• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also noting that looks like the Crystal inside the lightsabre seems unstable due to the electrical energy moving?

Unstable

Like compressed crystals, unstable crystals were the result of the initiate failing to accurately replicate the natural formation processes of crystals. The blades generated by unstable crystals were obviously more unstable than the norm, causing the blades generated to crackle with energy at erratic intervals, sometimes causing sparks to fly or streaks of electrical energy to run along the length. Due to the energy sparking from the blade, unstable synth-crystals caused more damage than normal when they hit enemies. However, they were much more prone to shorting out, causing the lightsaber to deactivate for a time.[3]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
X-wings over water? Total boner
Millennium falcon + TIE fighters? Infinity boner

Weird lightsaber with side flames? It's no dearth maul double ender but i'll take it - guess they were going for a broadsword effect?

Generally fantastic.

-Amon-

Better than expected.

Don't like the sith, but can accept the light saber design.

Millenium Falcon design looks slighty modified ( square antenna on top, was circular )

Did not expect X-wings in atmosphere based OPS, the rebellion has other machinery for that.

Just to ask again - there is no way to purchase the original trilogy on blue ray, correct?

Only those fan made "HD" versions they put together from as much original footage as possible, right?

If you're talking about the pre-special-edition versions, there are rumors Disney is trying to do it, though they won't have the rights to the entire trilogy until 2020.

Ithil

You guys are way off base. No one disliking the hilt is doing so because they "don't like change".

I absolutely 100% guarantee a ton of people are disliking it solely because it's different. It's an extremely common kneejerk response.
That's not saying that's all of them, but most yes.

If the original lightsabers all had crossguards, and Episode 7 introduced one with no crossguard for the first time, many of the same people would call it lame and stupid looking.

AdanVC

So damn good!! It has that old school adventure feeling and I LOVE THAT! Everything
except that damn cross lightsaber haha
was awesomeeeeeeeeee. #Hypeee

jesu

Looking good!

I'm glad they never showed any of the original characters, don't want to see them until it's on the big screen now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ha... "no good reason for the cross guard"

looks at how many people got their hands lobbed off in the first 6 movies...

"what...?"

But even then, that doesn't include A New Hope. FOX own the rights for that original version until the end of time.

untrue.. fox owns nothing. Fox was always just the distributor. Lucas always self-funded all three movies.

Edit - to rephrase that, Fox DOES own distribution rights.. but not the actual movies. Not sure of the terms... but it's much like how Columbia Pictures used to have the distribution rights for the first three Muppet movies for DECADES but as a part of the Muppets sale Disney now has distribution rights to those three. Yet even then, Jim Henson company always actually owned the movies/copyright.

bill0527

So, let me get this straight:

you're ok with space ships, light-speed traveling, highly intelligent droids, the force, the dark side, a fucking death star, han understanding chewie's language, luke and leia being twins and looking nothing alike, jedi ghosts giving advice and a lot of shit like that...

but that slightly different lightsaber is stupid.

Yeah I think you've got it straight !!

Seriously though. The saber is fine. We don't know anything about the context or its owner or just how practical it may be in a fight.

raphier

Banned
I used to confuse JJ Abrams with Zack Snyder a lot and after this and MoS I remain dumb-founded. These guys have identical talent.

Monocle

"THEY CHANGED SOMETHING!"
Try again. It's actually because the design makes no sense at first glance, unless you assume the guard emitter is made of a lightsaber-resistant metal. Otherwise the user would channel an opponent's blade right into the vulnerable hilt.

Also, it looks like it would be easy to cut yourself on the guard blades.

MercuryLS

Banned
I can't think of a single, solid reason for that lightsaber design. It's unnecessary as a cross-guard. I'll just hope there's a good reason for it other than, "Let's show them a lightsaber they've never seen before!"

What if those pieces on the hilt can be shot out like a projectile? I'd wait to see what the practical usage is for it before condemning it.

Nyanmaruz

Is it just me or are they going back with the original thin bladed lightsabers again? I remember the prequels' lightsabers were thicker.

lewisgone

Never paid too much attention to Star Wars but I like the football droid. The Millennium Falcon is looking great too. I hope the movie turns out good, it's looking promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom