• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Eh, not digging some of the designs. (That lightsaber is stupid.) But it looks like a modern Star Wars... so yay?

EGM1966

One more concern. The original trilogy worked because for the most part it didn't feel like it was following franchise rules or had to showcase the cool stuff.

It was driven by good characters and a classic plot, already this trailer seems more focused on franchise tropes - lightsabres, x-wings, Millenium Falcon- than characters and plot.

I hope it's just because its a teaser and they want to placate those who look for those elements above the actual important stuff but I don't know, Outside of TV Abrahms has been shaky on character.

Anyway I'm not pumped not impressed so far but I'll let those who're over the moon space fighters are flying low over a lake enjoy the moment.

God damn, I said GOD DAMN that was good! Just, that music! And those shots! X-Wings, the Falcon... mmmmm.

We're getting a (former?) Storm Trooper for a protagonist, that's cool. Need to watch Attack the Block. Light Claymore is awesome, provisionally. It makes a ton of sense, but only if they switch to a more realistic fencing style, which I'm all for. If they stick with the original trilogy/ perquels style, then yeah, it's just for toys. But god damn, it's great.

BFIB

I've tried to keep myself in the dark, but obviously the Empire still has a strangle on some systems?

Man, if they go somewhat in a Thrawn trilogy route, that would be awesome.

Heroman

Banned
It's reading comments that makes me remember that some people just don't know how to have fun.

I was instantly a kid again watching that. It frustrates me that some people can't do the same. Looks incredible.

People have diffirent view of star war , for me this doesnt make me a kid again cause as a kid I didnt like the OT and so seeing the same shit I have been seeing for over 15 year dosnt make me hype.

I really really really really like the exhaust idea. As many others have said, the actual blade of the saber is wavy and unstable, it's not a sharp defined blade like a typical saber.

;)

For the whole lightsaber is dangerous for the wielder people, these are jedi. They can deflect beams of light using their reflexes. They are in complete control, no jedi has ever cut themselves. The crosshilt will protect the hands, it is no danger to the sith.

Concerning the saber, what if it was actually built by some egotistical douchebag that thinks he's the shit (the sith?) and just added that for flair or to spook his enemies? There could be some context to it.

Obviously to me as I tend to not speak for others in my posts. There is no "GAF" in my post. Just me and my opinion. I don't know what you mean by hyper critical. I watched the trailer ready to get my hype on 'cause I love Star Wars, I thought the new saber design was dumb looking, I shared said opinion.

I think by "hyper critical" you meant "people are disagreeing with me!"
Sorry for acting stupid I'm just getting annoyed how in every GAF thread there's seemingly a bunch of negativity even more so than most sites on the internet.

A distinction with no meaningful difference.
Uhh there is a difference. A teaser is meant to tease and build hype with very minimal content. A trailer is supposed to be much longer and convince people to see the movie and give the setup for the plot and some plot details.

Ithil

I would say wait and see what the lightsaber does in the film before dismissing it. The crossguard might seem wacky now but they'll probably incorporate it into the fights.
There's also something different about the saber effect. It's more like "fire" or it's scratchier. It seems like they're going for them looking like the New Hope style, rather than the super clean "baton" look of the PT.

Wasn't Vader's armor burned along with the rest of him, except his hand that got left on the Death Star, which exploded?

Between this and Avenger's 2, Disney's gonna rock the box office next year.

Vader would have had a spare helmet or two for when he sneezed.

Koppa

Neo Member
The Boyega shot has an initial scene vibe to me.

my thinking of that shot is that it could be after the Milennium Falcon shot... Boyega gets shot down by the falcon and then some other crap happens... Sith man chops trees, Luke force smacks a bitch or two, Han and Leia argue about the curtains in the falcon... that kinda stuff

Wasn't Vader's armor burned along with the rest of him, except his hand that got left on the Death Star, which exploded?

Between this and Avenger's 2, Disney's gonna rock the box office next year.

episode 7 minor spoiler

theres been leaked artwork from the movie and among that set of leaked artwork was an actual picture of a burned vader helmet which is expected to be in the movie

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
someone able to make me a 1080p screenshot of the sith with his lightsaber?

sorry. I can't do it on my own right now.

Lebron

The dynamic cam following the Falcon is fucking fantastic. This shit is going to be amazing in Imax.

JJ bringing in that ST knowledge.

actually looking at that gif of the lightclaymore... it looks better than first impressions.. looks like a REALLY long blade and the guard.. if he actually wields it like a claymore (with great stunt work and choreography) I think those saying "it doesn't look bad ass" will change their minds.. but we'll have to wait and see.

I thought people were talking about claymore as in modern military laser trackers on the side of a mine, Call of Duty claymore - not the medieval sword claymore. Lol.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Look at the gif right before your post.

qJlwaap.png

Eh, that's directly from the sun. I ought to clarify, I didn't see any of the usual Abrams shit:

star-trek-carol-lensflare.png

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
For the whole lightsaber is dangerous for the wielder people, these are jedi. They can deflect beams of light using their reflexes. They are in complete control, no jedi has ever cut themselves. The crosshilt will protect the hands, it is no danger to the sith.

heh good point I guess.

ultrazilla

Great teaser!

I really got the feeling that the universe felt more alive with what looked to be real locations instead of all green screen cgi.

As for the apparent bad guy lightsaber, let's give it a break. We don't know the story surrounding the saber or guy. There may be a practical purpose to the design. Let's not get too carried away about bashing it.

And that was totally Han and Chewie piloting the Falcon! Awesome!!

FTF

Yup, that was great and I'm psyched! Shots of the x-wings and falcon were freaking awesome. Broad sword lightsaber was a little weird, by whatever, I'm hyped and think it'll be great!

I have a feeling that once this film drops, people are going to be upset JJ isn't shooting 8&9 as well.

I already am! Is it too late for Disney to change their mind??

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The saber makes sense, looks good. I am hyped, completely in. Hell I am buying the Star Wars Complete Saga on Blu Ray now.

Eidan

I have a feeling that once this film drops, people are going to be upset JJ isn't shooting 8&9 as well.

I was upset the moment that was announced. I've loved Abrams' work so far.

Trailer looked awesome btw. First time I've been excited for anything Star Wars related since...Knight of the Old Republic 2.

MattyG

Banned
Concerning the saber, what if it was actually built by some egotistical douchebag that thinks he's the shit (the sith?) and just added that for flair or to spook his enemies? There could be some context to it.
Maybe he's an antisocial computer hacker too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The medieval lightsaber! I think that might be because of the spoilers that were going around for a while. It's not a terrible idea. It might make it hard to be removed from the person's grip? Possibly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom