• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata predicted the current state of XBOX and PlayStation…

Robb

Gold Member
If high end consoles are the problem with getting games out in a timely manner then what the fuck is Nintendo's excuse?
Do they need one? In 2023 they pretty much released one game a month from their first party development studios.

What did Sony release from theirs? All I can recall is Spider-Man 2, Horizon: Complete Edition, Horizon: Call of the Mountain and MLB? So four games in total(?).

I guess MS had a few more with Hi-Fi Rush, Redfall, Starfield, Forza, Minecraft Legends and Quake Remake. But that’s still less than Nintendo, and MS has infinitely more studios than both Sony and Nintendo at this point.

Last edited:
Do they need one? In 2023 they pretty much released one game a month from their first party development studios.

What did Sony release from theirs? All I can recall is Spider-Man 2, Horizon: Complete Edition, Horizon: Call of the Mountain and MLB? So four games in total(?).

I guess MS had a few more with Hi-Fi Rush, Redfall, Starfield, Forza, Minecraft Legends and Quake Remake. But that’s still less than Nintendo, and MS has infinitely more studios than both Sony and Nintendo at this point.

Most of Nintendo's output come from third party studios. Not their internal.

Perrott

If they could they would.
30 and 25 years ago.

Their recent behavior over the past years has actually reflected that they don't give a shit, as the PSX, PS2, PS3 and PSP emulation scenes are allowed to thrive, both on the PC as well as on bespoke console hardware such as the Vita.

Celine

Not just Iwata, similar thoughts were common in Nintendo.
In fact you can find similar remarks by Hiroshi Yamauchi assessed during the '90s.

People are so used to see Nintendo as a major player in the videogame world cause they started producing console in the late '70s (way before Sony and Microsoft) and are still active and wildly popular to realize that the kind of console maker Nintendo is (first-party driven, game publisher with a platform business instead of a pure platform holder), which was common at the dawn of the industry, was destined to be squashed out by new entrants which were big corporation in other business fields like Sony and Microsoft spearheading a third-party driven model by leveraging their bigger resources (than typcal videogame companies).
If Nintendo not only survived but prospered as a special exception is due to the foundation of their success: luck, guts and vision.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

30 and 25 years ago.

Their recent behavior over the past years has actually reflected that they don't give a shit, as the PSX, PS2, PS3 and PSP emulation scenes are allowed to thrive, both on the PC as well as on bespoke console hardware such as the Vita.
Of course they don't care about their older not in store systems these days. After losing those lawsuits they had a "If you can't beat em join em" attitude by selling their scam PS1 classic with an outdated flawed emulator.

Last edited:
Most of what you’re saying is not true. Wii U was a flop, unquestionably. GameCube did ok, wasn’t a flop. N64 was certainly not a flop. It sold over 32 million units! What are you even talking about. In the context of the 1990s console market, N64 was considered very successful. GameCube less so, for sure, but not a flop.

Also, Iwata wasn’t made CEO until 2002. He had no involvement in n64. He was head of corporate planning and was heavily involved with creation of GameCube, but it was not considered a flop for the early 2000s home console market. Lots of multi-million sellers.
In what way wasn't N64 (32M units) a flop? It sold less than SNES (50M) that had already sold less than the NES (62M) which sold the DOUBLE of what N62 sold. This in a time Playstation was selling 100M units. That's all the context you need. Nintendo also lost a LOT of 3rd party publishers to Playstation including IPs like Final Fantasy.

Yes N64 had classic games but in no way they were available on a best selling console. Let's not try and re-write history.

And the Gamecube was a super flop. It did nothing for the industry and sold like 20M consoles. Even the newcomer Xbox sold more...a company that didn't have any history of selling consoles under their name.

I swear some of you are blinded by nostalgia...

Does gyro aiming work on a controller as intuitively as on a handheld? i was under the impression it works best on handhelds
Of course it does, even better than handhelds rotating the entire screen:

Try solving those BoTW shrine puzzles or aiming in Splatoon and you'll understand what I'm talking about... docked >>> portable.

It's not always mandatory though, some games have an on/off toggle. It doesn't hurt to implement it, does it?

Last edited:

JCK75

PSP also had tv out, and Vita also had its TV sku called PlayStation TV.

Were they also home consoles your you?

Nintendo stoped making home consoles because with Wii as exception every generation they sold less than the previous one since the NES. And in the WiiU was too low to continue with another one. So they scrapped their home console business to move their resources where they were really successful and market leaders: the portable console market.

In this case with tvout, so you can also call it "hybrid" if you want.
Using PSP with TV out is not very convenient and PSTV doesn't support all Vita games.

Switch is a more fleshed out concept... I never use portable mode, it's always docked with Pro controller.

For me it's a waste of money to charge me for even an LCD screen (let alone OLED), 3 extra batteries (1 for console + 2 for joycons) and 2 detachable controllers that I never use.

A $250 docked-only SKU (with Pro controller bundled) would sell wonders. They already have a portable-only SKU (Switch Lite), so why not?

But even if Switch 2 is a hybrid SKU, I'll still buy it, as long as it doesn't exceed $400.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What a bunch of non-sense.

He was talking about the 360 and PS3 but somehow people are applying what he said to the Series X and PS5 cause now it's somewhat true. The fact is Iwata was wrong when it came to the 360 and PS3 and he only said it because he knew Nintendo's "next gen" console was just an overclocked current gen console with a gimmicky controller.
OK. And he is correct more now than back then. We are in 2024 not 2011.

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
That and they saw Elden Ring and went "Holy Shiiiiit, we need to delay until 2023!"

Also, three golds in a row, gentlemen!

LjEWt4L.png

giphy.gif
Oh damn, thanks!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Over the course of the PS3/360 generation, Microsoft and Sony launched, again talking original mainline games, four Halo, four Gears of War, four mainline Ratchet & Clank, three Uncharted, three Resistance, three MotorStorm, three Forza MotorSport, two Gran Turismo, two Killzone, two God of War, two David Cage games, two LittleBigPlanet, two inFAMOUS, two White Knight Chronicles, two Warhawk/Starhawk, two Everybody's Golf, countless new IP and one-offs... you get the point. And that was with them splitting their resources between X360 and Kinect on the Xbox side, and PS3, PSP, Vita and Move on the Sony side.
You are comparing the output of ONE company today to the output of 2 companies 15 years ago. If you really wanted to disprove iwata why not bring up the ps5 and Xbox catalogue?

I mean I know why but I'd still like to see your justification

In what way wasn't N64 (32M units) a flop? It sold less than SNES (50M) that had already sold less than the NES (62M) which sold the DOUBLE of what N62 sold. This in a time Playstation was selling 100M units. That's all the context you need. Nintendo also lost a LOT of 3rd party publishers to Playstation including IPs like Final Fantasy.

Yes N64 had classic games but in no way they were available on a best selling console. Let's not try and re-write history.

And the Gamecube was a super flop. It did nothing for the industry and sold like 20M consoles. Even the newcomer Xbox sold more...a company that didn't have any history of selling consoles under their name.

I guess you would need to define "flop". It made Nintendo lots of money, sold lots of software & accessories, and was very profitable. It also had a handful of some of the most popular games of all time. So it was also culturally within gaming, extremely popular. It was only a flop, to use your word, if you're defining success as needing to sell 75 or 100 million units in a single generation. Nintendo never had sales like that with a single platform until the GameBoy, which took many years and iterations to reach that number.

I guarantee you that Nintendo didn't consider N64 a flop internally. They probably didn't sell as many as they wanted, sure. Commercially, it certainly wasn't considered a flop in the late 1990s, particularly in the United States. It was the second-best selling console of the generation.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Its a bit hard to call a console which revolutionized 3d gaming twice and left a massive mark on the industry a fucking flop. Sales and Financials are not all that important, at the end of the day that 32 million selling console is being talked about in the same league as 150 and 100 million selling systems. (And is being talked about even more than more successful systems, there's more discussion for n64 over Sega genesis despite the latter selling more units and having a higher selling best seller game)

Perrott

You are comparing the output of ONE company today to the output of 2 companies 15 years ago. If you really wanted to disprove iwata why not bring up the ps5 and Xbox catalogue?

I mean I know why but I'd still like to see your justification
No, I'm simply pointing out that Iwata claimed that sticking to older technology (Switch is largely comparable to PS3/360 era hardware) and not focusing on the latest advancements would allow them to release much more games than the competitor console manufacturers.

But the thing is that Nintendo has actually failed to produce more than two major entries of their largest franchises (and sometimes failing to launch more than one, or even one at all) while Microsoft was able to make three mainline Halo games, one spin-off and one remake; three mainline Gears of War games, and one spin-off (arguably mainline in scale too); and three Forza MotorSport games, and one Forza Horizon; as well as IPs with only two releases and many, many one-offs over the course of the 360 generation. While Sony was able to produce three mainline Ratchet & Clank games, two spin-offs and one downloadable title; three Uncharted games; three Resistance games; three MotorStorm games; two God of War games; two Killzone games; two inFAMOUS games; two Gran Turismo games; two Quantic Dream games; two SOCOM games; two Warhawk/Starhawks; two White Knight Chronicles; two LittleBigPlanet games, and one LittleBigPlanet Karting; two Everybody's Golf; around ten MLB and three NBA games; countless one-off games (Heavenly Sword, Genji, Folklore, Lair, The Last Of Us, Twisted Metal, Wipeout, Demon's Souls, MAG, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Siren, Sly Cooper, Puppeteer, The Eye of Judgment, Boku no Natsuyasumi), downloadable games (Journey, Flower, The Unfinished Swan, Pain, Tokyo Jungle, Sound Shapes, Flow, Payday, LocoRoco, PixelJunk series, Rain, Blast Factor, Echochrome series, Dead Nation, Super Stardust HD, Fat Princess, When Vikings Attack), all while also releasing PlayStation Move games, PlayStation Portable games, PlayStation Vita games, and Wonderbook games.

There's simply no point of comparison. We should've gotten at least double the amount of both 3D and 2D Mario games on the Switch, there's just no excuse. Companies like Naughty Dog were pumping out industry-leading, award-winning titles the Uncharted games and then The Last Of Us every two years on similar hardware, why can't Nintendo maintain a similar cadence with their flagship series? God of War games were being released every three years, so why did Platinum to so long to release one Bayonetta game? Insomniac even managed to get three Resistance games out of the door while the Ratchet & Clank series was getting new releases on a yearly basis, so how come we haven't heard shit about Metroid Prime 4 in over five years?

Oh, and in Sony's case, they were able to put out so many games while fighting against the CELL architecture, a problem Nintendo Switch development did not have.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No, I'm simply pointing out that Iwata claimed that sticking to older technology (Switch is largely comparable to PS3/360 era hardware) and not focusing on the latest advancements would allow them to release much more games than the competitor console manufacturers.

But the thing is that Nintendo has actually failed to produce more than two major entries of their largest franchises (and sometimes failing to launch more than one, or even one at all) while Microsoft was able to make three mainline Halo games, one spin-off and one remake; three mainline Gears of War games, and one spin-off (arguably mainline in scale too); and three Forza MotorSport games, and one Forza Horizon; as well as IPs with only two releases and many, many one-offs over the course of the 360 generation. While Sony was able to produce three mainline Ratchet & Clank games, two spin-offs and one downloadable title; three Uncharted games; three Resistance games; three MotorStorm games; two God of War games; two Killzone games; two inFAMOUS games; two Gran Turismo games; two Quantic Dream games; two SOCOM games; two Warhawk/Starhawks; two White Knight Chronicles; two LittleBigPlanet games, and one LittleBigPlanet Karting; two Everybody's Golf; around ten MLB and three NBA games; countless one-off games (Heavenly Sword, Genji, Folklore, Lair, The Last Of Us, Twisted Metal, Wipeout, Demon's Souls, MAG, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Siren, Sly Cooper, Puppeteer, The Eye of Judgment, Boku no Natsuyasumi), downloadable games (Journey, Flower, The Unfinished Swan, Pain, Tokyo Jungle, Sound Shapes, Flow, Payday, LocoRoco, PixelJunk series, Rain, Blast Factor, Echochrome series, Dead Nation, Super Stardust HD, Fat Princess, When Vikings Attack), all while also releasing PlayStation Move games, PlayStation Portable games, PlayStation Vita games, and Wonderbook games.

There's simply no point of comparison. We should've gotten at least double the amount of both 3D and 2D Mario games on the Switch, there's just no excuse. Companies like Naughty Dog were pumping out industry-leading, award-winning titles the Uncharted games and then The Last Of Us every two years on similar hardware, why can't Nintendo maintain a similar cadence with their flagship series? God of War games were being released every three years, so why did Platinum to so long to release one Bayonetta game? Insomniac even managed to get three Resistance games out of the door while the Ratchet & Clank series was getting new releases on a yearly basis, so how come we haven't heard shit about Metroid Prime 4 in over five years?

Oh, and in Sony's case, they were able to put out so many games while fighting against the CELL architecture, a problem Nintendo Switch development did not have.
They WERE. They USED TO. We got more games when graphics were less detailed and production values were lower. This just so happens to affect Nintendo too.

and we can talk about how Nintendo's output that gen was good too- between Wii and DS, they had 3 3D Marios, 2 2D Marios, 1 3D Zelda, 2 2D Zeldas, 3 metroid games, 6 Kirby games, 18 Pokemon games, 2 Rhythm Heaven games, a Smash Bros., 1 Donkey Kong reboot, 2 Mario Karts, a new IP in Xenoblade Chronicles, 2 Wii Sports games, 2 Animal Crossing games, and a whole slate of other IPs that got their time in the sun too.

If Nintendo is producing less today- congrats that's also a result of increasing production values, graphical fidelity and gamer expectations. You are proving Iwata correct.

Last edited:

Perrott

They WERE. They USED TO. We got more games when graphics were less detailed and production values were lower. This just so happens to affect Nintendo too.

and we can talk about how Nintendo's output that gen was good too- between Wii and DS, they had 3 3D Marios, 2 2D Marios, 1 3D Zelda, 2 2D Zeldas, 3 metroid games, 6 Kirby games, 18 Pokemon games, 2 Rhythm Heaven games, a Smash Bros., 1 Donkey Kong reboot, 2 Mario Karts, a new IP in Xenoblade Chronicles, 2 Wii Sports games, 2 Animal Crossing games, and a whole slate of other IPs that got their time in the sun too.

If Nintendo is producing less today- congrats that's also a result of increasing production values, graphical fidelity and gamer expectations. You are proving Iwata correct.
You're missing the point and talk about Nintendo's output that gen as if the Wii was in any way, shape or form comparable to the PS3 and 360 technologically speaking. The Wii was closer to the PS2, GC and Xbox than to other 7th gen devices.

The Nintendo Switch is actually comparable to PS3/360 in technical terms, and that's why I'm comparing its catalogue to the one of those platforms. And in that comparison, a scenario of equal technological complexity, Nintendo ends up losing, particularly to Sony.

So Iwata's claim was wrong in that targetting less sophisticated hardware would allow them to have a higher development cadence than it's competitors because, first, in equal technological ground they were unable to outpace the cadence of Sony, and second, because the Switch (PS3/360) output is actually more comparable in terms of cadence to that of Sony during the PS4 generation (Switch 2-level hardware), so even when going a generation ahead, its competition is able to match or outpace them in terms of cadence.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You're missing the point and talk about Nintendo's output that gen as if the Wii was in any way, shape or form comparable to the PS3 and 360 technologically speaking. The Wii was closer to the PS2, GC and Xbox than to other 7th gen devices.

The Nintendo Switch is actually comparable to PS3/360 in technical terms, and that's why I'm comparing its catalogue to the one of those platforms. And in that comparison, a scenario of equal technological complexity, Nintendo ends up losing, particularly to Sony.

So Iwata's claim was wrong in that targetting less sophisticated hardware would allow them to have a higher development cadence than it's competitors because, first, in equal technological ground they were unable to outpace the cadence of Sony, and second, because the Switch (PS3/360) output is actually more comparable in terms of cadence to that of Sony during the PS4 generation (Switch 2-level hardware), so even when going a generation ahead, its competition is able to match or outpace them in terms of cadence.
i stand corrected, that's a fair case i suppose

Sony had lots of competition during the PS3 era from both Wii and XBOX 360.

Not only they created tons of exclusives, but they were even forced to make them PS+ freebies 1-2 years after release.

Nintendo during the Switch era doesn't seem to face competition from anyone. No price drops, no Selects series. It's reminiscent of Apple in a sense.

Robb

Gold Member
Most of Nintendo's output come from third party studios. Not their internal.
That might be true, but it’s irrelevant if we’re talking about the output of their own internal studios Vs. Sony/MS. If we’re going to include first party IP developed by the likes of HAL, Intelligent systems etc. etc. the list will be even longer for Nintendo. But both Sony/MS publish games developed by 3rd parties as well, so I’m not sure what that comparison would look like.

Maybe 2023 was just an especially good year for Nintendo though. Could be dumb luck with the scheduling. For this year I can only think of two we know of thus far.

dcx4610

You can do both. That's how it used to be. You'd get a big AAA title and it was as event when it happened. Meanwhile, tons of normal games were coming out at the same time. Now, everything has to be AAA.

The movie industry has the same problem where every movie has to make 1 billion and be a blockbuster. Entertainment has been captured by greed and has forgotten about about simpler experiences.

That might be true, but it’s irrelevant if we’re talking about the output of their own internal studios Vs. Sony/MS. If we’re going to include first party IP developed by the likes of HAL, Intelligent systems etc. etc. the list will be even longer for Nintendo. But both Sony/MS publish games developed by 3rd parties as well, so I’m not sure what that comparison would look like.

Maybe 2023 was just an especially good year for Nintendo though. Could be dumb luck with the scheduling. For this year I can only think of two we know of thus far.

It's relevent because the list of games just developed internally is small. If you didn't include the third party developers the list would be pitiful.

Woopah

The main difference is that, outside of some exceptions like Pokémon, Nintendo hasn't aimed to have their mainline franchises every 2-3 years on the same platform. Even on much lower hardware like the N64 or GameCube, they didn't do that.

It's not that they are trying and failing to do a mainline 2D Mario every 2-3 years. They don't want to.

Certainly different teams have different speeds. Intelligent Systems is kind of like Nintendo's Insomniac in terms of output, while Retro obviously went through a very rough time with cancelled games and development hell.

I think we could also say that EPD8 has been slow unless they are just sitting on games, or working on multiple ones. And I personally believe that putting EPD9 on Mario Kart Tour was a mistake.

But a main reason Platinum also took so long to make Bayonetta 3 because they were working on Bayonetta Origins, Astral Chain and several games for other publishers as well. Its a similar story for Nintendo's other teams/partners.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
It's relevent because the list of games just developed internally is small. If you didn't include the third party developers the list would be pitiful.
I’d have to check, but I’m sure it’s closer to 12 than not. And definitely more than what Sony put out that same year.

Edit:
Pikmin 1+2, Pikmim 4, Zelda: TotK, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, Metroid Prime Remastered, Detective Pikachu, F-Zero 99, Everybody 1- 2 Switch.

So 8 in total? Maybe 7 I guess, if Detective Pikachu counts as 3rd party(?).

Last edited:
I’d have to check, but I’m sure it’s closer to 12 than not. And definitely more than what Sony put out that same year.

Edit:
Pikmin 1+2, Pikmim 4, Zelda: TotK, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, Metroid Prime Remastered, Detective Pikachu, F-Zero 99, Everybody 1- 2 Switch.

So 8 in total? Maybe 7 I guess, if Detective Pikachu counts as 3rd party(?).

6 as Pikaman 4 was also developed externally

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
They let eighting develop it
Had no idea. Not that it matters though. 6/7/8 games are still more than Sony in 2023. It’s also either the same or one game less than MS that same year.

So they do seem to be able to cram out more output than the rest, despite having less studios than both.

It's a collaboration between EPD10 and Eighting.
Ah, that makes sense. Although I had no idea they co-developed it.

Woopah

Really?

I remember GAF complaining that Switch's library is mostly consisted of Wii U games.

Make up your mind...
Anyone who says this doesn't understand how terrible the Wii U was.

Had no idea. Not that it matters though. 6/7/8 games are still more than Sony in 2023. It’s also either the same or one game less than MS that same year.

So they do seem to be able to cram out more output than the rest, despite having less studios than both.

Ah, that makes sense. Although I had no idea they co-developed it.
They collaborated together first on the Pikmin 3 new content for Switch, and then did Pikmin 4 together.

Its how EPD10 were able to put Pikmin and Wonder out in the same year.
PSP also had tv out, and Vita also had its TV sku called PlayStation TV.

Were they also home consoles your you?

Nintendo stoped making home consoles because with Wii as exception every generation they sold less than the previous one since the NES. And in the WiiU was too low to continue with another one. So they scrapped their home console business to move their resources where they were really successful and market leaders: the portable console market.

In this case with tvout, so you can also call it "hybrid" if you want.
The difference with TV outs is the software. On Switch, Nintendo has continually released games that either don't work at all in handheld mode, have control options that don't work in handheld mode, or have simultaneous same-TV local multiplayer.

That's not something we saw with any scale on PSP/Vita (if at all). If Nintendo had scrapped their console business (for example, by having Switch Lite as their only product), then their software would be designed somewhat differently.

I would say that its more that the competition from the PS4 forced Nintendo to adapt their business to the Switch, like how competition from the PS2 forced them to adapt their business to the Wii.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Its how EPD10 were able to put Pikmin and Wonder out in the same year.
Yeah, I just assumed those were entirely different teams considering Pikmin 4 had been in development since forever (before 2015?)). Although I guess they might have brought Eighting in when they were nearing the finish line.

Woopah

Yeah, I just assumed those were entirely different teams considering Pikmin 4 had been in development since forever (before 2015?)). Although I guess they might have brought Eighting in when they were nearing the finish line.
I think the Pikmin 4 we actually got only started development in 2020 or so (the game's Director is from Eighting, not Nintendo, so Eighting didn't only come in at the end.

Which ever version Miyamoto was talking about years ago likely got scrapped.

zedinen

qYRBoVD.jpeg

Video worth watching. Puts a lot of things going on today into context.

TLDR: Iwata basically said that XBOX/PlayStation focusing only on chasing power/performance/visuals over time vs gameplay innovation will lead to more complicated development cycles and fewer output of quality experiences for people to enjoy.

(Jan - Mar) Software PS 72.6 m / NSW 35.72 m

FnxpTrX.jpeg

DnZY9zI.jpeg

hpWGsJL.jpeg

Circana YTD

PS5: #1Helldivers 2; #5 Rebirth; #13 Spider-Man 2; # #14 Rise of the Ronin; #16 Stellar Blade

NSW: #20 Super Mario Bros. Wonder

ae7GWTa.jpeg

Allandor

Video worth watching. Puts a lot of things going on today into context.

TLDR: Iwata basically said that XBOX/PlayStation focusing only on chasing power/performance/visuals over time vs gameplay innovation will lead to more complicated development cycles and fewer output of quality experiences for people to enjoy.

That wasn't hard to predict. Even Nintendo had problems with development time when the WiiU was out. It was just so much harder to deliver good looking HD content.
Nintendo falls into the same pit, just a little bit slower, because they just have slower hardware ;)
Therefore game development often skips the Switch version, because it might be to hard to downgrade a game enough so it is working on the mobile hardware.

Man, what an enjoyable time the late 90s to the early 2000s. Back than you could actively see the evolution of games from year to year. Now we can use the same hardware for almost 10 years without missing out to much.

Top Bottom