• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, yeah. 88 seconds and it's already verified quite a few of the things we've heard about the movie via a few sites.

Those spoilers were real.

Herne

Awful, awful lightsaber. After seeing millions of fan designs and stuff like Park Sabers, that one really stuck out as bad to me, and that's saying something. Loved the rest of the trailer, though. Millennium Falcon and X-Wings and TIE Fighters, oh my!

eot

Banned
That was more or less the complete opposite of what I was hoping for, but that's hardly a surprise. It's probably be as good (read: bad) as Into Darkness.

Carn82

That can be arranged...

0dHUDra.gif

Awesome-o ^_^

BFIB

Already watched it 10 times, about to watch it 10 more.

Loved everything about the teaser. Cannot wait for the full proper trailer, which is probably months away. :(

For clarification on the clonetrooper/stormtrooper thing, clonetroopers were only around for the Clone Wars and a little bit beyond that. They were purposefully engineered so that Palpatine could carry out Order 66 since presumably non-programmed soldiers wouldn't have the loyalty to turn on their Jedi superiors who they fought alongside and befriended for 3 years. After the Clone Wars were over, the Empire started just recruiting people to be stormtroopers since it's cheaper and they needed not just an army to fight the separatists but a galaxy-wide military to patrol and keep the entire empire in line. According to Pablo Hidalgo, they're a volunteer army that Palpatine has created through imperial propaganda inspiring patriotism in the citizens.

The reason they suck compared to the clonetroopers is that they're just shoved through training because they need huge numbers of people in the force. They're not bred to be warriors like clonetroopers. They win through sheer force and attrition.
To expand upon this (though some of this is old EU that is no longer canon):

Palpatine was actually surprised how well the Clone troopers could take out the Jedi. They were created with Order 66 in mind all along, but he didn't expect it to be quite so effective. He was worried someone might be able to turn the Clone troopers on him, so he phased out the clone trooper and replaced them with loyal human troopers. The human troopers aren't quite as skilled as the clones (what with clones being literally bred for the purpose), but they are still actually good soldiers despite their accuracy issues in the OT :p

The only Clone Trooper regiment that remains is the 501st, aka "Vader's Fist". Even that unit ends up slowly replacing its Jango clones with both non-Jango clones and regular human troopers.

My only little nitpick - how close to the ground the X-wings and Falcon get to the ground/water.

Episode VII: You will believe a ship can fly... er, hover.

Of course now I'm imagining a duel in the snowy, nighttime forest: New Sith vs Old Jedi Master Luke. Just think about the green saber lighting up among the trees, illuminating Luke's face with the snow falling. :D

So I guess the big trailer will come in the summer with Avengers, huh?
Can't wait.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
It's reading comments that makes me remember that some people just don't know how to have fun.

I was instantly a kid again watching that. It frustrates me that some people can't do the same. Looks incredible.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
"The Dark Side of the Force... and the Light"

Finally good to hear that on film for the first time. I always thought the "good side" of the Force always sounded cheesy.

Also interesting that there's no Disney logo. Perhaps they're marketing Lucasfilm as their own studio, like Marvel Studios?

Foggy

Not the biggest fan of the lightsaber design and that shot of the Millenium Falcon took a weird amount of time to fully rotate. Small things aside, looks solid enough!

Jawmuncher

Of course now I'm imagining a duel in the snowy, nighttime forest: New Sith vs Old Jedi Master Luke. Just think about the green saber lighting up among the trees, illuminating Luke's face with the snow falling. :D

Can't wait.

A trailer with avengers does seem like the best bet for maximizing.

My mate theorises that the bad guy is a collector of sith weaponry and armour. He suggests the bad guy is wearing Darth Revan's helmet, Darth Ruin's armour and possesses Vader's helmet so it's a possibility he's brandishing an acient Sith weapon, hence the different blade configuration and more "active" blade.

kingocfs

Everything about the audio in this trailer is so good. Sure it looks kind of dumb but I love the sound of that new lightsaber. Music is awesome, too.

Can't wait.
Either that or at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim in April would be my guess.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's reading comments that makes me remember that some people just don't know how to have fun.

I was instantly a kid again watching that. It frustrates me that some people can't do the same. Looks incredible.

Its...how can I put this. I would have exactly the same reaction if the last two decades weren't stuffed with various Star Wars media and merchandise trying to make me feel like a kid again.

After the amount of people who've had their hands chopped off in Star Wars is the idea of having a cross guard really that crazy?

Of the three(?) people who've had limbs chopped off throughout the six films:

- one had his hand cut off after he was distracted (AOTC)
- the same person had his arm/legs cut off after he attempted to leap over a combatant with a height advantage (ROTS)
- one was hanging off a weathervane with his arm exposed (ESB)
- one was beaten down by the other and had his hand laying across a railing (ROTJ)

None of these instances had anything to do with whether they had a cross-guard or not. Even then, unless it's optional, I fail to see what it brings to the table. The way it's designed, it looks like if someone tried to slide the blade down and stopped at the crossguard, it would just end up going through the hilt instead.

I don't know - looks like more of a hinderance than anything else.

zeemumu

My mate theorises that the bad guy is a collector of sith weaponry and armour. He suggests the bad guy is wearing Darth Revan's helmet, Darth Ruin's armour and possesses Vader's helmet so it's a possibility he's brandishing an acient Sith weapon, hence the different blade configuration and more "active" blade.

Wasn't Vader's armor burned along with the rest of him, except his hand that got left on the Death Star, which exploded?

Between this and Avenger's 2, Disney's gonna rock the box office next year.

I hope that X-Wing pilot is Wedge's son. As the only other onscreen pilot other than Luke to survive two death star runs and Hoth, there should always be an Antilles with them. Like Ratzenberger and Pixar.

That shaky cam during the Milleninum shot felt really out of place.

I personally fucking love it

I don't need yet ANOTHER Star Wars film that looks like Lucas'

This is what I've always wanted. Same universe, different styles and interpretations :)

EDIT: Also, holy shit is it awesome to see Oscar Isaac in a Rebel Pilot getup!

i2ESCbwhUpnrx.png

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
What would i give to play a Storm Trooper in this movie.

Best job ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom