• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2014

jimboton

The Witcher 3 is way more exciting than dark souls.

Its the first true next gen RPG and it looks to be ground breaking.

DarkSouls 2 is just more of the same in all honesty.

I'd like to share in the general optimism regarding Witcher 3 but I fear the franchise will go down the same path that The Elder Scrolls went from Morrowind to Oblivion: streamlining will be felt. Maybe I'm wrong. But even if it managed to combine the best bits of Witcher 2 and Bethesda rpgs like it aims to, I'd still rather have more of that 'same' you speak of.

Hoo-doo

Banned
lololol, some of these rankings are incredibly telling and confirm prior suspicions but I'll just leave it at that. And should we count Persona 5?

I don't know where exactly to place my excitement, honestly, but I guess that's a good problem to have.

Spill it then, oh wise one. Because right now you just look like a guy who's had his feelings hurt because his precious game is nowhere to be seen at the top of the list.

Ontopic: Persona 5, inFamous, Destiny and the Order are my picks. Good list.

The network test of DS2 introduced a couple of annoyance in the UI and splitting up attributes has me a little worried about making multipurpose builds, so I'm a little more excited for TW3. It might be a tall order for CDR to make good on all of their promises, but they are saying everything right.

Amir0x

Banned
Hahahaha. Best kept to myself, but, yeah, earth shattering stuff.

Is it something somebody said on NeoGaf, or some lively conversation on GAF that could have been interpreted the wrong way? Not to be nosy but for once I'd like to really understand this mentality, to engage with individuals and thus learn more about this sort of thinking?

;)

Milennia

Is it something somebody said on NeoGaf, or some lively conversation on GAF that could have been interpreted the wrong way? Not to be nosy but for once I'd like to really understand this mentality, to engage with individuals and thus learn more about this sort of thinking?

;)

Lol amazing.

Parmenide

;)
Beautiful.

Salex_

Do you think it is a stretch to say that Microsoft has the smallest vocal following on this site? We've had the GAF Games of the Year thread every year since 2004, and 2010 and 2011 were the only years that the big prize didn't go to a Sony or Nintendo exclusive.

Are you serious...? What was the last 360 exclusive that was considered for GOTY in ALL of the gaming media? Maybe Nintendo and Sony were the one's making games people considered GOTY worthy? Just using some common sense here.

The conspiracy theories in this thread are insane.

Mononoke

Banned
Pretty great list! The only one that I'm NOT that excited for is Destiny. Not for any reason or anything, I just haven't been hyped or hooked on it yet.

HeelPower

I'd like to share in the general optimism regarding Witcher 3 but I fear the franchise will go down the same path that The Elder Scrolls went from Morrowind to Oblivion: streamlining will be felt. Maybe I'm wrong. But even if it managed to combine the best bits of Witcher 2 and Bethesda rpgs like it aims to, I'd still rather have more of that 'same' you speak of.

you're being pessimistic. That could just as easily happen to dark souls.Heck Bamco wanted a cell phone DKS.

Mononoke

Banned
Not even if Elizabeth's in P5?

Lol talk about a typo! I meant to say the only one I'm NOT that excited for is Destiny. Basically, I like the entire list, but I'm not as hyped about Destiny as others are. Of course Persona 5 would be my personal #1 most anticipated. :D

breakfuss

Spill it then, oh wise one. Because right now you just look like a guy who's had his feelings hurt because his precious game is nowhere to be seen at the top of the list.

Ontopic: Persona 5, inFamous, Destiny and the Order are my picks. Good list.

In the very post you quote I said I didn't know what to be most excited for. It's was Bravely Default until I played the demo last week. Not sure about Infamous since I'm little gutted at their decision to reboot things.

;)

LMFAO, you're funny. I don't care one way or the other, but I find it hilarious that people try to downplay or dismiss it. It is what is, but let's not lie to ourselves. Simply my *opinion*, of course.

Zornack

LMFAO, you're funny. I don't care one way or the other, but I find it hilarious that people try to downplay or dismiss it. It is what is, but let's not lie to ourselves. Simply my *opinion*, of course.

I really don't see how 2 Playstation exclusives vs. 1 Xbox exclusives equals SonyGAF.

Amir0x

Banned

Is it really not possible that more people are vocally supportive of one system over another because that system simply has a more widespread appeal? Should a preference based on a system with more universality to its appeal not show up in lists like this one (although the list is pretty even, really)?

Basically what I'm saying is you are the one who knows what you like best, and that's all that matters. A natural preference for one system over another may naturally occur, and that's not something that is inherently negative. And it doesn't change or diminish your correctness in loving whatever system it is you love.

Neiteio

I didn't vote in this. Looking at the list, I'd agree with Dark Souls II and Super Smash Bros. Maybe Monolith Soft's X, but we don't know enough about it. MGSV also looks like it has promise, but the story is such a convoluted mess at this point. Hopefully they keep the story relatively non-intrusive, since the core gameplay (tactical stealth in an open world) looks really interesting.

Endo Punk

The only one I disagree with is Ground Zeroes. That game is going to be an hour of gameplay at most. Not worthy to be listed next to complete gameplay experiences.

Also, AAA gaming is here to stay.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The only one I disagree with is Ground Zeroes. That game is going to be an hour of gameplay at most. Not worthy to be listed next to complete gameplay experiences.

Also, AAA gaming is here to stay.

and you know this how?

breakfuss

I really don't see how 2 Playstation exclusives vs. 1 Xbox exclusives equals SonyGAF.

Well, my feelings aren't based solely on this list/thread. Secondly, I'm not saying the whole of GAF is partial to them. It could be any number of things (maybe one crowd is just substantially louder than the other).

sphinx

the piano man
one quick question though,

is it officially confirmed that Final Fantasy XV will not appear in 2014?

I was expecting it somewhere but it never appeared (or did I oversee it?)

Servbot24

Banned
Witcher 2 is sitting in my Steam backlog... haven't played it yet mainly because I'm worried how my iMac will handle it.

2.66 GHz Intel Core i5
12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

Milennia

one quick question though,

is it officially confirmed that Final Fantasy XV will not appear in 2014?

I was expecting it somewhere but it never appeared (or did I oversee it?)

Its not official, its just one of those "no way in hell" sort of things.

Good list! However, I must be the only one not feeling infamous at all. I thought the first two games were okay but still very flawed, and all I'm really seeing here is "sweet gfx yo" but hell, I'm hopeful as anyone else that it turns out to be fantastic because the PS4 could really use it.

Amir0x

Banned
Good list! However, I must be the only one not feeling infamous at all. I thought the first two games were okay but still very flawed, and all I'm really seeing here is "sweet gfx yo" but hell, I'm hopeful as anyone else that it turns out to be fantastic because the PS4 could really use it.

I really wasn't a big fan of the first two, but for some reason I want this game more. The motion around the city is far more fluid from what I've seen, and that's half the fun of these games imo. And the other thing I dig are the visuals. I hope it's fun too, but the series has always had a daft morality system (and that seems to be continuing) and some relatively bad mission design here and there. But I do think this inFamous game looks more appealing. The variety in the environment will be even greater given the size of the world and the surrounding areas you can go to.

Since graphics are a huge part of the reason I love games, the "sweet gfx yo" allure is undeniable for me though. So that is a big part of why I'm probably excited :p

-Setsuna-

I have to admit that I don't care for most of these games. In GAF's top 10, I'd only keep SmaBro, X and Persona 5.

Also, a bit sad to see Cranky Kong Tropical Freeze so low on this list, and that Child of Light, Mario Golf, The Walking Dead S2 and Thief are totally absent.

PS: Great job nonetheless, Shinobi.

Top Bottom