without really describing what makes it look amazing. Sure it's running at 1080p, but that's not a technical marvel..

Titanfall will sell Xbones. Even without a separate singleplayer mode. MS will throw a ton of money behind the marketing, "makers of COD blah blah blah." If you don't believe it will I think you are deluding yourself for a reason I can't pin down.

Because it's also coming out on a console people already have(360) and if people are more concerned with the "best" version of it rather than just playing it, there's a PC version as well? Because multiplayer only full price retail games have no proven sellability to a console audience in past gens?

Pick your poison really. I don't see why this is expected to have an overpriced piece of unproven hardware flying off shelves is all.

I think ps4 is kz's killer app.

PS4 is really hot right now, KZ has never been a great winner with the public but people need something with the new box and a good exclusive shooter ticks the box.

being at launch might just be the breakthrough KZ needed.

Stronty

Is there a mouselike controller option? Aiming was a bit of an issue for me with the prior Killzones and console FPS in general, also the reticle was way too small. Maybe the specialty third party fps controllers will arrive soon.

Amir0x

Banned
by default i guess, but i don't think it's a killer app.

i am however interested in it, and I didn't like past Killzone games much (other than the PSP game). It seems to have addressed most of the issues I had with KZ 1-3.

Killer App?

I'ts the only AAA launch exclusive that appeals to core gamers.

Even if that weren't the case however, it does look good.

But Killzone has always struggled to please the masses, so this might be the turning point.

I wonder how many people whose first KZ is Shadowfall will go back and try the others.

satam55

Banned
It is not. It's Killzone, a franchise that peaked with the second game. The problem with it was always that great art was not complimented by great gameplay and 4 continues down that road. It will sell well but it won't be a killer app and in three months it will be irrelevant. GG is already working on a new IP, this is their farewell to Killzone.

It will probably be like the other KZ games. Hyped at launch, forgotten&abandoned after 2 weeks.

So have y'all played the game or are y'all making ridiculous assumptions? The game is getting very positive previews from the media.

Eusis

I would need the definition of "Killer App" before I issued any comments to the OP.

In any case, I think KZ is a good franchise, but it *is* using the "space marine" formula for sure. What makes KZ:SF so appealing to most people on these boards is the artistic direction in the game. The art is beautiful. However, most people try to say it's a technical marvel -- but can't really describe any technical achievements in the game that differentiate it from it's peers. They spout off "It looks amazing!!!" -- without really describing what makes it look amazing. Sure it's running at 1080p, but that's not a technical marvel..
The game promises to be more open ended and dynamic, and while that's nothing new either (mother fucking Goldeneye was this way, and that's before we dig deeper into games like Dark Forces that are yet older or how games like Halo do a variation of it with a chain of arenas as it were) it IS why it's appealing to some of us beyond "well it's pretty." The selection for shooters going the more open route has been frighteningly sparse as of late, and most of the options are either full open world or more RPG or just first person games but not exactly shooters like Dishonored. It's kind of like that I want more Metroid or Megaman, but all anyone wants to make is Contra!
Because it's also coming out on a console people already have(360) and if people are more concerned with the "best" version of it rather than just playing it, there's a PC version as well? Because multiplayer only full price retail games have no proven sellability to a console audience in past gens?

Pick your poison really. I don't see why this is expected to have an overpriced piece of unproven hardware flying off shelves is all.
I also can't help but think that for a more casual observer... these games really aren't going to look or sound too dissimilar. GTA had that WOW factor, of being an open world modern day crime game, while Modern Warfare went for the topical and people jumped to it. Titanfall's interesting to many of us here, but I'm not really sure it has significantly more mainstream traction than something like Killzone, though marketting can do wonders here as you could say the same about Halo yet look what happened there.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
It's the only AAA next gen game that isn't multi-gen, was built from the ground up for next gen, or was comprimised due to time constraints.

BF, COD, AC - multi gen and it shows
Ryse - 900p and still shows its kinect roots
Dead Rising - X360 up port
Forza - missing many standard forza features

I think Forza and knack are arguably in this same class, but they seem to have so much less content.

The game promises to be more open ended and dynamic, and while that's nothing new either (mother fucking Goldeneye was this way, and that's before we dig deeper into games like Dark Forces that are yet older or how games like Halo do a variation of it with a chain of arenas as it were) it IS why it's appealing to some of us beyond "well it's pretty."

I disagree with the semantics of 'open-ended'. The game isn't really open-ended like say FarCry 3, Crysis 1 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. They just basically took some of the on-the-rails shooting and gave the player a few branches to veer off from. The game still requires you to get back on-the-rails at some point to progress, so it's not like people will spend 50+hrs in the SP campaign just going around experimenting with stuff or doing a whole bunch of side missions. I'm sure the enemies don't respawn and I'm sure you will have save points throughout the game. I'm guessing the game will be more like Dishonored than anything. And I only played through that game 1x. Didn't care much for the other branching paths that led to a different ending.

It's the only AAA next gen game that isn't multi-gen, was built from the ground up for next gen, or was comprimised due to time constraints.

BF, COD, AC - multi gen and it shows
Ryse - 900p and still shows its kinect roots
Dead Rising - X360 up port
Forza - missing many standard forza features

I think Forza and knack are arguably in this same class, but they seem to have so much less content.

What does multi-gen have to do with anything? An exclusive doesn't make it automatically superior to multi-gen titles - especially for next-gen.

Can't speak for COD or AC, but BF4 began with assets for the PC. That in it's own right makes it have assets that surpass the next-gen consoles, so insinuating a "dumbed-down" approach to graphics for a multi-platform game for these next-gen titles is just wrong IMO.

I think yes and no...

I think if reviews are average, it might not have as long legs as a true killer app, and start to slow down...

but i think it'll top previous games as it'll be the prettiest FPS on PS4 for a while, and the gameplay seems to be very different and more tactical than BF/COD.

Reviews and recommendations from friends is important on this one, hasn't reached that Halo/Uncharted impulse buy level yet, this could be the tipping point.

Rooting for GG this time, they are certainly technically inclined, just need to innovate with there gameplay.

Top Bottom