• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Well, do you at least understand the confusion caused by saying this?

It seems like you understood then that internet going out would cause a problem. Otherwise... what did you think that reason meant?
Yeah, lol. It's all good.

I came into the thread very late so I was trying to respond to everything, which was hard to do without going off on tangents and diverting away from the topic.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Want to see something insane?

C95732R.png

If I blur my eyes or squint a bit, that looks like a fucked up clown boot.

Reiko

Banned
So if we're to assume that the rumour of the 3 minute allowance is correct, every game must have a save anywhere feature right? If my Internet goes down and 3 minutes later I'm kicked to the dashboard without it saving, I'd be pissed.

Unless every game has a cloud save instance like free to play games. Either way, urgh.

Just imagine playing a game with a punishing checkpoint system by design.

Here's a fix for you:

Don't buy the system.

Simple right?

Well that's a very glib answer, but yes it would save me any hassle. However I'd buy it if there was a sequel to a franchise I like on it. Say Forza 5.

But I'd still be pissed if halfway through a long race it kicks me out.

Well that's a very glib answer, but yes it would save me any hassle. However I'd buy it if there was a sequel to a franchise I like on it. Say Forza 5.

You never know. Forza 5 might be a Kinetic game. Also some franchises start to suck generations later.

You might be better off with GT by then. :)

I love how everyone just assumes we all have fast stable connections and no one ever brings their console with them anywhere.

I know a few people who take their consoles with them when they go places.

I also know that I don't like the idea of never being able to play a generation of console games is Microsoft or Live ever goes away. That would suck.

Vire

Vote with your dollar, if you don't like these practices simply don't support them.

By buying their system you are essentially approving of Always Online DRM being implemented into all future systems.

Been a loyal Xbox fan since the beginning, but if all of this crap is true I'll be one console short come next generation. The arrogance is unbelievable. I live in a smallish town; the internet craps out periodically. If I'm mid game and this happens, that's a broken controller right there.

ascii42

Vote with your dollar, if you don't like these practices simply don't support them.

By buying their system you are essentially approving of Always Online DRM being implemented into all future systems.

This is certainly a valid answer, but it's not a perfect solution, and here's why. If we want the games on the system, but we don't want the system itself because of its practices, that's annoying. Buying the other system is the better option, but it still doesn't get us all the games we wanted.

What it boils down to is, either we are forced to buy the system despite disapproving of its practices, or we are forced to not be able to play the games we want to play. Obviously neither is ideal.

My bad I'm looking at a few different discussions I started up a page back.

Back on topic, if handled similarly to how mobile devices do it then I welcome always online. I've come to love instant downloads on my iPhone, it's another perk that would not be possible without a constant internet connection.

Neogaf falls for trolls more often than people get cornballed.

PKWP

blackflag

Been a loyal Xbox fan since the beginning, but if all of this crap is true I'll be one console short come next generation. The arrogance is unbelievable. I live in a smallish town; the internet craps out periodically. If I'm mid game and this happens, that's a broken controller right there.

Yep as I was saying earlier today. I live in a large city (Phoenix). Have cox cable and my Internet was down at least from the time I woke up at 6 am until 11am.

Vire

This is certainly a valid answer, but it's not a perfect solution, and here's why. If we want the games on the system, but we don't want the system itself because of whatever reason, that's annoying. Buying the other system is the better option, but it still doesn't get us all the games we wanted.

What it boils down to is, either we are forced to buy the system despite disapproving of its practices, or we are forced to not be able to play the games we want to play. Obviously neither is ideal.

I rather deal with an annoyance than taking it up the ass.

There are plenty of games on other platforms that will not support these practices.

Boss Man

This is certainly a valid answer, but it's not a perfect solution, and here's why. If we want the games on the system, but we don't want the system itself because of whatever reason, that's annoying. Buying the other system is the better option, but it still doesn't get us all the games we wanted.

Are you a wildcard or a star? Or am I looking too deeply into your username?

This is certainly a valid answer, but it's not a perfect solution, and here's why. If we want the games on the system, but we don't want the system itself because of its practices, that's annoying. Buying the other system is the better option, but it still doesn't get us all the games we wanted.

Consumers get the market they ask for.

Most 360 games this gen made it to other platforms anyway.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Pretty much. If I want something, I'm not going to deny myself it because it goes against my values as a gamer or something silly like that. But if the rumors are true, it will take a lot for Microsoft to win me back.

I don't rule it out, though. The pre-hype is justifiably harsh so far, but they haven't even had a chance to reveal their hand yet. I'm not a big fan of what they've done lately but I don't expect Microsoft to just give up all of the progress they have made this generation.

I'll decide if I want to buy the system when it's actually on the market, or at the very least officially revealed.

neptunes

Just entered the thread, Holy trollfuck batman!

On-topic: I am curious as to whether MS will cover all of the 720's features in-depth at e3, or will they save some of the specifics for an event closer to launch.

Basically I don't think people will get a straight answer on certain features and requirements until the end of summer-fall.

I don't think this "always" online will cost MS too much sales when it's all said and done, Sony was able to recover from "LOL $599 WUT?" and MS recovered from their whole RROD debacle.

On-topic: I am curious as to whether MS will cover all of the 720's features in-depth at e3, or will they save some of the specifics for an event closer to launch.

Basically I don't think people will get a straight answer on certain features and requirements until the end of summer-fall.

I am sure someone will find out by E3.

If it's true I don't see Microsoft giving a straight answer on it for as long as possible.

ascii42

Are you a wildcard or a star? Or am I looking too deeply into your username?

