• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Boss Man

No sympathy for someone who makes terrible analogies, insults where others who would buy the product live and basically trolls his customers.
I don't really buy the "just messing with my friend" thing either. That was just the way he (begging the help of said friend, probably) backtracked on the more blatantly offensive part of it all.

DaBoss

I feel sorry for the fact he may have lost his job, but he only has himself to blame, and even then, he said the wrong thing ant the wrong place, and at the wrong time. That's all there is too it. It was pretty much the final puzzle piece that basically made the picture clear as to what Microsoft is doing/

Flatline

Banned
Not sure who these "we" folks that you speak of are, but they seem to be the minority because most that I am reading seem t think that he is a true jackass.

Anyone who followed the thread from the beginning knows where he was joking and where he was being serious but thanks to gaming "journalism" they made him look like a complete asshat. Not saying that the electricity comparisons weren't extremely stupid but that's only it, everything else was just him joking with a friend.

unbias

Worth quoting. Also, he's not just any random employee, he's a director.

Well ya, the biggest problem, regardless of his asshatness, was that his defensive nature helped add validity to the Kotaku article, which lends credence to the idea that microsoft in some way is going to apply always online DRM on their system in some fashion. While that might not be the case, it was a terribly timed high level employee response. If this was on a financial industry level, the same ends would have happened(but probably sooner and/or more harsh).

shamanick

I think sweet billy's firing really seals the deal, its happening. Hey Shinobi, remember, you are NOT a bad person.

specops_story4.jpg

Ouch....

Kinda feel bad for him tbh. But seriously, I hope the outrage just works to ensure Microsoft change fucking course about this online only BS and any future no reused games malarkey.

That's assuming they can.

I was just thinking about this hypothetically: What if Microsoft is designing the new XBox Live with all these "always on" networked boxes as central to the strategy? Well, those "always on" boxes all become "assets" that Microsoft can leverage to take far more networking tasks off of their servers and on to this new peer-to-peer network.

Just something to think about...

ascii42

I don't really buy the "just messing with my friend" thing either. That was just the way he (begging the help of said friend, probably) backtracked on the more blatantly offensive part of it all.

Eh, I accepted that excuse. I live in Middle Georgia, and most of my friends would have a similar response if I suggested they move here. It's totally the sort of thing we'd joke about. Stupid to make the comment in public, though.

nib95

Banned
I think his firing really seals the deal, its happening. Hey Shinobi, remember, you are NOT a bad person.

In a way Shinobi did us all a favour. He gave consumers and core gamers an avenue to vent their frustrations at the notion of an always online console and all it might entail, and with this story, very wide reaching media sway.

If Microsoft don't get the picture after not only this, but the Sim City debacle among other things, they deserve all the negativity they get.

That's assuming they can.

I was just thinking about this hypothetically: What if Microsoft is designing the new XBox Live with all these "always on" networked boxes as central to the strategy? Well, those "always on" boxes all become "assets" that Microsoft can leverage to take far more networking tasks off of their servers and on to this new peer-to-peer network.

Just something to think about...

I hope they can, but it might make sense that this late in the game it could be difficult to switch things up. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Unreal.

One minute you're messing around making stupid forum-like twitter posts and the next minute you're at the center of scandal blowing the fuck up all over the gaming news and mainstream media, meme-ified and out of a big executive level job. Incredible.

He should have known better given his position, but I still feel bad for the guy. Crazy how the Internet can destroy lives. Gotta be careful how you use it.

He's not, everything that sounds douchey like the deal with it part was directed at his friend as a joke. The excuses were stupid but nothing really douchey about them.

OEY5yp8.jpg

The initial "Deal with it" wasn't directed at his friend and it's real easy to say you were only playfully disparaging the majority of your audience after righteously propping yourself above them prior.

Boss Man

I feel bad for him because I have empathy, but the dude brought it on himself completely and his attitude doesn't make it easy to care a whole lot.

Shin you just shared what you saw, nothing to 'sort of' feel bad about at all.

jay

Someone needs to invent a way to communicate with friends online that isn't public to everyone on the internet. Google, get on it.

Cidd

I wonder if this affects MS Durango unveiling?

Now that this is out in the open it will be the number one thing on everybody's mind during their conference, MS is in a real shitty position all thank to this guys tweet.

Flatline

Banned
OEY5yp8.jpg

The initial "Deal with it" wasn't directed at his friend and it's real easy to say you were only playfully disparaging the majority of your audience after righteously propping yourself above them prior.

Do you really think that the comment "why would I want to live there" wasn't tongue in cheek?

Speevy

Banned
There is no reason to feel sorry for a guy who probably made a six figure salary. He'll be fine.

Someone in his position should have known better than to shoot off his mouth on Twitter.

nib95

Banned
Someone needs to invent a way to communicate with friends online that isn't public to everyone on the internet. Google, get on it.

Whatsapp can have multiple contacts in a thread, but otherwise I guess a massive private Facebook group discussion of some kind. But now that you mention it, I wonder why there isn't a Twitter private version lol (unless there is). Businesses etc could use it.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This thread is exploding again with the news of Orth's possible termination.

I'll be the first to admit he pinched a nerve with me but not sure if his arrogance should get him canned.

unbias

Whatsapp can have multiple contacts in a thread, but otherwise I guess a massive private Facebook group discussion of some kind. But now that you mention it, I wonder why there isn't a Twitter private version lol (unless there is). Businesses etc could use it.

Or they could use AIM/MSN Messenger/Trillion and ect. I mean, I know they are not "cool" anymore, but ya.

Takao

Banned

Twitter has Direct Messages for one on one chats.

Ok, I'm late to the party and just read this part of his post of Gaf:

i work for sony. i regret getting involved in this situation with david and i'd hate to have our IM conversation reflect badly on sony as a company. that's the thing that bothers me the most, because it has nothing to do with them. i made a mistake and even though i stand by my opinions 100%, i'm a little embarrassed about this.

Seriously? He's done this before?

Edit: Link

UberTag

I've been working for a Microsoft Partner for the past 8 years now. On Xbox for 5 of those years.
This outcome was inevitable. The writing was on the wall and I said as much in my first post back on Page 12 thirty minutes after Shinobi kicked off the festivities.

There are reasons why certain people shouldn't be allowed on Twitter.
THIS is one of them.

My God... what hell has he unleashed upon the masses.
Microsoft does not play around.

And yes, Adam has done this before by publically trashing Halo and using social media irresponsibly while representing Sony.
He should have learned that lesson. He didn't.

ascii42

Office communicator works fine for most businesses I imagine.

anonymous12390

Neo Member
That one guy from reddit said his bad attitude got him fired from a number of places in the past, right?

Who knows...? Maybe he's had plenty of chances to clean up his act, but never did.

I wonder if this affects MS Durango unveiling?

Now that this is out in the open it will be the number one thing on everybody's mind during their conference, MS is in a real shitty position all thank to this guys tweet.

That's really probably more of the issue for MS. Everyone keeps harping on the idea that they have their own schedule for unveiling and their own brand of messaging. Then an employee not only brings an incredibly contentious aspect of the console to the forefront but also does it in a shitty way that's immediately off-putting for the vast majority of presumable consumers. It's crazy.

Do you really think that the comment "why would I want to live there" wasn't tongue in cheek?

the very first tweet in that image to spark that playful banter between the best of buddies sure doesn't seem like it

Cidd

I know, never meant any intense harm, just wanted to bring to light this ridiculous always-on bullshit.

He brought this on himself, This may be a blessing in disguise maybe now that MS saw the backlash they will give that ridiculous idea a second thought.

Keep fighting the good fight soldier

big_boss__s_salute___mgs3_by_rainedrebellion-d57boh0.gif

ascii42

Ok, I'm late to the party and just read this part of his post of Gaf:

Seriously? He's done this before?

Different situation. He and Jaffe were talking about Halo 3, and he said "Fuck Halo" among other things. Basically, he was just being unprofessional, which could reflect badly on Sony, I suppose. But nothing like he's potentially done to Microsoft.

Top Bottom