• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2014

Bayonetta 2 more anticipated than Mario Kart 8 stood out but then again, it's a prime example of neogaf being a small percentage of gamers.

It's kind of cool even though the game still won't sell well(I actually do see Nintendo oddly marketing Bayonetta 2 well unlike they did with The Wonderful 101).

Donkey Kong being that low isn't surprising but it's depressing, it still will be amongst the best games this year.

That's it's right there. NeoGAF is such a cesspool of SDF like behavior that exclusives from MS have no chance to shine in this Kaz Hirai fellating autonomy. Titanfall alone will outsell all of those shitty PS4 exclusives you mark my words.

Was Wynnebeck banned for this post? Because he was definitely being sarcastic.

My might most anticipated title is the same as the one Neogaf choosed, so I'm happy. I still have no idea at all why people did vote for The Order, none at all, but I'm still happy.

dudes up in here getting heated about fan polls of anticipated games

this can't be real life, my dude

shit aint so serious you gotta lose ya head like that

4 Wii U exclusives in the top 13 and 5 on the list. Nice.

Also close to half the list is original/new ips which is good to see. Honestly not much I'm super excited for but it looks like there's going to be a lot of good stuff overall next year.

And I really believe The Last Guardian is coming this year. It has to. It just has to. ...right?

Sacrimoni

Banned
My top 3 (in no particular order) are pillars of pillars of eternity, x, persona 5 although i will have to buy a wii u for x

also very interested in broken age and titanfall. they have reinvigorated my interest in adventure games and first person shooters

Hypron

That's actually a pretty good list. Far better than lots of lists I've read on videogame websites.

My top 2 is the same, although both games would be probably tied. I can't wait to play both of them. Dark Souls 2 because it's the sequel to my game of the gen and The Witcher 3 because it looks ground-breaking. If CDPR nails the combat it could be a complete masterpiece: I'm sure the dialogues/quest design will be good since they've more than proven they were capable of doing that well in TW1/2. The visuals are absolutely astounding, especially considering the scale of the game. So if the combat is good as well, the game will have everything: great story, good combat, great visuals (and hopefully great sound design as well).

aravuus

... although i will have to buy a wii u for x

Hah, same here. Even though Xenoblade was a pretty big disappointment after all the hype, it was still awesome, and X gets me very excited. 2014 is going to be one hell of a JRPG year.

Shame I forgot to vote. Would have given Persona 5 so many points.

No, but your ignorance on the effect a platform preference would have on a persons top ten anticipated list has you focusing on a single example of a broader point.

Not really, the lack of 3rd party support and multiple platform titles for Nintentdo makes that statement redundant.

I have come to terms with the list but it seems you are the one that cannot accept that fact that people are excited about games that are exclusive to platforms.

How about we drop this conversation. Right. Now.

Thank you. Such as asinine conversation.

Xenon

One last shot, huh^

dudes up in here getting heated about fan polls of anticipated games

this can't be real life, my dude

shit aint so serious you gotta lose ya head like that

I don't think it was that heated accept for one person. Besides, isn't bitching about top ten lists a normal thing. But I agree it was moving in a bad direction and sorry for my part in it.

Now, down to business. The Witcher at #1, Blech! Two was such an overrated game. After all the the praising the combat received, I was shocked how janky it was. While I do welcome some fresh blood in the open world, I think I'd put Dragon Age above it.

WolvenOne

I'm transitioning more towards quality, rather than quantity. So excluding low budget or Indie titles, if I've bought ten games in 2014, I've bought too much.

Still, here's the list of games I'm actively looking forward to.

Bravely Default: a classic Final Fantasy in everything but name? Yes please!

Dark Souls 2: I still need to beat the first game, but regardless, I'm counting the days till the second.

X, for the Wii U: Robots and Dinosaurs eff yeah!!

Destiny: while I don't see myself pouring as much time into this as I would an MMOs, I'm non the less intrigued.

Persona Q: Assuming it comes out this year, I'm all over that.

Final Fantasy 15: Again if it comes out in 2015, I'm all over that.

Transistor: I know I said I wasnt including Indies but this is an exception. XD

This list will probably both grow and shrink as the year goes on. I can easily see myself losing interest in Destiny, and if course new titles will be announced. Hopefully the list does not grow too large though. XD

breakfuss

Thank you. Such as asinine conversation.

His asking us to stop probably has less to do with the conversation being "asinine" and more to do with people not being able to handle it maturely. If I'm wrong, I apologize for the assumption. I just don't think the impression should be given that what we were saying was unworthy of discussion. If the number of people on platform A outnumber platform B, then obviously games associated with platform A will follow suit. At first glance I assumed this poll might be an editorial of sorts and not simply a measure of what people wanted to personally play. MY BAD.

Ippo

Banned
Is it bannable to say that neogaf has a bias or preference? I didn't see anything in ToS. I'm new here.

kase23

Good list, cool to see some of the kickstarter RPG's made it in b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶p̶r̶i̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶D̶r̶a̶g̶o̶n̶ ̶A̶g̶e̶ ̶3̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶h̶t̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶v̶o̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶p̶a̶t̶h̶y̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶t̶i̶t̶l̶e̶s̶.̶
crap, must have missed entry 17

nordique

For me, its Smash Bros, Bayo 2, X, and MGS GZ

Reasons: Smash is probably (since the N64 days) one of my favourite franchises ever. Its the only fighting game I have ever been able to pick up, play, and become engrossed in. I'm not a very technical gamer so games that are easily accessible that don't take hours and hours to understand of get good at, are my cup of tea. And I found relative to other fighting games with their traditional health bars and focus on 1 on 1 close quarters combat, Smash Bros' system and use of nostalgia was a fantastic combination

Bayo 2 - I loved the first game, and cannot wait for the second. That's really all there is to it. I used to feel God of War was my favourite fighting-action game franchise but now I am convinced its Bayo 2 and pretty much anything from Platinum is a game worth playing in my books.

X - I am not an RPG person, too slow and too long for my own personal tastes, but if there is some form of action element I can stand it. Xenoblade completely changed my mind on the genre though. And X looks to be a significant leap forward.

MGS GZ - I am a huge MGS fan and cannot wait for the next chapter. Love Kojima's games. If this was the full MGS V it would probably be my most anticipated of the year.

Xenon

Is it bannable to say that neogaf has a bias or preference? I didn't see anything in ToS. I'm new here.

You know, I am not sure. I hope not. But I think trying to dismiss someones opinion by labeling them a SDF or Xbox most certainly is.

KoopaTheCasual

That's it's right there. NeoGAF is such a cesspool of SDF like behavior that exclusives from MS have no chance to shine in this Kaz Hirai fellating autonomy. Titanfall alone will outsell all of those shitty PS4 exclusives you mark my words.
Aww, was he banned for this? He was being sarcastic. RIP in peace, homie
at least for a couple days

Ippo

Banned
You know, I am not sure. I hope not. But I think trying to dismiss someones opinion by labeling them a SDF or Xbox most certainly is.

so from the outside looking in there looks to be a preference for niche titles and ps4 exclusives here at neogaf. I think that would be a fair assessment going by that list.

Sendou

I just don't get the hype for Destiny at all. It looks boring.

I'm not hyped for it myself but I can see where people are coming from. Bungie has made some quality games.

If they'll announce a PC version that's the day I can consider myself hyped for the game.

KoopaTheCasual

so from the outside looking in there looks to be a preference for niche titles and ps4 exclusives here at neogaf. I think that would be a fair assessment going by that list.
Well, yes that's certainly what GAF's list implies. The trouble is, people are trying to use that as proof that NeoGAF only likes said games because they're on Sony's platform, which there is no evidence of. It's made funnier by the fact that there's more Nintendo exclusives in the top 20, than Sony exclusives.

Eusis

I think a lot of it has to do with tone, context, and your exact wording. I can't imagine it being banworthy if you're just making the observation that the PS4 exclusives have more excitement (seemingly) than the Xbox exclusives, it's another if you blow your lid over that fact and start spewing garbage out.

Kind of surprised Witcher 3 got up there! Heck, most of that top ten list are either games I put down, games I didn't put down only because I'm not optimistic about seeing here in 2014 (the only reason there's ANY hope for Persona 5 is that Atlus can be really on the ball with their biggest games, and I still expect early 2015 for that), or games I do want to play but just wasn't THAT excited to put down (Destiny looks like Bungie's take on Borderlands and that's interesting enough to me.) Would kind of want to see a complete list though if possible, just to know where games like Trails in the Sky SC ultimately ranked.

I just don't get the hype for Destiny at all. It looks boring.
Bungie has some of the best first person shooter heritage around. New IP they've been working on for 4+ years with customization, exploration, co-op, loot, PvP, etc? What's not to love?

ohlawd

Good list. I didn't even vote but it's not like it would have made a difference.

Really nice to see X in the top 10. Bayonetta 2 got robbed tho. I wanna be hyped about The Witcher 3 but I don't got a rig that can run it. Soon guys, soon.

Eusis

Good list. I didn't even vote but it's not like it would have made a difference.

Really nice to see X in the top 10. Bayonetta 2 got robbed tho. I wanna be hyped about The Witcher 3 but I don't got a rig that can run it. Soon guys, soon.
If it's any consolation I doubt this will be a mirror of a "best of list" even when factoring out delays/surprise games: some of these games we're more excited to get, but may not ENJOY most and may even know this. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up enjoying Bayonetta 2 more than half the games on my list, but it's not one I'm really chomping to play for whatever reason or have a particularly inclination to want to get sooner than later. Nevermind that some games just end up disappointing, I imagine Dragon Age Inquisition COULD have been way higher had it not been for DAII being such a massive disappointment, nevermind that even in a best case scenario I think some of us are just tired of or put off by Bioware and would rather go to something like the Witcher III for our story driven WRPG fix.

Eusis

It sounds cool on paper, but I remember the e3 demo looking really boring.
I never put much weight on that stuff, the only way I've known for sure in many cases have been through playing for myself.

Then again I tend to favor RPGs, and especially turn based ones kind of require getting into and understanding the systems and balance that may not be readily obvious from a trailer.

Amir0x

Banned
The first initial reveal for Destiny left me a bit skeptical, but since then, reading up on everything and some of the recent clips, it's starting to rapidly grow on my list. I was getting bored of Halo, so Bungie decided to move on right when I was ready as well, so, I am excited to know what they do with this new lore and game direction.

I'm not sure it'd make a top ten list yet for me in terms of anticipation, but it's in my top 20 now I think.

Xenon

It sounds cool on paper, but I remember the e3 demo looking really boring.

I think character progression and loot are going to be a huge factor in how well this game does. Those things never come across well in trailers.

My biggest problem with Destiny and Titan Fall as well is that my gaming habits don't mix well with multilayer. I play sporadically and usually pause often, sometimes for hours.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah, I'm still mixed on Destiny. I'm looking forward to it cos I like Bungie and it sounds like a great vision and you can bet Activision will pony up the cash for it but they've still not shown it off well enough (or made it playable actually) to get a great sense of what the game actually plays like.

good list

P5 being there on only announcement alone shows how much people love the series here.... of course it is an anticipation list as in most exited about and want to learn more of

I'm sure if you made a respectful constructive post that would be okay but if you start trolling users/GAF and being disrespectful you will probably get flamed hard and banned quickly.

Melchiah

Surprised that Witcher 3 is on the top, eventhough I voted for it, and Titanfall is behind games like Destiny, Infamous, and The Order 1886. Unsurprisingly, my interests deviate from the majority, as many of the independent horror games I listed didn't end up on the top 30.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

There are a couple really general rules for constructive posting on the boards.

A) Does my post start a new discussion or add value to an existing one?

B) If I expect my post to inflame or upset people, have I acted in good faith by representing my perspective genuinely and honestly with appropriate supporting evidence and perspective?

It is really challenging to ascribe a uniform viewpoint or consensus to a community with over 120,000 members. Generally, it is used to dismiss some chaos we don't feel like dealing with in our imposed order of the world. There's a lot of evidence to suggest all sorts of bias, but naturally we filter out what we don't want to internalize. So the behavior itself isn't bannable, but we're just going to be upfront and say it is pretty hard to talk about "NeoGAF bias" without really sounding like a callous asshole.

AniHawk

wow, there are actually more japanese games in the top 10 than there are european games or american games.

i get the feeling ground zeroes will be all right, but the phantom pain will top the list for 2015 (...or 2016).

wow, there are actually more japanese games in the top 10 than there are european games or american games.

i get the feeling ground zeroes will be all right, but the phantom pain will top the list for 2015 (...or 2016).
MGSV would be much higher if the Phantom Pain was actually coming out this year.

That is a very GAF fetishized list.

Lots of RPGs, lots of WiiU, lots of Japanese games . . . I suspect that the real game sales volume will be very different than that list.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Lots of RPGs, lots of WiiU, lots of Japanese games . . . I suspect that the real game sales volume will be very different than that list.

You mean the members of an enthusiast forum have different priorities than the general, more casual public?

FluxWaveZ

I think this is the second time you've posted this exact comment in this thread.

My question: who gives a shit about the sales? Big surprise: a NeoGAF list formed by NeoGAF members represents NeoGAF.

Top Bottom