• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sanders campaign requests removal of 2 DNC members, threatens to halt convention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh no he's working in an industry he knows incredibly well

Signature is a $29 billion bank that primarily works with privately-owned businesses. The 14-year old bank has been growing rapidly and performing well at a time when other banks have struggled. Last quarter it posted its 22nd consecutive quarter of record earnings.

“I like this business model in particular,” Mr. Frank said in an interview. “They don’t get involved with exotic derivatives and credit default swaps.” He also described himself as “very supportive of banking.”

Mr. Frank retired from Congress in January 2013 and is now an author, NBC contributor and public speaker, according to his Twitter profile. He said this is his first board appointment. “I was flattered to be asked,” he said.

He's clearly being paid off to destroy the economy, good eyes Godslay

Tabris

I wonder why people praise Frank.

Dodd-Frank hasn't done anything to shrink the size of the too big to fail banks. Almost all the US major banks keep getting bigger and bigger.

Bank Total assets, 2014 (B) Total deposits, 2014 (B) Total assets, 2013 (B) Total deposits, 2013 (B)
BNY Mellon $385 $266 $374 $261
Bank of America $2,105 $1,119 $2,102 $1,119
Capital One $309 $206 $297 $205
Citigroup $1,833 $897 $1,881 $968
HSBC $290 $111 $290 $110
JPMorgan Chase $2,573 $1,363 $2,416 $1,288
PNC $345 $232 $320 $221
State Street $274 $209 $243 $182
U.S. Bancorp $403 $283 $364 $262
Wells Fargo $1,687 $1,168 $1,527 $1,079
Source: SNL Financial

Armaros

Dodd-Frank hasn't done anything to shrink the size of the too big to fail banks.

Bank
Total assets, 2014 (B) Total deposits, 2014 (B) Total assets, 2013 (B) Total deposits, 2013 (B)
HSBC $290 $111 $290 $110
PNC $345 $232 $320 $221

I wonder why posting the size of the banks means anything?

Its not like Bernie has an idea for how to breaking them up?

Also Breaking up banks =\= Only way to regulate banks.

It's amazing how a year can change someone's opinion. I went from liking Bernie Sanders, to being indifferent, to now just wishing he would go away and stop.

At this point I really feel Barney Frank's 1991 assessment of Sanders was 100% correct.

"His holier-than-thou attitude - saying in a very loud voice he is smarter than everyone else and purer than everyone - really undercuts his effectiveness"

"To him, anybody who disagrees with him is a crook; there are no honest disagreements with people. Bernie's view of the world is that the great majority of people agree with him on all the issues and the only reason he does not win is that the Congress is crooked"

I said goddamn when I got to this part. It reads like a prophecy, just replace congress with the DNC/Hillary. Please see this dude for what he is really Sanders supporters!!!

Wow. Props to Barney for handling that well. Sanders, stop being so fucking petty, wtf.

While watching him answer questions from hecklers, we were wondering, should he be responding to them, or ignoring them? Should you give those people attention? I thought that it's a lose-lose situation, in that if you ignore the heckler you get hit for it afterwards but if you respond you also get criticized, but it probably was better to respond than to just ignore them.

And lines like "one heckler at a time, please" were pretty funny. He's an amusing guy. But still, that is not the kind of behavior you should ever see from delegates at a party convention! That video (see the link in my last post) is well worth watching.

And on that note, some people running for national delegate on the Bernie side were promising to vote for Bernie on every ballot even if it took 100 ballots. I don't think they won, hopefully, but still... that's not how you behave at a national convention.

Toxi

Banned
I don't know why the Sanders campaign is doing this.

They won't fucking win. They can't fucking win. Any chance of the superdelegates swinging their way disappeared a long time ago.

Almighty

If the democrats could stop the infighting, let Hillary focus on the general and delivering good downticket results to secure a healthy margin in the senate, then and only then will you see progress for liberal causes. Hillary will without a doubt go as far left as she can once she's in office.

I don't see it. Do I think Clinton would go further left if she could? Yes I do. Do I think she would ever go as left on economic and other key issues as I would like, even if she had vast majorities in the senate and congress? No I don't.

That is all I hoped Bernie Sanders would do when he first announced his run. Just pull Clinton slightly further left then she would have felt comfortable going publicly otherwise. Sadly I didn't think his unexpected success would go to his head and he would off the deep end like this. The only way he could further disappoint me at this point is by running third party in key swing states.

I don't know why the Sanders campaign is doing this.

They won't fucking win. They can't fucking win. Any chance of the superdelegates swinging their way disappeared a long time ago.

The crazy bastard thinks crooked Hillary and the DNC scammed him out of this. The scary thing is the closer to being eliminated the more it seems he wants to burn it all down.

Tabris

I wonder why posting the size of the banks means anything?

Its not like Bernie has an idea for how to breaking them up?

Also Breaking up banks =\= Only way to regulate banks.

You didn't answer the question though. His regulation isn't doing anything to slow down too big to fail.

Also these major banks haven't passed the fed stress tests still, so again, how is this regulation handling this too big to fail issue?

All I'm reading is "Congratulations President Trump." Thank you Bernie.

Nah, thanks to Donald Trump being Donald Trump and his demographics being awful, we'll still pull this out, but it won't be the grand slam we were hoping for.

Even with Bernie's crazy fan club, Hillary still polls comfortably above Trump, so it should be fine even if all his supporters who threaten to not vote actually do so (they probably will vote for Hillary anyway)

Yeah like wtf. Bernie had my full fledged support at the start, he seemed like a genuine, nice, and caring person, but has turned into what I never expected or wanted. He seems like a bitter man, who can't accept defeat, and ultimately has turned into a sore loser that's going to end up hurting the people whom he tries to tirelessly fight for, or so he says. I'm starting to wonder now honestly.

If Trump wins, Mr. Sanders is going to have to take a huge part in allowing the takeover of an evil man that could further throw us into a low point in racial relations, which seems pretty bad as it is.

giga

Dodd-Frank hasn't done anything to shrink the size of the too big to fail banks. Almost all the US major banks keep getting bigger and bigger.

Bank Total assets, 2014 (B) Total deposits, 2014 (B) Total assets, 2013 (B) Total deposits, 2013 (B)
HSBC $290 $111 $290 $110
PNC $345 $232 $320 $221
Because shrinking the size of a large bank doesn't equal financial stability. Dodd-Frank addresses many of the risks that are inherent from interconnectedness, complexity, and illiquidity that can come from any sized bank, including medium sized ones like Lehman was, and provides a process for resolution in the event of failure. To say it doesn't deserve praise because it hasn't shrunk the asset sizes of banks misses the forest for the trees.

Nah, thanks to Donald Trump being Donald Trump and his demographics being awful, we'll still pull this out, but it won't be the grand slam we were hoping for.

Even with Bernie's crazy fan club, Hillary still polls comfortably above Trump, so it should be fine even if all his supporters who threaten to not vote actually do so (they probably will vote for Hillary anyway)

Its the fervent people in his support club falling to blind idolatry that scare me. All the Bernie or bust folks. Not to mention that every minute of this farce continues to degrade the Democratic party and Hillary. I grow less and less confident by the day because this man can't put his ego aside and has bought into his own cult of personality.

Because shrinking the size of a large bank doesn't equal financial stability. Dodd-Frank addresses many of the risks that are inherent from interconnectedness, complexity, and illiquidity that can come from any sized bank, including medium sized ones like Lehman was, and provides a process for resolution in the event of failure. To say it doesn't deserve praise because it hasn't shrunk the asset sizes of banks misses the forest for the trees.

It doesn't miss the forest for the trees, because there are no forests allowed in Tabris land.

It misses the forest for the 5-story mixed-use building that looks exactly the same as everything else within 6 blocks on the same street.

You didn't answer the question though. His regulation isn't doing anything to slow down too big to fail.

Also these major banks haven't passed the fed stress tests still, so again, how is this regulation handling this too big to fail issue?

Because looking at absolute size is a terrible metric for risk. Leverage ratio is much, much more valuable since it shows the risk financial institutions are taking. After Dodd - Frank and the higher capital levels required by the Fed, leverage has been greatly reduced without crippling the economy.

Average-RWAs.png

http://www.alt-m.org/2016/05/12/two-cheers-for-the-leverage-ratio/

Tabris

I don't think it is personally, because these banks are still failing the fed stress tests and there's no ramifications to them not passing these.

They essentially built the tests but didn't build the enforcement, or at least not in practice.

Its the fervent people in his support club falling to blind idolatry that scare me. All the Bernie or bust folks. Not to mention that every minute of this farce continues to degrade the Democratic party and Hillary. I grow less and less confident by the day because this man can't put his ego aside and has bought into his own cult of personality.

I haven't really noticed any ill effects on Hillary so far with his nonsense. Polls are shifting back to where they were pre-Trump confirmed candidate, so we know that was just a bump and not a new trend.

You either concede a hero or campaign long enough to become a villain.

I kind of wonder if Bernie is a text book case of power corrupting. All his political life nobody paid attention to him. He would often debate in an empty room and ramble on with only the crazy cat ladies who watch CSPAN at 11am on a Thursday as an audience.

To go from that to talking to millions in stadiums, people chanting his name. People quoting him, taking his message and trying to make it happen. He was within reach of the presidency, and lost it. Not because of fraud or anything, it was completely because of his own problems, but he won't admit that. Now he feeds off that attention and demands it. He's an addict, he needs his fix, and if the mean ol' DNC wants to cut him off, he won't go down without a fight.

It kind of feels like if this was a comic book, this would be the start of Bernie Sanders' fall from grace, his villain origin story.

Vice

l

He has a long history of being a prominent progressive figure in the US. While Dodd-Frank isn't entirely effective it's more than what most have done. Has beliefs on civil rights, crime and drug policy that fall in line with many left leaning people. He's also one of the few prominent homosexual political figures in the USA.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
To quote Willy Wonka: "You get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!"

Bets on how many days it will take Bernie to renounce the letter D next to his name after he loses? I give it a week.
The only place it's next to his name is on primary ballots. He doesn't even need to renounce, it'll just happen.

Armaros

I don't think it is personally, because these banks are still failing the fed stress tests and there's no ramifications to them not passing these.

They essentially built the tests but didn't build the enforcement, or at least not in practice.

Maybe that's because you only care about symbolically breaking up the banks, and not actual sound financial stability within the banking system.

Weird because they are already talking about what is going to happen this fall at the banks for failed the living will test. But please follow a politician who knows nothing of the financial industry and just thinks "eh it will be simple to break them apart and everything will sort itself out" without thinking of the massive ramifications of doing just that.

Tuck

I have a question. Since I'm Canadian I don't know the full details of how the US system works.

A lot of people in here are saying things like "If Trump wins, it'll be Bernie's fault" and acting like a non-unified democratic party at the convention is a bad thing.

Which... is confusing, for a few reasons. Isn't the convention to decide the nominee? So why is it the end of the world that this guy doesn't want to give up till then? Especially since its only just two months away? Shouldn't that be how things are supposed to work? What makes this convention that important that things need to be decided months beforehand? Plus the republicans have their own fiasco going on, so I'm having trouble seeing why this is such a big deal.

Plus people are acting like Bernie is evil for going against the party. But my understanding is he was never really a democrat to begin with? He only went with them cause running as an independent would have gotten him no where?

A non-snarky explanation would be sincerely appreciated.

Ogodei

HSBC $290 $111 $290 $110
PNC $345 $232 $320 $221

You can see the impact in Wall Street's political giving. 2008 Presidential election it was something like 55:45 R:D, 2012, post Dodd-Frank, and it was something like 70:30.

I have a question. Since I'm Canadian I don't know the full details of how the US system works.

A lot of people in here are saying things like "If Trump wins, it'll be Bernie's fault" and acting like a non-unified democratic party at the convention is a bad thing.

Which... is confused, for a few reasons. Isn't the convention to decide the nominee? So why is it the end of the world that this guy doesn't want to give up till then? Especially since its only just two months away? Plus the republicans have their own fiasco going on, so I'm having trouble seeing why this is such a big deal.

Because Clinton will clinch a majority of pledged delegates on June 7th, will indisputably clinched a popular-vote majority, and absent a tiny meteor striking her and putting her into a coma there's no way the superdelegates are actually changing their minds with all the shit Sanders has flung their way.

It's effectively over on June 7th. Taking it to the convention is unnecessary and may well basically hand this to Trump given the precedent of convention fuckery (1968, 1972, 1980).

I mean, the Scandinavian countries that Bernie envies have giant, nationalized banks.

*shrug*

The banking system in which Tabris is allowed to operate is significantly more concentrated than the United States', yet crickets.

cdyhybrid

Which... is confusing, for a few reasons. Isn't the convention to decide the nominee? So why is it the end of the world that this guy doesn't want to give up till then? Especially since its only just two months away? Shouldn't that be how things are supposed to work? What makes this convention that important that things need to be decided months beforehand? Plus the republicans have their own fiasco going on, so I'm having trouble seeing why this is such a big deal.

Plus people are acting like Bernie is evil for going against the party. But my understanding is he was never really a democrat to begin with? He only went with them cause running as an independent would have gotten him no where?

The point is that every second he spends fighting an unwinnable fight is a second that could have been spent convincing his hardcore supporters to vote for Hillary (who is going to be the nominee) instead of taking their ball and going home or voting for Trump out of spite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom