• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: PS4 has 5 GB RAM/6 CPU cores available to devs, talks using them

Nafai1123

Banned
So many operating system architects in this thread, it is amazing! Must be another case of lazy devs.
/s

How can people comment saying how excessive 3GB reserved is. I'd love to hear what they would change to lower it.

SMH.

Considering a full install of Windows doesn't even use that much, it's not unreasonable to consider the reserve excessive. That doesn't mean we're accusing them of being lazy devs or anything, it just means they're reserving a lot of RAM for the OS. No need to read so much into it.

Yeah I noticed how they indirectly confirmed that. But hey at least there's still 500 mb of virtual RAM they can use from the HDD!

Then at least it wouldn't be using almost half of that for non-gaming stuff :S
Eurogamer mentioned 4.5 GB RAM and 500 mb virtual RAM arriving at a total 5 GB RAM available for developers. This seems to support that, even though the 500 mb part is not mentioned.

Good thing I swapped in a SSHD :)
Hehe. That will definitely help in the case of games that pre-load a lot of stuff and then stream the rest resulting in a single extensive load time on boot-up. SSD should nicely improve the initial loading time in games from ND and QD for sure as they both rely on this method to get rid of mid-level loading screens. Of course it will massively help with the worst offenders such as GT too.

flyshow

Oh, I was at this talk, it was at my University. It was extremely fascinating to follow along since it relates so closely to my education, and I love Naughty Dog games.

I'm not sure if they cut this part, but at some time Jason mentions they use Scheme at Naughty Dog, and the auditorium pretty much exploded at that time because that's the language we used for Fundamentals of Programming, but everyone just assumed it was educational only -- not a lot of practical uses outside of the class room (especially when CLisp exists).

Good times!

Edit: Yeah, it was cut from the video :<
WnvBAG8.png

The usage of Lisp in ND has been well known in the industry. Jason is the author of Game Engine Architecture, and in the book he reveals several development gems in ND.

As for this talk, it's nothing new in terms of tech. The only interesting part is the confirmation of 2 reserved CPU cores and 3 reserved gigs.

UnrealEck

So does this mean Uncharted PS4 is 1080p/60FPS confirmed?

No. 1080p at 60 FPS is entirely dependant on what the game is asking of the hardware.
I don't even know of a single game so far that actually maintains 60 FPS at that resolution. It depends on how much is going on in a scene. Developers like ND seem to spend a lot of time building a scene to performance budget really maticulously.

Iolo

Like many other terms, this one has no single, official definition. Other people refer to other things as "fibers" in the context of parallel computing, but from the context of the talk and slides, they are definitely describing a job-based, asynchronous architecture.

When you say that, it reminds me of an article about -- I believe -- the game Another World for the Atari ST, in which the developer mentioned scheduling jobs in timeslots in 32 "channels" to implement asynchronous background tasks. I always found it amazing this was accomplished on a low-spec machine. Off-topic I suppose, but it's interesting how this approach isn't exclusive to multicore, high performance machines. Of course, he didn't call it "fibers." ;)

slapnuts

Finally...nice to see some comments from a studio that is truly competent. I expect to see some truly amazing things on PS4 in the coming year and years. I really believe there is a lot more than what we have seen out of the PS4. Right now we have not seen any games that truly takes advantage of the architecture of PS4...the GPGPU, extra ACEs,etc...I am really looking forward to these games that actually take advantage of thse things. We are in that nasty cross-gen phase still.

DrkSage

Yes, yes... I'm taking computer science and I have no idea whats going on here :p
probably cause it still my first year lol

furious

Banned
Considering a full install of Windows doesn't even use that much, it's not unreasonable to consider the reserve excessive. That doesn't mean we're accusing them of being lazy devs or anything, it just means they're reserving a lot of RAM for the OS. No need to read so much into it.

I guess I didn't understand that a Windows install was the baseline for determining excessive memory usage. I might just do a clean install of Windows for my PS4.

Jburton

Banned
How do you think that will happen while keeping the same features of the OS? while adding more over time?

Happened on the PS3, it will happen here.

Better to have more than you need and then give back the excess than need more than you have and unable to take any back.

Its called common sense, no need to be a technical wizard to understand that.

So many in here getting carried away with over dramatics.

six jaguar cores and only 5GBs of RAM available to devs?

ouch. explains a few things.

This has been known since before the consoles came out. The OS' take a big portion to prepare for future updates/features (7-10yr cycle is a long time). iirc the Xbone is about the same in how much is reserved for the OS.

Andrefpvs

The usage of Lisp in ND has been well known in the industry. Jason is the author of Game Engine Architecture, and in the book he reveals several development gems in ND.

As for this talk, it's nothing new in terms of tech. The only interesting part is the confirmation of 2 reserved CPU cores and 3 reserved gigs.

Of course Lisp is used by ND. And not only by them. I was talking about the usage of Scheme specifically, since for a significant part of the people present at this talk, Scheme was the first contact they had with programming.

Reallink

I guess I didn't understand that a Windows install was the baseline for determining excessive memory usage. I might just do a clean install of Windows for my PS4.

Are you insinuating the PS4 OS should require more memory and/or does more than Windows?

VanWinkle

You think about how Guerilla are absolute beasts at tech because that's what they're BEST known foe. Sometimes I forget that Naughty Dog, since they're highly regarded developers all-around, are just as mind-blowing as Guerilla in the tech realm.

Sony's teams are just incredible with the tech side of games. SSM obviously, Evolution, Liverpool (RIP), Media Molecule, and Sucker Punch is now up there, too.

I'm really excited for PS4's first party output looking forward.

Nafai1123

Banned

Insert "Windows" with any other OS, all with more functionality than the PS4 OS, and it would be the same argument. But feel free to continue to be furious about something I suppose.

Loudninja

You think about how Guerilla are absolute beasts at tech because that's what they're BEST known foe. Sometimes I forget that Naughty Dog, since they're highly regarded developers all-around, are just as mind-blowing as Guerilla in the tech realm.

Sony's teams are just incredible with the tech side of games. SSM obviously, Evolution, Liverpool (RIP), Media Molecule, and Sucker Punch is now up there, too.

Yeah its pretty amazing seeing what they can do this early.

Metfanant

So does this mean Uncharted PS4 is 1080p/60FPS confirmed?
I'll put the over/under on 5% chance that UC4 is 1080/60....it's gonna be 1080/30 all the way...

3 GB of ram for OS and my PS4 still crashes when going to the XMB while playing killzone?

Certainly not an inherent RAM issue as that has never happened to me...

This is not shocking news to me...though I think 2GB should be enough to pull off the PS4's OS...I think most are missing the concept that just because 3GB is reserved does not mean its all being used...

The idea is you reserve more than you need so that you have wiggle room to add features and such...you can always give some back as you optimize and shrink the OS footprint...you can't take more away later on when you find out you goofed (PS3 cross game chat)

SONY'S teams are just incredible with the tech side of games. SSM obviously, Evolution, Liverpool (RIP), Media Molecule, and Sucker Punch is now up there, too.

Yeah, it is kinda odd how the massive SOFTWARE company Microsoft doesn't have really good software teams. They've outsourced much of their exclusive content (DeadRising 3, Ryse, Titanfall, etc.) They have some good internal teams (Turn10, Rare, 343) but they have not wowed us lately.

EagleEyes

Yeah, because the different type of RAM totally wasn't a reason for that.
It had nothing to do with the type of RAM. The debate was that the Xbox One wasn't a gaming console first because it was allocating 3 of the available 8 gigs of RAM for non gaming usage.

Hexa

Yeah, it is kinda odd how the massive SOFTWARE company Microsoft doesn't have really good software teams. They've outsourced much of their exclusive content (DeadRising 3, Ryse, Titanfall, etc.) They have some good internal teams (Turn10, Rare, 343) but they have not wowed us lately.

I think at this point, while games still obviously are still code and numbers, they're more 'media' than just plain old software, and thus it makes sense that Sony which has a powerful media arm has a stronger set of internal teams.

DrkSage

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Sony said that it had 1GB of flexible ram memory or whatever? Meaning it can possibly go up to 6 gigs of ram?

They need their own ICE team now more than ever considering how the system is currently performing.

Biker19

Banned
Less RAM than I had thought. I expected it was 6GB. Hopefully that opens up more.

I do like hearing ND talk about 1080p/60. Here's hoping they go back to 60fps like they did in the PS2 days.

Happened on the PS3, it will happen here.

Better to have more than you need and then give back the excess than need more than you have and unable to take any back.

Its called common sense, no need to be a technical wizard to understand that.

So many in here getting carried away with over dramatics.

This has been known since before the consoles came out. The OS' take a big portion to prepare for future updates/features (7-10yr cycle is a long time). iirc the Xbone is about the same in how much is reserved for the OS.

That could be considered good news, as it's far too early to max the system out.

Once good optimization for the OS occurs, then Sony will be able to give some of that remaining 3 GB's of RAM for developers in order for them to have good looking games in the future.

Zen

Banned
3 gigs of ram reserved, yeesh, here is hoping that it gets down to 1 gig sometime in the future.

edit: right 5 gigs of direct ram and 1 gig of flexible ram from the OS

CLEEK

The 5GB available isn't new news. It was clarified by DF in July last year.

Digital Foundry said:
But to be clear, of the 8GB of GDDR5 on PS4, our contention is that 5GB of it is available to developers.

The confusion is probably around the difference between Direct Memory and Flexible Memory. ND were talking about how that manage RAM allocation. I'd imagie they were just refereing to the Direct Memory. That is, the chuck of GDDR5 that they have full control over.

As per the articles from July last year, there is also another section of Flexible RAM which is managed by the Linux based OS. Developers wouldn't be able to micro manage RAM allocation if this was handled by the OS.

So yeah, based on what DF said last year, and what ND are saying now, it seems like devs have access to 5GB of Direct RAM. And if no-one contradicts the DF article fro last year, they will also have access to an additional 1GB of OS managed Flexible RAM.

If that's the case, the posts last year from Thuway et al that games have 6GB to play with are accurate.

Havel

Considering practically no game on PC even uses over 4GB of RAM (aside from maybe modded Skyrim), this isn't really a big deal. We are also still at the start of the gen, give it time and that 3GB will go down to <2GB.

5GB is fine for now.

There are 8 CPU cores, that are “higher quality more powerful processors than what you have on the main CPU of the PS3,” and they’re organized into two clusters.
Gregory also explains that the GPU is “more powerful than it’s necessary to render graphics at 1080p at 60 hz

Prove it.

Prelude.

It had nothing to do with the type of RAM. The debate was that the Xbox One wasn't a gaming console first because it was allocating 3 of the available 8 gigs of RAM for non gaming usage.
Not at all. The Xbone was already at a bandwidth disadvantage, so the fact that they even allocated 3gb to the OS was even more jarring. We already knew that the PS4 reserved at least 2gb.

Top Bottom