• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

saunderez

People might actually buy the Wii U if that happened.

I'd probably give up gaming on consoles and stick to PC.
I'm likely to go PC exclusive in this case too. If everyone is trying to rort me I'll go for the guys who are charging less for it. I will buy a heap less games than I currently do though, no more gambles when I have no resale.

neptunes

Of course.
You're a better person than me, considering MS has released Zero details regarding the system.

No games, features, nothing...

I'm still going to evaluate the pros and cons of both when substantial (and confirmed) information is disclosed to the public.

Among ornithologists, it's a gay parrot. Not sure it would do anything to someone's throat. Perhaps it would be uncomfortable?

This thread is really cheering me up. I'm still enjoying the defensive comment from a few pages back that "my power goes out more than my Internet". What does their router run on? Solar panels? A waterwheel?

Space magic.

Cidd

Were you planning on buying the system in the first place?

What happens if 3rd party publishers mandate and online connection on either system?

Nope, I wasn't planning on buying a Durango/whatever it's call, and if this rumored is confirmed I wont even give it a second look.

And if third party is making it mandate to be always online to play a single player game. Then get ready to watch the game industry crash and burn, they're other hobbies I can take up, like fishing and golf.

Ouren

SERVERS DONT LAST FOREVER.

That's the thing.
If every single goddamn game requires always online DRM, say goodbye to the game you just bought 7 years in the future.

Zocano

4Player wrote an article covering the event as well: Link

Not sure if I should've PM'd Shinobi to get it on that long ass list of links but I thought it'd be worth mentioning?

Pennywise

4Player wrote an article covering the event as well: Link

Not sure if I should've PM'd Shinobi to get it on that long ass list of links but I thought it'd be worth mentioning?

"Update: 1:40pm

Sources are telling 4Player that Adam Orth is no longer working for Microsoft. Currently tracking this down further...

...we've confirmed this with one reliable source but not two, and Orth's linkedin has currently shown no movement. We're considering this a high possibility but it currently lacks enough verification for us to confirm at this time."

Holy Hell

Valkyria

Banned
You're a better person than me, cobsidering MS has unveiled Zero details regarding the system.

No games, features, nothing...

I'm still going to evaluate the pros and cons of both when substantial (and confirmed) information is disclosed to the public.

Every console, every time. It doesn't have to be on day one, but missing consoles is missing games. If always online is true then I'll pass on this, I like to own my games not rent them.

Sources are telling 4Player that Adam Orth is no longer working for Microsoft. Currently tracking this down further...

...we've confirmed this with one reliable source but not two, and Orth's linkedin has currently shown no movement. We're considering this a high possibility but it currently lacks enough verification for us to confirm at this time."

Holy Hell
Someone send this information to Polygon, I hear they're always looking for new talent.

RoKKeR

Holy Hell
No way in hell he lasted through the day.

Minions

That's the thing.
If every single goddamn game requires always online DRM, say goodbye to the game you just bought 7 years in the future.

That is my main sticking point. I still play my NES/SNES/N64... and of course my Sony games on my MGSBundle PS3. I see the PS4 is not going to have BC so I know I have to keep my ps3, and I don't want to invest in a console.... that my games wont work on once the next console comes out.

Add to the fact there are "no used games" means you pretty much have 1 shot to buy it in stores. Once they stop being made every time someone opens/activates a game theres 1 less in existence. I guess they will remedy this by having all their games downloadable so them having no remaining retail releases won't be an issue... at least not as far as they are concerned.

nib95

Banned

Holy Hell

Ouch....

Kinda feel bad for him tbh. But seriously, I hope the outrage just works to ensure Microsoft change fucking course about this online only BS and any future no reused games malarkey.

Roto13

Holy Hell

:O

If he got fired, it's for prematurely "leaking" shitty features before they can be properly spun by PR. No way someone that high up is going to be fired for joking with his friend on Twitter.

RoKKeR

If he got fired, it's for prematurely "leaking" shitty features before they can be properly spun by PR. No way someone that high up is going to be fired for joking with his friend on Twitter.

Or spreading his company's name all around the internet in the worst possible light.

jay

That's the thing.

Who plays old games? They don't have enough rams to be any good.

RoKKeR

Aw man, it really sucks to lose a job over some dumb crap on Twitter. What a shame, if true of course.

I'm sorry, but this guy deserves no sympathy. The internet is an ink, and whatever you say will be seen and judged, even if it is in jest. He represents a huge organization that doesn't exactly get a lot of good PR to begin with, so he simply should have known better.

...we've confirmed this with one reliable source but not two, and Orth's linkedin has currently shown no movement. We're considering this a high possibility but it currently lacks enough verification for us to confirm at this time.

Holy shit.

Replicant

Ouch....

Kinda feel bad for him tbh. But seriously, I hope the outrage just works to ensure Microsoft change fucking course about this online only BS and any future no reused games malarkey.

Yup. MS is the one we want to really target here not this guy. If MS thinks that they can get away with it just by firing this guy, they are SO wrong. Consumers shouldn't have to be online to play a game that they've purchased.

The same goes for any other gaming companies thinking of implementing this. Ubisoft, EA, don't even think about it.

rdrr gnr

Holy Hell
So far. I don't believe it.

MrHicks

Banned
serious question

how come these seemingly intelligent people can't fucking grasp the power of twitter???
LEARN TO INTERNET seriously

don't have conversations with friend IN PUBLIC you idiots the entire world can read your crap

maltrain

MR. LAKE:

"All I've heard from my dev friends is what has already been posted on other sites, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the info out there is pretty close to the truth".

Demon Ice

Banned

Holy Hell

Soo...that confirms the always online thing? I doubt they would have fired him if they weren't planning on going with forced online DRM, it's obvious MS is pissed that Orth leaked it before they had a chance to coat it with some shiny PR bullshit.

Can't say I feel sorry for the guy, someone in his position should know not to A) divulge, or even hint at, company secrets on freaking Twitter, and B) insult potential consumers of his company's product.

Holy Hell

If it turns out that always online is true, it would suck for this guy losing his job over this and the idiots who actually make the decisions at Microsoft walk away unscathed.

nib95

Banned
Yup. MS is the one we want to really target here not this guy. If MS thinks that they can get away with it just by firing this guy, they are SO wrong. Consumers shouldn't have to be online to play a game that they've purchased.

Agreed. Fuck Microsoft under a train if some of these rumours are true. Saddens me because I have generally been quite a staunch supporter of Microsoft as a whole, but the last several years as a company they've just been turning to shit. I just really think they need to get rid of Ballmer, re-work management and get some new vision in there. There's SO much potential, but silly mistakes and decisions just keep crippling otherwise decent products and services.

MaulerX

Or maybe he got fired for making his employer look bad by implying something that wasn't true?

bluemax

Banned

Holy Hell

Yeah he got fired.

Ouren

Holy shit.

you are powerful.
NEWMAN!
tumblr_mh7k2lclMG1rdn9dao1_500.jpg

BadAss2961

Holy Hell
Sucks if true.

orznge

Banned

Holy Hell

lol

Soriku

If it turns out that always online is true, it would suck for this guy losing his job over this and the idiots who actually make the decisions at Microsoft walk away unscathed.

Well if the Nextbox doesn't sell much as a result, other people will likely lose their jobs or positions.

nib95

Banned
Or maybe he got fired for making his employer look bad by implying something that wasn't true?

Too many different things that as a whole (imo) paint a very clear picture of it actually being true. Question now is whether it stays true, or if Microsoft will have the sense to change course.

Minions

Unlikely. I expect Microsoft had a plan in how to present all of this information in a way that was appealing. Now that this has happened those attempts are obviously going to be shot down. People know what to look for. Unfortunate if he lost his job, but I'm sure pretty much anyone that works at any corporation signs forms about "public statements". Higher up you go, the more responsibilities and more restraint you have to show.

Top Bottom