• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4's killer app?

Interfectum

It's not a killer app. A massive amount of people aren't going to buy the PS4 specifically to play Killzone. It's the opposite. The PS4 is Killzone's killer app.

mrlovepump

Neo Member
This Killzone is quite important as there will be many 360ers moving over and will many getting the KZ bundle this will be their first taste of the game.

Sony was quite smart to push a KZ bundle because if it wasnt packed in I am sure many non-ps3ers would have just opted for BF and/or COD and it would of been forgotten.

For sure though every new console needs that graphics game that people buy for no other reason than to show off their new toy to friends / family. You wont admit it but you know its true. As others have said thats why Ryse will sell regardless of it looking about as fun as w**king with barbed wire wrapped around your fist.

Arsenic

Some of you fans are crazy. The game looks good yes, but killer app, no. Ask yourself if this game has more hype or promise than the killer apps of the PS3. KZ2 was a fantastic and fun ass game to play, yet it still received an underwhelming response. I feel this will bemore of the same, minus the better gameplay.

It looks pretty neat, and I am not a first person shooter guy at all. I will probably get bored halfway through, though, especially since I don't play games online generally.

grumble

I'm assuming it'll be a fairly good FPS; great graphics, mediocre story and so-so gameplay like the previous titles. I understand that Killzone has a dedicated fanbase on GAF, but it's not quite a top-level shooter.

Camisado

It looks OK, the fact that it has to be the 'killer app' for PS4 is a more than a little depressing though.

Had Infamous: Second Son made it at launch nothing would be able to contain my levels of hype.

Coolwhip

Banned
Looks like an absolute marvel technically and gameplay wise so Yes.

10497262856_aeb43d977c_o.gif

In Glorious 1080p as well.

Looks good, but what gameplay marvel do you mean exactly?

Nymphae

Banned
...but it's not quite a top-level shooter.

I feel like this is the general attitude towards the game, and I really wonder why. I've never played the other games, but it looks like a very solid shooter with a unique look, great graphics, and apparently solid multiplayer. I feel like COD/BF just had so much mindshare people didn't bother with KZ, also because of platform exclusivity.

njean777

Some of you fans are crazy. The game looks good yes, but killer app, no. Ask yourself if this game has more hype or promise than the killer apps of the PS3. KZ2 was a fantastic and fun ass game to play, yet it still received an underwhelming response. I feel this will bemore of the same, minus the better gameplay.

I guess 8-9's are underwhelming...

Anyways it is the killer app for me. Been waiting for a new killzone.

Boss Man

Killzone: SF isn't going to sell PS4s on its own merit so no. Infamous, Naughty Dog, the Order, or Sony Santa Monica are going to be the ones to deliver that "killer app" (I don't like the term killer app)
I agree with this notion. I disagree that Killzone definitely won't move PS4s though.

Since all of that 'core' community will be hopping over to PS4, if Killzone happens to be the best FPS to play then people will hear that and start buying PS4s to play it. I'm not saying it will be, but I think this is definitely its chance to deliver and become *the* shooter or not deliver and continue to be a shooter.

Personally I think the Killzone franchise is going to be a lot bigger next gen.

wizzbang

Banned
I feel like this is the general attitude towards the game, and I really wonder why. I've never played the other games, but it looks like a very solid shooter with a unique look, great graphics, and apparently solid multiplayer. I feel like COD/BF just had so much mindshare people didn't bother with KZ, also because of platform exclusivity.

Killzone 2 is by no means an amazing shooter. It's got a mediocre story and several frustratingly difficult sections in the game.
HOWEVER, it's more than competent, it's quite solid and I frankly really enjoyed both. The story is so lame I skip it (and I NEVER skip story)

The gunplay is fantastic and frankly, FUCK the whiners about the weight, it feels fucking great. You feel like a big heavy padded soldier when moving and aiming your heavy gun but in all the right ways.
Really fun games, graphically mindblowing at points too. I think they are under rated.

Man

Resistance Fall of Man sold more for PS3 launch, KZ will not sell like that at all.
Really? Resistance (PS3 cost $599 at the time) went up against a clearly better looking Gears of War which was on a cheaper competitive platform.
Killzone Shadowfall is undoubtedly the best looking next-gen console release of 2013.
Every Killzone outing has sold better than any Resistance outing including the original.

KAL2006

Banned
It's starting to look like a killer app for me. For various reasons, the graphics look to be the best for next gen, with 1080p, and 60FPS for multiplayer. Thye artstyle is also great. But like some people it doesn't end with just graphics, this Killzone seems to look great in other areas too. The story seems much better looking at the trailers and I just like the synopsis on this one as it's not some crazy all out galactic war. The story also seems more personal looking at the trailer it seems Guerilla Games are putting some emphasis on story this time. Finally the gameplay fopr singleplayer looks way better than the old Killzone games and COD/Battlefield games. It isn't linear and has much more open spaces, where you can do objectives how you want, add destructable walls, and the Owl to the mix it seems like a more fresher experience than your average linear shooter. Finally I love that they made Multiplayer 60FPS and have everything unlocked in the get go, the announcement of free maps in the future is also another bonus. Seems like a great package to me, and not just a graphics showcase some people make out it to be.

If it does good, I hope this IP succeeds how Uncharted was a breakout hit with Uncharted 2. Same for inFamous Second Son.

Killzone 2 is by no means an amazing shooter. It's got a mediocre story and several frustratingly difficult sections in the game.
HOWEVER, it's more than competent, it's quite solid and I frankly really enjoyed both. The story is so lame I skip it (and I NEVER skip story)

The gunplay is fantastic and frankly, FUCK the whiners about the weight, it feels fucking great. You feel like a big heavy padded soldier when moving and aiming your heavy gun but in all the right ways.
Really fun games, graphically mindblowing at points too. I think they are under rated.

you don't simulate weight with input lag. it was input lag.

Do people not realize that attempting to dub any PS platform game as a 'killer app' is a sure for way to curse it?

Every time that term starts getting thrown around the game launches and falls short. Let's just leave it alone and see what happens. It will be a good seller during the launch year for sure but it's not going to be a halo or TLoU.

Killzone and infamous are nowhere near killer apps. Not even in the same ballpark. They're just the best games available that will likely be bought with the console. That doesn't mean they will sell consoles in significant numbers.

Mario 64 was a killer app. Halo was a killer app.

todd360

I feel like everyone is underestimating this game. I really hope it proves everyone wrong and is perhaps the best launch game of November.

FPS market is overloaded at launch, but Killzone has the best chance of delivering a great single player...probably of all the launch games across both platforms.

If Killzone can deliver the promise for SP, the game may finally cement the IP further than Killzone 2 was able to... the multiplayer has too much competition to stick out as a killer app, but at least it looks solid. Personally, the SP potential has me real excited.

I'm really surprised that they are holding the MP reveals back. I want to see some custom warzone gameplay and more video trailers focusing on the gameplay features for MP.

Acheteedo

If they knock it out of the park, then sure. It needs to be considered a superior game to BF4 and CoD for this to happen. Otherwise it's just FPS number 3 at launch.

Can't wait to play it myself, it's already superior to BF4 and CoD for my tastes, but I'm not everybody.

Aw, no need to be so negative. I know I've experienced many "magical" games over the past console cycle. It does happen.

Hehe, I hear ya. And Killzone does look great. But I don't understand why people place so much importance on there being this ONE game that's going to get everyone to buy the console, when in reality not everyone wants the same things and won't be looking for that one game. Especially prior to launch when we've barely seen what Sony's really cooking.

Unless you're Nintendo, in which case...MarioKart or something.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Unless you're Nintendo...
I think that's where the "killer app" narrative really comes from anyway. They're the only ones who've ever really succeeded in selling any games at or near a 1:1 ratio with their hardware. It's long been one of the ways of trying to downplay Sony's greater emphasis on catalog diversity since they got into the console market. But it's only really been a good metric for Nintendo consoles, not really any other platforms released in the past decade or more.

ZaCH3000

People need to check out the new SP demo. The sandbox gameplay is very impressive. Playing as a secret agent has opened up gameplay options to be stealth, go in guns blazing, disable the entire maps communications, have thrill ride style set pieces, etc.

The range of missions in that forest level is much more diverse than I could have imagined. At one point, the player literally starts scaling a mountain to get to an objective on the map.

I understand why there is skepticism but the footage is out there that should at least be inspiring. The negativity for the sake of negativity this game gets literally makes no sense to me as a fan of games based on the footage GG has shown.

It could be.

Grand Theft Auto didn't become a "killer app" franchise until 3. I've never been drawn to Killzone until now, but I'm going in with an open mind.

Kade

Isn't it Sony's least popular/lowest selling exclusive franchise (Might actually be Infamous but Killzone might the better seller)?

It may be a killer app to some GAF posters but the masses don't care enough about Killzone, based on 3 allegedly selling significantly worse than 2 and allegedly more pre-orders for BF4 and CoD: Ghosts on PS4 than Killzone Shadowfall. It doesn't really offer anything of note to the FPS playing masses. if they want large scale MP, they'll go to Battlefield; if they want fast paced arena twitch MP, they'll play CoD. There is no middle ground for them. The campaign just looks like Syndicate if the publishers/developers cared for it (I am in the minority that enjoyed Syndicate so maybe I'll enjoy Shadowfall's campaign but it's a series I generally don't care about) and we know how well that sold. Enthusiasts have no problem picking up new games, everyone else is going to stick with what they know and what's proven. They didn't care about texture resolution and polycounts last gen so they won't care this gen either.

Looks like an absolute marvel technically and gameplay wise so Yes.

10497262856_aeb43d977c_o.gif

In Glorious 1080p as well.

Okay GG is just showing off with that vehicle going by at the end and casting a shadow through the fog. This is going to look amazing at 1080p on your home system.

Isn't it Sony's least popular/lowest selling exclusive franchise (Might actually be Infamous but Killzone might the better seller)?

It may be a killer app to some GAF posters but the masses don't care enough about Killzone, based on 3 allegedly selling significantly worse than 2 and allegedly more pre-orders for BF4 and CoD: Ghosts on PS4 than Killzone Shadowfall. It doesn't really offer anything of note to the FPS playing masses. if they want large scale MP, they'll go to Battlefield; if they want fast paced arena twitch MP, they'll play CoD. There is no middle ground for them. The campaign just looks like Syndicate if the publishers/developers cared for it (I am in the minority that enjoyed Syndicate so maybe I'll enjoy Shadowfall's campaign but it's a series I generally don't care about) and we know how well that sold. Enthusiasts have no problem picking up new games, everyone else is going to stick with what they know and what's proven. They didn't care about texture resolution and polycounts last gen so they won't care this gen either.

If 3 million+ copies is Sony's lowest selling franchise then they are in great shape.

WoolyNinja

Not sure there really are "killer apps" anymore. Can anyone tell me of a killer app on the Xbox 360 or PS3? There really was never one game that made people need to go out and buy either.

Riky

$MSFT
I think Killzone has a lot more traction as a franchise in Europe, personally it's my favourite Sony exclusive, if it wasn't a launch title I wouldn't be getting a PS4 at launch.

I agree with this notion. I disagree that Killzone definitely won't move PS4s though.

Since all of that 'core' community will be hopping over to PS4, if Killzone happens to be the best FPS to play then people will hear that and start buying PS4s to play it. I'm not saying it will be, but I think this is definitely its chance to deliver and become *the* shooter or not deliver and continue to be a shooter.

Personally I think the Killzone franchise is going to be a lot bigger next gen.

Yeah, it'll sell really well. GG did a good job getting this out in time for launch. Most PS4 buyers will pick it up just for that next gen feel and lack of other games. This game is going to get a lot of attention. They made a good decision switching the visual style of the game. It really sets it apart from the other shooters out there.

Can you imagine if MS would have played their cards a little better and not released Halo 4 last year and made a next gen one for launch?

Samyy

Yeah, it'll sell really well. GG did a good job getting this out in time for launch. Most PS4 buyers will pick it up just for that next gen feel and lack of other games. This game is going to get a lot of attention. They made a good decision switching the visual style of the game. It really sets it apart from the other shooters out there.

Can you imagine if MS would have played their cards a little better and not released Halo 4 last year and made a next gen one for launch?

That would be stupid of them to do, as the Xbox will sell a ton/sell out anyway, so its not like its going to significantly help move units this winter.

It can do that next winter. Makes a million times more sense.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Killzone: SF isn't going to sell PS4s on its own merit so no. Infamous, Naughty Dog, the Order, or Sony Santa Monica are going to be the ones to deliver that "killer app" (I don't like the term killer app)

Kinda ironic that you guys say this concerning Infamous considering that the KZ series has consistently outsold Infamous but hey everyone has their own opinions. From what we've seen of both titles, I'm under the impression that KZSF is doing more in the effort to differentiate itself from the other games in it's franchise.

Top Bottom