I originally started using this name because I was in middle school and thought it would be cool to use a computer term like ASCII, and I also happened to have just read HHGtG. It wasn't until well after then that I bothered to look up what the value 42 actually represented in ASCII. But I would say "wildcard" if I had to assign meaning to it.

I assume you are a big boy and can live without a few of the games you want to play...
There are plenty of games, almost all are multiplat and missing those few that are ms exclusive (assuming a few of them are worth playing) shouldn't matter at all.

Seeing people defend/rationalise/profess to accepting it from both angles is funny.
One angle is gaf is somehow the superhardcore and the average gamer don't care
Other angle is gaf is superhardcore (super addicted) and can't live without playing gears of war and halo so the average gamer will need that xbox to play those games as well.

So which is it.

saunderez

MS is the only one that charges for online. They get away with it because enough people feel the service is worth it. If MS thinks they can convince people that always online is worth it, then they just might go through with it.
That's an incredibly tough sell compared to Live though. Live gives the consumer perceived value, always online has no tangible benefits.

Angry Fork

The entire point of the raging bullshit online is to get Microsoft to think about changing it, because some people may like xbox franchises and the brand in general, without wanting draconian DRM. Why be completely silent while waiting for the console to be released? That doesn't make any sense and is anti-productive, anti-consumer.

If those efforts fail by the time the console is released, then yes they should not buy it. But if Sony + MS both do the same thing then we're fucked and must 'vote' for the lesser of two evils, or play on PC.

Pretty much. If I want something, I'm not going to deny myself it because it goes against my values as a gamer or something silly like that. But if the rumors are true, it will take a lot for Microsoft to win me back.

I don't rule it out, though. The pre-hype is justifiably harsh so far, but they haven't even had a chance to reveal their hand yet. I'm not a big fan of what they've done lately but I don't expect Microsoft to just give up all of the progress they have made this generation.

I'll decide if I want to buy the system when it's actually on the market, or at the very least officially revealed.
This post is not nearly reactionary enough. Can't you huff and puff or something?

Vire

The entire point of the raging bullshit online is to get Microsoft to think about changing it, because some people may like xbox franchises and the brand in general, without wanting draconian DRM. Why be completely silent while waiting for the console to be released? That doesn't make any sense and is anti-productive, anti-consumer.

If those efforts fail by the time the console is released, then yes they should not buy it. But if Sony + MS both do the same thing then we're fucked and must 'vote' for the lesser of two evils, or play on PC.

It's cute that you think Microsoft gives a fuck about what GAF thinks.

neptunes

I am sure someone will find out by E3.
The was a lot of specifics that weren't revealed for the PS3, 360, and even the WiiU at their respective e3 blowouts, I don't even expect Sony to go all out during this e3 either.

I'm willing to bet the public will know more about the PS4 during TGS than at e3 and the most recent PS4 press event combined.

If it's true I don't see Microsoft giving a straight answer on it for as long as possible.
Or they may want to announce it as soon as possible so the public can digest it longer? I.e. the Wii name announcement?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
At this point, the longer Microsoft waits to unveil the next xbox, the worse it will get....the Bad PR is on a roll

The silence helps fuel XB720 hype levels. The fact this has ignited a firestorm just confirms Microsoft is the backbone of the video game industry. The Playstation brand is being totally eclipsed by the Xbox brand. So far XB720 has gotten more attention than the PS4 and Microsoft hasn't even shown any of their cards. MS has a garrot around the PS4s throat and air is running out.

UberTag

We won't find out until after the system launches and someone reads the system manual.

The silence helps fuel XB720 hype levels. The fact this has ignited a firestorm just confirms Microsoft is the backbone of the video game industry. The Playstation brand is being totally eclipsed by the Xbox brand. So far XB720 has gotten more attention than the PS4 and Microsoft hasn't even shown any of their cards. MS has a garrot around the PS4s throat and air is running out.
Man, you're smoking some powerful weed tonight. Got any you can spare?

Bravo, you almost had me until that last sentence.

Edit: Guys come on, if that isn't the most obvious parody ever then I don't want to live on this earth anymore.

Valkyria

Banned

In which parallel universe?

saunderez

It's cute that you think Microsoft gives a fuck about what GAF thinks.
They will when the early adopters they depend on (us) jump camps and never return. You know how publishers are withdrawing support from Wii U? It could easily happen to Microsoft if we don't grow the user base for them.

neptunes

They will when the early adopters they depend on (us) jump camps and never return. You know how publishers are withdrawing support from Wii U? It could easily happen to Microsoft if we don't grow the user base for them.
You know that will never happen right?

We still don't know who either HW vendor is really targeting (in terms of demographics) they could both be vying for enthusiast consumers or the casual masses, we won't fully know until e3.

Can you not at least admit that this MAY not be a big deal to some consumers?

Vire

tumblr_m8euw1Rs0x1qf1unno1_500.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Then the things you say are your values are not actually your values.

Well, there are values, then there are video game values. I'm not trying to downplay the significance of this conversation, but my point is that I don't feel any guilt over supporting a game or system accused of anti-consumer practices if I feel that the game or system in question is worth what it costs. I don't care about supporting any specific companies or about making a stand, I'm in this for myself.

Demon Ice

Banned

No idea what a garrot is, but I guess it's a good thing it's not a garrotte.

Also, this is a funny post.

Usobuko

Banned

I like to humour myself that early adopters are important.

I don't doubt there exists people who prefer either Microsoft or Sony first parties when they factor these into their decision making. For most people, it will just be a question of ' which system should I get?' and the most common answer will be 'wherever your friends are'.

alstein

There's enough good games out there, that you'll get by.

Boycotts aren't supposed to be painless.

Top Bottom