• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I didn't do anything to this outside of assemble it, but this was my first Gunpla and it's neat to see it finished!

24yn4mb.jpg

That one above this one looks totally awesome. My tools are totally sucky and useless and can't cut close to the edges so there are spurs all over everything. I also didn't bother sandpapering much cause didn't see much point with just my screw-around attempt. Gonna try to track down some of those clippers that get right up to the edge...

Just finished putting together a 1/144 HG Unicorn Destroy Mode. Fuck that took forever, but it's just amazing.

I really want to get the HG Kshatriya, but it's still too expensive right now. I'm trying to decide between getting the antiship Stark Jegan, the Hi-v Gundam, the Garazzo from 00 because it looks very Orbital Frame-ish, or waiting on the Gundam X.

serfr

Neo Member
Question: I used spur-cutters and a hobby knife to cut the nubs off, but the area where the nubs were still looks horrible. (scratched and indented) If I used fine sandpaper on the areas and brushed on some clear coat, would that help make them look better?

Mr. Pointy said:
Just finished putting together a 1/144 HG Unicorn Destroy Mode. Fuck that took forever, but it's just amazing.

I really want to get the HG Kshatriya, but it's still too expensive right now. I'm trying to decide between getting the antiship Stark Jegan, the Hi-v Gundam, the Garazzo from 00 because it looks very Orbital Frame-ish, or waiting on the Gundam X.

The Kshatriya looks awesome, but I'm saving my money for the 1:100 resin kit. However, with what you have listed, I'd go with the Hi-v. Looks pretty good.

serfr said:
Question: I used spur-cutters and a hobby knife to cut the nubs off, but the area where the nubs were still looks horrible. (scratched and indented) If I used fine sandpaper on the areas and brushed on some clear coat, would that help make them look better?
What model kit are you building? If you are going to paint, then those little nubs are going to disappear if you cut them entirely off when you do paint. If not, shaving very delicately with the exacto knife is key, even then sometimes you'll get an unsightly nub-scar. Sanding doesn't always look the best if you're not going to paint it over.

I'm getting ready to make a how-to for exactly what you're asking about, so luckily I have some pics.

1-4535-94255-l-5PnJUxdFMzztSGMaZ5JKaQ.jpg

^^ This is how I shave off the nubs with the exacto knife. I press the blade against the piece, and slowly shave down by pressing on the top of the blade with the hand not holding the knife's handle. Lesson learned: Shave SLOWLY!! If you press hard like a cave man to cut off the nub, it will *pop* off by force, and cause stress marks (white/lightened colored plastic) where it essentially snapped off. Make sure you shave less material off than more material - simply because it is easier to control the snapping off of the nub, which you don't want.

1-4535-94256-l-VFlRh1VKetq0X4zcfGdaA.jpg

^^This is without sanding. The result isn't always this good though, and I'll have a sanding guide up too. I'll post the link to my blog once it's up. Probably within the next 2-3 days.

serfr

Neo Member
Originally posted by Major Williams:
What model kit are you building?

I finally started my PG MKII, working on the inner-frame shoulder sections. Most nub-areas look ok, but 2 areas have the ugly scar with bonus blade scratches. I was thinking of buying clear coat and some "wet or dry sandpaper 1000 grit" or something similar to somehow hide the scratches and scars, but as you stated, it may not help.

I'm getting ready to make a how-to for exactly what you're asking about, so luckily I have some pics.

Nice! Thanks for posting!

Major Williams said:
The Kshatriya looks awesome, but I'm saving my money for the 1:100 resin kit. However, with what you have listed, I'd go with the Hi-v. Looks pretty good.
The Hi-v does look pretty good, I'm leaning towards that one. I'm kind of looking for some more of the unconventional Gundams or enemy units as well, but I don't know what the quality ones are.

Mr. Pointy said:
The Hi-v does look pretty good, I'm leaning towards that one. I'm kind of looking for some more of the unconventional Gundams or enemy units as well, but I don't know what the quality ones are.
I personally like the non-conventional ones. The Sinanju is easily one of the highest quality MG kits you could make, and the Kshatriya is very unique looking - especially the resin kit.

Outside of these guys, I would say there are a few that are pretty good looking - check out dalong.net (if you haven't yet). The links on top link to a near-comprehensive list with pictures of the models that have come out. Should help you in your search.

Edit:

Posted a guide that I felt needed to exist - Nub management and removal. It can be wordy at times, but I wanted to be detailed for those who needed it. It's one of the most foundational and simple parts of gundam building, but if done improperly, can lead to very poor results.

Shiv47

Major Williams said:
Posted a guide that I felt needed to exist - Nub management and removal. It can be wordy at times, but I wanted to be detailed for those who needed it. It's one of the most foundational and simple parts of gundam building, but if done improperly, can lead to very poor results.

The guide is a very cool idea, but I think you mean "repository" at the end, not "suppository." Rather a different thing... ;)

S. L.

Mr. Pointy said:
As far as I am concerned Federation and Gundam units are enemy units :D

Man! I dont know if it's because of Unicorn finally coming out, but I have bought the 1/444 HG Unicorn Destroy, the SD version of the same model, and as a surprise, my girlfriend has bought the Unicorn ver. Ka as a future gift for me!

Putting together these models has been a blast, last one I did was years and years ago, an old HG <or was it MG> Wing Zero Custom, and that one came out beautiful even without painting it. I may consider panel lining the MG Unicorn however, does anyone have recommendations?

S. L.

there is a wishlist survey on the japanese Bandai site for upcoming MG kits :D :D . Make sure to vote for your favorites:
http://bandai-hobbyproshop.net/gunpla30th/regist.php
1 The O --- "Gundam Zeta"
2 Psycho Gundam (O_O) --- "Gundam Zeta"
3 Baund Doc --- "Gundam Zeta"
4 Marasai --- "Gundam Zeta"
5 Doven Wolf --- "Gundam Double Zeta"
6 Dreissen --- "Gundam Double Zeta"
7 Turn X --- "Turn A Gundam"
8 V2 Gundam --- "Victory Gundam"
9 Gundam Double X --- "Gundam X"
10 Gundam Virsago --- "Gundam X"
11 Nobel Gundam --- "G Gundam"
12 Gundam Deathscythe --- "Gundam W"
13 Gundam Heavyarms --- "Gundam W"
14 Gundam Sandrock --- "Gundam W"
15 Shenlong Gundam --- "Gundam W"
16 Gundam Epyon --- "Gundam W"
17 Tallgeese --- "Gundam W"
18 Legend Gundam --- "Gundam SEED Destiny"
19 Akatsuki Gundam --- "Gundam SEED Destiny"
20 00 Raiser --- "Gundam Double O"
21 Cherudim Gundam --- "Gundam Double O"
22 Arios Gundam --- "Gundam Double O"
23 Seravee Gundam --- "Gundam Double O"
24 Reborns Gundam --- "Gundam Double O"
25 Susanowo --- "Gundam Double O"
26 Arche Gundam --- "Gundam Double O"
27 Kshatriya --- "Gundam UC"
28 ReZEL --- "Gundam UC"
29 Stark Jegan --- "Gundam UC"
30 Geara Zulu --- "Gundam UC"
31 Others
the top three boxes are for
- State of residence
- Occupation
- I buy x MG per year

also you have to choose at least 3 kits.

source
http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/03/mg-wishlist-ms-survey.html

Mrcapcom

I wanted to build my 1/144 I was thinking of using grey to panel line but I don't have anything but a pencil lol
Anyone ever use a pencil to do like a light grey panel lining? Oh yea its the Unicorn Mode 1/144:D

S. L. said:
there is a wishlist survey on the japanese Bandai site for upcoming MG kits :D :D . Make sure to vote for your favorites:
http://bandai-hobbyproshop.net/gunpla30th/regist.php

the top three boxes are for
- State of residence
- Occupation
- I buy x MG per year

also you have to choose at least 3 kits.

source
http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2010/03/mg-wishlist-ms-survey.html

Thanks! Voted!

27. Kshatriya, 28. Rezel, and then I was debating between 7. Turn X and 3. Baund Doc (cool head), but I ultimately went with 7. Turn X - Baund Doc's body i just a little too weird for me.

What did you vote for?

Also, fixed the suppository comment lol... Thanks for that. I work in the medical industry, can you tell?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I have a few kinda noobish questions that I can't really seem to find decent answers for anywhere on the internet, so maybe you all can help me! Hear me out.

I finished my first model and did one of the SD Generations the other day, and have started on my first "real" one that I am kinda actually paying attention to when it comes to clipping neatly and using my knife to trim stubs and do some panel lining and accenting with my fine and chisel tip Gundam markers. This is all well and good. I have no desire to PAINT the whole damned thing, but am making small hand-painted additions. This is on the new Awakening Eva unit 01 model that came out (coloring the entry plug, the red plugs on the bolts, etc.). This stuff is going alright.

One thing that it has been made kinda clear to me that seems I could really help my model along is merely to, at the end, apply a top coat, a matte coating, to kinda lock in my handpainting/panel lining/gundam markering and leave it with a nice finish.

Now I can find information on what coating to use, and it being in a spray can and all that, but what I am not clear on is how I actually do it. Do I just set the thing up and spray it all over? Do I need to disassemble it somehow and then top coat it (seems counter-productive)? Can I just separate the bigger parts and spray them?

Nowhere that I can find really tells how to top coat a finished model. I was hoping someone could provide a little insight!

Thanks!

S. L.

lobdale said:
I have a few kinda noobish questions that I can't really seem to find decent answers for anywhere on the internet, so maybe you all can help me! Hear me out.

I finished my first model and did one of the SD Generations the other day, and have started on my first "real" one that I am kinda actually paying attention to when it comes to clipping neatly and using my knife to trim stubs and do some panel lining and accenting with my fine and chisel tip Gundam markers. This is all well and good. I have no desire to PAINT the whole damned thing, but am making small hand-painted additions. This is on the new Awakening Eva unit 01 model that came out (coloring the entry plug, the red plugs on the bolts, etc.). This stuff is going alright.

One thing that it has been made kinda clear to me that seems I could really help my model along is merely to, at the end, apply a top coat, a matte coating, to kinda lock in my handpainting/panel lining/gundam markering and leave it with a nice finish.

Now I can find information on what coating to use, and it being in a spray can and all that, but what I am not clear on is how I actually do it. Do I just set the thing up and spray it all over? Do I need to disassemble it somehow and then top coat it (seems counter-productive)? Can I just separate the bigger parts and spray them?

Nowhere that I can find really tells how to top coat a finished model. I was hoping someone could provide a little insight!

Thanks!
yeah, separate into bigger parts. like arms, torso, legs, etc. Then try to hold them with clamps on their male joint parts and spray them.
Alternatively you can lay the parts flat on some piece of newspaper or so, spray them. let them dry. turn around and spray again. the first method is preferable thou.

Make sure to shake the can well before spraying. Also warming up the can is a good idea for a smoother spray. just dip it in hot water for a bit, then spray a THIN coat and let it dry a bit. Spray another/more thin coats if needed, else let it completely cure overnight. Done.

you can use Tamiya, Gunze or other hobby brands
img_50657qu6.jpg

Gunze Mr Top Coat Flat
ltamr5080gsob.jpg

Tamiya Flat Coat (TS-80)

to the guy below, sure pencil will work.

Mrcapcom

DSC00015.jpg

With Flash
DSC00019.jpg

Last kit I finished a couple weeks back.
Still tryin to get the hang of snapping better photos

I dunno if anyone saw my post above lol but whats a good idea for panel lining the 1/144 HG Unicorn Mode Unicorn Gundam? I was thinking maybe pencils but I usually panel line black, I kinda want a grey/light grey color still trying to figure out what to do, welcoming ideas :)

Mrcapcom said:
*images*
Last kit I finished a couple weeks back.
Still tryin to get the hang of snapping better photos

I dunno if anyone saw my post above lol but whats a good idea for panel lining the 1/144 HG Unicorn Mode Unicorn Gundam? I was thinking maybe pencils but I usually panel line black, I kinda want a grey/light grey color still trying to figure out what to do, welcoming ideas :)
Looks great! Those hands are weird but cool looking. Makes for some interesting poses I bet. For better pics, I would use 2-3 different light sources (all same luminosity) to eliminate weird shadows.
For panel lining with pencils, you can do that, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you do, I would use some tape to mark a straight line across your piece then trace along it to make straight lines (better than a ruler). I would wholly recommend even an Exacto knife to etch your lines ($2.50), it's what the guys use on the TV shows in SL's blog.

An update on my unicorn:
1-4535-94334-l-pXixCr2SbyOC1aVoeAbg.jpg

Finished sanding and pre-assembled.

Began painting and testing my gold (see results in my blog), but here is the result of the gold. Looks fantastic IMO.
1-4535-94384-l-NciyTGggIwptdJfxqkrHqg.jpg

Mrcapcom

On the G Gundam hands I sprayed them with matte clear by accident lol if anything ill just paint them clear orange/red later.

As far as what you said you mean etch where? and hwo do I fill the color in? lol this is the 1/144 kit I will panel line my MG (whenever I can find one with cage smh) with red lines cause hes gonna be in destroy mode :)

Mrcapcom said:
On the G Gundam hands I sprayed them with matte clear by accident lol if anything ill just paint them clear orange/red later.

As far as what you said you mean etch where? and hwo do I fill the color in? lol this is the 1/144 kit I will panel line my MG (whenever I can find one with cage smh) with red lines cause hes gonna be in destroy mode :)
If you have lighter fluid, use that, but if not, use thinner and paint. Go slightly heavy on the thinner, then with your paintbrush wet with paint, dab into the panels lines (even the ones you create with the knife). It will flow like water into the cracks. To clean up where your paintbrush hit the piece, get a q-tip soaked in thinner, and wipe it lightly along the surface of the piece against the line. Should clean up all the bad edges.

You can even do this with red paint to get red lines.

Shouta

I found out they're doing a release (or a remake maybe?) of the HG Gundam X and it's being released next week. I guess that's why it wasn't on the MG list. Gonna pick that up for sure though, I can't seem to find an old GX kit anymore.

S. L.

Shouta said:
I found out they're doing a release (or a remake maybe?) of the HG Gundam X and it's being released next week. I guess that's why it wasn't on the MG list. Gonna pick that up for sure though, I can't seem to find an old GX kit anymore.
it's a completely new kit i think.

Mrcapcom

wow that seems a bit hard whats the technique called ? like washing or something? Got any youtube vids? I never tried it before. Thanks for the input

Mrcapcom said:
wow that seems a bit hard whats the technique called ? like washing or something? Got any youtube vids? I never tried it before. Thanks for the input
I would seriously recommend visiting S.L.'s blog (he linked to it on a few posts here) he has quite a few awesome modeling vids up from Japan. I found some vids for ya from his blog -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_WT4WYYHy0&fmt=18
Start @ around 3:50. She does red panel lines with acrylic thinner and very clearly shows you how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YZeQRYvy7Q
Start @ around 7:03. He does black panel lines using lighter fluid - and does a FANTASTIC job of showing you how.

Makes me regret ever buying the gundam markers lol.

Mrcapcom

Thanks imma watch them now I usually use Micron .005 for my panel lining I might try this washing thing hopefully its not that hard :-(

EDIT
@ S.L Didnt notice you replied to me lol If I did use pencil though will it be ok if I used a Matte Coat on top?

I'm tryin to figure out how to do this wash thing but I usually use Tamiya paints and krylon fusion. so I'm not sure whats the best combo with everything being acrylic

S. L.

Mrcapcom said:
Thanks imma watch them now I usually use Micron .005 for my panel lining I might try this washing thing hopefully its not that hard :-(

EDIT
@ S.L Didnt notice you replied to me lol If I did use pencil though will it be ok if I used a Matte Coat on top?

I'm tryin to figure out how to do this wash thing but I usually use Tamiya paints and krylon fusion. so I'm not sure whats the best combo with everything being acrylic
yeah it's fine.

G-Saviour. It's kinda like watching an episode of Andromeda that had only half the budget.

In that context, it's sort of alright. Of course, as a Gundam, it's shit.

Mr. Pointy said:
G-Saviour. It's kinda like watching an episode of Andromeda that had only half the budget.

In that context, it's sort of alright. Of course, as a Gundam, it's shit.
Ouch. What made you want to watch that abortion of a show? :lol

B.K.

