• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft also shut down departments dedicated to bringing Xbox games to physical retail

Del_X

I stupidly hoped that Xbox might be different this generation, and actually provide a decent alternative to Sony.

How fucking stupid was I.

The sooner this stupid company stops bothering trying to make consoles the better we’ll be. At least there might be room in the market for another company to come in and actually try to challenge Sony properly.

I figured that too but realized early that I'd be better off just spending more time on PC if I wanted something different than "game about generational trauma with some gameplay" games.

reinking

Gold Member
Use your brain. you or anyone who think like that. no offence. but this is irritating. Just like how AMD fights NVIDIA, and how Intel try to get into the market. We win. fuck them companies. they will make money regardless anyway.
The most destructive company that has come along in the console space has been Microsoft. It started when they brought us pay-to-play multiplayer online and continues with their current goal to remove ownership/control from the consumers. I am not saying everything they have done is bad but they are not the saviors of the console industry. I have said it before, both Sony and Nintendo have been around before Microsoft and both were innovative and price conscious during that time.

MicTyson

Neo Member
I don't care if you guys stick with Sony. I'm trying to tell you what is happening in the world around you. You can keep buying whatever you like. I don't care. I started on a Series S with Xbox this gen so it's been all digital this whole time.
It’s been shown here before from people in the know that this is going to involve Sony also.

I work for Walmart. Our stores are saying what that Wario64 account did… By the end of the year, there won’t be any physical games in our store except for maybe a shelf with a few of the big releases if that.

Has anyone walked into a Walmart and looked at the gaming sections now? There is hardly anything there anymore and it’s a bunch of download cards. If Walmart who is the biggest retailer is doing something like this, it’s probably going to happen most everywhere.

Look I have no dog in this fight, I think video games are complete arse nowadays and neither Sony or Microsoft offers much in the way of anything original anymore and I don’t like all digital either but how stupid do some of you have to be that you think Sony cares so much about you that literally nothing will be on a disc anymore but they are going to continue to ship discs to stores that about 20% of gamers are out there buying. Discs are dead in every form of media. There are comments in here saying Sony witless make discs for games for at least 2 more gens lol. Discs are dead this is the last gen you will see them.

You can say what you want but this is exactly what they all want. Buy their games from their stores and no second hand sales. Don’t worry though it’s always the worst thing ever here when Microsoft does it but it will be OK when Sony follows suit. Just like the years of ripping having to pay for Xbox live, then Sony followed suit.. Guess what? You still went and shelled out the money. You can say whatever you want but no matter if they go all digital, you will still be there buying games.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
It’s been shown here before from people in the know that this is going to involve Sony also.

I work for Walmart. Our stores are saying what that Wario64 account did… By the end of the year, there won’t be any physical games in our store except for maybe a shelf with a few of the big releases if that.

Has anyone walked into a Walmart and looked at the gaming sections now? There is hardly anything there anymore and it’s a bunch of download cards. If Walmart who is the biggest retailer is doing something like this, it’s probably going to happen most everywhere.

Look I have no dog in this fight, I think video games are complete arse nowadays and neither Sony or Microsoft offers much in the way of anything original anymore and I don’t like all digital either but how stupid do some of you have to be that you think Sony cares so much about you that literally nothing will be on a disc anymore but they are going to continue to ship discs to stores that about 20% of gamers are out there buying. Discs are dead in every form of media. There are comments in here saying Sony witless make discs for games for at least 2 more gens lol. Discs are dead this is the last gen you will see them.

You can say what you want but this is exactly what they all want. Buy their games from their stores and no second hand sales. Don’t worry though it’s always the worst thing ever here when Microsoft does it but it will be OK when Sony follows suit. Just like the years of ripping having to pay for Xbox live, then Sony followed suit.. Guess what? You still went and shelled out the money. You can say whatever you want but no matter if they go all digital, you will still be there buying games.
They can learn eventually. Not my job to convince people here. I've been buying everything digitally on deep sales for 3 years for this reason. Their loss.

MrA

It’s like these fake pc gamers don’t know why pc went full digital.
rampant piracy led to miserable DRM on disc-based games, and then Gabe Newell gained control of the digital distribution market and happens to be a good game that cares about the medium and wants happy customers

Your misinformed pal. Look at the digital numbers. Are you dumb? Alot of games people buy physical are just a key, and then you have to download the game regardless.
the first is you not understand how the digital numbers are reached, the cesa white paper and Sonys leaks show physical games make up the majority of major new releases, only games like cod and fifa are mostly digital at launch , the hurr durr 90% digital includes pc and mobile which are 100% digital, microtransactions, and subscriptions, , and when sony reports about 70% digital is because it includes the entire catalog, not just new releases. there are only like 200 games at retail at any given time whereas there are thousands of digital titles available and while sony receives 100% of digital sales dollars, they only receive about 80% of the sales dollars

and the second is a straight-up falsehood, https://www.doesitplay.org/
why do you compulsively lie when you can be demonstrated to be wrong?

XB Shills on twitter right now like

anigif_enhanced-16668-1395756115-1.gif

😂😂😂😂

MrA

Are you using PC and mobile in your digital equation?
He doesn't have any equations, he reads headlines and no further reading

Even just Sony alone, the physical market is dwindling. All data shows this. Not sure why this is controversial.
ah another one, that's hardware+dlc+accessories+subscriptions+digital games vs just physical games

Mortisfacio

Banned
He doesn't have any equations, he reads headlines and no further reading

ah another one, that's hardware+dlc+accessories+subscriptions+digital games vs just physical games

physical games is the only sales category that has decreased year-on-year

Thank you for confirming what I already know. You can't/won't read.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I dont even know how you use quick resume with discs.

You can, works just like on digital games. Use it all the time.

It's essentially keeping a saved state of the game in memory, so as long as it can check that the disc is still in the tray, it'll work as intended. If you take the disc out in the interim, then you get kicked out to the dashboard if you attempt to quick resume that game.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Your misinformed pal. Look at the digital numbers. Are you dumb? Alot of games people buy physical are just a key, and then you have to download the game regardless.
Whenever there’s bad Xbox news you can always rely on accounts showing up to defend Xbox that have 25 posts in 12 months.

It’s such a crazy coincidental phenomenon that only applies to the Xbox platform in my experience.

Wild.

Luigi Mario

“Alot of games” so you’re just making your own figures up.
a quick google search will show you. I'm done with you. Such a tool bag. Ughh.
These are the numbers for physical releases on PS4 and PS5:

hjPLgoi.jpg

UIS9fCe.jpg

So, only around 12% of PS4 and PS5 games require a download.

Last edited:

magnumpy

I stupidly hoped that Xbox might be different this generation, and actually provide a decent alternative to Sony.

How fucking stupid was I.

The sooner this stupid company stops bothering trying to make consoles the better we’ll be. At least there might be room in the market for another company to come in and actually try to challenge Sony properly.

that's just it, there really is no viable 3rd company. perhaps Meta? a reinvigorated Sega? *shudder* cell phones? :eek:

MrA

It includes add-on content.
not only that but physical third-party games are only Sony's royalty, so only a small portion of the game's value, whereas digital includes 100% of the digital game value, Sony then pays out from that (part of the reason sony's net profits seem so small is that all third party digital is part of their gross).

these notes are pulled from sony's fiscal reports
2 Physical Software is revenue from first party game software for PlayStation® consoles sold on discs to retailers, royalties from third partysoftware sold on discs and revenue from first and third party game software sold bundled with PlayStation® consoles and PlayStation®VR.3 From Q2 FY22, Physical Software has been reclassified to include revenue from first and third party game software sold bundled withPlayStation® consoles and PlayStation®VR, part of which was previously included in Hardware. Figures for Hardware and Physical Software forQ1 FY22 have been restated in accordance with this change. Because the impact of this reclassification on the figures disclosed prior to Q1FY22 is immaterial, such figures have not been restated.4 Digital Software is revenue from full game downloads of both first and third party titles sold via the PlayStation™Store

