• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

I took a peek inside the RG Mk2.

/cry

I might be the only one, but I really think the stickers look awful and that RG's are far worse off when you try to use all of them.

Some of the Stickers can help, like the 01/2/3 on RG MK II, but all the piping stickers are garbage and at least I think the RG's should just skip them.

CorvoSol

So in Zeta Gundam 26 there are more flapping flags in space. And while the "it's cuz the MS is in motion!" holds up fair enough, it falls apart the moment that the stupid Hi-Zak lands on the Argama and the flag is still waving. In the opposite direction of the Hi-Zak.

I'm gonna just say it got caught in a cosmic minovsky breeze.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So in Zeta Gundam 26 there are more flapping flags in space. And while the "it's cuz the MS is in motion!" holds up fair enough, it falls apart the moment that the stupid Hi-Zak lands on the Argama and the flag is still waving. In the opposite direction of the Hi-Zak.

I'm gonna just say it got caught in a cosmic minovsky breeze.
This is going to get real once we start talking about the holo-flags that wave and move. I forget which series that was though, probably 00?

CorvoSol

This is going to get real once we start talking about the holo-flags that wave and move. I forget which series that was though, probably 00?

When F91 introduced Beam Everything it was clear that it was time to stop pretending that anything had to make sense in any way at all.

Bombless

Bearguy = Bestguy. Such a great and fun kit.
0n2AluX.jpg

Wubby

Bandai must have done a recent restocking of the original Beargguy and Beargguy-san. After months of not seeing any the shops finally have them back in stock. I bought another Beargguy-san.

Bombless

Bandai must have done a recent restocking of the original Beargguy and Beargguy-san. After months of not seeing any the shops finally have them back in stock. I bought another Beargguy-san.
I would love a couple more faceplates for Bearguy-san. Thinking about getting a new one for that.

Beth Cyra

G Gundam fans should be very happy.

God and Master have had Robot Damashii's formally announced and shown. They look good, the Master in particular looks like they put a lot more work into him when it comes to detail then they did God. Then again God as a lead never had a whole lot of detail going on just like Wing and X that followed him.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
G Gundam fans should be very happy.

God and Master have had Robot Damashii's formally announced and shown. They look good, the Master in particular looks like they put a lot more work into him when it comes to detail then they did God. Then again God as a lead never had a whole lot of detail going on just like Wing and X that followed him.

God Gundam has FANTASTIC lines. It's the racecar of the the bog standard hero gundam designs.

Bombless

FRIENDS 4 LIEF

My girlfriend and I finally got to episode 9 of Build Fighters, and the hype was real.
Holy shit, does that episode sell Beargguy. I'm glad I got her what she would have asked for anyways. lol

Haha! There'll be more Bearguy III down the road in GBF, but yeah, that episode was just instabuy. There's no resisting Bestguy.

Beth Cyra

God Gundam has FANTASTIC lines. It's the racecar of the the bog standard hero gundam designs.

Don't really agree with this. They slimmed him down more so then he normally is to give him a more athletic build (actually the suit closest in design type from line art to RD would actually be the AGE-1 Normal release) but I don't see anything stand out about it's lining from say Wing/DX/F91.

Edit: Wait, I guess you mean the think black panel lines on the Waist, Shoulders, and Feet in the line art? To me that was more tacky then anything and was one of the worst design choices made in the creation of God.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
When F91 introduced Beam Everything it was clear that it was time to stop pretending that anything had to make sense in any way at all.
And then V happened.

Blader

Rewatching Unicorn has made it painfully clear that Bangher and Riddhe are HUGE LOSERS.

I love the OVA, think it's one of the best things with the Gundam name on it, and can sing praises about virtually every aspect of it...except two of its leads, who are completely infantile and (particularly in Riddhe's case) get bent out of shape over every little thing.

Rewatching Unicorn has made it painfully clear that Bangher and Riddhe are HUGE LOSERS.

I am sorry what? The dude who just randomly jacked a maintenance vehicle to save the princess of space from certain death is a huge loser? Also said princes of space totally wants his dick merely moments after she saw him? Banagher probably gonna get more action than Amuro.

CorvoSol

And then V happened.

V's Beam Helicopters and Space Wheels and Boats on Wheels and Bubbletape are insane, yes, but that insanity did give us Mustachio'd Butterfly World Destroying Gundam.

God I wish I could afford the full Turn A and wings.

I am sorry what? The dude who just randomly jacked a maintenance vehicle to save the princess of space from certain death is a huge loser? Also said princes of space totally wants his dick merely moments after she saw him? Banagher probably gonna get more action than Amuro.

I think it's the other way round in Episode 1. Audrey didn't want anything to do with Banagher back then while Banagher couldn't stop going on about Audrey.

CorvoSol

Doesn't she totally reject him at one point and then turn around later? I could've sworn she wasn't in to him at first.

Ken

Doesn't she totally reject him at one point and then turn around later? I could've sworn she wasn't in to him at first.

You mean when they're at Cardeas Vist's house? I think she turns around like, 20 mins later when the colony gets attacked.

