• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft also shut down departments dedicated to bringing Xbox games to physical retail

They have been trying to kill physical since the Xbox one reveal days. They hate the physical format for some reason.
That's not hard to work our given the Gamepass push and the fact physical is selling less and less every year. Its also cheaper to not have a physical version (Alan Wake 2 for instance).

Topher

Gold Member
Apparently, the entire "physical retail department" consisted of just one guy.....

Stapler-Scene-Office-Space.jpg

Luigi Mario

I think Xbox deliberately poisoned the appeal of Blu-ray games with ‘Smart Delivery’ – not delivering Series X version on the disc so you end up needing to download the game anyway.
This is true.
In the last few years, their physical releases for games like Halo or Starfield didn't even come with the full game on disc. You were almost always required to download a huge update when initially installing the game.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

And Activision actually had a pretty good internal support people. What a great move from MS and Phil! The acquisition keeps getting better and better.

I am not surprised about digital but they are basically dropping all the XSX owner support halfway through the generation. This is pathetic.

Jcv1s45.jpg

ccH5GFZ.jpg

f2wC3mS.gif

Fabieter

There wasn't really any "they" making decisions for the entirety of the PC platform. PC is completely open so publishers can do what they want. Piracy was a factor and so PC game publishers were constantly seeking better ways of fighting it. Eventually Steam became the default solution to many issues in the PC gaming space. There was no outrage because there was no one company making all the decisions. The market simply moved in that direction on its own.

That's not true. There was alot of pushback against steam the first few years but it all went down at one point. I convinced alot of my friends to join steam myself which absolutely hated that they were forced to use it. It wasn't 100% natural. Most people were convinced with the race to the bottom pricing.

Shut0wen

Its sad news but if the xsx sales are true then fuck this is smart as, 70% cut without the middle man making a cut and no VAT, cex might finally not smell like piss at this rate plus we have had 2 huge games (alan wake 2 and bladurs gate 3) have digital only releases, were fucking doomed and the only physical releases are gunna be switch games and ps5 exclusives, but people saying ms is dropping out of the console market is stupidity, dropping out and become a third party for 2 systems is just shitty business , sure the xbox has sold jack shit but the money they make off digital sales and gamepass and online must be viable, plus ms cant even rely on gamepass coming to nintendo or sony consoles

Last edited:

StereoVsn

That's not true. There was alot of pushback against steam the first few years but it all went down at one point. I convinced alot of my friends to join steam myself which absolutely hated that they were forced to use it. It wasn't 100% natural. Most people were convinced with the race to the bottom pricing.
Steam allows publishers and developers to sell Steam keys outside the platform. That’s why there are a ton of 3rd party stores and competition.

We can also (other then Denuvo and sometimes even with that) crack and backup our games if needed and some games are DRM free on GoG and Steam.

That’s the difference to console platforms and why in general digital on PC is a lot more palatable. But I do miss cool boxes and great manuals from the ‘90s and 2000s.

reinking

Gold Member
I wonder how many of you crying even own a Xbox Series X?
I have one and I have had Xbox consoles since they hit the market. I also play XB games on PC. Frankly, Phil can suck my sock. He is ruining the Xbox gaming division by forcing a vision that most gamers do not care for. It is apparent by Xbox's failure to gain a foothold this generation. Fortunately, his attempt to bring the entire market down with him has failed so far.

Topher

Gold Member

Think you misunderstood. My point was that there was no one company calling all the shots here. Valve had no power to dictate to other publishers that they must use their service in order to sell games on PC. So the industry did, in fact, move in that direction on its own.

xrnzaaas

With this, the "Adorably Digital" $500 Series X and Hellblade 2 not having a physical release, the NextBox will not support physical media at all. If you have Backward Compatible 360 and Xbox games, it might be good to start off-loading them.
Or buy a second Series X in case the current one breaks down. ;)

Fbh

This is 100% not true with Nintendo and Microsoft. Both of them sell digital codes in other retailers that you can get discounted.

True, I guess I was mostly thinking about Sony as I mainly play on Ps5.
That said are those negotiated with retailers as regular games though? or the same as pre paid currency card where they make almost no money and have no incentive to ever put them on sale?

If I look at a place like best buy the price of the digital codes is a joke:
GcaLmP9.png
dYKMccj.png
DA4Qac4.png
NxjrT8s.png

You can't buy digital Nintendo games at retail in Europe either

Last edited:

T-0800

I've bought about 7 PS5 games so far and they have all been physical versions. As if I needed another reason to never buy an xbox again.

SHA

The downside of physical jobs, it's physics, Neil Degrasse Tyson should give his opinion piece about physical media.

NEbeast

Remember how the xbox fanboys said buying ABK was a good thing! All you have done is give MS more power to push this digital only future, and fuck knows what else. Why would an enterprise like MS, who love being consumer friendly, do stuff that is bad for the consumer? /s
how i met your mother idiots GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom