• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now Subscription Program: All The Details

I'll give the trial a shot just to see how it works but I've already played everything on the PS3 I would really want to. I have lots of current-gen games to play so I can't imagine I would use this enough for a subscription to make sense for me.

Chariot

Looks ok for me. 15 dollar a month for access to 100 Ps3 games comes way cheaper than actually buying a PS3 and those games.

Ocaso

While I would have applauded a more limited 9.99 option, these are actually fairly appealing price points. I'm definitely tempted

Bashtee

Not horrible, but will wait and see what the selection looks like when they do Vita support.

was going to ask if there already is a vita app, but that does kind of answer my question. How does the service work, though? Is it possible to do some sort of pause and resume anytime, like the Vita?

tbm24

Seems rather steep on top of PS+ but I would like to play some PS3 titles I've missed on my PS4 out of sheer convenience. Do you unlock trophies for your PSN account through this?

Storm360

PSNOW has traditional saves in the cloud. If you bought a physical copy of MGS4 you should be able to continue where you left off.

PS now isn't in my region, so how do saves work?

From videos, it's just a virtual "cloud" PS3 you're streaming the output from, how do you get the save on your console?

Tigress

Okay wow people are bitching about the price when it's basically Gamefly prices with zero waiting and 100+ games at your finger tips instead of one at a time. I'm convinced there is no reasonable price point Sony could possibly strike without massive whining.

Yeah. Honestly, it's not bad. I wouldn't pay it but I'm poor and still have my PS3. I might pay it for a month though when visiting my parents to be able to play on my Vita (but only if Fallout and Skyrim are there ;). I might be better off just renting the games I want, I'd have to see).

But for me, that's how I'd use PSNow anyways. For when I'm travelling and just have my Vita.

Honestly, it's definitely a better deal than Gamefly. As you point out, you can play the games you want anytime you want (no waiting for it to be sent or worrying about waiting for some one to return the game) and you aren't limited to having one out at a time. Even if you want to just use it for one month, that's worth the 5 extra bux (well, also you would have to consider how well it works for you as since everyone's connection is different it may not be too viable to stream games for some people).

was going to ask if there already is a vita app, but that does kind of answer my question. How does the service work, though? Is it possible to do some sort of pause and resume anytime, like the Vita?

There is Vita support, just not for the sub service just yet (I have PSNOW on my Vita, never used it though. But one of hte last updates installed it on the Vita's UI standard. I'm not even sure I can get rid of it).

DYLANH24

Neo Member
Eeeeeeeh...Just make a freaking emulator for the PS4, ridiculous that backwards compatibility can't be a thing.

jwk94

PS Now is available on the PS Vita, but the PS Now sub is a separate app which won't launch on the PS Vita next week. As for performance, that's dependent on your internet connection. I have a fairly good connection speed and experienced minimal input lag while playing Ultra Street Fighter IV. Unless you're looking for it, you probably won't notice.

marrec

Banned
This is pretty much what I expected and what I would pay. Now they just need to get the games that I want to play... buuuut it's almost there.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a good deal to me for people who have a bunch of games on the list they want to play and good internet speed/caps. About the same as Gamefly with no waiting between games which means you could play more each month. Way cheaper than Redbox etc.

But I don't have the aversion to cloud subscription stuff many have. I don't like collecting stuff and would love a future where I just had subscriptions that allowed me to stream any game, movie, show, album, book etc. I seldom reconsume anything aside from movies and music, so that's far more convenient than buying physical things that end up getting sold or donated, or digital files that just get deleted.

stryke

From videos, it's just a virtual "cloud" PS3 you're streaming the output from, how do you get the save on your console?

I think he's saying if you're ps+ member and have your save uploaded, psnow can access that to continue.

MercuryLS

Banned
No thanks, I'll just play the few games that I missed out on on PSNow. I don't need constant access to a back catalogue of PS3 titles.

Btw, has Splinter Cell: Blacklist gone up on PSNow?

jwk94

It saves to the PS+ cloud save hub. You just need to download it from your cloud.

U2NUMB

Not horrible pricing but would have liked the 15 dollars per month to be what you get for being a Plus member. Beyond that they need to add more than just PS3 games... older PS4 and legacy games along with Vita would be nice.

Problem for me is that I played a ton of games last gen so not really a need for it. But I am going to keep my eye on the service going forward.

$20 for a month of infinite games?

Not bad. Hope the UK price isn't shit.

Of course it will be dawg. When the fuck isn't it? And its Sony! They hate the UK. Look at how they trolled us with the PS3 launch. A year later than US, with almost double the price, while also being an inferior model.

I do not think this is a good price at all. Look at Netflix, its just priced right to be irresistible.

This is not even close to irresistible, so it is destined to fail. Plus, streaming games' inherrent problems makes this even a worse proposition. If this were giving you the ability to play those games as well as in the past, that would be one thing.

But no, they want people to pay this for games with extreme input lag? Ridiculous. PS now gaming is budget gaming. It looks and feels it. So why the F do they think this is a good price? And its on top of PS +? Are they demented? That is insanely dumb.

Those blog posts make me cringe.

"180 for an entire year?! Blasphemy! It's too expensive. That's like 3 whole new games!"

180 is less than a one-week paycheck with 40 hours at a Burgerking.

We're not saying it's too expensive in general, just too expensive for what it is.

Paying $3 for a $1 pack of gum is still a waste of money even if you can afford it. You're paying the extra $2 for the convenience of having the gum RIGHT NOW, which is the exact same thing PS Now is doing for games. It's not a good deal, just a convenient one.

And who pays $60 for a game? Oh right, people who are bad at shopping for video games, who are a prime target for this program.

That's way too expensive, in my opinion. I'd pay $50 per year at most. Even $20 per month is too high. Why? Well, how many games could anyone reasonably play and complete in a one month plan? Even in a three month span, you're looking at maybe enjoying 3 to 5 titles at most. Just jumping around between titles in order to try everything would be stupid. Where's the fun in that?

Adults with full time jobs and/or a family can't really make use of this. It's fine for kids and teenagers, but that's it.

I have a butt load of PS3 and PS2 games. When my original 60 GB PS3 died for the third time, I bit the bullet and bought a new slim PS3. Now I have three Playstation consoles I have to keep around to play everything I have. I'm going to cry rivers of tears if my PS2 and PS3 die. RIVERS.

I work a 9-5 (soon, at least) and this'll be perfect. 50 bucks for three months for rentals? I'm game.

You forget that there are a bunch of games that don't take that long to complete.

Derpyduck

Banned
Looks ok for me. 15 dollar a month for access to 100 Ps3 games comes way cheaper than actually buying a PS3 and those games.

If they played the same as they do on a PS3, you might have a point. Controller lag and reduced visual quality renders PS Now a novelty morseo than a console replacement.

Tigress

Speaking of Vita support, I just realized I'm at my parent's house visiting now, the exact place I'd probably use PSNOW. I'm kinda interested in testing how well PSNow would work for me where they are.

Anyone know a good game to use to test it out to see how well connection would affect controls of the game? I love RPGs of all sorts (though I suspect a western RPG would be better for testing connection as it is more live action), driving games, GTA, stealth games. And I like FPS's that have good story.

zewone

Okay wow people are bitching about the price when it's basically Gamefly prices with zero waiting and 100+ games at your finger tips instead of one at a time. I'm convinced there is no reasonable price point Sony could possibly strike without massive whining.
This is correct. People moan for months about a subscription model, then it's offered at a reasonable price and they still complain.

Don't listen to these people, Sony.

Taskbarbarian

Neo Member
I am glad they added a subscription at all, but kinda wish they would have gone with a price point that matched Netflix or Hulu Plus, to sort of standardize this whole thing. Something around 10 dollars a month. Isn't that how much the WWE Network costs?

Also, at some point in the future, are we all just going to have hundreds of dollars tied up every month in subscription fees for everything? I cut cable because I hated that giant bill, and have been saving ever since, but the number that I pay monthly for all my entertainment keeps creeping back up...

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Price looks expensive at first then compare to something like basic Sky TV in the UK the price looks reasonable.

I can see this potentially being big not on Playstation console but on PC or a Smart TV. With the latter you'd just launch a Sony PS app on any smart TV and start playing games using PS controller.

skybald

The $15 dollar a month plan somewhat appeals to me as I only buy about one game every two or three months and there are games a missed out on. Will need to check the library and test out the stream quality in my ps4 some day.

Seems like a good thing to invest in next summer, assuming a drought of new releases.

Lexxism

Expensive plus it's a US price. It will be like $25/month or $50/3 months for Canada. I guess this service isn't for me.

Dragon

Banned
We're not saying it's too expensive in general, just too expensive for what it is.

Paying $3 for a $1 pack of gum is still a waste of money even if you can afford it. You're paying the extra $2 for the convenience of having the gum RIGHT NOW, which is the exact same thing PS Now is doing for games. It's not a good deal, just a convenient one.

And who pays $60 for a game? Oh right, people who are bad at shopping for video games, who are a prime target for this program.

It isn't the same gum. The false equivalence in this thread is sort of incredible. I'm calling out your post but it might as well be many others.

You cannot play PS3 games on a PS4 in any other way. Period.

RPGCrazied

I still have a PS3, so this service does little for me. I have most games for the system that I want to play. The price I wish would be a little lower, more like a Netflix price point. We wouldn't even need this service if the PS4 could play PS3 games.

LAM09

I still have a PS3, so this service does little for me. I have most games for the system that I want to play. The price I wish would be a little lower, more like a Netflix price point. We wouldn't even need this service if the PS4 could play PS3 games.

They want to make money. ;)

I didn't realise that action and RPG were on the exact opposite ends of the gaming genre spectrum.

Anyway, it's far too expensive considering the actual games in the line-up, and the reliance on streaming with the lag that comes with it. Those which are worth playing can be picked up for next to nothing now anyway. Perhaps good for PS4-only owners looking to play the likes of ICO if they've never played it before. Although I'd recommend picking up a second hand PS3 instead.

That's way too expensive, in my opinion. I'd pay $50 per year at most. Even $20 per month is too high. Why? Well, how many games could anyone reasonably play and complete in a one month plan? Even in a three month span, you're looking at maybe enjoying 3 to 5 titles at most. Just jumping around between titles in order to try everything would be stupid. Where's the fun in that?

Adults with full time jobs and/or a family can't really make use of this. It's fine for kids and teenagers, but that's it.

I have a butt load of PS3 and PS2 games. When my original 60 GB PS3 died for the third time, I bit the bullet and bought a new slim PS3. Now I have three Playstation consoles I have to keep around to play everything I have. I'm going to cry rivers of tears if my PS2 and PS3 die. RIVERS.
What about someone with kids? Jonny wants to play one game, timmy another and mum/dad another?

All without having to buy a console, just a dualshock and the subscription and away you go.

I think some people can't put themselves in others shoes, for some this will be a great service. For many well informed and prepared people like you find on gaf, it might not be. Doesn't mean it's a shit service, just not for you.

Also, the people.complaining about a lack of backwards compatability need to read up on why it isn't there. It's not some cash grab or incompetence, it's because of a huge shift in tech used. To whine about it makes you look stupid.

iceatcs

How the hell is this expensive?

Great value, as long as the streaming isn't shit.

Way much more data than movie streaming. Sony need to pay those bandwidth bills and building many own server farms (custom PS3 hardware running on server) around the world.

I am glad they added a subscription at all, but kinda wish they would have gone with a price point that matched Netflix or Hulu Plus, to sort of standardize this whole thing. Something around 10 dollars a month. Isn't that how much the WWE Network costs?

Also, at some point in the future, are we all just going to have hundreds of dollars tied up every month in subscription fees for everything? I cut cable because I hated that giant bill, and have been saving ever since, but the number that I pay monthly for all my entertainment keeps creeping back up...

Games and movies are different mediums, though. And this is probably as low as they could get it considering the publishers run the prices.

As for your expenses, like anything in life, just keep track of them. Make sure you don't resub again if you don't want to and you are good to go.

You'd be paying a higher price for your PS4 instead. That might sound good to you, I know, but it isn't for everyone. This is an optional way of attempting to please everyone.

waypoetic

Banned
Blimey!

If that is the case then, surely there will be some beta's available down the line?

I'm not saying that it'll be next year but speaking from experience; streaming services or other "special" services usually are US exclusive for a couple of months (or years). I live in Scandinavia and that video service that half the world got, well, that was for the PS3 and we now have the PS4 and it still isn't out for PS3 over here. PS Now will most likely be available here in 2017. Why? I have no fucking idea. Our internet over here is awesome so it can't be related to "poor connectivity".

Vashetti

Banned
I would have gladly paid extra for a PS4 with the PS3's Cell chip incorporated for BC, but Sony had no interest in doing that.

Dragon

Banned

Netflix had to raise their subscription price for obvious reasons not too long ago.

And the service isn't strictly for PS4. People are so myopic when a service that is going to be platform agnostic and will have access to a ton of older Playstation games...

I would have gladly paid extra for a PS4 with the PS3's Cell chip incorporated for BC, but Sony had no interest in doing that.

Yeah its definitely puzzling. Er wait, isn't there a video card in the PS3? Wouldn't adding that make the PS4 more expensive and sell less? Wouldn't the manufacturing process be more expensive? Yes to all of those.

flkraven

Price is a little high, as the monthly Sony sub now for PS+ and Now is between $20 to $30 a month. However, you do get an insane amount of PS3 games, so it's probably worth it for anyone that missed last gen.

I still think it's funny that Sony was 'protecting the players' by not allowing EA Access and it's $3/month sub, but reveal this. Anyone that buys in to the 'what's best for the people' narrative is crazy.

Top Bottom