• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade Report on KOF 13: "casual sexism", "cringe-inducing racial imagery"

The problem here is not that it's wrong to criticize a game as racist and/or sexist; it's that his criticisms here are weak, and it reads as though he didn't spend much time playing the game or getting into the mechanics, so he went down a feature list for two paragraphs and filled the rest of the space with controversy bait.

Certain things about KOF13 seem a bit weird from a racial/sexual perspective, but no more so than many other fighting games, and quite a bit less so than some.

Incidentally, King's clothing becomes ripped to show a bra for tradition's sake; the character's original appearance in Art of Fighting had the character design as slightly more androgynous, and the shirt ripping acted as an end-of-match reveal that the character you had been fighting was female the whole time.

Pretty much. This article is the most blatant example of clickbait I have seen in ages, and it helps nobody.

Arklite

Despite the fact that women make up 30% of the game's cast and are clearly just as capable

Why would sexist designers allow that to be true? If all the characters were just Mai I could see them having some ammo, but KoF has the least of these issues.

Cels

labeling it penny arcade vs penny arcade report is not a big deal, but it should be done.

the good thing is at least when you go to the site to read the article, you can see the author is andrew groen, not tycho or gabe, eliminating any possible confusion there.

pizza dog

Banned
Never said it was. I just think it's silly to present this as something that's shocking or unusual.

Article doesn't even present it as shocking.

While King of Fighters XIII carries the torch for the fighting game genre's worst reputations, it also carries on its finest traditions. This is a game that has thousands of hours of gameplay locked inside its complex systems if you care to dedicate yourself to finding it.

Whether you can get past the game's rampant insensitivity to find the wonderful game inside depends entirely on your own values.

Tone throughout is more exasperation and disappointment. I don't think it really articulates anything very well, but it's not fire-and-pitchforks.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It seems to be a more serious article on something like this would have been a far more open platform asking "are fighting games' tradition of ethnic and cultural stereotypes still okay today?"

Rather than act as if this KOF XIII game suddenly came out of nowhere with an inexplicable agenda to offend everyone.

It seems to be a more serious article on something like this would have been a far more open platform asking "are fighting games' tradition of ethnic and cultural stereotypes still okay today?"

Rather than act as if this KOF XIII game suddenly came out of nowhere with an inexplicable agenda to offend everyone.

Does raise the question of why pick on King of Fighters when, Mai aside, it's one of the better fighting games for not having oversexualised females.

galvatron

So, wasn't Penny Arcade Report supposed to provide a source of objective journalism? If the author had done his research (or talked to one of his bosses who is a long time Neo Geo owner), he'd know that the sexism he's talking about is all tangled up in those "fighting game traditions" he mentions. Mai's boobs have been bouncing and King's shirt has been disintegrating on KO going on 20 years now. Where's the line to be drawn between honoring tradition and being PC? It's an interesting discussion if a bit of an odd game to spur it...KoF '13 isn't exactly new or setting the world on fire with its popularity.

I can't say whether this is par for the course on PAR, but it definitely makes me think that the people sparking such conversations don't have the background knowledge to be qualified to carry on said discussions.

A.E Suggs

I remember reading this before. Yeah, this is pretty bad.

I got no problems with Mai though so call me a hypocrite. Ha.

They could have avoided this problem by making all art of fighting characters damage their clothing on K.O and not just king and yuri. In AoF2 at least everyone took clothing damage during the fight and after the fight depending on the special move you got hit by.

Edit: Bah! What Htown said.

LordJim

So, wasn't Penny Arcade Report supposed to provide a source of objective journalism? If the author had done his research (or talked to one of his bosses who is a long time Neo Geo owner), he'd know that the sexism he's talking about is all tangled up in those "fighting game traditions" he mentions. Mai's boobs have been bouncing and King's shirt has been disintegrating on KO going on 20 years now. Where's the line to be drawn between honoring tradition and being PC? It's an interesting discussion if a bit of an odd game to spur it...KoF '13 isn't exactly new or setting the world on fire with its popularity.

I can't say whether this is par for the course on PAR, but it definitely makes me think that the people sparking such conversations don't have the background knowledge to be qualified to carry on said discussions.

To be fair, last time King's clothes ripped was in KoF 95, IIRC.
The article is still mostly garbage

PBY

Banned

Tradition should go out the window if something is wrong, no? Society progresses, re-evaluating constantly, and improving. "it's the way it's always been" shouldn't be an excuse IMHO.

TGMIII

It's amazing how you can "review" a game without actually explaining the systems mechanics on even a basic level. People get paid for this shit.

Sure, but it ain't the first time he's done something like this.

At some point, the owners of Penny Arcade had to decide whether they want to continue to give this slimeball a printing press for his toxic views. The fact that they continue hosting and paying for his site after all of these fiascos makes them complicit in his actions.

toxic views?

PBY

Banned
It's amazing how you can "review" a game without actually explaining the systems mechanics on even a basic level. People get paid for this shit.
Not all reviews have to be indentical. You can read about mechanics literally anywhere else. I think this is actually adding something new to the conversation, agree or not. I appreciate the desire to move beyond mere "does this product work" type of reviewing.

Tuck

Really PA? You don't have enough traffic, now you gotta go after those Kotaku manufactured-outrage clicks too?

Pretty sure they have enough traffic.

Really, this constant "I disagree with the article so they must be click baiting" nonsense is really annoying.

TGMIII

Not all reviews have to be indentical. You can read about mechanics literally anywhere else. I think this is actually adding something new to the conversation, agree or not. I appreciate the desire to move beyond mere "does this product work" type of reviewing.

that's actually a good thing. regardless if you agree with the content.

For a fighting game you need to be able to discuss and explain the core mechanics of the game. That's the core of the product in this genre. It touched on none of that, it didn't even go into the modes that the game has.

If this was an article about female representation in fighting games then I would have less of an issue but it's not.

PBY

Banned
For a fighting game you need to be able to discuss and explain the core mechanics of the game. That's the core of the product in this genre. It touched on none of that.
Says who? Like I said- you can read about that stuff anywhere else. Rather, I'd argue no one else dives into topics like this anywhere else. Disagree with the review? Fine. But I appreciate the effort to analyze the game in a different light.

galvatron

Tradition should go out the window if something is wrong, no? Society progresses, re-evaluating constantly, and improving. "it's the way it's always been" shouldn't be an excuse IMHO.

Agreed...as I already said...

For a fighting game you need to be able to discuss and explain the core mechanics of the game. That's the core of the product in this genre. It touched on none of that, it didn't even go into the modes that the game has.

30 fighters
12 stages
vs mode
much fun
9/10

Says who? Like I said- you can read about that stuff anywhere else. Rather, I'd argue no one else dives into topics like this anywhere else. Disagree with the review? Fine. But I appreciate the effort to analyze the game in a different light.

best gaf indeed.

A.E Suggs

Well people aren't really arguing tech here so what is/can considered progress(and or what is considered an improvement sometimes) can be right or wrong depending on the persons morals. Since fighting is violent you could say getting rid of fighting games in general could be seen as progressive.

Doesn't it ever reach a point where people are just too exhausted to continue to be offended by everything? There's more to life than outrage over fuckingnothing.gif.

Oh right, so PA are racist and sexist now too are they? ffs.

I bet they were responsible for slavery, probably the IRA and fuck it, why not, the Taliban too. Throw in 9/11 for good measure.

All my comment was meant to do was call out the hypocritical state that the Penny Arcade brand sits in. It is hard to write a review on topics concerning social justice (be it race, sex, religion, etc) and try and start a conversation in earnest when a part of your brand sits where the PA comic does.

Sure it was hyperbole, but then calling KOF essentially the Song of the South is too.

old

As a review, this review was disappointing. Focus on the game next time instead of your SJW agenda. I learned nothing about this game reading this review.

bj00rn_

Banned
Sigh.. Seem like another white guy up in arms on the behalf of people who probably are a lot more rational in thought and logic than he is. I can't stand these glued-on "controversial" pieces. They do nothing else than undermine the causes they are supposed to help.

mui

Neo Member
Gamers are funny.

"Video games are a form of respectable ART! But don't you DARE criticize it like any other artistic medium!!"

Am glad more and more people are realizing just how much misogynistic the gaming community and industry is.

Ferrio

Banned
Gamers are funny.

"Video games are a form of respectable ART! But don't you DARE criticize it like any other artistic medium!!"

Am glad more and more people are realizing just how much misogynistic the gaming community and industry is.

Since when has art ever confined itself to political correctness?

Top Bottom