• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

I've decided that the only things keeping this from being the far and away best Smash game are the air dodge mechanics (should be limited to one dodge before landing, but no free fall state afterward) and no way to turn off stage hazards. I really do love the game, though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
How many custom hats are there? I am at 52.

55. Only 48 will show up on your stats page though since you start with 7.

Grabbed the last trophy I needed tonight:
zlCfzSyT_O0OGhOUjM

Happy to take a break for a bit after this and play through Captain Toad and some other stuff.

one_kill

I'm at around 400+ trophies atm, but I haven't been getting new ones lately. Is it because I've neglected Classic and All Star? I've been meaning to get to them, but I'm too focused on doing the Stadium-related challenges.

Crayolan

I'm at around 400+ trophies atm, but I haven't been getting new ones lately. Is it because I've neglected Classic and All Star? I've been meaning to get to them, but I'm too focused on doing the Stadium-related challenges.

Have you been buying things from the shop?

I've had the same thing happen to me but I'm around 600+ trophies. I've done Classic with every character and All Star with almost every character though, so that plus the character alt trophies which start showing up after you do classic accounts for a ~150 trophy difference. I'm still noticing a lot of new trophies in the shop (which I've neglected to buy things from), so I'm thinking there are a handful of trophies exclusive to the shop.

That, or different trophies show up on different difficulty levels and I missed out on a lot of "low-level" trophies since I barely ever did any classic under 7.0 or All Star below hard.

one_kill

I've had the same thing happen to me but I'm around 600+ trophies. I've done Classic with every character and All Star with almost every character though, so that plus the character alt trophies which start showing up after you do classic accounts for a ~150 trophy difference. I'm still noticing a lot of new trophies in the shop (which I've neglected to buy things from), so I'm thinking there are a handful of trophies exclusive to the shop.

That, or different trophies show up on different difficulty levels and I missed out on a lot of "low-level" trophies since I barely ever did any classic under 7.0 or All Star below hard.
Yeah, I've been checking the shop. Guess I just need to start doing Classic and All Star. Thanks for the response!

Cronox

Banned
So today I had a breakthrough. After so much frustration playing this game, especially frustration with my usual nair/fair approaches being read way too often (god damn landing lag in this game...), today I decided to play smart. And it really worked. I didn't mindlessly attack, I didn't jump off the stage to edge guard unless I saw an opportunity, I tried to break down my opponent's tactics from battle to battle, tried to vary my attacks, and tried not to mess around once I had the opponent in kill percentages... just tried to set them up for a kill move. I was using Bowser most of the night so that kill move tended to be a side b - a simple enough punish when they overextend.

I will say I ran into a couple things I still don't know what to do with. When an opponent grabs me as I come back on stage, as I mash to get out of it I often end up gimping myself, throwing an attack right as I get out of the throw, or tonight, I managed to dair myself off the edge as Bowser. Is the solution when being grabbed on the edge really to not struggle and just wait and see what the other player does?

I'm obligated to complain about something every time I post here, so here's the current one: I'm usually the guy that jumps around from character to character if I'm losing consistently (I mean, I'm doing the winner a favor by giving him combo practice against multiple characters, as far as I'm concerned), but I hadn't realized how annoying it is when someone who keeps winning keeps doing it. Not only are they winning every match, but any strategies I develop in between battles are out the window as they switch to a new character and playstyle each battle. What a dick move.

So today I had a breakthrough. After so much frustration playing this game, especially frustration with my usual nair/fair approaches being read way too often (god damn landing lag in this game...), today I decided to play smart. And it really worked. I didn't mindlessly attack, I didn't jump off the stage to edge guard unless I saw an opportunity, I tried to break down my opponent's tactics from battle to battle, tried to vary my attacks, and tried not to mess around once I had the opponent in kill percentages... just tried to set them up for a kill move. I was using Bowser most of the night so that kill move tended to be a side b - a simple enough punish when they overextend.

I will say I ran into a couple things I still don't know what to do with. When an opponent grabs me as I come back on stage, as I mash to get out of it I often end up gimping myself, throwing an attack right as I get out of the throw, or tonight, I managed to dair myself off the edge as Bowser. Is the solution when being grabbed on the edge really to not struggle and just wait and see what the other player does?

I'm obligated to complain about something every time I post here, so here's the current one: I'm usually the guy that jumps around from character to character if I'm losing consistently (I mean, I'm doing the winner a favor by giving him combo practice against multiple characters, as far as I'm concerned), but I hadn't realized how annoying it is when someone who keeps winning keeps doing it. Not only are they winning every match, but any strategies I develop in between battles are out the window as they switch to a new character and playstyle each battle. What a dick move.

Don't do nothing. Try to DI your mash toward the stage.

Also I often swap my characters out regardless of how well I'm doing. Not a dick move at all.

Here are some avatars I cropped if anyone wants them:

vKHHBJV.jpg
vGxstT6.jpg
ulqgAjo.jpg
0JROLyq.jpg

JLyCXXr.jpg
ULqTbnu.jpg
0AsmyqM.jpg
BIOwP3W.jpg

JoeInky

No Great Fox stage in this game is disgusting. DISGUSTING.

Orbital Gate Assault doesn't count because it's a whole 8 seconds out of 2 minute loop.

I don't mash while being grabbed. It opens you up for traps. I am amazed every time I grab release and hit someone with a jab. Just chill and take the small beating, IMO.

Also, if you ever want me to stick with one character when we play, let me know.

55. Only 48 will show up on your stats page though since you start with 7.

Grabbed the last trophy I needed tonight:

Happy to take a break for a bit after this and play through Captain Toad and some other stuff.
Thanks! I got them all via Smash Tour.

No Great Fox stage in this game is disgusting. DISGUSTING.

Orbital Gate Assault doesn't count because it's a whole 8 seconds out of 2 minute loop.
Yes.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Merry Smashmas! :) i'm training on my 3DS all reggie style to be able to put up a fight with you lot come the new year

I'm pretty proud of my 10-man Smash GSP...

ZY3uT1m.jpg

Dedede's the slowest time, Lucario's the fastest.

Although, I guess technically my HRC GSP is more impressive...

LhuWdf5.jpg

Again, Zelda's selected to show my lowest. Are there really over 406,748 people who have played HRC?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Unsure on the accuracy of this, but the last post here seems to indicate that there are a number of shop exclusive trophies: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70799961

Don't forget about the Mii Fighters as well, those 6 are easy to overlook. Of course there are also a handful you only get from challenges as well.

Durden77

So I think I've decided that I really hate the single player stuff in this game.

Between the completely fucked up difficulty thanks to equipment (that I don't want to use, especially in classic hence the name, and shouldn't have to, partially because it's set up like garbage), All-Star mode being the all-or-nothing-cross-your-fingers-smash-attack fest thanks to the launch rate, some of the worst events I've ever seen in the series, (Kirby's Crazy Appetite is terrible on so many levels), and the general fact that fighting CPU's in smash is very unrewarding, you've got a wonderful recipe for straight frustration.

Where as I used to kinda relish in the mindless Smash grind, even to a point in the 3DS version, I dread it in this game.

So I think I've decided that I really hate the single player stuff in this game.

Between the completely fucked up difficulty thanks to equipment (that I don't want to use, especially in classic hence the name, and shouldn't have to, partially because it's set up like garbage), All-Star mode being the all-or-nothing-cross-your-fingers-smash-attack fest thanks to the launch rate, some of the worst events I've ever seen in the series, (Kirby's Crazy Appetite is terrible on so many levels), and the general fact that fighting CPU's in smash is very unrewarding, you've got a wonderful recipe for straight frustration.

Where as I used to kinda relish in the mindless Smash grind, even to a point in the 3DS version, I dread it in this game.

Stadium?

Yeah it ain't great, the fact that numerous modes feel like they're out to kill you with fate screwing you over in ways that Frantic mode Mario Kart can't even match is certainly something.
The deluge of potent items, whacked out launch ratios, chaotic clusterfucks and so on are often more annoying than they are fun.
And stadium is old hat, it's hard to muster up any interest in doing those outside the specific challenges which do at least get the single player modes toured in a variety of ways.

Durden77

Stadium's cool. No beef there and definitely where I have the most consistent fun in SP. Kinda wish Target Smash could've returned, but I understand why it didn't and I wouldn't have wanted the Brawl version anyway.

Nice GSPs btw. I'd like to focus on pumpin those up myself once I'm done torturing myself with all these other mode's challenges.

Top Bottom