• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

ironcreed

Banned
"Update: 1:40pm

Sources are telling 4Player that Adam Orth is no longer working for Microsoft. Currently tracking this down further...

...we've confirmed this with one reliable source but not two, and Orth's linkedin has currently shown no movement. We're considering this a high possibility but it currently lacks enough verification for us to confirm at this time."

Holy Hell

VLSztUh.jpg

Too many different things that as a whole (imo) paint a very clear picture of it actually being true. Question now is whether it stays true, or if Microsoft will have the sense to change course.

Microsoft deciding to change their minds last minute because of this will make pro-microsoft supporters in this thread say we were wrong the whole time, and we will get more threads than I can handle.

But at the end of the day it'll still be better than an always on console.

Truespeed

Aw man, it really sucks to lose a job over some dumb crap on Twitter. What a shame, if true of course.

Do you work for a large corporation? One thing they constantly stress to you is that your actions on and off work represent the company. And if you do anything that makes the company look bad it is grounds for dismissal.

shamanick

Being a Twitter star will always make you vulnerable, I don't see why companies haven't clamped down HARD on social media

But fuck me if it isn't entertaining. Keep it going please!

x-Lundz-x

Sources are telling 4Player that Adam Orth is no longer working for Microsoft. Currently tracking this down further...

...we've confirmed this with one reliable source but not two, and Orth's linkedin has currently shown no movement. We're considering this a high possibility but it currently lacks enough verification for us to confirm at this time."

Holy Hell

Wow, I feel kinda bad for the guy if this is true but he really should have known better.

And as others have said, he wouldn't be fired for joking around with a buddy. He would be fired for letting cat out of the bag early.

zroid

Banned
I am late as fuck, but I saw this guy's tweets the other day and thought "well, he's a douche". I had no idea he was the one referenced by this thread, or even that he was a Microsoft employee. Holy hell.

PS: honestly, if he lost his job for this, I don't really have much sympathy.

Do you work for a large corporation? One thing they constantly stress to you is that your actions on and off work represent the company. And if you do anything that makes the company look bad it is grounds for dismissal.

I work at a huge corporation and yeah, I pretty much have no social media site because of it.

It's common sense, also it can give your co-workers dirt to push to your supervisors. It's not just the fans of your company that is going to play detective.

nib95

Banned
Microsoft deciding to change their minds last minute because of this will make pro-microsoft supporters in this thread say we were wrong the whole time, and we will get more threads than I can handle.

But at the end of the day it'll still be better than an always on console.

I don't really care about the forum based political ramifications, especially from the staunch Microsoft supporters. I just want a NextBox that isn't always online and can play used games. I very nearly gave the 360 a cold shoulder over XBL Gold, but at the end of the day, the exclusives were still great and the online service was still somewhat better than the competition (not nearly enough to justify the cost mind), but this new stuff? Way too far.

EDIT: On a side note, why do some people still hold on to this notion that GAF is unimportant in the grand scheme of things, when time and time again it shows it has the ability to make news, headlines and drop bombs.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So if they do/did fire him today which seems more and more likely, this pretty much confirms he let the cat out of the bag pretty much ie always-online required. I hope MS sees all this and changes their minds if that's the case.

jay

Yeah, the reactions here are sort of shocking. I've worked at places where they'd probably follow up the firing with a lawsuit.

blackflag

Some of you guys are so naive. I said it 100 pages ago, many others did as well. He will be fired for this. Whether it happened today or they try to quietly do it in a couple weeks to try and sneak it under the press, he's done. I am a Marketing director at a Fortune 500 and we've let more senior people than this go for much less serious PR goofs.

Surely by this point you see the amount of money, positive press, goodwill, etc this has cost them. Now instead of staring at awe at their new console, every publication on earth is just going to focus on this. They probably had their whole reveal copy done and are now rewriting it all.

Anth0ny

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he loses his job. Feel bad for the dude, but it was a stupid thing to do.

Microsoft shows no mercy.

Flatline

Banned

Holy Hell

I feel bad for the guy. Looks like Microsoft doesn't get that we aren't pissed off at him but at the company's decisions.

No sympathy for someone who makes terrible analogies, insults where others who would buy the product live and basically trolls his customers.

MaulerX

Too many different things that as a whole (imo) paint a very clear picture of it actually being true. Question now is whether it stays true, or if Microsoft will have the sense to change course.

If true then I expect some exclusive partnerships with major publishers for some games. Now, if contracts have already been signed, can Microsoft just back out? I wonder if that's why Sony are going hard after Indy's?

UberTag

When the sweet billy neogaf post was unveiled, that was honestly the highlight of this thread for me.

I was there when the reddit post went up and was thinking it's BS when the guy started saying he wanted people to call him Sweet Billy 13 years ago.

Then, lo and behold, a neogaf post from only 6 years ago shows up with a user named sweet billy starting off by saying he's adam orth and I lost it.
Glad I was able to contribute to someone's night.

Frankly, I was dumbfounded that a google search picked that isolated post up right away.
I honestly wasn't expecting to find anything.

Pennywise

MR. LAKE:

"All I've heard from my dev friends is what has already been posted on other sites, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the info out there is pretty close to the truth".

Weird because he is still under the NDA.

@Cidd
I thought the first joke would be a sweet billy one, but the memes are suited much better.
Since it wasn't the first time (according to the reddit picture), I'll sure hope he will find something else.

Fewr

Some of you guys are so naive. I said it 100 pages ago, many others did as well. He will be fired for this. Whether it happened today or they try to quietly do it in a couple weeks to try and sneak it under the press, he's done. I am a Marketing director at a Fortune 500 and we've let more senior people than this go for much less serious PR goofs.

Surely by this point you see the amount of money, positive press, goodwill, etc this has cost them. Now instead of staring at awe at their new console, every publication on earth is just going to focus on this. They probably had their whole reveal copy done and are now rewriting it all.
Worth quoting. Also, he's not just any random employee, he's a director.

Flatline

Banned
Speak for yourself, the guy is still a righteous asshole.

He's not, everything that sounds douchey like the deal with it part was directed at his friend as a joke. The excuses were stupid but nothing really douchey about them.

Hex

Banned
I feel bad for the guy. Looks like Microsoft doesn't get that we aren't pissed off at him but at the company's decisions.

Not sure who these "we" folks that you speak of are, but they seem to be the minority because most that I am reading seem t think that he is a true jackass.

His comments were pretty douchey but damn...I'm...sort of sorry

Yeah. That sucks if the dude really lost his job.

Truth. I'd imagine breaking non-disclosure acts doesn't thrill them much either. Still feel bad for anyone losing their job, so hopefully it's not true and he'll just walk away from the situation having learned to not turn to public venues to vent.

JDSN

Banned
I think sweet billy's firing really seals the deal, its happening. Hey Shinobi, remember, you are still a good person.

Top Bottom