• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake releases October 8th 2024! | State of Play

GrayChild

Bloober aren't specifically the problem, but handing Silent Hill to a western developer most certainly is. There's some quintessentially Japanese about the series, in terms of the way the horror is presented. It comes from the same creative place as movies like Ringu and Ju-On. The Japanese have a uniquely psychological approach to horror that we aren't good at copying here in the west. Our horror tends to be a lot more straightforward.

The reason why this remake is likely to fail is that they will not manage to capture the tone, aesthetic and storytelling style of the original game, simply because they developer comes from a very different horror tradition.

Konami should have done their best to reunite Team Silent, or at least keep the remake development in Japan, instead of fostering it off to Bloober, most probably because they were cheap. It's been well documented how low wages are in Poland.
This.

I'd go as far as to say that not even most Japanese studios can match the feel of the original 3 (or 4) games. The best Silent Hill entries are not just a product of their time, but also of a very specific group of people capturing a lightning in a bottle.

We already saw American, British and Czech studios doing their takes on the franchise and failing to match the original Team Silent games. And then... we also had a very poor Japanese-made installment in "The Short Message" to prove that Ito and Yamaoka can't make a masterpiece on their own. People often downplay how integral Owaku, Toyama, Murakoshi, Sato and Tsuboyama were for the franchise.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This.

I'd go as far as to say that not even most Japanese studios can match the feel of the original 3 (or 4) games. The best Silent Hill entries are not just a product of their time, but also of a very specific group of people capturing a lightning in a bottle.

We already saw American, British and Czech studios doing their takes on the franchise and failing to match the original Team Silent games. And then... we also had a very poor Japanese-made installment in "The Short Message" to prove that Ito and Yamaoka can't make a masterpiece on their own. People often downplay how integral Owaku, Toyama, Murakoshi, Sato and Tsuboyama were for the franchise.

There is literally no good reason (apart from being fucking cheap) that Konami couldn't have approached Bokeh Game Studio to make the next Silent Hill game.

Can you imagine how much more hype would have been generated by that announcement than 'the devs who made that medicore Medium game are remaking Silent Hill 2'?

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
JbQsgkB.gif

JbZJiQ4.gif

JbZJrps.gif
Yeah I take back shitting on this until I saw the gameplay video. Game’s looking good. It will never rise to the originals because those are just impossible to match but this is turning into its own thing and I have hope.

🙏

Denton

Bloober aren't specifically the problem, but handing Silent Hill to a western developer most certainly is.
I don't believe in this metaphysical mumbo jumbo. Hell, there already are two very solid western SH games with Shattered Memories and Downpour. Of course it is possible Bloober will still fuck it up, but that doesn't mean non-japanese developers anywhere are utterly incapable of making good SH game or remaking SH2.

Killer8

Looked great, i'm glad Bloober could finally put their best foot forward with some extended footage. The town exploration has been done extremely well, almost how I imagined a Silent Hill from the far future could look back in 2002. The characterization is unexpectedly great thanks to the voice acting, really capturing that more natural delivery from the original rather than the anime-tier over-acting from Troy Baker and co in the HD Collection.

I think the controversy over Angela's design is possible just due to the lighting in that particular scene of the trailer as she looks how i'd expect in this gif (and she wasn't meant to be a supermodel anyway):

I think the criticism has gotten to the point that it's now just 'fans' being such jaded fucking bastards that even a pretty competent looking remake, and possibly the best traditional looking SH release since SH4, is being shit on over such pettiness. The Resident Evil remakes like RE2 and RE4 get a ton of praise and themselves had some similar concessions in minor areas like character design, yet when this gets a similar quality of treatment it gets mercilessly shit on. Double standards out the ass.

GrayChild

I don't believe in this metaphysical mumbo jumbo. Hell, there already are two very solid western SH games with Shattered Memories and Downpour. Of course it is possible Bloober will still fuck it up, but that doesn't mean non-japanese developers anywhere are utterly incapable of making good SH game or remaking SH2.
Shattered Memories was painfully mediocre, apart from its cool psychological profiling system. Not to mention how it was basically a precursor of the modern run/hide-and-seek sims, and had the most braindead puzzles I've seen in a horror game.

Downpour was a mish-mash of ideas that really didn't gel together. Adding an unnecessary and poorly thought-out open-world design in a series that doesn't need it, its plethora of glaring technical issues, the atrocious combat system that was at times even clunkier than the PS1 original, and a plot that often contradicts itself, and you're left with a game that was 6/10 at best.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Yeah this legit looks like their best game
This very well could be, and honestly it NEEDS to be. I know their portfolio is a mixed bag, but with all of the attention this is getting if it fails in anyway it won't be good for them I'm sure.

To be fair, to each their own, but I don't think it's fair to consider Shattered Memories or Downpour as "very solid." Shattered Memories was received better than Downpour from what I can remember, but they never carried the same weight as the original 3 (or 4 really) at all.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Layers of Fear and Observer were great
Blair Witch was pretty good, except for overly drawn out ending
Medium was decent

Not a perfect record, but good enough for me to give them benefit of the doubt

If you've played The Medium, you can clearly see that it's their audition tape for a Silent Hill like project.

I want a Japanese Silent Hill AAA game, but what would it be? Silent Hill souls? The best games were on PS2, but games arent like that anymore. Its evolving with the times. Same way Resident Evil 1 and 4 are different.

I think it's just a crapshoot with SH games anyway. Konami very, very obviously has zero interest in quality, thought or any actual direction for the franchise. The recent revival is just throwing the name of SH against the low bidder wall and seeing what sticks. Think about the fact the first release in line was that fucking online interactive story dumpster fire. Someone over there saw REmake's success and realized hey, don't we have one of those like...Horror games...let's get money.

They're not going to give a shit who makes any of this. The logo on the box is the only important part. I assume the reason Blooper is doing SH2 is because they already made a complete SH rip, dropped their pants budget proposal wise as "mega fans" and done.

The whole SH revival is as cynical of a cash grab as it can possibly be, any decent game that comes out of that will be by chance on Konami's part imo. They're not Nintendo overseeing Metroid: Prime by the sound of it.

What is truly baffling, is that a great majority of people complaining about this and calling the original SH2 a classic, have likely never played it, emulation or otherwise.

I mean we're going on the better part of 3 decades...

This is akin to REmake coming out and saying it looks horrible and if you really want to experience it, go back and play the PS1 classic.

I replayed SH2 and 3 this year, and 3 was great but 2 was damn near unplayable. Gameplay is/was shit... that damn wooden board.

Anyways, I'm excited and had zero hype or faith prior to this latest transmission.

This effort by Bloober looks amazing, and anyone saying otherwise is part of the problem, and the reason we can't have nice things.

Matsuchezz

I was watching the gameplay trailer and it looks fucking sweet also liked how they are changing stuff like where James finds the radio for the very first time. And health items are in more logical places than just laying in The ground. Graphically looks really good. They have a few more months to polish it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Shattered Memories was passable, but Downpour was utter shit. It is absolutely worse when made by western devs.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was watching the gameplay trailer and it looks fucking sweet also liked how they are changing stuff like where James finds the radio for the very first time. And health items are in more logical places than just laying in The ground. Graphically looks really good. They have a few more months to polish it.
You mean you never grabbed a bottle of medicine from some random staircase and used it to heal your wounds? 🤣

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Completely disagree, Downpour had great atmosphere and the added exploration and sidemissions added a lot to the experience. Shame it never got PC version.

OK, I guess. But you're very much in the minority with that opinion. None of the western developed Silent Hill games have reviewed that well or sold well. One of the reasons why the franchise was dead for so long. Konami's mismanagement is legendary.

Denton

I find it interesting that the director of SH2 never made a game like it afterwards (or any game of note, really). If you gathered Team Silent back together, would they even be able to make a good SH game?

Killer8

What is truly baffling, is that a great majority of people complaining about this and calling the original SH2 a classic, have likely never played it, emulation or otherwise.

This is akin to REmake coming out and saying it looks horrible and if you really want to experience it, go back and play the PS1 classic.

I replayed SH2 and 3 this year, and 3 was great but 2 was damn near unplayable. Gameplay is/was shit... that damn wooden board.

Anyways, I'm excited and had zero hype or faith prior to this latest transmission.

This effort by Bloober looks amazing, and anyone saying otherwise is part of the problem, and the reason we can't have nice things.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it unplayable but combat specifically was always a weak point in Silent Hill. It's a big reason why Konami's decision to do a combat trailer a few months ago was extremely retarded. That said, the remake looks leagues ahead of the original in at least that area:

vs

It's Homecoming combat but meatier and doesn't animate like a dance battle.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Watch them bundle the HD Collection and authentic PS1 emulated version in this release to the benefit of no one.
Most likely, but they went back and fixed a lot things with MGS HD Collection which was nothing compared to what was wrong with the SH Collection.
So maybe they do the same

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I recently played this game on my PSPvita and really enjoyed it, but please tell me why I should not like it :D?
It has worse combat than the PS1 original. The weapon swings are not as dependable, weapons break, downed enemy stomp rarely works, and guns are less accurate and do less damage. It is alright on a New Game Plus run with some accolade weapons though if you avoid all the junk pickups and hightail it to key items.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If they leave 4 out of the next collection they need to atleast put it in Ps2 classics on ps5
I can see them doing SH1/2/3 and Origins
A Collection V2 would probably be SH4/SHH/SHD with Shattered Memories.
Or they may do all 4 instead and leave it at that

Was she meant to be then?
Maybe or maybe not. The problem, if you have been watching what’s going on in western gaming, is that female characters have been made to look much less feminine anymore. There is no denying that unless you need glasses. It is very clear her face has been altered to where her chin looks like a man’s. Plenty of people have noticed this as well as myself. That is why this gets called out as much as it does because it is so blatant and obvious.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bloober aren't specifically the problem, but handing Silent Hill to a western developer most certainly is.
Which is odd because they're in Poland. Must be the Austin, Texas of Poland location. 🤭

Wait, what? Don't toy with me, dude.
Rumors are circulating. They updated the Steam database for Homecoming with HD logo and high-res cover photos. So, some are speculating the PS360 version of that collection may be getting the MG treatment.

Last edited:

semiconscious

Gold Member
I think it's just a crapshoot with SH games anyway. Konami very, very obviously has zero interest in quality, thought or any actual direction for the franchise. The recent revival is just throwing the name of SH against the low bidder wall and seeing what sticks. Think about the fact the first release in line was that fucking online interactive story dumpster fire. Someone over there saw REmake's success and realized hey, don't we have one of those like...Horror games...let's get money...
& done. okay, you can all go home, now...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Go full in with the remake then visit the original. Graphics were great at the time now they suck.
I know what you mean. The early cut offs of your vision, the insane amount of fog rolling in, and the awkward pauses from going down the wrong street. It’s something that stands out when you’re use to today’s tech. It also super nostalgic or something fun to experience.

I totally get it. There’s reasons I’m super excited for the remake. The graphics are one of them and I’m hoping they nail the locations.

I was playing the original not too long ago and it’s aged more than I would have thought. So has a lot of stuff.

Last edited:

Erebus

Go full in with the remake then visit the original. Graphics were great at the time now they suck.
If you play on PC with the community released enhancements and mods, graphics are pretty ok all things considered. It's the controls and combat that are clunky for today's standards, though you wouldn't play a SH game for its combat.

Last edited:

Vick

Downpour was a mish-mash of ideas that really didn't gel together. Adding an unnecessary and poorly thought-out open-world design in a series that doesn't need it
Downpour open-world wasn't poorly thought-out at all.
It was masterfully designed in fact, the very best example of its kind at the time. And essential to the game itself, so very much needed as well.

Game problems lied in enemies design, combat and technical issues, all juxtaposed however with plenty of S-Tier elements such as its open-world design.

Removed from Team Silent's legacy offering, as a stand alone title it was a competent western SH obviously made by very passionate people who understood survival horror.

Matsuchezz

Looks worse than I could ever imagine.
Absolutely disgusting.

If you've never played SH2 - and are still serious about trying the game - please do everything in your power to play the original.
The original will forever be one of the finest experiences of this gaming medium.
Don't let this remake taint that for yourself.
Naah. I love Sh 2 to death the graphics and gameplay will turn people off. Let them experience the remake and then visit the original.

tommib

Gold Member
Downpour open-world wasn't poorly thought-out at all.
It was masterfully designed in fact, the very best example of its kind at the time. And essential to the game itself, so very much needed as well.

Game problems lied in enemies design, combat and technical issues, all juxtaposed however with plenty of S-Tier elements such as its open-world design.

Removed from Team Silent's legacy offering, as a stand alone title it was a competent western SH obviously made by very passionate people who understood survival horror.
Would you recommend this to me, Vick?

It’s expensive on eBay but I got a PS3 and never played it.

Denton

How is the state of Downpour emulation these days? I would love to play it in 4K 60, since on PS3 it ran pretty badly.

Knot3D

If I hear one more millennial/zoomer say "janky" again and again (youtube reactions to this remake) I'm gonna crack some heads.
Look, I don't wanna play the age card for the sake of it, but to understand the bigger picture
and context of SH2's impact you had to be there back in 2001, I was 23 back then.

And this context is that even back then, it was 'janky'. Every seasoned gamer back then was perfectly aware
that is part of what makes it tick.
Impressions so far look decent imo, certainly refreshing enough in the parts where it's desirable.
And besides, they still have some time to polish things up before the master code goes gold.
You guys say boomers and us genX'ers are old men screaming at clouds, but you youngsters are quite the champions at complaining too.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I played the first and hardly remember it so the sequel will be completely new. No nostalgia, just excitement for a new survival horror game. What can we expect though? Even the amazing Demon's Souls remaster got a lot of hate from some people.

Top Bottom