• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

Outrun

I won't. I'll play on PC instead. This is my point. I wanted an XB1 to play Forza, now I don't because it's coming to PC. And I have no interest in Halo.

Forza PC is not the same as Forza on the Xbox....

Again, if you are serious about FM, then the X1 is still relevant.

Trup1aya

I get that, and it's a great announcement for those reasons, but at the same time they're giving people less and less reason to own an XB1. I hope it pays off for them.

EDIT: And then there's people that own an XB1 and will now sell it because it's losing its relevance. See above:

So someone sells an Xbox because they are going to play Xbox games on PC.

That nets MS gets a new xb1 user in the person who buys the used console and a Win10 user who shops in the Win10 store. Where is the bad news?

MS happy to have your business, regardless of where you choose to play.

gtj1092

How is any of this "shooting themselves in the foot".

With this move they've increased how attractive the Xbox platform is to developers. Which will give their Xbox customers more games to play and lengthened the MP lives of these games on their system.

With the 1st party games going to PC, they've upped the sales potential of all of their franchises. Which could allow for increased investment across PC and Xbox consoles. Again more games for their customers.

Also, were you ever REALLY gonna buy an xb1 and live subscription at this point?

Wow MS is amazing is there anything they aren't great at? I too believe in Phil. Such a glowing smile.

CariusD

You are missing a lot. For games to support this they will need to be a universal Windows app. It starts looking like this:

Rocket League would be available on:

-PC
-Xbox One
-PS4

Two out of the three major platforms for RL would be paying MS royalties and fees on every purchase made be it the game it's self or even just car/dlc sales.

MS wants this because they get two out of three platforms. Devs want this because they have one huge userbase with all players combined to keep the game active and healthy. That translates into more dlc sales and lifetime of the game.

There's also the consideration that for some games Xbox and PC players will both have Xbox Live in common so they can most likely chat and party up in addition to being in the same achievement and social sharing network. That could leave PlayStation users as the odd man out of every game that supports all platforms. It not a huge deal but it will bother some people.

Microsoft is being pretty damn smart here.

Rocket League announcement says nothing about needing to get a UW app. Sure MS really wants us to buy into UWP but its not required.

Cross-network play has been possible on the PS4 and even PS3 for years and years. Why would games like Call of Duty suddenly start supporting it when there's no precedent of anyone minus the most minor of exceptions doing so in the past?

I... Don't get it?

How is any of this "shooting themselves in the foot".

With this move they've increased how attractive the Xbox platform is to developers. Which will give their Xbox customers more games to play and lengthened the MP lives of these games on their system.

I don't understand where this logic is coming from, this feels more like a stemming of the tide move to me. If they stop someone from trading in a Xbox for a PS4 because their friends are on that platform then all the better.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just checked theirs a big scratch on it but i put Gears of War in and thats working ;-)

#InSpencerWeTrust

Cross-network play has been possible on the PS4 and even PS3 for years and years. Why would games like Call of Duty suddenly start supporting it when there's no precedent of anyone minus the most minor of exceptions doing so in the past?

I... Don't get it?

Good question.

rokkerkory

Some of you guys need to think bigger and understand there's a much bigger world for MS to conquer. Right or wrong they need to try.

Trup1aya

You are missing a lot. For games to support this they will need to be a universal Windows app. It starts looking like this:

Rocket League would be available on:

-PC
-Xbox One
-PS4

Two out of the three major platforms for RL would be paying MS royalties and fees on every purchase made be it the game it's self or even just car/dlc sales.

MS wants this because they get two out of three platforms. Devs want this because they have one huge userbase with all players combined to keep the game active and healthy. That translates into more dlc sales and lifetime of the game.

There's also the consideration that for some games Xbox and PC players will both have Xbox Live in common so they can most likely chat and party up in addition to being in the same achievement and social sharing network. That could leave PlayStation users as the odd man out of every game that supports all platforms. It not a huge deal but it will bother some people.

Microsoft is being pretty damn smart here.

People are missing this because it isn't true...

Don't need to release a UWA to take advantage of this. The Steam version of RL is what is being enabled for cross-play with XBL. There is not UWA version and no royalties go to MS.

I really hope the plan is to make this a federated system. If Microsoft are just planning on making other platforms (well Sony really) have their users log into Xbox Live, I think that's a net loss for everyone but Microsoft.

gamz

Some of you guys need to think bigger and understand there's a much bigger world for MS to conquer. Right or wrong they need to try.

giphy.gif

farisr

Honestly not all that surprised as they're trying to unify their console and PC space.. But good news.
Forza PC is not the same as Forza on the Xbox....

Again, if you are serious about FM, then the X1 is still relevant.
If you want to play Forza 5, 6 and Horizon 2, sure. Otherwise? Not really. What they've been saying seems to be indicating any new Forza titles (Forza Motorsport 7, Horizon 3 etc) will be full versions on the PC as well.

Rembrandt

Banned

I... Don't get it?

name 4 PS4 games that offered PSN/XBL crossplay but couldn't do it because of MS. Name 4 PS3 games that offered it, too.

360 had cross network play for some games between it and PC.

People are saying Sony had this for years but if so, why does Rocket League have to wait for Sony?

Zeta Oni

I won't. I'll play on PC instead. This is my point. I wanted an XB1 to play Forza, now I don't because it's coming to PC. And I have no interest in Halo.

Forza 5 launched with the console in November of 2013
Forza Horizon 2 came out in September of 2014.
Forza 6 has been out for almost 6 months.

When were you planning on picking one up, honestly?

Looks like Microsoft and Turn10 will be getting your money a lot sooner then they would have at this rate.

farisr

People are saying Sony had this for years but if so, why does Rocket League have to wait for Sony?
Plenty of games have Playstation PC crossplay. Maybe it isn't a blanket policy completely open to begin with but when games ask for it they pretty much approve without any issues?

name 4 PS4 games that offered PSN/XBL crossplay but couldn't do it because of MS. Name 4 PS3 games that offered it, too.

360 had cross network play for some games between it and PC.

Because It's on a game by game basis and this was just announced. I mean....it's true that Playstation has been doing this for years. You aren't...disputing that are you? Rocket league on ps4 is cross platform with PC right now, lol.

Rembrandt

Banned
Because It's on a game by game basis and this was just announced. I mean....it's true that Playstation has been doing this for years. You aren't...disputing that are you? Rocket league on ps4 is cross platform with PC right now, lol.

MS had it on the 360. This is allowing XB1 to PS4. How have they been doing that for years?

quickwhips

This is big. Does this mean they will patch rocket league? Just saw their website. Can't wait to see warthogs vs ice cream trucks.

MS had it on the 360. This is allowing XB1 to PS4. How have they been doing that for years?

microsoft had it for a handful of games. I don't believe there was more than 3 in the entire history of the brand. One of them was cross platform with the ps2. Meanwhile, sony has quite a few games cross compatible with PC, including Portal 2 which had steam integration. that doesn't even begin to cover the amount of games that simply never appeared on the Xbox ecosystem because microsoft blocked cross platform play. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that Sony has been the obstacle all this time? Because Developers have come out and said it was microsoft, several times over the years.

I've been saying this for a while but they should have held off on announcing it. It would have been a E3 megaton. Its a win-win strategy for Microsoft - if Sony says yes, Xbox One stops suffering from smaller player pools online and the whole "buying a PS4 because my friends did" argument falls apart. If Sony says no they look petty and Microsoft can complete its re branding exercise at their expense.

Rembrandt

Banned
microsoft had it for a handful of games. I don't believe there was more than 3 in the entire history of the brand. One of them was cross platform with the ps2. Meanwhile, sony has quite a few games cross compatible with PC, including Portal 2 which had steam integration. that doesn't even begin to cover the amount of games that simply never appeared on the Xbox ecosystem because microsoft blocked cross platform play. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that Sony has been the obstacle all this time? Because Developers have come out and said it was microsoft, several times over the years.

there were like 5. link me to quotes from developers saying "We wanted to let PS4/XB1 play online together but MS told us no." or show me quotes from Sony saying they want to allow XB1 and PS4 to play online together.

That is drastically different from one console playing along with the PC. Nothing indicates Sony had a system in place for years allowing two competing consoles, excluding PC, to play online with each other besides for the rare FFMMO which MS allowed last gen but not this one.

If Microsoft hadn't declined FF14ARR would of had crossplay between consoles, according to the game's director.

that's one.

there's also this and this. confirmation has been out there for years but people either aren't aware or are choosing to ignore it for some reason. No idea why.

that portal quote is about 360/PC.

FFXIV and supposedly Defiance are the only ones. Nobody's ignoring it or not aware of it. It just wasn't a thing that was publicly talked about besides for one title.

Trup1aya

I don't understand where this logic is coming from, this feels more like a stemming of the tide move to me. If they stop someone from trading in a Xbox for a PS4 because their friends are on that platform then all the better.

And a sustained player base is one that developers would rather target.

And that's just one side of the equation. we already know of games that skipped the platform due to MS' own policies, one of those policies being the refusal to allow MP with other platforms.

there were like 5. link me to quotes from developers saying "We wanted to let PS4/XB1 play online together but MS told us no." or show me quotes from Sony saying they want to allow XB1 and PS4 to play online together.

That is drastically different from one console playing along with the PC. Nothing indicates Sony had a system in place for years allowing two competing consoles, excluding PC, to play online with each other besides for the rare FFMMO which MS allowed last gen but not this one.

that's one.

just check my post above please. I feel like you're getting super defensive. I also feel like you'll still stay on the defensive no matter how many examples you're given.

farisr

that's one.
One is more than enough. Show an instance where a dev has said that they didn't bring a game to the playstation because Sony declined crossplay with xbox. Show an instance where a dev said sony was against crossplay but microsoft wasn't. You can't.

It is a fact that Sony has been more open (and maybe even fully accepting) of cross-platform play than MS in the past.

I think you reversed that. I think you meant if MS hadn't declined crossplay, FF14ARR would've shown up on Xbox
That's what I meant, I'm very tired right now lol.

Isn't one enough? We've known for a long time it was Microsoft stopping this from happening, I'm not sure what your trying to argue here, that it was Sony?

Top Bottom