• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake releases October 8th 2024! | State of Play

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
7PoggGC.png

Uhhh

For those unfamiliar

If true, you guys are gonna take your moved tramp stamp and covered midriff and thank the God's it stopped there.

SaintALia

Again, my dude. It's not a matter of attractive or ugly, or better or worse. It's about respecting what came before. Angela always struck me (and others) as kind of a frumpy dumpy chick who was soft spoken but kind of...slow sounding. I'll just say it: she seemed like the mid 90's Americana stereotype of a chick growing up in a white trash home. Intentionally so. There's an aesthetic that's hard to put words to, she felt like a character you might see in something along the lines of Natural Born Killers or some shit. Now it looks like the worst thing her father did was tell her to stop self inserting herself as Mary Jane in her Spider-man games.

Canon SH2 Angela is a broken, meek runaway wanderer who is not unfamiliar to violence, both giving and receiving. She's not Humpty Dumpty. This is a good example of an "Abby wouldn't be a gorilla in a realistic post apocalypse," deal.
Everything you said in the bolded here, fits the new design to a tee. She looks exactly like a frumpy, stereotypical dumpy chick you'd pass over and not give a second glance at.

Like, get someone who's never even heard of the character or of SH2, pitch them a character based on what you said, and show them the two designs of Angela and which one do you think they would pick as a more appropriate design based off that?

I'm not even defending the design, it's just funny to me people dumping on it for her background reasons, changing her look to being more attractive than her redesign, and then you say what you said, which actually fits the resdesign more.

Right now I'm more concerned with Maria's toned down sexualization, as that is an actual palpable change to the narrative and design and I'm wondering how far they've gone with this. Because there are a couple other moments of sexualization in the theme of the game and narrative that may be toned down or stripped out which can affect the feel. So them adding 'chubby cheeks' Angela is immaterial to me on a whole. That, and I really dislike the jank animation.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
On that topic... where's my noise grain filter? Most of the stuff shown so far looks too... clean and lacking in grittiness?

The hospital in particular doesn't feel nearly as oppressive and claustrophobic as the original.

POsZUTd.jpeg

zZKnSGL.jpeg

aSve2xm.jpeg
It's there but due to the higher resolution it's not as noticeable.
It would have to be really thick grain to get the same result
3AjzmwV.jpeg

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Suzi is chill. I get you have a hate boner for anything trans related, but you need to pick your battles better.

Lmao, Suzi is a retard, and I'm allowed to think so.

Also, find me evidence that I have "a hate boner," for trans stuff. Based on memory, the last thing I said related to trans people on GAF was related to that cringe Dead By Daylight shit. Which, even divorced from social justice, was a prime comical misunderstanding to the extent I was expecting Don Knotts to pop out.

I'm against woke Paint by numbers tokenism, censorship, and the overall sanding down of any edge or point most contemporary media has.

If you're trans, hurray.
If you're not trans, hurray.
If you agree with trans, hurray.
If you don't agree with trans, hurray.

If it doesn't impact *me* I don't care. If it does impact me, I do.

semiconscious

Gold Member
reminder: the remaster (yeah, i know - sacrilege!) is still available on the series x/s. under the circumstances, it might just be the lesser of 2 evils...

TGO

She, my friend, had been wokeified to make sure she is acceptable for proper modern audiences. Cant have a pretty faced girl running around in games today can we?
Nah she really does look like the actress
laughing-gianna-kiehl.png

Although you could probably still say that, but they haven't Mary Janed her

TGO

GPA_vGFXUAAXccX

Can't get over how inferior the new scene looks compared to the original.

Also, Angela's hair physics in the remake apparently have their own will.
Hopefully the rumours of a Master Collection like thing for Silent Hill is correct.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lmao, Suzi is a retard, and I'm allowed to think so.

Also, find me evidence that I have "a hate boner," for trans stuff. Based on memory, the last thing I said related to trans people on GAF was related to that cringe Dead By Daylight shit. Which, even divorced from social justice, was a prime comical misunderstanding to the extent I was expecting Don Knotts to pop out.

I'm against woke Paint by numbers tokenism, censorship, and the overall sanding down of any edge or point most contemporary media has.

If you're trans, hurray.
If you're not trans, hurray.
If you agree with trans, hurray.
If you don't agree with trans, hurray.

If it doesn't impact *me* I don't care. If it does impact me, I do.
Sure Jan GIF

xrnzaaas

On that topic... where's my noise grain filter? Most of the stuff shown so far looks too... clean and lacking in grittiness?

The hospital in particular doesn't feel nearly as oppressive and claustrophobic as the original.
Who knows, maybe they'll still add it as a paid add-on. Ubisoft already had the balls to lock the red filter in AC Shadows.

Go_Ly_Dow

Lots of negativity let's refocus a little bit
7151TYY.jpeg
S5Yf39l.jpeg
5ST4uqm.jpeg
lRygkYY.jpeg

The game does look good minus the stuff we and everyone else is talking about
I was critical of the short trailer, but can't deny the game looks visually good in the longer gameplay trailer.

Of course it's Bloober and we should all be cautious. But I can see reasons to be somewhat optimistic it could be a good game and experience too.

Let's see how it turns out. I'll keep an open mind until then.

Power Pro

I guess they didn't get the "modern audiences" memo like the spineless saps in gaming kowtow to and follow.

From a Polish dev studio at that. For shame.

Konami should have rejected the designs when submitted.
They totally got the memo cuz this person....
They have a penis

kunonabi

POsZUTd.jpeg

zZKnSGL.jpeg

aSve2xm.jpeg
There are some really strange lighting changes in the remake so things feel very different in spots.

J3nga

I was the one who criticized bloober for their previous titles but this improved in my eyes since last trailer, I'm willing to give a benefit of a doubt. Saying as someone who loves OG SH2 and played it multiple times. Some of you folks really need to chill out and take a vacation from internet.

Last edited:
Watched the gameplay in 4k. People are insane.... this looks really good, imo.

I don't get responses like this. Silent Hill 2 is known for its oppressive/claustrophobic atmosphere not for AAA TLOU visuals showcase. This looks like something that was pulled out from another zombie/apocalyptic survival game with UE5 jank-polish.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looks good to me. I'll pick it up. It may have already been said but who's doing the music? Is it just the og soundtrack?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Layers of Fear and Observer were great
Blair Witch was pretty good, except for overly drawn out ending
Medium was decent

Not a perfect record, but good enough for me to give them benefit of the doubt

Bloober aren't specifically the problem, but handing Silent Hill to a western developer most certainly is. There's some quintessentially Japanese about the series, in terms of the way the horror is presented. It comes from the same creative place as movies like Ringu and Ju-On. The Japanese have a uniquely psychological approach to horror that we aren't good at copying here in the west. Our horror tends to be a lot more straightforward.

The reason why this remake is likely to fail is that they will not manage to capture the tone, aesthetic and storytelling style of the original game, simply because they developer comes from a very different horror tradition.

Konami should have done their best to reunite Team Silent, or at least keep the remake development in Japan, instead of fostering it off to Bloober, most probably because they were cheap. It's been well documented how low wages are in Poland.

Last edited:
Top Bottom