• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coreda

Really hope they stick with the clean look. So many films add an abundance of smoke, foreground effects, depth hazing, and such that it's nice to see some of the more simply focused shots here and similar to the OT.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I can't think of a single, solid reason for that lightsaber design. It's unnecessary as a cross-guard.
Yeah, no ones ever had their hands sliced off in the movies to even justify guarding them. Stupid!

Eidan

I can't think of a single, solid reason for that lightsaber design. It's unnecessary as a cross-guard. I'll just hope there's a good reason for it other than, "Let's show them a lightsaber they've never seen before!"

Claymore inspired. I'm sure we'll see the little side sabers get use during the film. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

blackjaw

Lightsaber came out, goosebumps.

I can't wait, JJ Abrams knows what needs to happen with the series and I have confidence that he will do it justice.

Sallokin

I just get the feeling that this movie is going to be insanely polarizing before it's even released which is a shame.

That's just the way things are nowadays. You've gotta be 100% for, or 100% against something. There's no room for anything else. Adding Star Wars to the mix just intensifies everything 1000%

FeD.nL

I can't think of a single, solid reason for that lightsaber design. It's unnecessary as a cross-guard. I'll just hope there's a good reason for it other than, "Let's show them a lightsaber they've never seen before!"

To prevent stuff like this (don't know if posted in the past pages):

star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-13014.jpg

Foggy

I like the crossguard. It actually makes sense - swords had those for a reason, and a lightsaber's crossguard would need to be tiny lightsabers to work. Plus it looks badass.

Visually, all the new designs are great and very Star Wars. You can see some Abrams in the lighting and cinematography but he maintained the Star Wars look very well. And Adam looks menacing and crazy as a Sith.

Also lol at the Abrams hate.

It makes sense for steel swords, but I always got the impression that lightsabers never had an issue with sliding down. It always felt like there was a lot of friction when they collided. Not that practicality really does anything for me, I just enjoy the simple sleak design of normal lightsabers.

Ithil

Lightsabers cut through near anything except other lightsabers. You have your lightsaber locked with another guy's saber. He pulls his down the length of your blade, and either cuts your lightsaber hilt in two or cuts your hand off. Both of these have happened in the movies.

Crossguard, and he can't do that. Exactly the same reason they have them on real swords.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think its more of a dark side user that isn't technically a "sith". So it looks like the crystal in his blade isn't near as strong as those in normal light sabers.

or those handle blades would extend further? I didn't think a lightsaber had an adjuster to it either, so that might be true. Since it's emitting a force of energy then it might not even matter. Those holes might just make it the blade leak out. They could use it as a tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE#t=49

Just to ask again - there is no way to purchase the original trilogy on blue ray, correct?

Only those fan made "HD" versions they put together from as much original footage as possible, right?

FTF

I think the schedule to release for 7 is too compressed for him to do 8. Rian Johnson is going to start shooting next year while Abrams will still be finishing up post production on 7.

Ah damn yeah you're prob right. They'd need 3 years in between films, not 2.

Any chance the narrator could be Max von Sydow? Not super familiar with the dude's voice but would seem less random than it being Cumberbatch since his casting is confirmed
It didn't sound much like Von Sydow to me. It also sounded like two different people saying the two phrases.

Also, the audio is bloody amazing. So far so good.

zruben

Banned
So, let me get this straight:

you're ok with space ships, light-speed traveling, highly intelligent droids, the force, the dark side, a fucking death star, han understanding chewie's language, luke and leia being twins and looking nothing alike, jedi ghosts giving advice and a lot of shit like that...

but that slightly different lightsaber is stupid.

Zeeman

Teaser looked great, they nailed the aesthetic of the original movies, that lightsaber looks like it would cut off your fingers accidentally, and I got the biggest stupid smile on my face when I saw the Falcon.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

see.. this makes no sense. people can certainly not enjoy the aesthetic of it... but of course there's a single solid reason... or else swords wouldn't have had them for like the last 2000 years.

People getting their hands chopped off in the other movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom