• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2014

Amir0x

Banned
I have to admit that I don't care for most of these games. In GAF's top 10, I'd only keep SmaBro, X and Persona 5.

Also, a bit sad to see Cranky Kong Tropical Freeze so low on this list, and that Child of Light, Mario Golf, The Walking Dead S2 and Thief are totally absent.

PS: Great job nonetheless, Shinobi.

I really hope Valiant Hearts gets more love as the year goes on too. So few compelling games on World War I, and this finally looks to be giving the concept a real unique approach on the subject (as far as games are concerned). Child of Light and Valiant Hearts are both made with the UbiArt engine or whatever it's called, so it's no surprise they're both gorgeous :D

AHA-Lambda

Good list! However, I must be the only one not feeling infamous at all. I thought the first two games were okay but still very flawed, and all I'm really seeing here is "sweet gfx yo" but hell, I'm hopeful as anyone else that it turns out to be fantastic because the PS4 could really use it.

Nah, I'm the same, just not interested in it. I've only played the first infamous game but I hated it.

I cannot believe how popular Persona series has become. From being a niche jrpg to one of the most anticipated release in 2014, despite being on a last gen console and having loads of AAA blockbusters coming next year.

You did good GAF, you did good.

Amir0x

Banned
Nah, I'm the same, just not interested in it. I've only played the first infamous game but I hated it.

The one thing I really did love about the first inFamous game was the few unique huge platforming parts... the huge garbage tower and the prison, for example. These things were amazingly fun to traverse, and could provide legitimately amazing in-game experiences. But the sequel quickly eliminated any focus whatsoever on compelling platforming, and started to make the city more 'grounded' relatively speaking. These bold and daring structures that would be so foreign if they existed in the real world simply vanished altogether, and I think that part of the charm of the series left then.

I think if they would have used that nugget and expanded the series around that, it would have been a greater franchise. Still, though, I did have fun with exploiting my powers in InFamous 2, and the power set and movement in Second Son look way better to my eyes. So I am a little excited to try it out, when you add its amazing visuals to the mix.

I really wasn't a big fan of the first two, but for some reason I want this game more. The motion around the city is far more fluid from what I've seen, and that's half the fun of these games imo. And the other thing I dig are the visuals. I hope it's fun too, but the series has always had a daft morality system (and that seems to be continuing) and some relatively bad mission design here and there. But I do think this inFamous game looks more appealing. The variety in the environment will be even greater given the size of the world and the surrounding areas you can go to.

Since graphics are a huge part of the reason I love games, the "sweet gfx yo" allure is undeniable for me though. So that is a big part of why I'm probably excited :p

No doubt. It looks good. I hope it's good. But if I'm just going by the first two games in terms of quality speculation, I'm not exactly thrilled beyond belief for it to come out. With a new protagonist and story and hopefully better game design this one could be the one for me.

It does have really sweet gfx though yos

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
witcher 3 deserves it i mean look at this
UnrealisticComplexGrunion.gif

Damn.

breakfuss

Is it really not possible that more people are vocally supportive of one system over another because that system simply has a more widespread appeal? Should a preference based on a system with more universality to its appeal not show up in lists like this one (although the list is pretty even, really)?

Basically what I'm saying is you are the one who knows what you like best, and that's all that matters. A natural preference for one system over another may naturally occur, and that's not something that is inherently negative. And it doesn't change or diminish your correctness in loving whatever system it is you love.

Fair enough, though "mass appeal" is debatable. Like I said, I'm indifferent. If more people here prefer Sony, so be it. I just don't understand why we need to operate under the guise of all being equal. I suspect that if Titanfall had been multiplat or on PS4, it'd be higher up and perhaps above inFamous. I guess it's silly of me to expect people to vote for a game on a platform they don't own, though.

Lunar15

I'd say Persona 5, but I just feel like there's absolutely no way we're getting that in the west in 2014.

Witcher 3 is absolutely my most anticipated game.

Amir0x

Banned
Fair enough, though "mass appeal" is debatable. Like I said, I'm indifferent. If more people here prefer Sony, so be it. I just don't understand why we need to operate under the guise of all being equal. I suspect that if Titanfall had been multiplat or on PS4, it'd certainly be higher up and perhaps above inFamous. I guess it's silly of me to expect people to vote for a game on a platform they don't own, though.

I meant more that it's as simple as price and the hardware power difference. If the price were equal, many might indeed choose the XBO at a faster rate, simply because the launch games were spread more across the spectrum and thus had wider appeal almost by definition I'd say. I don't think it is anything beyond that, so in other words it's probably not constructive to view the entire community cynically like when people say "SonyGAF."

Anyway, it's no big deal, just pointing out that the systems both have great games, so like what you love :D

Xenon

I meant more that it's as simple as price and the hardware power difference. If the price were equal, many might indeed choose the XBO at a faster rate, simply because the launch games were spread more across the spectrum and thus had wider appeal almost by definition I'd say. I don't think it is anything beyond that, so in other words it's probably not constructive to view the entire community cynically like when people say "SonyGAF."

It's also not realistic to ignore an obvious majority preference here for Sony. Once the games come out I think the sales will tell which of the titles have more mass appeal.

One thing I would like to add. I never even saw the feeder thread for this top ten until it was too late, 20 minutes too late. It should have been stickied.

N.Domixis

Banned
It's also not realistic to ignore an obvious majority preference here for Sony. Once the games come out I think the sales will tell which of the titles have more mass appeal.

One thing I would like to add. I never even saw the feeder thread for this top ten until it was too late, 20 minutes too late. It should have been stickied.
Looks like some fans of the box only care about how much their Titan sells.

Xenon

Looks like some fans of the box only care about how much their Titan sells.
I am not even that hyped for Titan Fall. But, one game has received nothing but praise from people who have played it. The other has people oohing and aahing over it's graphics. Lets not forget what happened with Killzone: Shadowfall. But I regress... I was just pointing out that dismissing an obvious preference this for Sony is not realistic. Persona 5 and The Order...really.

I am not even that hyped for Titan Fall. But, one game has received nothing but praise from people who have played it. The other has people oohing and aahing over it's graphics. Lets not forget what happened with Killzone: Shadowfall. But I regress... I was just pointing out that dismissing an obvious preference this for Sony is not realistic. Persona 5 and The Order...really.

The Order is even on Game Trailers list. As far as Persona 5 goes, if you follow that series you know the anticipation for it has nothing to do with it being a Sony exclusive. It's just an extremely popular RPG series on this forum now, and pretty popular overall. At least enough to create a number of spinoffs just on Persona 4 alone.

Majmun

Great work with the OP, Shinobi. It's a pretty decent list, too. The Witcher 3 makes me want to play the original game and the second one. Haven't played those yet.

I hope those games will somehow be ported over to the Ps4.

Persona 3 and 4 are some of the greatest jrpgs these days and there is a growing fanbase for the franchise. Its not surprise to see it be anticipated. Also The Order 1886 seems to interest people due to the scenario and characters and also graphics.

It seems that due to your ignorance on why people are anticipating these releases you come to ridiculous conclusions.

Salex_

Persona 3 and 4 are some of the greatest jrpgs these days and there is a growing fanbase for the franchise. Its not surprise to see it be anticipated. Also The Order 1886 seems to interest people due to the scenario and characters and also graphics.

It seems that due to your ignorance on why people are anticipating these releases you come to ridiculous conclusions.

Impossible! a few PS4 exclusives and 1 Xbone exclusive on the list obviously means this is the result of "SonyGAF"! It can't be that people like what they saw and know about those games so far. Halo MUST be top 5 even though Halo 4 had a lot of negative responses from fans and the only thing we know about the game is a CGI trailer revealing the character in the desert.

dorkimoe

nice smash should of ranked higher :p also lol yep watch_dogs keep on losing hype also frankly I don't get the hype about Destiny ..looks like a better halo >.> so ..prettier halo with loot.
hmm how come I don't see FF XV or was that game against the rules of the pole

witcher 3 deserves it i mean look at this
UnrealisticComplexGrunion.gif

I dream of the next Zelda looking like this
if only the witcher games had a similar combat system like zelda =/

holy shit.
if only the gameplay was easier for me, i tried witcher 2 and it was just too much

Xenon

The Order is even on Game Trailers list. As far as Persona 5 goes, if you follow that series you know the anticipation for it has nothing to do with it being a Sony exclusive. It's just an extremely popular RPG series on this forum now, and pretty popular overall. At least enough to create a number of spinoffs just on Persona 4 alone.

It's a list of personal preference. I am not arguing peoples choices. It just has a disproportional number of PS4 exclusives compared to other lists. It's just that simple.

It's a list of personal preference. I am not arguing peoples choices. It just has a disproportional number of PS4 exclusives compared to other lists. It's just that simple.
I guess it also has a disproportionial amount of Nintendo exclusives too right?

Solid list. No Quantum Break makes me sad, tho. We don't get new Remedy games that often and this one seems to be doing a lot of new stuff. Usually I couldn't care less about the TV show aspect of something like this - but coming from the pen of Sam Lake, I feel obligated to give it a shot. Mostly I'm excited to see how they expand on their classic Max Payne gameplay.

Xenon

No, but your ignorance on the effect a platform preference would have on a persons top ten anticipated list has you focusing on a single example of a broader point.

I guess it also has a disproportionial amount of Nintendo exclusives too right?

Not really, the lack of 3rd party support and multiple platform titles for Nintentdo makes that statement redundant.

Solid list. No Quantum Break makes me sad, tho. We don't get new Remedy games that often and this one seems to be doing a lot of new stuff. Usually I couldn't care less about the TV show aspect of something like this - but coming from the pen of Sam Lake, I feel obligated to give it a shot. Mostly I'm excited to see how they expand on their classic Max Payne gameplay.
Well, Quantum Break wasn't eligible to vote as it hasn't been confirmed for this year yet.

AHA-Lambda

Kojima. He has really deflated all hype for GZ. He explains that the game is a tutorial for Phantom Pain and how it's 100 times smaller in comparison. GZ should have been a demo with LOS2.

Yeah, I mean we don't know specifics at this point but it's pretty obvious by now that GZ is basically the Tanker mission as a £20-30 priced release. Bloody shameful.

DrZeus

Great list GAF! Definitely think this year has a chance to be spectacular
barring any bombas
. Gaming's new Golden Age I tells ya!

Well, you've got a top 30 list here while most lists are top 10 only. If you look at Game Trailers list you'll see the exact same two PS4 exclusives sitting in their top 10 as well. Also, there are four Wii U exclusives on the list along with four PS4 exclusives. I'm talking about games actually exclusive to the platforms. So, it doesn't seem to lean toward the PS4 as you're suggesting.

Wynnebeck

Banned

That's it's right there. NeoGAF is such a cesspool of SDF like behavior that exclusives from MS have no chance to shine in this Kaz Hirai fellating autonomy. Titanfall alone will outsell all of those shitty PS4 exclusives you mark my words.

cj_iwakura

That's it's right there. NeoGAF is such a cesspool of SDF like behavior that exclusives from MS have no chance to shine in this Kaz Hirai fellating autonomy. Titanfall alone will outsell all of those shitty PS4 exclusives you mark my words.

All... two of them?

Xenon

I got banned for doing that before... but whatever. I guess it's hard for some people to accept the majority of the forum has a preference.

All... two of them?

It's three Infamous, Order, Persona. Hell I would even argue Destiny's ranking has everything to do with Bungie focusing on the PS4.

X and Smash are my most anticipated so glad to see them in the top ten. Also cool to see see Drakengard 3. A little surprised to see no Lily Bergamo, but we only got a teaser. I wonder if Suda 51's stock has fallen with his last few titles as he has with me.

KoopaTheCasual

I got banned for doing that before... but whatever. I guess it's hard for some people to accept the majority of the forum has a preference.

I guess it's hard for you to accept that Sony and Nintendo have more exclusives slated for 2014 that actually have information out. *shrugs*

It's three Infamous, Order, Persona. Hell I would even argue Destiny's ranking has everything to do with Bungie focusing on the PS4.
What percentage does Bungies pedigree have to do with their ranking? Relative to co-marketing with a console.

Salex_

I don't understand what you're arguing. What Xbox One games should be in the top 10 most anticipated games of 2014? If you think the only reason why Persona 5, inFamous, and The Order are there because "SonyGAF", I don't know what to tell you.

SykoTech

NTlLE9H.png

Man, I love this picture. It's like a superhero version of Journey.

Nice job with this, shinobi. Though I wonder how it would look if all the ballots would have been properly cast.

Regardless, good list. Definitely better than the Gametrailers one. No doubt about that.

Xenon

I don't understand what you're arguing. What Xbox One games should be in the top 10 most anticipated games of 2014? If you think the reason why Persona 5, inFamous, and The Order are there because "SonyGAF", I don't know what to tell you.

When did I say it should be Xbox titles? If I had to pick I would say Halo but the ip has took a beating here since 4. So I understand.

breakfuss

I don't understand what you're arguing. What Xbox One games should be in the top 10 most anticipated games of 2014? If you think the only reason why Persona 5, inFamous, and The Order are there because "SonyGAF", I don't know what to tell you.

I think you're misinterpreting. No one is suggesting these games are popular because they're Sony exclusives. They just happen to be on a platform that, at the moment, GAF appears to overwhelmingly prefer. If each of these games were multiplat the results would have been wildly different.

aravuus

I have to say I didn't expect a top ten list of most anticipated games to turn into a SonyGAF conspiracy bullshit discussion, especially when there's only 2 titles there. Jesus Christ some people.

I have to say I didn't expect a top ten list of most anticipated games to turn into a SonyGAF conspiracy bullshit discussion, especially when there's only 2 titles there. Jesus Christ some people.
I didn't either, to think just anticipating certain titles can ruffle feathers for some.

breakfuss

Nothing conspiratorial about this. It's plain as day. And, honestly, I'm only talking about Titanfall. That it barely cracked the top 10 and was bested by InFamous & Persona? I mean, come on. I don't know why you guys are seeing it as a negative thing.

Salex_

I think you're misinterpreting. No one is suggesting these games are popular because they're Sony exclusives. They just happen to be on a platform that, at the moment, GAF appears to overwhelmingly prefer. If each of these games were multiplat the results would have been wildly different.

But how can you come to that conclusion? Persona is extremely popular among JRPG fans , why would being multiplat change that? If The Order was multiplat I don't see why it suddenly wouldn't be on the list. There's nothing to support these ridiculous theories.

Top Bottom