So Sony only counts a fraction of 70-80% of their physical sales as revenue, but all of their digital sales as revenue

//DEVIL//

The most destructive company that has come along in the console space has been Microsoft. It started when they brought us pay-to-play multiplayer online and continues with their current goal to remove ownership/control from the consumers. I am not saying everything they have done is bad but they are not the saviors of the console industry. I have said it before, both Sony and Nintendo have been around before Microsoft and both were innovative and price conscious during that time.
Right .. because Sony wasn't heading that way it self with the additional PS2 hard drive and modem combo that was released with FF11. that bay on the PS2 was there before Xbox was even announced or even existed.

the Difference is, MS was leading the technology while Sony was riding the wave in silence letting MS getting all the flame on its face like idiots.

Did you forget what the PS2 was called ? Sony computer entertainment system !! They were heading the same direction MS was. they just saw MS eating shit so they stopped.

Even during the PS4 release, Sony was always trying to let MS go first and then ride the wave, IF MS didn't get crushed by the media during the Xbox one reveal, they wouldn't have made that video where they show how used games are going to be shared with friends etc mocking the Xbox.

Hell.. you can tell even back then from that PPP they did show during E3. the slides were made in 2 minutes lol.

Not saying MS is all rainbow and shit. but MS is far from being the most destructive. Because if they were destructive like you have said, they would be the market leader by now and Sony is selling lemon juice stands.

Last edited:

Kings Field

shame because I love mostly everything about Xbox besides the games. The UI, party system, etc is superior to PS but games are underwhelming and that’s what matters.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Are there any other sources on this and the scope of this closure? The tweet is worded that it wasn't completely shut down but definitely downsized.

reinking

Gold Member
Right .. because Sony wasn't heading that way it self with the additional PS2 hard drive and modem combo that was released with FF11. that bay on the PS2 was there before Xbox was even announced or even existed.
You realize even after MS was charging for multiplayer online play Sony kept that part of PSN free for a long time? It was only after they saw we console players were dumb enough to keep paying for it that they started charging. So yes, PSN was coming even before MS, but there is zero proof the charge to play multiplayer games online was. Bring some proof instead of #SonyToo.

StereoVsn

I think that was just one month, like April 2022 or 2023 or something.
It's much closer now.
I think overall it was near even split. So the move to all digital is basically going to annoy and/or piss off at least a decent portion of their user base.

And also, PS5 is selling over 50% physical for their bigger first party games according to Insomniac leak. So physical is still very important to Sony. Not to mention a lot of regions have even higher preference for physical, ie Japan and rest of Asia.

Why is it that people are so against physical going away on console but okay with PC doing it ages ago?
Maybe because on Xbox, you can only buy from Xbox Store;
On Playstation you can only buy from Playstation Store;

But on PC, you can buy from Microsoft Store, Steam, GOG, EA, Ubi, G2A, Epic and whatever store comes next. And if the competition isn't enough, they have to outrun the benefits of piracy to keep the pikes from hitting them where the sun doesn't reach.
The stores doesn't OWN your platform on PC like they do on consoles/mobile.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Even if the optimists win out and Sony somehow offers discs next gen, do you honestly want them? No one thinks they will have physical 2 gens from now. What you're saying is you're going to have to rebuy everything you buy next gen to carry it forward.

twilo99

Showtime Lmlml GIF by The Chi

I still like Physical media. The only time I prefer digital is for VR stuff.

Of course, I think from a console gamer’s perspective this makes sense, but I’ve been a PC gamer my whole life and the last time I had a need for a CD/DVD-ROM inside my tower was… eons ago lol so digital makes perfect sense to me

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Of course, I think from a console gamer’s perspective this makes sense, but I’ve been a PC gamer my whole life and the last time I had a need for a CD/DVD-ROM inside my tower was… eons ago lol so digital makes perfect sense to me
I am a PC gamer too. Funny enough, I thought about pulling out some old discs a few weeks ago and realized I do not have a CD/DVD drive in my current PC. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom