• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft also shut down departments dedicated to bringing Xbox games to physical retail

Topher

Gold Member
Even if the optimists win out and Sony somehow offers discs next gen, do you honestly want them? No one thinks they will have physical 2 gens from now. What you're saying is you're going to have to rebuy everything you buy next gen to carry it forward.

Of course I do. I'll be fine with digital once these companies allow me to rent digital games or allow me to resell digital games that I "own". Until then, absolutely want physical.

Digital will always be an option. I'll never understand people who want less options though.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Of course I do. I'll be fine with digital once these companies allow me to rent digital games or allow me to resell digital games that I "own". Until, absolutely want phyiscal.

Digital will always be an option. I'll never understand people who want less options though.
I've never talked once about wanting less options. I've talked about looking at a walmart and acknowledging reality and which option is best for future proofing purchases in the coming gens.

Not up to me what options are available. These are decades long, society wide trends I am just observing. I even wished physical media enthusiasts good luck. It doesnt harm me at all if you guys buy discs. Doesnt really affect me at all.

Topher

Gold Member
I've never talked once about wanting less options. I've talked about looking at a walmart and acknowledging reality and which option is best for future proofing purchases in the coming gens.

Not up to me what options are available. These are decades long, society wide trends I am just observing. I even wished physical media enthusiasts good luck. It doesnt harm me at all if you guys buy discs. Doesnt really affect me at all.

Wasn't referring to you specifically. I was speaking about those who actively campaign for the end of physical. Just don't get it.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Wasn't referring to you specifically. I was speaking those who actively campaign for the end of physical. Just don't get it.
Yeah, I dont see any need to campaign. I was on Series S then X this gen but rarely even mentioned it. Just debating some pros and cons here since its the thread topic.

twilo99

I am a PC gamer too. Funny enough, I thought about pulling out some old discs a few weeks ago and realized I do not have a CD/DVD drive in my current PC. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I’m not even sure if they make them anymore but you can definitely get an external.

Case manufacturers don’t even bother making cutouts for dvd roms… we moved past that long, long ago

C2brixx

I'm sure Microsoft has the data on disc drive usage on Xbox. I put a blu-ray movie in my Series X when I got it 2 years ago just to make sure it worked. Haven't put a disc in there since then.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
You are the joke mate.
qpM8XV2.gif

Three

Definitely hit a nerve. But sure, no more talking. Got it.
It's like I'm in 2013 again with the no second hand sales "Sony too" . Then they get upset that Shu and Adam did a video explaining you can share your discs like normal because it hurt their favourite corporation's feelings. You're basing your information on nothing. They just released a console so that any version of the PS5 can get a drive now. Why do you think the next one won't have that drive option other than your hope of Sony too?

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
To all pro-Western Xbox shills: discs are not going anywhere. PlayStation and Switch are so global precisely because they understand that most of the world is restricted with bandwidth and physical is tradable. Hell, even in US datacaps and bandwidth issues are quite widespread.

Every Xbox step is further locking the brand behind very few English-speaking countries, and it’s not that they are winning even there.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

To all pro-Western Xbox shills: discs are not going anywhere. PlayStation and Switch are so global precisely because they understand that most of the world is restricted with bandwidth and physical is tradable. Hell, even in US datacaps and bandwidth issues are quite widespread.

Every Xbox step is further locking the brand behind very few English-speaking countries, and it’s not that they are winning even there.
I hear Switch carts are quite tasty.

radewagon

It's really quite something.... Seeing a brand so confidently march towards its own irrelevance. I'm still not entirely sure what they think the realistic end goal is. I'm not sure they do either. Are they all just too stuck in "sunk cost fallacy" mode to be honest about how badly this is all going to go?

Jesb

I don’t quite get how they expect to sell consoles if they have zero presence at retail. Why would best buy and Walmart even want to carry a next gen Xbox or the refresh coming up.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I don’t quite get how they expect to sell consoles if they have zero presence at retail. Why would best buy and Walmart even want to carry a next gen Xbox or the refresh coming up.
They’re outsourcing that part to third parties and moving software onto everything.

Kacho

They will sell consoles for another generation or two before switching fully to a cloud/services based platform. Phasing out discs is just another step in their strategy.

MrA

also, you'd think how close that Sony Discover license loss came to passing, it'd send a message that digital isn't ownership, it is ephemeral,
or the crazy number of delisted iphone and andriod games, and even worse any pre-smart phone games. want to play infinitey blade or that exclusive dead space or resident evil? too bad you can't,
or the big one I find frustrating is the pinball arcade's Williams tables being delisted, zen's pinball is inaccurate flashy garbage, farsights feel like pinball, really glad I have disks of seasons 1 and 2 as backups, but I sure wish I had physical backups of all of the seasons

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It's really quite something.... Seeing a brand so confidently march towards its own irrelevance. I'm still not entirely sure what they think the realistic end goal is. I'm not sure they do either. Are they all just too stuck in "sunk cost fallacy" mode to be honest about how badly this is all going to go?
It’s both the sunk cost fallacy and too much money to worry about a few $billion here and there.

At some point Satya or the board will get tired of it and things will start changing quickly. Sounds like that already kicked off but who the hell know to what goal.

StereoVsn

I think huge layoffs and multiplat releases (basically confirmed with Hi-Fi Rush DualSense update) are the consequences of large MS accounting finally noticing Xbox after burning solid 80 bilions.
The crazy thing is that overall Xbox division has been in the negative since the start especially counting engineering and marketing cost.

Xbox 360 might have brought in some profit but they spent couple $bil on RROD. So overall the division is a money sink and that was before current gen and Phil running around acquiring studios.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The crazy thing is that overall Xbox division has been in the negative since the start especially counting engineering and marketing cost.

Xbox 360 might have brought in some profit but they spent couple $bil on RROD. So overall the division is a money sink and that was before current gen and Phil running around acquiring studios.
Oh, before the spending spree it was way easier to hide the losses. Now shareholders are truly concerned an here comes the curse of being noticed.

StereoVsn

Oh, before the spending spree it was way easier to hide the losses. Now shareholders are truly concerned an here comes the curse of being noticed.
Yep, before it was a $billlion here, couple $billion there which nobody cared about. Now it’s real money.

Well, I did see a documentary here Xbox division was apparently a coin toss when MS found out extent of RROD issue (documentary posted in one of the threads here) , but Ballmer decided to roll through it.

demigod

It’s been shown here before from people in the know that this is going to involve Sony also.

I work for Walmart. Our stores are saying what that Wario64 account did… By the end of the year, there won’t be any physical games in our store except for maybe a shelf with a few of the big releases if that.

Has anyone walked into a Walmart and looked at the gaming sections now? There is hardly anything there anymore and it’s a bunch of download cards. If Walmart who is the biggest retailer is doing something like this, it’s probably going to happen most everywhere.

Look I have no dog in this fight, I think video games are complete arse nowadays and neither Sony or Microsoft offers much in the way of anything original anymore and I don’t like all digital either but how stupid do some of you have to be that you think Sony cares so much about you that literally nothing will be on a disc anymore but they are going to continue to ship discs to stores that about 20% of gamers are out there buying. Discs are dead in every form of media. There are comments in here saying Sony witless make discs for games for at least 2 more gens lol. Discs are dead this is the last gen you will see them.

You can say what you want but this is exactly what they all want. Buy their games from their stores and no second hand sales. Don’t worry though it’s always the worst thing ever here when Microsoft does it but it will be OK when Sony follows suit. Just like the years of ripping having to pay for Xbox live, then Sony followed suit.. Guess what? You still went and shelled out the money. You can say whatever you want but no matter if they go all digital, you will still be there buying games.
Banjo64 Banjo64 GHG GHG alright who’s alt is this?

demigod

Topher

Gold Member
It’s been shown here before from people in the know that this is going to involve Sony also.

I work for Walmart. Our stores are saying what that Wario64 account did… By the end of the year, there won’t be any physical games in our store except for maybe a shelf with a few of the big releases if that.

Has anyone walked into a Walmart and looked at the gaming sections now? There is hardly anything there anymore and it’s a bunch of download cards. If Walmart who is the biggest retailer is doing something like this, it’s probably going to happen most everywhere.

Look I have no dog in this fight, I think video games are complete arse nowadays and neither Sony or Microsoft offers much in the way of anything original anymore and I don’t like all digital either but how stupid do some of you have to be that you think Sony cares so much about you that literally nothing will be on a disc anymore but they are going to continue to ship discs to stores that about 20% of gamers are out there buying. Discs are dead in every form of media. There are comments in here saying Sony witless make discs for games for at least 2 more gens lol. Discs are dead this is the last gen you will see them.

You can say what you want but this is exactly what they all want. Buy their games from their stores and no second hand sales. Don’t worry though it’s always the worst thing ever here when Microsoft does it but it will be OK when Sony follows suit. Just like the years of ripping having to pay for Xbox live, then Sony followed suit.. Guess what? You still went and shelled out the money. You can say whatever you want but no matter if they go all digital, you will still be there buying games.

Eh.....working at walmart doesn't really mean much I'm afraid. But your take is just as valid as anyone else's with an opinion on where gaming is going. Many of these predictions were voiced last gen as well.

I don't buy this "I don't have a dog in this fight" line. Not when you ignore Microsoft "following suit" with raising console prices and $70 games, but just gotta drudge up paying for online as if that has anything to do with what is being discussed.

Either way, if you think video games are "arse" then perhaps this isn't the forum for you.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So Hellblade 2 has already been announced as a digital-only game?

What do y'all think? Will Avowed, Indiana Jones, etc. also not have a physical release?

Oppoi

So Hellblade 2 has already been announced as a digital-only game?

What do y'all think? Will Avowed, Indiana Jones, etc. also not have a physical release?
I can't picture little Jimmy, Jhonny and Joushua waking up and running all the way to the store to get their hands on a fresh physical copy of Avowed.

demigod

Eh.....working at walmart doesn't really mean much I'm afraid. But your take is just as valid as anyone else's with an opinion on where gaming is going. Many of these predictions were voiced last gen as well.

I don't buy this "I don't have a dog in this fight" line. Not when you ignore Microsoft "following suit" with raising console prices and $70 games, but just gotta drudge up paying for online as if that has anything to do with what is being discussed.

Either way, if you think video games are "arse" then perhaps this isn't the forum for you.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Check his post history. Dormant account, sony ponies, yeah……no dog in this fight. He aint foolin anyone.

Top Bottom