• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now Subscription Program: All The Details

Not a bad price for me,I can deal with 20 a month. However it wouldn't be something I will use continuous. Maybe once every couple of months ,As new games are added.

Why 760 dollars?
In US a PS4 is 400$, here is 400€.
I really don't understand where you took the 760 dollars price.
Implementing a cell would cost around 100$, so a PS4 would be 500$/500€, not 760$.
Source on the $100 claim?

Even if it only clocked the system up to $500, that's still expensive. Had that been done, the X1 would have won every month post-launch by a landslide as they would have maneuvered to a price that would make that $500 look like a rip-off ($350 or $400). Not enough people care about backwards compability for this to be a valuable move.

Frabba

Neo Member
M°°nblade;146096212 said:
Competitive? Maybe
Good? No

Sounds like a very expensive renting service. It's cheaper to buy those games on my PS3.

That's your opinion, I just happen to disagree with it. I don't mind the price in the slightest.

Hoo-doo

Banned
M°°nblade;146096716 said:
I'd gladly pay $99 for an official PS1/PS3 emulator app on my PS4. But Jesus christ, this is just rental.

Great for you. That's not what this service is though, and it boggles the fucking mind that you people keep acting like it is.

This is NOT designed for you to replay your old physical games. This is streaming access to a big library of games, ones you don't have to own or buy at all. It's not the solution you're looking for.

I don't care. No way in blue hell am I paying $20 a month or $45 for every 3 months on top of PS+ just so I can stream laggy games. Enjoy, I guess.

I'm not even remotely interested in the service, thanks. But the way you just shifted goalposts is enough confirmation that you might actually understand the service now.

Nope, of course is my guess. But a PS3 is around 150$, it couldn't cost more then a whole PS3, with bluray reader, HDD etc.

Current msrp for a PS3 (the bundles are the only thing sold anymore) is 200. Not only that, but it's not strictly putting in a PS3 into a PS4. Things with the firmware have to work properly, and so on, and so on.

You are asking Sony to up the cost for everyone.

Elandyll

Banned
Man, that's kind of expensive.

It actually is not.

compare to gamefly:

1 game at a time rental: $15.95 / month
2 games at a time rental: $ 22.95

PS Now: 100 games any time - $15/ month (for the 3 month package).

The only thing they could improve on imo is put in a PS+ option at $12.99/ month for subscribers (without package needed).

Ourobolus

Banned
The price point actually isn't that bad. However, I'm gonna hold off until they get their PS1/PS2 libraries in there as well.

Why can't they sell these games individually for 5-10$.

Im sorry the more I think about this the bigger a joke it becomes.

It's great maybe for someone with a Sony TV that wants to play some games but if you are a ps3/ps4 owner there is far better and cheaper ways to play your games.

Mogwai

Does the emulated games run better on the PS4? Slightly better frame rate?

That's really the only thing that would make me consider this service.

rocketlaugh_take1.gif

What is that from?

Ramma2

If they get the south park game up there I'd bite, then probably play through the Uncharted series before 4 comes out.

DieH@rd

Banned
M°°nblade;146096503 said:
Even if it wasn't, you're paying $180/year for .... renting backwards compatibility ... wtf

The point is that this is not only accessible on home consoles, but TVs and soon Android devices. That expands possible audience from few hundred million console gamers to several billion people. So far they can only access 100-200 PS3 games in the NA, but that will soon be expanded to other territories and older PlayStation consoles. One day, PSNow can host 1000+ best games from old PS consoles.

$15 per month is a good price for that.

M°°nblade;146097139 said:
For 19,99$/month, you might as well just buy 12 PS3 games every year.
... and play them only on PS3. PSNow is a cloud service that gives those games on much wider range of devices, some of them non-gaming ones. That alone makes higher price tag worth it. Plus you can easily move from one device to another whenever you like, all saves are cloud-based, nothing is saved on user's device.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Glad to see subs finally, but it still feels like they're missing a happy medium in the pricing for this service. These subs aren't bad if you've got the time to max out on rentals each month but they're a little high if you're not likely to have a chance to take a crack at more than a few games each month. The alternative is to pay through the nose for individual game rentals.

If there were a $10/mo sub with a time limit of say 15-20 hrs/mo, I'd likely make frequent use of that sub.

The seven day free trial is definitely the best news here since it finally lets me see how the service would perform in my network environment without having to fork over money just to do that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not a bad price for those that tend to rent. Personally I would just buy the games I want since PS3 titles are getting cheaper and cheaper.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm not even remotely interested in the service, thanks. But the way you just shifted goalposts is enough confirmation that you might actually understand the service now.

Shifted goal posts? Of course I knew that it was a streaming service. I don't live under a rock. I merely called it backwards compatibility because right now it is old games. In which sense, it is indeed a variation thereof.

But regardless of how many games they add from PS4 on down, the price is laughable when you factor in that you are streaming games and paying on top of PS+. That is my only point here.

Peltz

Not a ripoff by any means, but I'll be passing.

I'm not a graphics snob, but I am an input lag snob. I don't even like playing Smash 4 online with a wired connection due to the slight hiccups. Drives me bat shit crazy that I cannot rely on my timing.

Can't imagine this is going to satisfy action gamers and shmup fans.

M°°nblade;146097139 said:
For 19,99$/month, you might as well just buy 12 PS3 games every year.

vs. 100s games that i can play anytime of the day and try them and see which ones i like and i don't without having to worry which ones to pick or not?

get out of here.

J@hranimo

Banned
Shit, for a person who didn't own a PS3 for an entire generation? This seems fair as long as it is a stable service. I will bite in the future.

Well, then they could just release two PS4 version, one with Cell, maybe for 600$ (of course I think it would be less then that, they of sure could fine a way to optimize the production process), one without it for 400$.

They did it even for PS3 (first model can read PS2 titles), so I think thise would be possible, and eveyone can choose the model he needs.

That's still not cost effective. If that version isn't making up the costs, then it's a big money drain.

Great for you. That's not what this service is though, and it boggles the fucking mind that you people keep acting like it is.

This is NOT designed for you to replay your old physical games.
So? The definition of backwards compatibility is the ability to play PS3 content. Not just the ability to replay games you have already bought.

DWinn7

It actually is not.

compare to gamefly:

1 game at a time rental: $15.95 / month
2 games at a time rental: $ 22.95

PS Now: 100 games any time - $15/ month (for the 3 month package).

The only thing they could improve on imo is put in a PS+ option at $12.99/ month for subscribers (without package needed).

^^^^ This would sweeten the deal for PS+ subscribers. The pricing isn't really that bad imo. But of course, there will be those who will disagree. lol

Elandyll

Banned
Why can't they sell these games individually for 5-10$.

Im sorry the more I think about this the bigger a joke it becomes.

It's great maybe for someone with a Sony TV that wants to play some games but if you are a ps3/ps4 owner there is far better and cheaper ways to play your games.

This service is -not- meant for people who own a PS3.

M°°nblade;146097967 said:
So? The definition of backwards compatibility is the ability to play PS3 content. Not just the ability to replay games you have already bought.

people here keep whining about backwards compatibility but when sony released the bc ps3 no one gave a shit.

the same people think a bc console also has to be cheap.

smh.

marrec

Banned
So according to that image in the OP they're adding Siren: Blood Curse?

Alright alright, I'll pay for 3 months.

Auctopus

Expecting £19.99/£49.99 in the UK. Bit too pricey for me. I'd have to wait for a time when there was a few games on there I definitely wanted to play and I had a bit of holiday or something.

Probably cheaper to buy a 500gb Slimline in the long run.

Well, then they could just release two PS4 version, one with Cell, maybe for 600$ (of course I think it would be less then that, they of sure could fine a way to optimize the production process), one without it for 400$.

They did it even for PS3 (first model can read PS2 titles), so I think thise would be possible, and eveyone can choose the model he needs.
But didn't Sony cutoff their PS3 model with backwards compatibility? What does that tell us about the importance of BC?

You want Sony to provide a free streaming service to many devices because you own an old PS3 game? Bit much no?

This is a whole new service.

I mean I'd love if I could stream all my old DVDs, VHS and CD's for free too on my 2015 devices.
I don't think it's that unreasonable. Also what. You can totally stream DVDs and CDs to devices for free if you just rip them to a PC. Not exactly difficult.

As for the service. I think it's pretty decent but a bit too much for me when I already own most games I'd want to play.

20 bucks is exactly what I expected so the 15 bucks per month for 3 months is even better than I thought. Seeiously, some of you guys expecting Netflix like prices, that was never happening.

I don't think it's that unreasonable. Also what. You can totally stream DVDs and CDs to devices for free if you just rip them to a PC. Not exactly difficult.

As for the service. I think it's pretty decent but a bit too much for me when I already own most games I'd want to play.

It is unreasonable to expect that. Plus, it seems they're targetting people who didn't own a PS3 last gen so clearly you're not someone they're actually targeting.

Top Bottom