• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now Subscription Program: All The Details

ironcreed

Banned
compare to gamefly:

1 game at a time rental: $15.95 / month
2 games at a time rental: $ 22.95

PS Now: 100 games any time - $15/ month (for the 3 month package).

The only thing they could improve on imo is put in a PS+ option at $12.99/ month for subscribers (without package needed).

^^^^ This would sweeten the deal for PS+ subscribers. The pricing isn't really that bad imo. But of course, there will be those who will disagree. lol

But at least with Gamefly you can rent games for any system, including current gen. Plus, no lag or bandwidth problems. I would take Gamefly 7 days a week and twice on Sunday over this shit.

scitek

Well, the good thing is that you're not locked in for an entire year, and for less than the price of a new game - and even no more than a few of these used - you can play and finish a number of games you might have missed, and never have to worry again. It's not any worse than Gamefly, only you don't have to wait for them in the mail. The only downside is you don't get the option to keep the game at a cheap price. I'm sure they'll work on that.

Not bad pricing. Games were playable when I was in the beta too, so I might jump in. It depends on the quality of games that are available though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
M°°nblade;146097967 said:
So? The definition of backwards compatibility is the ability to play PS3 content. Not just the ability to replay games you have already bought.

Wrong. You don't call a PS Vita backwards compatible because you can buy PS1 classics or PSP games off the PSN store. It's about being able to play your own physical/digital media from a previous generation on the newer platform.

This is simply not that. The PS4 isn't physically able to play PS3 content anyway, hence the streaming of the games. This (PSNow) is not backwards compatibility and it was never touted as such as far as I know.

vs. 100s games that i can play anytime of the day and try them and see which ones i like and i don't without having to worry which ones to pick or not?

get out of here.

Sure, but you're forgoing ownership/resale rights and banking on your ISP/Sony servers to constantly be in service to play your games.

Those $15 a month chunks seems like a pretty good sweet spot, but I would need them to flesh out the library more. Hopefully this is successful if only to push nintendo to do some kind of sub service for virtual console.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Seems very fair to me.

But I wish they had a free game to let people test out how it works and their connectivity abilities. They had some freebies way back but now it all seems paid.

M°°nblade;146098876 said:
I bought a €600 BC PS3, and I played dozens of PS2 games on it until it broke.
No one gives a damn about your anecdotal experience with the BC PS3 though. I had one too and enjoyed it. Whoopie. The point is that the market in aggregate didn't give a hoot about BC and didn't mind when it was stripped.

Oni Jazar

Why can't they sell these games individually for 5-10$.

Im sorry the more I think about this the bigger a joke it becomes.

It's great maybe for someone with a Sony TV that wants to play some games but if you are a ps3/ps4 owner there is far better and cheaper ways to play your games.

Lol sure they'll offer you the ability to rent servers and bandwidth 24/7 without end for only one time payment of $5-$10.

Synth

Wrong. You don't call a PS Vita backwards compatible because you can buy PS1 classics or PSP games off the PSN store. It's about being able to play your own physical/digital media from a previous generation on the newer platform.

This is simply not that. The PS4 isn't physically able to play PS3 content anyway, hence the streaming of the games. This (PSNow) is not backwards compatibility and it was never touted as such as far as I know.

I half agree with you...

I wouldn't consider PSNow to be backwards compatibility as it's simply being streamed, and the console itself isn't running the game in question.

The PSP on the other I would consider backwards compatible, as it's able to actually process PS1 game code. I'd also apply this term to my PC which despite not having the distribution method originally used for a lot of games, is fully capable of running them if you have any means of getting the actual software onto to the machine.

EDIT: Also in the Vita's case, wouldn't you actually be able to play the same digital purchase that you bought for a PSP?

I agree with people who'd like to see a $100 a year and/or PS+ discount, but overall those prices are pretty good. I paid 8ish bucks to rent Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus for a week. I thought that price was fair then, and compared to that this is way better. The gameplay was also very smooth. One time I had it freeze up for a few seconds, but the rest of the 10+ hours I played was pretty much flawless.

ViciousDS

Banned
now cable companies need to update their fucking infrastructure away from cable and into fiber optics. I played El Shaddai through PSNow....easily worth the 5$ but honestly no shooter is even remotely going to be enjoyable without an amazing ping to servers and back.....I probably would get frustrated with Racers as well with the service. I remember trying Sniper Ghost Warrior in beta and while the delay wasn't terrible, but it was enough to offput me......and its sad because I only require 22ms round trip for ping from my house to chicago data centers.

Seems pricey, but it's not as high as I was expecting.

Doubt I'll ever subscribe to be honest, but it's a cool option for those who didn't have a PS3...

marrec

Banned
Oh damn. Not even that big a list at this point but there's tons I want to play there. Really hope we get a UK announcement soon.

It does look like they're adding some games for this subscription service that aren't currently on the list. Siren: Blood Curse, Uncharted, and XCOM are all in the image from the OP but not on the currently available list.

Tizoc

...which makes it a good deal to you personally, but not a good deal financially/mathematically. You can have your cake and eat it too, provided you're patient and are willing to do an extremely minimal amount of research before you buy.

To heck maths and finance :V
I say if something is worth your money, go for it, regardless of its price.

In regards to Now, I personally think that a 1 month and 3 month only sub isn't too tempting, I'm surprised there isn't a 1 year sub, but I think that'll come eventually.

breakfuss

NOW is still too expensive for any type of mass adoption. I certainly wouldn't pay that but it's is a step in the right direction. If this was like ~$100 annually I'd subscribe and not think twice about it. Also not getting the Gamefly comparison. One catalog is limited, the other is not.

TaKeRx

Hmm i might bite. How's the actual infrastucture. Any lag? I know dome people are saying these are Gamefly prices, but gamefly is not a stream like this service is. If you move or lose network connection and have no internet then you are pretty much paying for nothing.

My case is not like this, but I know for others it could be a big deal.

I would never use this but thats a great price. Anyone crying should think about all the other crap they spend 20 bucks on every month.

stryke

The inclusion of yearly sports games is kinda baffling. I don't think anyone is going to want to play last year's fifa or madden.

Jolkien

Pretty reasonable price. I don't think I'd use it much but when I tried it during the beta it worked flawlessly. Do we know what amount of data it uses by the hour (roughly) ? I don't mind cause I don't have a data cap but I'm curious.

Nope, backwards compatibility is the general capability to play both
a) games you have already bought and
b) play games you are willing to buy.

In telecommunications and computing, a product or technology is backward compatible or downward compatible if it can work with input generated by an older product or technology such as a legacy system.[1] If products designed for the new standard can receive, read, view or play older standards or formats, then the product is said to be backward-compatible.

Which is why streaming is an alternative way to provide BC with PS3 content.

Synth

The inclusion of yearly sports games is kinda baffling. I don't think anyone is going to want to play last year's fifa or madden.

There's more reasons to include them, than there is not to include them if you ask me.

For example, I don't generally play sports games at all, so would never purchase any given year's entry. However I may for example play the copy of FIFA14 I received via EA Access with a friend online if they ask me to play. They may not own FIFA15 yet, and so that being the only available version wouldn't help either of us in this case.

Then there's simply people like me who'll try to get people to play Tekken 5 (pre Dark Resurrection) simply because Nina was broke as fuck in that version, and they took the cheap stuff I required out of the updated version. :D

Mononoke

Banned
I think the price is reasonable. $44...and you get access to all that content. You have 3 months to devour all that content. It's less than the price of a single new game. Even if you played 8 of those games at $5 a pop. You've pretty much made your money back.

I think it just depends on how many games on there, you actually would want to play. If it's a lot, then I think it could totally be worth it.

The other factor for me, is obviously the quality. I still haven't used this service. So no idea how close it gets to actually playing it on PS3.

NickFire

I would never use this but thats a great price. Anyone crying should think about all the other crap they spend 20 bucks on every month.

I completely disagree. $20 per month to stream PS3 games on a PS4 is absurdly high. That's $240 per year to play a bunch of games from last generation with nothing to show when the service ends. Even $15 per month is too high. We are talking old and outdated games from an old console.

IronLich

The price point and the concept reminds me of SEGA Channel from the 90s. And a higher library at that. Seems like a better value than picking out one game at a time.

spwolf

$15 per month means you will never ever want to buy standalone PS3 anymore. Simply not worth it... easy to buy it for your kids and dont spend a dime over $15 per month for "unlimited" playtime for them, instead of buying bunch of games for $5-$50.

Now, do we know about how many devices are covered? I assume unlimited but one per time? Because real draw is not PS4 playing PS3 games, but TV's, Tablets and Phones playing PS3 games.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It is unreasonable to expect that. Plus, it seems they're targetting people who didn't own a PS3 last gen so clearly you're not someone they're actually targeting.
Why is it unreasonable? There's more than one way to skin the cat here. A lower priced sub with a monthly time limit should be perfectly reasonable, for example.

And if seems like they're only targeting people who didn't own a PS3, that's only because it's a byproduct of the rental catalog they're currently offering. The intent is obviously to cast the net much more broadly for customers ultimately, but I'm not sure the pricing models they've announced so far are going to get them there.

BumRush

I get it that the internet is a great place to complain but, um, isn't this what everyone asked for? And honestly, for access to a catalog of 100+ games (and growing), that price point is amazing.

No one gives a damn about your anecdotal experience with the BC PS3 though. I had one too and enjoyed it. Whoopie. The point is that the market in aggregate didn't give a hoot about BC and didn't mind when it was stripped.
No, the point is that he accused me hypocrisy by saying that 'no one gave a shit' when the PS3 had BC and 'the same people' now whine about not having BC, while I clearly did and still do care about BC.

spwolf

Why is it unreasonable? There's more than one way to skin the cat here. A lower priced sub with a monthly time limit should be perfectly reasonable, for example.

And if seems like they're only targeting people who didn't own a PS3, that's only because it's a byproduct of the rental catalog they're currently offering. The intent is obviously to cast the net much more broadly for customers ultimately, but I'm not sure the pricing models they've announced so far are going to get them there.

well, I am sure they could get a Billion people using it if it was free... but games are expensive, and this is only $3 more expensive than Netflix HD, while games are actually a lot more expensive to both own and to stream than movies... a lot more expensive.

So if people rave about Netflix HD for $12, then PSNow for $15 is great steal.

Top Bottom