• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata predicted the current state of XBOX and PlayStation…

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Lies. Sega did what Nintendont ( sorry I’ve always wanted to use that one)
Golden Globes Laughing GIF

After all most of us have been through the real console wars (16/32 bit wars) we can all get along now. Nothing to worry about her. Just some old veterans reminiscing about days gone by.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Reaction GIF

apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nintendo bullshit and cover for they didn't want to spend money on the internet and high def games and gave us the Wii and Wii U.
Still, I guess retirement homes miss the Wii. The Wii us up there with the Atari Jaguar as the worst consoles I've ever owned
The Wii U was a pretty good console had some good games (yeah a lot got ported to the switch). Really liked Zombi-U.
Wish I never sold it now.
Plus it can be used to play Wii games.

But to each their own

My worse console I actually owned was the 360. But not because of lack of games. It kept RROD on me. (Red ring of death). But I managed to get it sorted. But it went to CEX when I needed money. (No not for drugs.)

He did and he didn't. He was referring to the upcoming consoles at the time which were successful. He was right on the whole increasing workload etc. Games now are insanely long to develop and yet Nintendo can release something like Mario Kart and outsell God of War, Forbidden West etc combined. No doubt, increasingly on here, more people are saying yeah it looks better but how is it mechanically different to what we had 10 years ago. You're still having to squeeze through gaps etc.

Alan Wake

So when did he say this? During the Wii and Wii U eras Nintendo had good reason to say power and CPU didn't matter. Xbox is suffering from other bigger issues than this.

Wildebeest

He is right and wrong. The big publishers who made the "mainstream" annual content such as FIFA and CoD had already left Nintendo, so they had no alternative but to adapt or die the fact that they needed to make more novel and creative games. Today, the consoles are on life support due to the fact that they are places where people are comfortable playing "live service" versions of things like sports games and online shooters.

yurinka

Video worth watching. Puts a lot of things going on today into context.

TLDR: Iwata basically said that XBOX/PlayStation focusing only on chasing power/performance/visuals over time vs gameplay innovation will lead to more complicated development cycles and fewer output of quality experiences for people to enjoy.
Nintendo focused almost exclusively on iterating 30-40 years old IPs and refurbish ports, not in gameplay innovation.

Sony instead a low in new IP, stuff like Playlink, VR or DualSense stuff and creative stuff like Journey, Dreams, Death Stranding, plus in creative reinterpretation and improvements of different classic genres with titles like GoW2018 or Helldivers 2, or even gaming narrative in Uncharted. And Sony's gameplay is top notch in most of their games.

Having high end visuals doesn't mean the games have worse gameplay or innovation, this assumption is bullshit. Having worse visuals/horsepower only means to have worse visuals/horsepower.

Nintendo had to shut down their home console business, Sony is the market leader. They can suck Sony's balls.

Didnt Nintendo say like last week that their development time and costs were going up as well?
Yes, Nintendo chooses poor horsepower to overprice their console and games more and get more profit margin, but even considering that every generation their device has to become more powerful, which also means more expensive games.

Last edited:
Video worth watching. Puts a lot of things going on today into context.

TLDR: Iwata basically said that XBOX/PlayStation focusing only on chasing power/performance/visuals over time vs gameplay innovation will lead to more complicated development cycles and fewer output of quality experiences for people to enjoy.

Why is putting this on Sony/MS?

Xbox and PS are platform holders. They make the hardware and nobody can point to a single policy rule they have that prohibits low visual fidelity, low performance, and innovative games.

There are a ton of gameplay-focused games on both these platforms.

Iwata is making excuses for Nintendo putting out hardware with shitty performance because they want to make a profit on the hardware. That's the only real difference between Nintendo and PS/Xbox.

If Nintendo had more current technology in their hardware, they'd get all the same multiplatform power/performance/visual-focused games that XB/PS get; so this absurd narrative falls flat.

Last edited:
This has been true since the 360/PS3 generation. It's why Iwata pushed so hard to create something left field with DS and with Wii, to fix the issue they saw with GameCube. The issue is Nintendo went too far in the opposite direction, and burned the core gamer, and made it so a lot of their customers wanted to buy an Xbox or PS, because none of those games went to Wii or Wii U. By the time Nintendo course-corrected with Switch, the idea of competing with Xbox and PS with specs was such a foreign concept for them as a company, that it wasn't even a consideration. So since 2006, Nintendo has lost a majoriy of major third-party games also coming to their platform. And when they do, they are signifcantly worse-looking, have fewer online features, no trophies, altered inputs, no voice chat, etc.

Having said all that, Nintendo's current business model works well for them, as a company that makes proprietary hardware that functions mostly as a first-party software delivery system. When systems sell 100+ million, this model works amazingly well. When hardware sales lag, the system completely breaks down and they have heavy losses.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why is putting this on Sony/MS?

Xbox and PS are platform holders. They make the hardware and nobody can point to a single policy rule they have that prohibits low visual fidelity, low performance, and innovative games.

There are a ton of gameplay-focused games on both these platforms.

Iwata is making excuses for Nintendo putting out hardware with shitty performance because they want to make a profit on the hardware. That's the only real difference between Nintendo and PS/Xbox.

If Nintendo had more current technology in their hardware, they'd get all the same multiplatform power/performance/visual-focused games that XB/PS get; so this absurd narrative falls flat.

THANK YOU!!!! Best point stated in the thread!

And N64, Gamecube, Wii U flopped miserably.
been a steady downtrend since the SNES:
NES sold ~60m units worldwide
SNES sold ~50m units
N64 sold ~30m
GCN sold ~20m

and compared to wii, PS1, and PS2 (~100m, ~100m, and ~150m, respectively), theyre all failures.

interesting to me is in the americas, the SNES and n64 sold about the same (23m vs 21m). N64 had some love.

Perrott

"Fewer output of quality experiences for people to enjoy", says the company that in the seven years of the Nintendo Switch - a console with PS3/360 era technical capabilities - only managed to launch, in terms of original games, only two Zelda games (one cross-gen), two Splatoon games, two Fire Emblem games, one 3D Mario, one 2D Mario, one Animal Crossing, one Super Smash Bros., one Bayonetta, one Luigi's Mansion, one Astral Chain, one Pikmin, one 2D Metroid, no Mario Kart, no StarFox, no F-Zero, no Donkey Kong, and no Metroid Prime. The rest of the catalogue is composed of mediocre spin-off series and remakes/remasters.

Over the course of the PS3/360 generation, Microsoft and Sony launched, again talking original mainline games, four Halo, four Gears of War, four mainline Ratchet & Clank, three Uncharted, three Resistance, three MotorStorm, three Forza MotorSport, two Gran Turismo, two Killzone, two God of War, two David Cage games, two LittleBigPlanet, two inFAMOUS, two White Knight Chronicles, two Warhawk/Starhawk, two Everybody's Golf, countless new IP and one-offs... you get the point. And that was with them splitting their resources between X360 and Kinect on the Xbox side, and PS3, PSP, Vita and Move on the Sony side.

Nintendo has not lived up to Iwata's statements in the slightest, hence why said statements are inaccurate.

Last edited:

Woopah

Nintendo focused almost exclusively on iterating 30-40 years old IPs and refurbish ports, not in gameplay innovation.

Sony instead a low in new IP, stuff like Playlink, VR or DualSense stuff and creative stuff like Journey, Dreams, Death Stranding, plus in creative reinterpretation and improvements of different classic genres with titles like GoW2018 or Helldivers 2, or even gaming narrative in Uncharted. And Sony's gameplay is top notch in most of their games.

Having high end visuals doesn't mean the games have worse gameplay or innovation, this assumption is bullshit. Having worse visuals/horsepower only means to have worse visuals/horsepower.

Nintendo had to shut down their home console business, Sony is the market leader. They can suck Sony's balls.

Yes, Nintendo chooses poor horsepower to overprice their console and games more and get more profit margin, but even considering that every generation their device has to become more powerful, which also means more expensive games.
Their home console business isn't shut down though. They still sell console games that people play on their TV.

Thief1987

"Fewer output of quality experiences for people to enjoy", says the company that in the seven years of the Nintendo Switch - a console with PS3/360 era technical capabilities - only managed to launch, in terms of original games, only two Zelda games (one cross-gen), two Splatoon games, two Fire Emblem games, one 3D Mario, one 2D Mario, one Animal Crossing, one Super Smash Bros., one Bayonetta, one Luigi's Mansion, one Astral Chain, one Pikmin, one 2D Metroid, no Mario Kart, no StarFox, no F-Zero, and no Metroid Prime. The rest of the catalogue is composed of mediocre spin-off series and remakes/remasters.

Over the course of the PS3/360 generation, Microsoft and Sony launched, again talking original mainline games, four Halo, four Gears of War, four mainline Ratchet & Clank, three Uncharted, three Resistance, three MotorStorm, three Forza MotorSport, two Gran Turismo, two Killzone, two God of War, two David Cage games, two LittleBigPlanet, two inFAMOUS, two Warhawk/Starhawk, countless new IP and one-offs... you get the point. And that was with them splitting their resources between X360 and Kinect on the Xbox side, and PS3, PSP, Vita and Move on the Sony side.

Nintendo has not lived up to Iwata's statements in the slightest, hence why said statements are inaccurate.
You are talking too much sense, it's not welcome in the mushroom kingdom.

Perrott

Not really.

They shut down the ability to execute emulation software of other companies' devices on the Series consoles (which is reasonable, since allowing the possibility of playing the legacy PS games on Xbox hardware was like asking for Sony to sue them), but didn't actually nuke, say, DuckStation, PCSX2 or Dolphin out of existence the way Nintendo seems to have done with Yuzu and other emulators and even rom pages throughout the years.

Last edited:

Woopah

"Fewer output of quality experiences for people to enjoy", says the company that in the seven years of the Nintendo Switch - a console with PS3/360 era technical capabilities - only managed to launch, in terms of original games, only two Zelda games (one cross-gen), two Splatoon games, two Fire Emblem games, one 3D Mario, one 2D Mario, one Animal Crossing, one Super Smash Bros., one Bayonetta, one Luigi's Mansion, one Astral Chain, one Pikmin, one 2D Metroid, no Mario Kart, no StarFox, no F-Zero, and no Metroid Prime. The rest of the catalogue is composed of mediocre spin-off series and remakes/remasters.

Over the course of the PS3/360 generation, Microsoft and Sony launched, again talking original mainline games, four Halo, four Gears of War, four mainline Ratchet & Clank, three Uncharted, three Resistance, three MotorStorm, three Forza MotorSport, two Gran Turismo, two Killzone, two God of War, two David Cage games, two LittleBigPlanet, two inFAMOUS, two Warhawk/Starhawk, countless new IP and one-offs... you get the point. And that was with them splitting their resources between X360 and Kinect on the Xbox side, and PS3, PSP, Vita and Move on the Sony side.

They have definitely been disappointing very new IP wise, especially in the second half of the Switch's life.

I would add to your list two Kirby games, two Xenoades, one Arms, one Ring Fit Adventure and three Pokémon (though it seems Arceus is the only good one).

Perrott

They have definitely been disappointing very new IP wise, especially in the second half of the Switch's life.

I would add to your list two Kirby games, two Xenoades, one Arms, one Ring Fit Adventure and three Pokémon (though it seems Arceus is the only good one).
I forgot about those titles, but yeah, they absolutely count, and there's been also a Yoshi game on the Switch as well now that I think of it.

Pokemon I wouldn't really label as first-party given all the external parties involved that end up dragging the quality of Pokemon games so below Nintendo's standards, to the point that I'm really doing Nintendo a favor in not fully associating them with those messes.

jcorb

"Iwata Knew", while holding a Wii U gamepad. The pic for the video is unintentionally hilarious.

I mean, it *is* funny, but I also think the Wii U had the potential to completely change gaming. It just... didn't. They didn't have developers able to capitalize on the gamepad, which is a rare miss for Nintendo.

I always thought we could have have an AMAZING experience with something like D&D, allowing one player to serve as the DM. Or an FPS where (up to) four players played on the TV, while the person on the gamepad would serve as their handler, giving them intel only they could see, or just playing the game in a different way (more tactical).

And N64, Gamecube, Wii U flopped miserably.

The way people wanna see these CEOs as some sort of visionaries, lmao.

We all knew this was going to happen. So did Sony when they increased the prices of their games like 4 years ago. Nothing is new about this.
Most of what you’re saying is not true. Wii U was a flop, unquestionably. GameCube did ok, wasn’t a flop. N64 was certainly not a flop. It sold over 32 million units! What are you even talking about. In the context of the 1990s console market, N64 was considered very successful. GameCube less so, for sure, but not a flop.

Also, Iwata wasn’t made CEO until 2002. He had no involvement in n64. He was head of corporate planning and was heavily involved with creation of GameCube, but it was not considered a flop for the early 2000s home console market. Lots of multi-million sellers.

Woopah

I forgot about those titles, but yeah, they absolutely count, and there's been also a Yoshi game on the Switch as well now that I think of it.

Pokemon I wouldn't really label as first-party given all the external parties involved that end up dragging the quality of Pokemon games so below Nintendo's standards, to the point that I'm really doing Nintendo a favor in not fully associating them with those messes.
I'd say Arceus reviewed well enough to be included, same with Bayonetta Origins and Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, even if they are spinoff.

I agree that you are doing Nintendo a favour by not associating then with the other Pokémon games. Nintendo is just as responsible for the low quality of those games as they are for the low quality of the Mario Sports games or the high quality of Smash Bros.

Either way, I don't seevl their Switch output comparing unfavourably to what Sony did on PS3 or what MS did on 360 in terms of either quality or quantity. Its the originality area where it is certainly lacking, and I hope they fix that going forward.

It would have been much better if they only had 1 entry per franchise on Switch, and did more new IP instead.

Last edited:
Good lord I'm dreading the discourse of PS6 and next gen Xbox. It's just going to Insufferable graphics whoring
Modern AAA games remind me of Instathots: 90% eye candy, 10% personality.

Gameplay is king.

Nintendo games are like that cute next door girl... nothing fancy, but she sure knows how to "play" with you.

Yeah, I'm a bit tired of fake tits and zero brains.

Hell, I'd even argue Nintendo makes a more creative use of programmable shaders to invent new types of gameplay (like the ink mechanic in Splatoon). They don't just use pixel shaders for eye candy.

It was an inevitability, even with Nintendo. If consoles didn’t do it, phones would have done it. And if that happened phones would be killing consoles much faster.

I like what he says in theory, but you’d essentially be ‘fighting the future’ and even Nintendo could only do that for so long. He also was unfortunately unable to see how AI is about to change things for development.

The more I think about what he’s saying here, the more it feels like a time capsule quote rather than futuresight.
Or perhaps by the time Nintendo releases Switch 3 (a portable PS5 in the 2030s), AI usage will be commonplace in game development.

Switch 2 will be a portable PS4, so I'm sure they'll be able to handle game development just fine (as Sony did with the PS4).

Nintendo predicted the future perfectly since the GameCube era if you ask me. Way ahead of their time.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User

What is fascinating to me is that Nintendo basically already invented their IPs decades ago and now they only have to crank out a new Pokémon, Mario or Zelda every few years. The stories never get any better either.

Iwata was also responsible for the Wii U, an underpowerd console that flopped. Power isn't the issue, variety of software is.
Wii U software didn't have variety?

Come on, both Wii U and Switch have a very similar library.

Wii U was a proto-Switch, an early concept of how future gaming would look like and it didn't convince many people back then.

A proto-iPhone existed too, but that doesn't mean Apple was wrong in betting on a mobile future:

It's all a matter of timing.

Woopah

What is fascinating to me is that Nintendo basically already invented their IPs decades ago and now they only have to crank out a new Pokémon, Mario or Zelda every few years. The stories never get any better either.
They're genereally created and nurtured new series from each decade, up until the 2020s which has been terrible for new IP.
Wii U software didn't have variety?

Come on, both Wii U and Switch have a very similar library.

Wii U was a proto-Switch, an early concept of how future gaming would look like and it didn't convince many people back then.

A proto-iPhone existed too, but that doesn't mean Apple was wrong in betting on a mobile future:

It's all a matter of timing.
Wii U had terrible software variety yes. It had several problems, but a poor lineup was certainly one of them.

With Switch it's very different, since it's lineup was more appealing.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Most of what you’re saying is not true. Wii U was a flop, unquestionably. GameCube did ok, wasn’t a flop. N64 was certainly not a flop. It sold over 32 million units! What are you even talking about. In the context of the 1990s console market, N64 was considered very successful. GameCube less so, for sure, but not a flop.
Eh? Playstation sold 100 million in the same 90s. N64 was a flop, period.

Last edited:
Wii U had terrible software variety yes. It had several problems, but a poor lineup was certainly one of them.

With Switch it's very different, since it's lineup was more appealing.
So Splatoon and Mario Kart were "terrible" on Wii U, but "different" on Switch?

Makes sense.

Last edited:
Compared to the big consoles switch has no gameplay innovations
I would argue gyro aiming is a huge gameplay innovation for shooter fans. It offers almost mouse-like aiming in a controller.

Sony has barely used it on PS4/5 (Uncharted 4 didn't have it, despite people asking for it). Hell, PS Vita made more use of gyro controls. It's like Sony has forgotten their past.

Microsoft doesn't even have a gyro sensor in their controllers... no comparison really.
Nintendo lives on remakes and sell us 2 and sometimes 3 times the same “experience”
You mean just like TLOU1 in 3 successive generations?
No? I never said that. I said the lineups were different, not specific games were different.
Really?

I remember GAF complaining that Switch's library is mostly consisted of Wii U games.

Make up your mind...
What if... the switch 2 isn't a great succes? No failure but no breakout hit...
I doubt it's going to sell as much as Switch 1, but even half the amount of sales will be satisfactory.

Blame GenZ/Alpha kids and their parents for buying them Android tablets.

Bad parenting -> bad gaming choices :)

The Wii U was a pretty good console had some good games (yeah a lot got ported to the switch). Really liked Zombi-U.
Wish I never sold it now.
Plus it can be used to play Wii games.

But to each their own

My worse console I actually owned was the 360. But not because of lack of games. It kept RROD on me. (Red ring of death). But I managed to get it sorted. But it went to CEX when I needed money. (No not for drugs.)
I'd never sell my Wii U, despite having a Switch. It's even more rare (only 13.56 million units produced) than Bitcoin.

It's a highly underrated console, just like Dreamcast and the PS3.

March Climber

Gold Member
Nintendo predicted the future perfectly since the GameCube era if you ask me. Way ahead of their time.
I think they shaped it more than predicted it.

They have been shaping the future for almost 3 generations at this point. Easy to do so when one competitor mainly exists in the first place out of spite due to an initial bad console deal, and the other company exists because Bill Gates found a hobby and wanted to make an affordable gaming PC.

SonGoku

I would argue gyro aiming is a huge gameplay innovation for shooter fans. It offers almost mouse-like aiming in a controller.

Sony has barely used it on PS4/5 (Uncharted 4 didn't have it, despite people asking for it). Hell, PS Vita made more use of gyro controls. It's like Sony has forgotten their past.

Microsoft doesn't even have a gyro sensor in their controllers... no comparison really.
Does gyro aiming work on a controller as intuitively as on a handheld? i was under the impression it works best on handhelds

yurinka

Their home console business isn't shut down though. They still sell console games that people play on their TV.
PSP also had tv out, and Vita also had its TV sku called PlayStation TV.

Were they also home consoles your you?

Nintendo stoped making home consoles because with Wii as exception every generation they sold less than the previous one since the NES. And in the WiiU was too low to continue with another one. So they scrapped their home console business to move their resources where they were really successful and market leaders: the portable console market.

In this case with tvout, so you can also call it "hybrid" if you want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom