• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4's killer app?

Drakeon

Had Watch_Dogs not been delayed, you could have argued Watch_Dogs, but given the current lineup, yes.

I am hyped for it myself, hope it does well so I have a lot of people to play with on launch.

Although personally I'm not too interested in it, it looks amazing graphically, really shows what next gen can deliver, so I imagine at the least it has sparked more curiosity in it than any exclusive the Xbone has shown.

If anything Uncharted 2 was Playstation 3's killer app. But did that make people suddenly buy PS3s in droves? Not really. Is there a single thing on the iPhone that makes everyone buy an iPhone? Not really. The original Wii was perhaps the only hardware in the last 10 years that had a killer app in Wii Sports.

Personally, for some reason I've greatly enjoyed Killzone so far (2, 3, Vita, PSP) in all its forms, and this looks like it will be great again. Perhaps I'm just a sucker for technical marvel, but I really dig what they do more than almost anything else in the first person shooter genre, which I'm generally not actually a big fan of (played them since Wolfenstein 3D).

Kinda ironic that you guys say this concerning Infamous considering that the KZ series has consistently outsold Infamous but hey everyone has their own opinions. From what we've seen of both titles, I'm under the impression that KZSF is doing more in the effort to differentiate itself from the other games in it's franchise.

Yeah, that's what I said in my last post. That was a really good move by them. Nice to see them take a risk and completely change the look of their game. it really does set it apart. Killzone will probably outsell Infamous this time around too.

Sells aren't necessarily indication of a system seller though. I'm not buying a PS4 until Infamous comes out. Therefore, Infamous would be a system seller but I'll also pick up Killzone. Maybe somebody else buys the system for Drive Club and then they pick up Killzone also. Killzone could beat both of those games in sales but not necessarily be a system seller in itself. And since it's at launch I expect it to outsell most games coming out further down the line. I think the majority of people buying the system at launch aren't buying it because of one game, they are doing it for the system alone and Sony's decision making past and present (as well as MS's bad decision making).

But yeah, there is no definitive answer whether it is or not. It's all subjective.

spannicus

I would say so especially since its the first game I'll buy over any of the other titles...so yeah Killzone is a killer app.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yes it is.

It is not. An app is a reference to a mobile application. KZ:SF is a software application, but not an app.

Modern collegiate writing would eat you alive if you called something like this an app in a peer reviewed document.

Can app serve as an accepted abbreviation for application in formal contexts? Is there some context where app is more accepted (for example, when talking about mobile applications)?

-------------------

Your intuition is right. Nowadays, when people say "app" they mean "mobile application."

If you want to talk about an application that doesn't run on a tablet/phone, you can say something is a "Windows app". If you don't want to specify the operating system except to say that it's not a mobile application, just go with "application" or "program".

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I think it really depends on reviews - if it gets 10/10, best game ever hype, I think it will drive system sales. If not, it will sell well but not move additional systems.

Mondy

Banned
It is not. An app is a reference to a mobile application. KZ:SF is a software application, but not an app.

Modern collegiate writing would eat you alive if you called something like this an app in a peer reviewed document.

Look at this Bureaucrat....

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
KZ:SF is not an app....

Are you really not familiar with the term "killer app" which has enjoyed common usage in the videogame industry for decades now? Or are you just being a semantic poopsicle? I'm inclined to go with the latter, you poop.

Knuf

WAT
Killer-app concept existed way before mobiles as you intend them were even thought.

Neither X1 or PS4 have ''killer apps'', but not having a killer app should really matter since both systems offer a lot of different experiences and that's what is going to draw people in, people who buy systems just for one game are in a minority anyways.

coldfoot

Banned
COD at 1080p could be the killer app, and will probably sell more than Killzone.
However many will buy Killzone to see what next-gen looks like, it's the only true "next-gen" game on the PS4. MS has only Ryse as their "next-gen" showcase, but Killzone trumps it and shooters are "safer" games for consumers to try out.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
WAT
Killer-app concept existed way before mobiles as you intend them were even thought.

Things have evolved since the 80s and 90s when it was acceptable.

Since the smartphone popularity boom, the word app has had become synonymous to mobile. It causes needless confusion among many readers when other word choices can avoid such confusion.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the difference in quality between Resistance and Killzone is staggering. Killzone actually looks like it could be one of the games of the year, while Resistance was just a turd. It's not a killer app though, because the franchise isn't that big. That said, if the game is good enough it could become a sort of killer app. But it would have to have really build a big MP community and have an amazing SP.

if you read what you quoted, something that isn't a mobile app needs another word attached to it to designate that.

the word 'killer' in the phrase 'killer app' is the word that does that.

if you read what you quoted, something that isn't a mobile app needs another word attached to it to designate that.

the word 'killer' in the phrase 'killer app' is the word that does that.

I think maybe diablos991 needed to clarify because he was in formal collegiate land and thought there was a killzone murdering application for your mobile phone

Kade

Since the smartphone popularity boom, the word app has had become synonymous to mobile. It causes needless confusion among many readers when other word choices can avoid such confusion.

You seem to be the only one who is confused or bothered by its usage. Actually, I can't tell if you're actually bothered by it or being needlessly pedantic.

I wouldn't say so. This is probably Killzones biggest opportunity to shine though. There won't be a clearer representation of the franchises power

Knuf

There's no confusion here: a killer-app is a killer application where killer means that it makes you feel the need to own it and application meaning it could be any program running on a computer. See wikipedia for a better worded definition.
Okay that you're probably much younger than most of us here, but just because the smartphone boom happened, don't you think it's more unacceptable trying to rewrite the meaning of a word/concept which is here from the early days of videogaming?

btkadams

"a killer application (commonly shortened to killer app) is any computer program that is so necessary or desirable that it proves the core value of some larger technology, such as computer hardware, gaming console, software, a programming language, software platform, or an operating system."

also, let me kindly point you to this obscure, behind-the-times website that talks about a computer software store that sells "apps" for desktop/laptop computers. these apps range from photo editing to video games. app is not exclusive to mobile.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I've never played a Killzone game. I hope it's good because it's the game I got bundlefucked with. No other retail exclusives interest me.

Well on the one hand, the previous Killzones were COD-clone dross.

On the other hand, this one doesn't look much like the previous Killzones.

It could go either way, frankly.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Well on the one hand, the previous Killzones were COD-clone dross.

On the other hand, this one doesn't look much like the previous Killzones.

It could go either way, frankly.

Shadow Fall looks closer to CoD than 2 and 3 tho, the movement and aiming are less weighty. Things seem more snappier.

Looks like an absolute marvel technically and gameplay wise so Yes.

10497262856_aeb43d977c_o.gif

In Glorious 1080p as well.
To think that this is going to look booboo in two or three years is exciting.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
NBA 2k14 will be more of a "killer app" than this game. Meaning neither is a killer app. It doesn't have one. Wii Sports was a killer app. Ask yourself, is KZ as big as Wii Sports? Lolno.

for me it is.... but looking at my avatar I guess I am pretty biased :p

also KZ changed a lot of things in their SP in order to branch away from the more generic linearly paced SP we see today in most shooters

apana

For successful Sony consoles it has mostly been the third party games and the overall ecosystem that have been the killer app. I think people are just ready for a new console and PS4 is going to be that console. It doesn't have much to do with a particular game. The killer app for Sony was announcing that they weren't going to be following the DRM path.

NBA 2k14 will be more of a "killer app" than this game. Meaning neither is a killer app. It doesn't have one. Wii Sports was a killer app. Ask yourself, is KZ as big as Wii Sports? Lolno.

I don't think KZ will be a killer app, but this isn't the right way to look at it. No game is as big as an already established killer app before it is released.

Killzone's design has changes: it has a greater mix of environments, the gameplay has open levels and it eschewing regular multi-player progression. Finally, it is a graphical showcase at the launch of a hyped console, that gives it a shot to be something special. Halo definitely wasn't on my radar until it was out and I played it, not that GG has Bungie's pedigree at this point, but you never know.

Is Killzone: Shadowfall PS4's killer app? No. But it could be, let's play and see.

PS4's killer app is whatever Druckman's team at Naughty Dog is working on.

SF looks awesome but it's just a fps with current gen gameplay and next gen visuals and performance. It might elevate the KZ franchise to where they want it to be but it's not the next Uncharted 2/TLoU.

For successful Sony consoles it has mostly been the third party games and the overall ecosystem that have been the killer app. I think people are just ready for a new console and PS4 is going to be that console. It doesn't have much to do with a particular game. The killer app for Sony was announcing that they weren't going to be following the DRM path.

That's all great for enthusiasts, but means nothing in the context of 'killer app', which is a single piece of software that moves hardware in a significant way among mainstream consumers.

Top Bottom