• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: PS4 has 5 GB RAM/6 CPU cores available to devs, talks using them

lol do you guys remember that ridiculous thread where people were speculating on the PS4 OS RAM usage... and then ND just comes in and says "Oh yeah, it's 5gb."

R3TRODYCE

So 5gb for devs after all, dem insiders are on a roll lately /s. I hope that since water was a big thing in U1, snow in U2, and sand in U3 that they bring another cool effect to U4.

Does it cache the video capturing to hdd or the 3gb ram? Because when i go to my sharing menu i have multiple 15 minute videos which i think is pretty pointless. Reduce the ram footprint for the os and make it so only 15-20 minutes save, then just rewrite that.

every time YOU push the share button youre saving a video & taking a screenshot by default......

belmonkey

So 5gb for devs after all, dem insiders are on a roll lately /s. I hope that since water was a big thing in U1, snow in U2, and sand in U3 that they bring another cool effect to U4.

Perhaps lots of grass and nice fields, like Crysis 3?

iG5kHUzdCcyRE.gif

HDD is still pretty slow :)

But way faster than the read speed of the optical drive. All of Naughty Dog's PS3 games steamed off of the Blu-ray, including The Last of Us.

So yes, load times on Naughty Dog's PS4 Uncharted will be much improved.

Overall product uncharted 2 was the best both sp and mp. The game won't have any graphic problems but gameplay and story is gonna be a big question mark... they made uncharted 3 terrible and fired the person who did the story for past uncharteds. Shadowfall has top notch graphics and game engine compared to other engines/games but you know how that ended up with the game..

Cute fairy tale. So instead of firing Amy because of Uncharted 3's story was terrible back when the game was released, Naughty Dog kept her on as paid dead weight for an additional 2 years? Not to mention she wrote Uncharted 2's story as well.
Your argument is starting to make sense.

lol do you guys remember that ridiculous thread where people were speculating on the PS4 OS RAM usage... and then ND just comes in and says "Oh yeah, it's 5gb."

it was hilarious then and its hilarious now.

Xbox One - 3 gig OS reserve??? not a gaming machine!
PS4 - So what if it also reserves 3 gigs for the OS? It has a extra 512MB to 1GB for super mega high resolution textures and stuff so that makes it okay!

My god was that RAM war stupid.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
3GB for OS and we still don't have a true sleep mode for games yet. Drop the reservation by a gig at least, please. I'd much rather that be in the hands of developers than for minor incremental updates to the OS. 2 Gig should be more than enough to do anything they feasibly want to with the OS while it still matters in terms of competitive positioning.

It is pretty laughable that either game machine would be reserving nearly 40% of their RAM for anything other than games, but here we are.

Skinpop

I'm not sure if they cut this part, but at some time Jason mentions they use Scheme at Naughty Dog, and the auditorium pretty much exploded at that time because that's the language we used for Fundamentals of Programming, but everyone just assumed it was educational only -- not a lot of practical uses outside of the class room (especially when CLisp exists).

the parentheses, the nightmares.

Biker19

Banned

Xbox One - 3 gig OS reserve??? not a gaming machine!
PS4 - So what if it also reserves 3 gigs for the OS? It has a extra 512MB to 1GB for super mega high resolution textures and stuff so that makes it okay!

My god was that RAM war stupid.

The difference in what you just said, is that PS4 is a gaming machine first, with media acting as secondary, while for Xbox One, it's a Kinect/Multimedia/TV machine as the primary focus, with gaming acting as secondary.

John_B

They should easily be able to shrink the reserved OS memory, but it would have been near impossible to expand it. Not limiting themselves from the start in terms of possible future OS functions was pretty smart.

CraZed

So how would Sony go about freeing up more ram for games?

At the moment you can multitask games and apps (like netflix). It's a nice feature, but I would give it up if it meant more memory for games.

Easy. They just do it. It is much more preferable to have allocated more RAM than they need for OS and other tasks than the alternative a la the PS3.

PS3 owners missed out on cross game chat etc. due to not having the memory to do it. Once the resources are allocated to games there is no getting it back without negatively impacting game performance.

At least this way when they find they don't need the whole 3GB they can release it for game devs.

Besides 5GB is plenty of dedicated RAM. I can't believe people are actually flipping out over this news.

belmonkey

Not unless you are pushing higher than 1080p resolutions. Might change in a few years though.

I'm a little disappointed that there doesn't really seem to be many (or any) games that use over 2GB VRAM before throwing AA or higher resolution at it, and even when it comes to modding something like Skyrim, 4GB is the limit. Maybe Maxwell will change that, or at least 64-bit moddable games.

CLEEK

Doesn't the vita have a separate pool of VRAM?

Yeah. 512MB main RAM, plus 128MB VRAM. I've only heard of the main RAM being reserved for the OS.

Edit: Forgot to mention, even the WiiU reserves half of its 2GB main RAM for the OS. The fact the WiiU's OS needs 1GB is mind boggling.

Chumpion

I can hear all those unallocated bits crying in anguish...

Get off your ass, Sony, and start unlocking shit! Don't make me come over there!

What was the hard cap on ram bandwidth @60 frames per second on the PS4? Weren't the battlefield devs saying it was something in the ballpark of 4 gigs usable?

Spinluck

just read OP, gonna be fun seeing tech-GAF has to say about this.

ND sounds like they really know what the hell they're doing. i really like breakdowns like this, and finding out how things work.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Besides 5GB is plenty of dedicated RAM. I can't believe people are actually flipping out over this news.
That argument cuts both ways. 1-2 GB should be plenty of dedicated RAM for OS. 3GB is simply overkill. If I had to choose who to put the spare memory in the hands of, I'd choose game developers every time.

Sony's OS team apparently weren't even aware that anyone cared about playing their MP3s or using custom soundtracks, so I'm not exactly holding my breath for whatever big plans they might have for OS updates.

slapnuts

The PS3's OS shrunk immensely and had lots of features added. It will happen again.

Kinda like how Sony always shrinks the console's size over time..i fully expect the OS to shrink over time along with more of that OS ram given back to developers. Why some are thinking this is set in stone is baffling...give it time folks,we are 4 months into the launch of the system. Everything will be better optimized in the coming months and years..like it always does for every console.

slapnuts

good read/watch
step 1... shrink the reserve to 1 gig, I have yet to press the share button a single time since launch day.

It's gonna be shrunk man...the OS is always further optimized over time, how much extra ram developers will have later down the road is unknown but i personally dont mind this at all because i love how console machines get optimized over their lifespan..its just kinda fun to see evolve i guess..kinda nerdy i know but neat to me.

I suspect Sony just wanted to have a decent size reserve until they can fine-tune the OS to be much more efficient. If i had to take a wild guess..i would say the OS right can be cut down by at least 50% in the future giving developers another 1gb or 1.5gb of that giving them 6 or 6.5gb of ram for game development. I would put everything on it that we will see more ram given over to developers as time goes on.

CLEEK

That argument cuts both ways. 1-2 GB should be plenty of dedicated RAM for OS. 3GB is simply overkill. If I had to choose who to put the spare memory in the hands of, I'd choose game developers every time.

Sony's OS team apparently weren't even aware that anyone cared about playing their MP3s or using custom soundtracks, so I'm not exactly holding my breath for whatever big plans they might have for OS updates.

ITT posters think they know how to build a modern console OS.

If both Sony and MS fell that 3GB is needed for a future proofed, modern OS, they would have a far better understanding of the actual requirements than armchair critics.

As for your second point, Sony have been pretty clear that the OS the PS4 launched with was just focusing on offering a stable gaming environment. The firmware roadmap will likely be planned out well to the future, with a ton more features being added in latter firmware updates. We're still missing big features like suspend/resume, which in itself could eat up a load of the reserved RAM. Plus they've stated that DLNA functionality is incoming.

Why is this a big deal? There isn't a single game on PC yet that requires more than 2GB on the graphics card to do 1080p?

The max amount of Ram you can find on a single graphics card today is 4GB and does 3TF which is way way way overkill for running a game at 1080p.

If we are on the verge of implementing Raytracing Graphics in the next few years then I'd be concerned. But the last time I checked, that requires 16GB of RAM.

kuroshiki

RexNovis

Banned
people were mainly mocking the 10% gpu reserve iirc. but it seems like both systems are wasting precious system resources on casual bullshit os features.

If the damn near instantaneous speed of the PS4 os is a "casual bullshit os feature" then i guess that makes me a causal gamer cause that is the single greatest thing about the machine thus far.

Fezan

So if PS4 is using 3gb of memory and 2 cores of cpu for OS whats the function of 256mb of LDDR memoy in there with arm cpu ?

We all know PS4 comes with 8GB GDDR5 RAM. What I don't get is, why is Sony wasting the performance of expensive GDDR5 RAM on freaking OS? They should have slapped on 4GB DDR3 RAM set aside for the OS rather than OS gobbling up precious GDDR5 RAM. I realize that would have added another $20 or so to the cost, but it just seems like an odd way to utilize the performance of GDDR5 RAM.
Once the amount of memory reserved for the OS is reduced, the extra memory will be usable for games.

That's why all the RAM is a single pool of GDDR5.

Neff

This was known some time ago.

So how would Sony go about freeing up more ram for games?

At the moment you can multitask games and apps (like netflix). It's a nice feature, but I would give it up if it meant more memory for games.

By slowing down the currently speedy OS, and by removing the recording/streaming feature, which is the main reason for the RAM reserve. Remember that your PS4 is always recording your last 15 minutes of activity, photographing and storing many, many frames of high resolution images, which can end up consuming a lot of space. They're obviously not going to remove this feature, so 5gb seems to be our limit.

Oemenia

Banned
Lower level access like mantle offers like 25-30% better performance, not fantastical shit like 2x which is the nonsense people throw around when talking about "coding to the metal".
Now you're contradicting yourself.

Console optimisation really brings out he venom in the master-race.

Nafai1123

Banned

By slowing down the currently speedy OS, and by removing the recording/streaming feature, which is the main reason for the RAM reserve. Remember that your PS4 is always recording your last 15 minutes of activity, photographing and storing many, many frames of high resolution images, which can end up consuming a lot of space. They're obviously not going to remove this feature, so 5gb seems to be our limit.

I'm not so sure this is the case. 720p video in h.264 format typically uses around 2.5Mb/s, which would only be about 280MB of storage at any given time. I would expect the OS reserve to go down over time without any slowdown or loss of functionality. I suspect they decided to reserve large amount as a safety measure, since RAM usage can always be decreased but can never be increased.

cchum

Lower level access like mantle offers like 25-30% better performance, not fantastical shit like 2x w"hich is the nonsense people throw around when talking about "coding to the metal".

"No, you just cannot compare consoles to PC directly. Consoles could do at least 2x what a comparable PC can due to the fixed platform and low-level access to hardware."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-metro-last-light

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9999/vum.png

"Consoles run 2x or so better than equal PC hardware, but it isn't just API in the way, focus a single spec also matters"

Jburton

Banned

Most of the streaming / recording feature is handled by the ARM SoC and it's own memory, of course the feature utilises some of the main RAM but not to the extent that you would have to get rid of the feature or hinder it to be able to claw back RAM reserve.

Also according to reports at the time, 5gb is always there for games with 1gb that can be clawed back as well.

Top Bottom