Some Gundam news for everyone today.

The Viz Cinema theater in San Fransisco is marathoning the three Mobile Suit Gundam movies this Saturday.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-04-07/gundam-trilogy-sakuran-yatterman-run-in-california

Bandai is finally releasing the Zeta Gundam movies in America. They're releasing all three on June 22. There's going to be a boxset with all three for $65 or you can buy them separately for $25 each. They're sub only, just like the three Mobile Suit Gundam movies.

http://www.animenation.net/blog/2010/04/07/bandai-schedules-z-gundam-movies/

Z-Gundam_movies_R1.jpg

Xater

So I got my Gundam Unicorn kit, colors and an airbrush set. Now I need to know what I should use to fill seams. S.L. do you think Plasto from Revell would be a good choice?

S. L.

Xater said:
So I got my Gundam Unicorn kit, colors and an airbrush set. Now I need to know what I should use to fill seams. S.L. do you think Plasto from Revell would be a good choice?
looks like normal putty, should be fine. I don't think the unicorn has many, if any seams. the newer kits are pretty elaborate in that regard.

Xater

S. L. said:
looks like normal putty, should be fine. I don't think the unicorn has many, if any seams. the newer kits are pretty elaborate in that regard.

Found some Mr. White Putty in a hobby shop. Now I am good to go. Well first I will have to find some time. :lol

Blader

B.K. said:
Bandai is finally releasing the Zeta Gundam movies in America. They're releasing all three on June 22. There's going to be a boxset with all three for $65 or you can buy them separately for $25 each. They're sub only, just like the three Mobile Suit Gundam movies.

http://www.animenation.net/blog/2010/04/07/bandai-schedules-z-gundam-movies/

It took them five years for them to do this and it's not even dubbed? smh

On the bright side, maybe now I can watch them without having to suffer through the thousands of kisamas and other subbing bullshit in every other line.

robox

Blader5489 said:
I had a big Gundam binge last summer, but got burned out and never got around to X or Turn A. After seeing Unicorn, I decided to give those two another try. X bored me to tears (the first OP is very nice though). Nine episodes into Turn A so far, it hasn't been all that exciting, but it is interesting.

quoting old post but the search led me to the page with that on it.

watching gundam x and it's turning out to be pretty enjoyable. garrod is like a less douchey version of judau. the happy go lucky, with less baggage.
got up to where kadoc shows up, who ends up being a cool dude, in a ramba ral sorta way.

Blader5489 said:
It took them five years for them to do this and it's not even dubbed? smh

On the bright side, maybe now I can watch them without having to suffer through the thousands of kisamas and other subbing bullshit in every other line.

Seeing the huge loss that Zeta Gundam TV series was for Bandai Ent, I'm surprised they are even bothering with the movies. I would have been even more surprised if they wasted time dubbing it.

Xater said:
What colors did you go with? Banshee colors? :)

Also, what kind of airbrush/airtank? Exciting! Lots of dough you just invested my friend!

I just got home from nine days in Japan, but before heading to the airport, I took an early morning train out to Kami Igusa to check out their bronze Gundam statue outside the train station. If you're headed over to Tokyo and don't mind spending a couple early morning hours getting there and back, it's kind of fun. Sunrise has a building near the station, and many of the buildings on the main street have Gundam artwork on them. The jingle for Kami Igusa station is even part of "Tobe Gundam."

28a7z9f.jpg

29f2zqw.jpg

xknos9.jpg

2149vlu.jpg

dg535w.jpg

Alucrid said:
Just awesome. One day I hope to go to Japan just to walk around Tokyo the entire time. :lol

My wife and I have been to Japan twice (2006 and 2010) and just walking around is one of the best things to do.

Just finished my PG 00. Did a few minor mods around the shoulder area, plus bulked up the waist slightly. Overall, really nice kit.

If you're going to paint it, DO NOT paint the chest ring and the shoulder parts that slide around it. The shoulders on mine are pretty much stuck and don't move up anymore, it really needs smooth bare plastic to slide around properly.

Now onto the O Raiser!...

PG1.jpg

PG4.jpg

PG3.jpg

PG5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom