• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

Biker19

Banned
Wtf. What your saying goes completely against economy theory but ok.

Nah, bro. I'm just trying to explain to someone that sales parity doesn't exactly equal great competition & that consumers shouldn't buy a unappealing product just to feel sorry for a company that's struggling in comparison to other competitors that are doing better than them.

That's not the way how it goes or how it works.

mdubs

Banned
Nah, bro. I'm just trying to explain to someone that sales parity doesn't exactly equal great competition & that consumers shouldn't buy a unappealing product just to feel sorry for a company that's struggling in comparison to other competitors that are doing better than them.

That's not the way how it goes or how it works.

I don't understand where I said that consumers should buy Microsoft products because they feel sorry for them and to keep Sony humble. That's obviously not what should be happening.

What I said was I hope Sony feels pressured by potentially not being the sales leader in a month and sees it as a chance to make some changes. If that's not the way they will respond based on economic theory, fine I'm wrong then, whatever. But I do hope Sony does want to do better regardless of whether they are selling the most or not , I hope each manufacturer wants to produce to best product ecosystem possible.

Nah, bro. I'm just trying to explain to someone that sales parity doesn't exactly equal great competition & that consumers shouldn't buy a unappealing product just to feel sorry for one company that's struggling in comparison to other competitors that are doing better than them.

That's not the way how it goes.
You have to remember that whenever Microsoft is involved in the topic, then the Microsoft brand of "competition" seems to seep as if that also applies. i.e. Microsoft was monopolizing the home desktop OS and browser world and smaller companies with smaller marketshare had to "catch up" to keep Microsoft on their toes and force them to innovate. Apparently the small guy "catching up" is the only way the leading company will innovate according to that paradigm, but in the larger world of business that isn't always the case.

tuna_love

Banned
I don't understand where I said that consumers should buy Microsoft products because they feel sorry for them and to keep Sony humble. That's obviously not what should be happening.

What I said was I hope Sony feels pressured by potentially not being the sales leader in a month and sees it as a chance to make some changes. If that's not the way they will respond based on economic theory, fine I'm wrong then, whatever. But I do hope Sony does want to do better regardless of whether they are selling the most or not , I hope each manufacturer wants to produce to best product ecosystem possible.
I think I understand what you're saying bro

m@cross

Unless you have a monopoly by buying an exclusive license, for say a sports game, and then just mail it in each year.....

ComputerBlue

Gold Member
If by some miracle Pachter is correct, what does this say about the value of those exclusive co-marketing deals?

Just as equally what does it say about the Sony deals, Destiny most importantly.

To someone like me who follows gaming regularly they seem pointless, but to an outsider who buys a few games or a year and consoles based off of advertisements or word of mouth, it might make a world of difference. I've never been one of those people though, so I can't say. I've always followed gaming.

dude819

I completely believe Pachter and would be shocked if the Xbox One lost a single month the rest of 2014 (in the US - they have no prayer world wide).

There are simply no exclusives, no price difference and no feature advantages until February and that is iffy with The Order.

Do you buy Sharp tvs as well as Samsungs to keep them on their toes?
Do you buy AMD cards as well as Nvidia cards to keep them humble?
Do you buy Mazdas/Hondas/Mitsubishis/etc to give each other competition?
Do you buy an iphone as well as an Android just so that Google doesn't get cocky?

If you espouse sales parity as a means of competition, then you must be buying every brand of product you use then.

I think some people are taking y2kev's post out of context. I agree we don't need sales parity, why would we need that? What we do want is competition otherwise you run the risk of a monopoly.

Every one of your examples above has some form of competition. Why would anyone buy a AMD card and a Nvidia card for one computer? However because competition exists prices will benefit consumers more. They will also feed off the other in pushing hardware. Does anyone really think the PS4 would be what it is without competition? It doesn't matter where it comes from but right now the main competition to the PS4 is the XBOX One or the PC, not Nintendo.

I completely believe Pachter and would be shocked if the Xbox One lost a single month the rest of 2014 (in the US - they have no prayer world wide).

There are simply no exclusives, no price difference and no feature advantages until February and that is iffy with The Order.
Get a load of this guy.

Pre-launch 2013 level of predictions right here.

m@cross

Hi Pachter

Bloodborne.

oSoLucky

Maybe in a world where people only bought consoles for exclusives. Turns out that their importance outside of a few big franchises is way overblown.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Do you buy an iphone as well as an Android just so that Google doesn't get cocky?

If you espouse sales parity as a means of competition, then you must be buying every brand of product you use then.

oh god please stop.

I don't see the /sarcasm in your post.

Patcher couldn't have been more wrong . I mean September of all months !

How can you be an "expert analyst" and be this disconnected from the industry? strange

Chris1

This guy is crazy. While I don't think PS4 is going to be as far ahead as most here think, there's no way MS is going to outsell PS4.

Kinda hope he is right though... The meltdown would be glorious and would be amusing seeing MS shout numbers from the rooftops after tapdancing around it the past few month

N.Domixis

Banned
Sunset Overdrive and Halo are going to do big numbers.

I wish I could afford his well tailored suits.

If this was Japan, you would maybe have a point.
Oh-You-Make-Me-Cry-Laughing-Meme-Rage-Face-.png

you can't be serious.

What is his success rate?

Here are some of his results for monthly NPD sales predictions relative to gaffers

For anyone curious about Pachter's usual track record, here's how his predictions have placed amongst gaffers own predictions within our own monthly prediction threads [lower placements is obviously better]

February 2014: > 50th, off by 377,500 units [101st by units]
June 2014: 16th, 170,000 units off
July 2014: > 50th, 94,800 units off [110th by units]
August 2014: 23rd. 39,400 units off

His predictions for a month are not always made clear thus I just provided the ones I could find

pixlexic

Banned

this is so wrong.

Its simple. Sharp tries to sell more tvs than samsung. samsung tries to sell more tvs than sharp .. to do so they both fight for the consumer by offering more incentives and better prices than their competition.

i herd from a friend of a co-workers husband who works at gamestop had a few people coming to buy PS4s but then when he told them the xb1 has had like five os updates in the time that the ps4 has had zero firmware updates they got real mad stormed out then walked right back in and bought xbones. phil spencer effect

If I know anything it's that people love software updates.

I personally witnessed a friend telling me that no less then six people returned their white ps4 destiny bundles and picked up an Xbox when they heard that the Xbox DLNA update was coming in October.

lol these 3 posts are pure gold

It's funny some people are hoping this is true as they will believe it will make Sony "compete" As if they aren't doing that right now.

Sony isn't the one battling from behind. While bundles are a great value to the consumer Sony doesn't have to use them in order to sell their system because their system is selling fine on its own.

I'll give XB1 credit. It delivered on the exclusives THIS year. But early next year for the PS4 you're getting Ratchet, Bloodborne and The Order within the first 3 months.

Sony is even hosting an event in December to talk about games that we'll see in 2015. I'm sure they'll announce 1 or 2 new games as well. They are very much competing.

agreed. Sony is not resting on their laurels at all. they could announce a $100 price drop tomorrow and those individuals would still be saying they're not competing

Even if NPDs come back with PS4 on top, he could still be right since NPDs probably don't track carnival hardware sales.

lol

The Age of Sony is over

how many times does the age of Sony have to be over lol

Salex_

Even if they dominate in the console market, there's still so many other factors and benefits to improving their value proposal.

PC, smartphones, and other living room products are things to worry about.

Selling more consoles = more PS+ subscribers = more $$$
Selling more consoles = more developers/games = more games sold = more $$$ from fees
etc.

Krakn3Dfx

I personally witnessed a friend telling me that no less then six people returned their white ps4 destiny bundles and picked up an Xbox when they heard that the Xbox DLNA update was coming in October.

Wait, you witnessed a friend...

oh, this is a joke post, right.

Top Bottom