• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake releases October 8th 2024! | State of Play

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
People focus on the dumbest shit I swear. There are a ton of things you can pick out from the trailer, but people focus in on a character having a chubby face and just go off on it. Altho I suppose it is a bit funny people wanting a prettier/attractive version of the character, given her actual history in the game.

Saying that though, toning down the sexuality on another character was probably a bad call given the importance of that aspect to the narrative.

It's not a matter of prettier or more attractive.

Angela is an established character. She's not fat.

I expect Eddie to be a 220 lb bearded 6 foot chad.

pKQ6hT3.jpeg
2GV3E2k.jpeg

SaintALia

It's not a matter of prettier or more attractive.

Angela is an established character. She's not fat.

I expect Eddie to be a 220 lb bearded 6 foot chad.
They pretty much changed all the characters to some degree, when you try and change her from the chubby version, you are changing her to be more attractive, which as I hinted at in her character story, well....

Also I can't say she's 'fat', but I suppose being a bit chubby(I'm not even sure about calling her that either, just really seems more as weird/'unique' face modelling) counts as someone being 'fat' to Americans? I dunno, I'm clocking her as 'chubby', and as a chubby nondescript, teen it seems to fit her better and I can't seeing how adding more weight is actually detrimental to her character. I guess they could make her more anorexic and depressed, but I suppose that'd be a bit too on the nose.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
They pretty much changed all the characters to some degree, when you try and change her from the chubby version, you are changing her to be more attractive, which as I hinted at in her character story, well....

Also I can't say she's 'fat', but I suppose being a bit chubby(I'm not even sure about calling her that either, just really seems more as weird/'unique' face modelling) counts as someone being 'fat' to Americans? I dunno, I'm clocking her as 'chubby', and as a chubby nondescript, teen it seems to fit her better and I can't seeing how adding more weight is actually detrimental to her character. I guess they could make her more anorexic and depressed, but I suppose that'd be a bit too on the noChad.
Again, my dude. It's not a matter of attractive or ugly, or better or worse. It's about respecting what came before. Angela always struck me (and others) as kind of a frumpy dumpy chick who was soft spoken but kind of...slow sounding. I'll just say it: she seemed like the mid 90's Americana stereotype of a chick growing up in a white trash home. Intentionally so. There's an aesthetic that's hard to put words to, she felt like a character you might see in something along the lines of Natural Born Killers or some shit. Now it looks like the worst thing her father did was tell her to stop self inserting herself as Mary Jane in her Spider-man games.

Canon SH2 Angela is a broken, meek runaway wanderer who is not unfamiliar to violence, both giving and receiving. She's not Humpty Dumpty. This is a good example of an "Abby wouldn't be a gorilla in a realistic post apocalypse," deal.

so they added some chub to angela. in game whilst playing it probably makes her more pathetic. i wonder if they converted eddie into a big hispanic or black dude

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Game looks strange, according to NEOGAF silent hill is the holy grail of horror games, but how much of a difference will it make if I haven’t played the first silent hill?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Game looks strange, according to NEOGAF silent hill is the holy grail of horror games, but how much of a difference will it make if I haven’t played the first silent hill?

Won't make a difference, 2 is standalone. It will be beneficial but you can enjoy SH2 on itself 100%.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
SH1 and SH2 are not related at all. SH1 and SH3 connect in various ways. SH2 is a stand alone.

ShadowNate

Looks like the mod creators of the Silent Hill 2: Enhanced Edition are excited about what was shown in the extended gameplay. I agree to a certain degree; I might not be as enthused, and I will wait for early reviews before I buy in.

dDoc

Boy that interaction with Angela was like a confirmation I'm staying away. It's lost the entire vibe of the original

I was disappointed when I saw the state of play trailer.

However compared to the original, graphics wise it's much better cmon guys.

But yeah graphics could have been better tbh.

Hopefully they nail the gameplay as the originals aged badly. Not too confident on that though

Last edited:

magnumpy

they should have done a remake of the PS 1 game, except they could call it a PS 0.5 remake

"the Silent Hill before there ever was a Silent Hill"

Last edited:

Maguro

I've watched the trailer and can honestly say i'm kinda sick of the copy-paste Resident Evil 4 gameplay. I get it RE4 was beloved by many so much, that Capcom made RE2 and RE3 in the same way. And now Konami has to copy it because they want a piece of the cake.

But hear me out: When i grew up i adored Silent Hill 1 and 2 and played them some years ago recently again. And they still hold up pretty fine. To me growing up with these kind of survival horror games it was always about the morbid and dread atmosphere. When Resident Evil 4 came out i wasn't impressed but i played it anyway. I even bought the PS4 Version and it's an okay game. But the fact is.. to me the "over the shoulder camera" and more shooter focused gameplay takes away SO MUCH of the atmosphere these games had when they still had a fixed camera angel. I have no idea why people complain all the time about tank controls, i play these games and the characters are fine to control. Now the same happens to Silent Hill 2 and i'm kinda pissed about it. I don't care that the character models look like shit, i care about the atmosphere in these games that feels very different now.

Darius87

GO3Eaq1a4AYNPl4

James "Sinusitis" Sunderland

Silent-Hill-2-james-sunderland.png

That was better
lol no remake characters are way better looking old cg character models looks like plastic faces very pale and unrealistic not even comparable i don't know what's up with everyone but i much better like remake though cheeks must me reduced on that girl face.

Luipadre

Gold Member
The 14 min gameplay do looked a lot better than their trailers. Animations are still bad tho except for cutscenes

Last edited:

RaduN

lol no remake characters are way better looking old cg character models looks like plastic faces very pale and unrealistic not even comparable i don't know what's up with everyone but i much better like remake though cheeks must me reduced on that girl face.
Nobody argues that tehnically the remake doesn't look superior. I mean...wtf!
But those who actually played the original (and actually paid attention to the story), are saying that the design, artistically, is way waay off (appearence, VA) in regards to the character's personality and everything surrounding their characterisation.

Valt7786

so they added some chub to angela. in game whilst playing it probably makes her more pathetic. i wonder if they converted eddie into a big hispanic or black dude

I'm honestly wondering if thats why they haven't shown Eddie yet. SH 2 has a very white cast, if a sweet baby type of firm are involved then that just won't fly with them.

If we're going to discuss Angela's design, can we show anything other than the worst possible image of her? Literally every other shot of her looks different and while yeah, a bad shot can be good for the lols, she looks better, but still different in every other bit they showed.

Because if we want to use closeups that make a character looks strange then:

sh2_art_character_22_angela.jpg

Either way it looks like the new design is based on the actress, like every other character we have seen so far in the game, and this wasn't an attempt to make her look "fat" or anything like that. Hell, her body seems normally proportioned

Top Bottom