• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metal Gear Solid V previews coming 6/9 (no story info though)

Yeah. Agreed. I dunno I used to be hyped but all these recent shenanigans have really turned the dial down and I think MGS works better being a more linear and stealth driven design like the original. The open world stuff feels like it's just a response to other popular open world things.

That being said I think it will be good, but with previous games my hype couldn't be controlled. With this one Im just waiting to get it used and I'm not really feeling anxious about it coming out.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
dat main menu

CE0bAn0UsAEpbN8.jpg:large

Bunch of robot arms in that place.

Yeah. Agreed. I dunno I used to be hyped but all these recent shenanigans have really turned the dial down and I think MGS works better being a more linear and stealth driven design like the original. The open world stuff feels like it's just a response to other popular open world things.

That being said I think it will be good, but with previous games my hype couldn't be controlled. With this one Im just waiting to get it used and I'm not really feeling anxious about it coming out.

If GZ didn't exist, I would've been concerned too, but GZ pretty much blew away any scepticism I could have on MGS going open-world.

GZ was the proof-of-concept for me that Kojima wasn't just doing open-world for the sake of it, but can actually craft a tight mission narrative within a large area.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
So, yeah. Konami's currently holding a press event in LA where journalists are playing the latest Metal Gear Solid V build.

Embargo date for campaign stuff will be lifted on 6/9. MGO stuff will go up on 6/16.

For now, no one's allowed to talk about story details or anything like that.

I'm currently 8 hours in and have barely scratched the surface in Afghanistan in terms of collectibles, side missions and optional objectives. It's insane.

Game's looking good, and some of the missions are especially ingenious. I had some trouble getting through one recently where I had to use C4, grenade launchers and rockets to take out a tank convoy while dozens of enemies tried to flank me from a village on top of a mountain. And they're way more ruthless and able than the ones in previous games (probably due to the open-world thing).

I may be able to answer some questions later, so feel free to ask non-story-related ones.

As a Metal Gear fan, I'm more hyped than ever.

Oh, and DD the dog is the cutest freaking thing ever.

I know you said dont ask story questions however this is broad, from your experience with the game so far, how does the story compare to other mgs games (ex. is it good?)

Mr. RHC

Please tell me they did a mission cap, let's say after 30% of the missions the demonstration is over.

Otherwise this will be a spoiler minefield.

GZ proved that an open world system can work. In fact, it forces players to be more stealthy because they have less control. You aren't confined to a singular zone, and you actively have to use your own form of spatial awareness.

It's rough and raw, just as it should be. You either adapt or you get merked, and it's an evolution of the genre that should happen.

cackhyena

Hearing that they round it off in chapters like that makes me happy. Keeping it bite sized (if that term can even be applied hearing how massive these open world hubs are) is exactly what kept me coming back to GZ time and again.

Hearing that they round it off in chapters like that makes me happy. Keeping it bite sized (if that term can even be applied hearing how massive these open world hubs are) is exactly what kept me coming back to GZ time and again.

It's amazing how replayable GZ was.

NYR94

How long did it take you to complete the shortest mission you've played?

How long did it take you to complete the longest mission you've played?

Do you feel that there's a good variety in mission objectives? Meaning Boss is tasked with doing different things rather than merely "sneak from point A to point B while tranqing soldiers along the way."

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, completion percentage numbers are easy to fudge.

Ground Zeroes is practically a case study on that fact.

He's not even out of the first chapter yet, tho. Taking PW's story structure into account, he's probably less than 1/5th in.

Slowdive

Banned
@caleblawson 5m
7 hours put me only 10 episodes into Chapter 1 of MGSV while forcing myself to basically ignore Mother Base. So much to do.

@caleblawson 8m
Played about 7 hours of MGSV yesterday and it feels like the giant, open map Peace Walker sequel we've been promised.

Then again, they could go the Square Enix FF-type-0 route and spoil the game through trailers for the western audience.

I ended up never watching a Type-0 trailer because Kagari would post early in the trailer threads warning people that the newest trailer included big spoilers again.

Menthuss

Welp, guess it's time to start avoiding every Metal Gear-related threads until TPP releases. Don't want to run the risk of getting spoiled.

NYR94

Derrik J. Lang @derrikjlang
I spent yesterday playing #MGSV and marveled at the little details, like overhearing Kim Wilde's #KidsInAmerica on a boom box. #MGSVPreview

Kojima and his pop music.

Top Bottom