• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4's killer app?

Bundy

Banned
- The PS4 is the PS4's killer app
- SONY's 1st Party Studios are PS4's killer app
- PlayStation PLUS is PS4's killer app
etc. etc.

And yes, KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL is one of SONY's most wanted titles at the moment (check the pre-order forcasts)

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
What does multi-gen have to do with anything? An exclusive doesn't make it automatically superior to multi-gen titles - especially for next-gen.

Can't speak for COD or AC, but BF4 began with assets for the PC. That in it's own right makes it have assets that surpass the next-gen consoles, so insinuating a "dumbed-down" approach to graphics for a multi-platform game for these next-gen titles is just wrong IMO.

Division of resources

Division of resources

Are you speaking in the sense that only a few are working on a title for a port? For *all* of those games listed (i.e. BF, COD, and AC) - their teams are so large that 1 team is probably bigger than GG as a whole. I mean you are talking Ubisoft, Activision and EA here.

Jibbed

It's getting closer with every iteration to becoming something great, but I'm probably not alone in thinking Killzone 3 was a step back from 2 in some regards.

Eusis

I disagree with the semantics of 'open-ended'. The game isn't really open-ended like say FarCry 3, Crysis 1 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. They just basically took some of the on-the-rails shooting and gave the player a few branches to veer off from. The game still requires you to get back on-the-rails at some point to progress, so it's not like people will spend 50+hrs in the SP campaign just going around experimenting with stuff or doing a whole bunch of side missions. I'm sure the enemies don't respawn and I'm sure you will have save points throughout the game. I'm guessing the game will be more like Dishonored than anything. And I only played through that game 1x. Didn't care much for the other branching paths that led to a different ending.

What does multi-gen have to do with anything? An exclusive doesn't make it automatically superior to multi-gen titles - especially for next-gen.

Can't speak for COD or AC, but BF4 began with assets for the PC. That in it's own right makes it have assets that surpass the next-gen consoles, so insinuating a "dumbed-down" approach to graphics for a multi-platform game for these next-gen titles is just wrong IMO.
Ok, between these two posts I think you have something of an issue getting what we're saying. I know Killzone Shadow Fall's not going to be some wide open FPS, but we're in such a crazy state of hyper linearity that, yes, games as open as Dishonored ARE a breath of fresh air, nevermind these middlegrounds aren't as appreciated as I think they should be. Hell, just look at the examples I pulled up: Goldeneye wasn't THAT open ended nor was Dark Forces, but they are a step up above what the likes of CoD bother to offer.

And his post didn't seem to be actively downplaying cross gen games, but rather pointing out that this is one of the only next gen titles specifically built for this next generation without being rushed (or so we hope anyway) or bothering to either accomodate last gen or developed with only that in mind in the first place. This doesn't really guarantee quality or anything, but it can be seen as one of the only true next gen titles for now.

Dodecagon

Are you speaking in the sense that only a few are working on a title for a port? For *all* of those games listed (i.e. BF, COD, and AC) - their teams are so large that 1 team is probably bigger than GG as a whole. I mean you are talking Ubisoft, Activision and EA here.

The results speak for themselves. The team sizes are comparable to last gen team sizes and is more of a result of (semi)annualized games, not infinite resources.

REV 09

It looks solid but no, Killzone has never been a killer app...maybe if it was a new ip with a few more changes. Good launch game for the fans though.

skybald

Killzone: SF isn't going to sell PS4s on its own merit so no. Infamous, Naughty Dog, the Order, or Sony Santa Monica are going to be the ones to deliver that "killer app" (I don't like the term killer app)

Well it sold me. I don't see why those other games are supposed system sellers and Killzone is not.

Ok, between these two posts I think you have something of an issue getting what we're saying. I know Killzone Shadow Fall's not going to be some wide open FPS, but we're in such a crazy state of hyper linearity that, yes, games as open as Dishonored ARE a breath of fresh air, nevermind these middlegrounds aren't as appreciated as I think they should be. Hell, just look at the examples I pulled up: Goldeneye wasn't THAT open ended nor was Dark Forces, but they are a step up above what the likes of CoD bother to offer.

I get what you are saying and agree. The FPS games have become way too short and way to linear. They even don't tell a compelling story. So I get your point on that. I'm just saying that even with this small deviation from the norm in KZ:SF doesn't guarantee taking away the feeling that you are playing a shooter on rails.

And his post didn't seem to be actively downplaying cross gen games, but rather pointing out that this is one of the only next gen titles specifically built for this next generation without being rushed (or so we hope anyway) or bothering to either accomodate last gen or developed with only that in mind in the first place. This doesn't really guarantee quality or anything, but it can be seen as one of the only true next gen titles for now.

I get that completely. But I still think that some of these games coming to next-gen were built from the ground up for next-gen like Crysis 3, Watch Dogs, BF4, and some other multi-platform games. I just think developers reverted to making the games from the ground up on the highest end platform and then down-porting as opposed to how it was last gen. So in essence, the quality you see in KZ:SF can be seen in BF4 at the very least from what we've seen so far. I do however, agree with the majority of the next-gen mutliplats coming out.. like AC4 which we won't see the absolute best that game can offer until it releases on the PC.

The results speak for themselves. The team sizes are comparable to last gen team sizes and is more of a result of (semi)annualized games, not infinite resources.

The results do speak for themselves... While COD and AC4 may not stand up to the visual splendor of KZ:SF, BF4 does -- which isn't anything new since DICE has always been in the forefront of technology in previous generations as well as GG. I'd also like to point out that while the bigger teams at the larger companies are there to work on several titles, I believe the creative teams definitely have an edge in developing unique assets due to their large size.

Joeki11a

Banned
Nope

The shooter scene has never liked Killzone
We had 4 of them since PS2 and all have been disrespected.

why is COD the biggest selling game on PS3?
thats horrible, we saw 3 Killzones on PS3 and none of them outsold COD games.

Dodecagon

The results do speak for themselves... While COD and AC4 may not stand up to the visual splendor of KZ:SF, BF4 does -- which isn't anything new since DICE has always been in the forefront of technology in previous generations as well as GG. I'd also like to point out that while the bigger teams at the larger companies are there to work on several titles, I believe the creative teams definitely have an edge in developing unique assets due to their large size.

So you're saying if BF4 had the entire technology team focusing on fewer platforms, there'd be no discernable difference in quality because of team size.

Just because it subjectively looks good now doesn't mean it couldn't get better.

keuja

Killer app no. Graphical showcase yes.
Not saying it won't be great but KZ hasn't reached a level of popularity yet that would allow qualifying it as a killer app.

nynt9

Absolutely. The next-gen show-case game as far as I'm concerned.

- 1080p.
- Open ended gameplay.
- Huge levels with lots of branching paths and layers.
- Amazing scale and vistas.
- 10+ hours SP campaign length.
- Multiple ways to tackle each level.
- Open dynamic mission objectives in many levels.
- 35fps to 40fps SP and 60fps MP.
- Amazing production values and visuals.
- Much more emphasis on the narrative and characters.
- Complete overhaul in art and gameplay direction from previous games in the franchise.
- New OWL gameplay elements and tactics.
- No aim assist.
- Experience'less MP.
- No splash screens and logo's.
- No loading times.
- Mass array of MP options.
- Free DLC competitive maps (10 ship with the game, at least 6 more free maps to follow).
- All weapons unlocked from the get go.
- 1500+ skill based objectives and challenges in the MP.

QFT.

Personally my killer app is Remote play on launch and Infamous later, but I'm really excited for this game for the reasons mentioned above. Especially the open endedness.

Putty

Killer App, in the sense of...can it achieve GT/Halo status? after 4/5 games clearly not, but neither has the Unchartered series, and that seems to be doing pretty darn well! Its clearly a very VERY good looking game, with what looks like the gameplay to match but i think the masses just don't connect like the aforementioned.

Cyborg

- The PS4 is the PS4's killer app
- SONY's 1st Party Studios are PS4's killer app
- PlayStation PLUS is PS4's killer app
etc. etc.

And yes, KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL is one of SONY's most wanted titles at the moment (check the pre-order forcasts)

This, I love the PS+ service. This is so amazing, so much value for only 50 euro.

highrider

Banned
Nope

The shooter scene has never liked Killzone
We had 4 of them since PS2 and all have been disrespected.

why is COD the biggest selling game on PS3?
thats horrible, we saw 3 Killzones on PS3 and none of them outsold COD games.

Cod outsells just about everything though. I think Killzone has always been on the brink of being pretty successful, and shadow fall looks to be a real contender.

Also, i see Killzone 2 for the most part being highly respected by fps fans, so I'm not sure what you mean by shooter scene.

It looks solid but no, Killzone has never been a killer app...maybe if it was a new ip with a few more changes. Good launch game for the fans though.
You know there is a bit of a history with the third to fourth game in the franchise being a breakout hit. COD4, RE4, Elders Scrolls IV, Fallout 3. I don't think the franchise not being massively popular to date has a real bearing. Generally it's reflective of a franchise getting a considerable shakeup, which Shadowfall has done.

Now whether that translates into a great game and something people want, we will have to wait and see

There is also a lot of history of launch titles being disproportionately popular (Resistance). I can see KZ picking up a lot of sales just for being a launch title, the key will be being good enough to generate buzz and return customers to the franchise

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
When i think abuot it, Kill Zone's reputation may be the weak point of the game. It would have probably done better being an original ip.
That's exactly how I feel.

Everything about the game looks to be fresh and amazing. I seems like a genuinely top tier FPS and could stand out as one of the best we've seen in a while.

It also has next to nothing to do with Killzone. It would have been the perfect time to launch a new IP.

Another gen, more people waiting for the one magic game that doesn't exist.
Aw, no need to be so negative. I know I've experienced many "magical" games over the past console cycle. It does happen.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dunno, I can see this game take off actually. It's the biggest exclusive on the PS4 for sure and it will get heavely bundled.

Maybe Killzone hasn't been as big as it's fps peers, but it is pretty genius to call this game ShadowFall instead of 4. It's like a reboot kind of thing and if it get's populair enough maybe GG will ditch the Killzone name and the next game in the series will be called ShadowFall 2.

Sorc3r3r

Or now or nevermore for GG and Sony.

For me it will be hard, the competition is fierce with CoD and B4, but, at the start of a new generation everything is possible and the fact that KSF is the only FPS that is not cross gen, that has been thought with the ps4 specs could help a lot.

And i think that CoD will not be the beast it used to be till now.

DBT85

I wonder how much not having 4 in the title was a direct attempt to restart the franchise while still keeping the Killzone name?

A killer app for people that literally only care about graphics. KZ will probably have the worst gameplay out of all the shooters on next-gen consoles, including F2P titles.

Apoc87

Banned
A killer app for people that literally only care about graphics. KZ will probably have the worst gameplay out of all the shooters on next-gen consoles, including F2P titles.

I have faith in this one. I heard KZ:M singleplayer was pretty good and replayable, and people saying that Shadowfall's gameplay is somewhat open ended has me pretty excited.

It's what I loved about the Halo series. Multiple ways to approach a battle.

It may be my only launch week game, so I willy certainly be playing it and expect it to be the killer app. Just wish Driveclub was there, but that seems like a Day One Full game purchase, probably online with the PS Plus Discount.

Don't want another shooter and am not convinced that AC4 is that much better on PS3.

Holding out for Knack reviews for my second game for this year.

I'm not expecting it to be a killer app. Its a good launch game to tide us over until Sony's heavy-hitters release something. I'm looking at you Naughty Dog.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Funny, I think it will offer the BEST gameplay out of every shooter.

Of course, I'm in it for the SP campaign not the multiplayer.

Well, based on Amazon's Top Video Game Sales of the year, it is. At least in relation to all other next gen games, it is THE next gen killer app.

That could be due to the eye candy, small launch selection, other games were made cross platform, etc. etc. But yeah, in relationship to sales numbers, it appears it will be the killer next gen launch app.

Nymphae

Banned
No. They don't have a killer game. Knack + KZ + Driveclub together were a good spread, but now its potentially not.

I think we'll see a lot of PS4 owners (like me) pick up Call of Duty or Battlefield before picking up Killzone.

Disagree, this has killer app written all over it. Exclusive, gameplay looks fresher than most shooters, graphics look more next gen than anything I've seen anywhere (minus PC of course), plus the franchise has a good track record. This comes from someone completely burned out on shooters, and I've never even played a Killzone game. Can't fucking wait.

Arsenic

Dunno, I can see this game take off actually. It's the biggest exclusive on the PS4 for sure and it will get heavely bundled.

Maybe Killzone hasn't been as big as it's fps peers, but it is pretty genius to call this game ShadowFall instead of 4. It's like a reboot kind of thing and if it get's populair enough maybe GG will ditch the Killzone name and the next game in the series will be called ShadowFall 2.

Once upon a time Vince Zampella and co wanted to drop the "Call of Duty" title from Modern Warfare. Obviously, Activision said fuck no.

I always felt Killzone was underrated. The game deserves a lot more attention that it has.

Killzone 2 is probably one of my favorite shooters of all time.

Now with Shadow Fall, it's looks even better and seems like a blast to play. I hope the game gets the sales it deserves and hope there will be more Killzone in the future... Being a launch title will probably help it.

1080p, 60fps in multi... Yes please !

x-Lundz-x

Considering it's the only true next-gen FPS to launch on the consoles I would say yes, it is the PS4's killer app for launch certainly. It's going to be the first game that goes in my box so...

For now, yes.

Isn't it the most pre-ordered launch exclusive?

Not saying much, the only other launch exclusive is Knack, well at least for retail stuff that can be preordered.

I've never been a huge fan of killzone games, but this one has peaked my interest. I don't believe it's a "killer app" because I believe a "killer app" is a game that is so good or at least interesting enough that people will buy a console just to play. I feel like it's the other way around, people WANT a PS4 and are buying Killzone SF because they think it is the best of their current options for launch titles. I've yet to hear anyone say they are buying a PS4 just so they can play Killzone. Personally I am buying my PS4 because I think overall Sony has great studios developing for them, and I love Infamous. I'm getting a launch PS4 because I am excited to jump into next-gen, even though I wouldn't pay full price for any of the launch games on either console, if they were for current gen.

Top Bottom