You really misread that scene.

Yes it was "I like you too much to put you in danger this random person I just me today and already want to jump on top of! Please understand and let me pretend to be this strong independent person that I am supposed to be while putting myself in danger so you end rescuing me anyway"

CorvoSol

On that note, what is the official spelling? Frau or Fraw? Because I've seen it both ways and the w kinda drives me nuts. Kinda like I'm not a big fan of "Karn" over "Khan."

Mandoric

Banned
On that note, what is the official spelling? Frau or Fraw? Because I've seen it both ways and the w kinda drives me nuts. Kinda like I'm not a big fan of "Karn" over "Khan."

Karn is definitely right over Khan. I want to saw Fraw is correct over Frau, I'm 99% sure, but I don't have my reference material handy right this second.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
They just started using beams for more practical applications like rotors instead of purely decorative flags.
It was meant as a jab to V as whole, but talking only about beam thingies it did went insane anyway :p

V's Beam Helicopters and Space Wheels and Boats on Wheels and Bubbletape are insane, yes, but that insanity did give us Mustachio'd Butterfly World Destroying Gundam.

God I wish I could afford the full Turn A and wings.
Turn A was so insane it wrapped around and became totally normal.

Hi Gundam-GAF, Gunpla experts,

I hope you guys can assist me with certain questions I have regarding Gundam model kits. I have some novice, newbie questions and I hope you guys can ask them even though they might sound ridiculous. I scrolled through previous pages of this thread to see the gunpla works of some of the GAF members here. And they are truly amazing.

First, question regarding gundam model kits, gunpla. Is painting really required? Like is it a must, is there no way just to build the gundam, is there no preexisting colour on the pieces. Why is painting required? Painting to me seems time consuming and an investment in time I don't think I can make and expect good results, for I have no artistic skills whatsoever.

Another question involves the dimensions of the models. What is a size approximation of some of these models, is it possible to have one say the size of a Power Ranger action figure. Not too big not too little. I have seen big sizes, the biggest problem I see in that is storing the model somewhere due to the size.

Can anyone link me their find guide for beginners or recommend certain models that would appeal to beginners as well.

Anyway, any feedback will be appreciated.

Ken

painting isn't required but the plastic tends to not be as color accurate (?) and painting helps it get there...I think. I personally don't paint my kits because of the cost and shipping barrier but I think they look fine without it. but no, there is preexisting color on the pieces.

if i can find an action figure I'll take a picture of it next to a 1/144. i don't have any 1/100s made on me at the moment but i'm sure someone can help with that.

1 - Painting isn't required on many of the modern kits, but it can really make a kit really stand out. Is painting time consuming? Yes, but it is worth it. Modern kits are molded pretty close to the colors of the suits they're based on. Older kits, like from the 80s and 90s almost needed to be painted though. I mean, they ARE model kits after all. It kind of comes with the territory. We're lucky the injections are as varied in color as they are these days.

2 - They come in various scales.

High Grades: 1/144 scale. Most kits stand about 5 inches or so. Some of the taller suits are about 6-7 inches. I think the Neo Zeong is going to be about 2 feet.

Master Grade: 1/100 scale. About 7 inches or so.

Perfect Grade: 1/60 scale. About a foot or so.

Gunpla isn't terribly difficult in terms of construction. Even the master grades are easily built if you're just going to snap together. As a starting point, I recommend any HGUC kit made after 2005 since there were big leaps in build quality around that time

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/High_Grade_Universal_Century

Really though, you should just pick out a mobile suit you like, and track down a kit of that. Avoid No Grades (generally speaking, older kits) though. They're pretty bad by modern standards

Ken

i found a random power ranger in my room so here you go

that's a 1/144 GM Sniper K9 and the 1/144 Unicorn I'm working on. The manual on the left is for the High Grade Unicorn; if it looks pretty simple to read that's because it is.

like i mentioned before I unfortunately don't have a 1/100 on me for comparison; maybe later when I get to my jesta.

oh i found part of my 1/100 strike noire that got wrecked when i was away for school. :(

Thanks for the response guys, appreciate it. So I love that size comparison Ken. Most model kits are HG 1:144, isn't that the new standard?

I will post of models that I am considering purchasing soon. Any recommendations or favorites you guys have would be appreciated. Doesn't matter how old either. But I hope to go no earlier than SEED HG models. I wanna be able to get the model kits that are still accessible.

Ken

I don't know about standard but I'd imagine it's just easier to get more suits out as HGs than trying to give everything a MG version.

Bombless

Thanks for the response guys, appreciate it. So I love that size comparison Ken. Most model kits are HG 1:144, isn't that the new standard?

I will post of models that I am considering purchasing soon. Any recommendations or favorites you guys have would be appreciated. Doesn't matter how old either. But I hope to go no earlier than SEED HG models. I wanna be able to get the model kits that are still accessible.

I picked up LaGOWE and 3 BaCUEs in honour of Gundam EX VS and was delighted with them. I have to admit though that their age is showing. Bearguy blows them out of the water in terms of ease of build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom