• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Karn is definitely right over Khan. I want to saw Fraw is correct over Frau, I'm 99% sure, but I don't have my reference material handy right this second.

I wanna say the dub calls her Khan, but given the quality of the dub I don't think that's much to argue on, haha.

The subs I have now are really weird though. They spell Kamille with a C and they call the ship the "Agama" no R.

Ken

HG Unicorn finished. Pretty fun kit and the legs are so much sturdier than the GM Sniper's. Shield to arm clamp is pretty flimsy though, as are the elbows. Still upset it didn't come with a beam magnum!

ihC7doOA9QgVl.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I got confused by the Karn/Khan thing too. At least from reading around it seems like Bandai is pretty terrible at translating stuff, and keeping consistency at that (Bajeena/Karn/Phenex).

Enron

Banned
HG Unicorn finished. Pretty fun kit and the legs are so much sturdier than the GM Sniper's. Shield to arm clamp is pretty flimsy though, as are the elbows. Still upset it didn't come with a beam magnum!

Wow, that thing really does need painting, or at the very least, panel lining!

Beth Cyra

G Gundam Fans have something to be way happier about then God and Master.

Bandai announced SH FIgure Arts of Domon and Master Asia.

Char was also announced and shown.

Enron

Banned

God and Master Damashiis are coming this summer, too. Along with x1, x2, x3 and blue destiny

CorvoSol

If Domon and Master both come with Finger hands then I'd be pretty damn excited. Throw in Rain in her capedress and I'll buy the lot plus the Master, Rising and Devil Gundams just so I can fucking stop spending all my goddamn money on G Gundam wet dreams.

Who am I kidding. I won't stop until I have Nether Gundam and Mammoth Gundam on my shelf.

Beth Cyra

If Domon and Master both come with Finger hands then I'd be pretty damn excited. Throw in Rain in her capedress and I'll buy the lot plus the Master, Rising and Devil Gundams just so I can fucking stop spending all my goddamn money on G Gundam wet dreams.

Who am I kidding. I won't stop until I have Nether Gundam and Mammoth Gundam on my shelf.

Im not expecting Devil Gundam. We still haven't gotten any mobile armors or things much more popular like Nightingale so I think it will be a very long time before Devil even has a shot.

Rising on the other hand is almost assured. Damashii recolors/modifys aren't unheared of, and with how often we see Bandai Hobby Shops, Rising will come. We just need to see if it's a standard release or a online exclusive.

Sadly stuff that is much more popular like Deathscythe have been online so Rising could easily go that way to.

I can't get over the fact that they actually made ZZZ Gundam into a real figure. I never thought they would.

Enron

Banned
It's weird because there were already X1, X2, and X3 Damashiis, which followed the Katoki lineart. The new ones look like they are based more on the manga designs instead.

Were those damashiis? I dont follow gundam toys very closely anymore, but i remember there were GFF Crossbones that were ver. Ka at one point.

Finished Gundam 00.

I can easily see the complaints people have with this show's second season. The show is all over the place and doesn't have a clear focus on anything.

It's a shame, because somewhere in here lies a legitimately good Gundam show. But the problem here is that there's way too many characters for the show to handle. I normally love shows with lots of characters, but those only work for shows that go on for more than 100 episodes or so. Here, there's too many plot threads the show has to resolve and when they do get resolved, it's usually in a really half-assed way.

The final battle between Setsuna and
Grahm
, a plot point they've been building up for pratically the entire series, is very short and not exactly very fufilling.

The entire enigmatic Wang Liu Mei subplot is never fully explained. It's just spread out in tiny bits and pieces over the course of the show.

Louise
got hit with a magic light from Setsuna and now she's suddenly okay and nice again? Da hell is this crap >_<

Still though, there were quite a few things I enjoyed about Gundam 00. The first season as I've said before, I think is legit good at least. The designs of the mechs are awesome. The OST (except for Marina's song, ugh) is great. The Gundam fights were also a ton of fun to watch as well. There were also characters I enjoyed a lot too. I ended up tolerating Tiera's character more in the end, he got better. S1 Lockon will always be superior to S2 Lockon. Ribbons Almark was a pretty cool villain as well. Especially with his
Reborns Gundam

But even with that, Gundam 00 S2 is not a show I'd recommend to people who want to see a good mecha. While I didn't hate Gundam 00 S2, it's still pretty dang bad.

All right, movie's next, then I'm finally finished with Gundam 00. This one is apparently the lowest of the low, so my expectations are set.

PhiLonius

Pretty much my exact complaints with 00.

They could have gutted half that roster to make the show a bit more focused. And
Lockon's S1 death
is pretty much pointless considering how they transition him into S2 and the movie.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I disliked season 2 because it didn't have any original ideas.

Especially after viewing Eureka 7 and seeing a good example of a mecha show taking alot of inspiration and ideas from UC gundam, but making those ideas into something original of its own

duckroll

Gundam 00 feels like a great series which just didn't know when to stop and kept running until it was 6 feet underground. I feel that if it was conceived and produced as a single 50 episode series like most Gundam shows are, it could actually have been fantastic all the way through. Unfortunately, allowed the gap between seasons seems to have allowed more production meddling and allowed the staff to second guess themselves based on fan reactions and sales figures of stuff from the first season. Kinda a tragedy really. By the time they made the movie, I got the feeling that no one really cared anymore and knew that they blew it with the second season so they just went crazy and made whatever. Lulz. :(

NEO0MJ

I enoyed season 1 of 00 but just had to stop after a few episodes of season 2, it was just so bad. Also, I didn't like most of the design from this show, especially the gundams. Most ridiculous design goes to
Reborns Gundam, it was just so stupid.
Favorite design from the show goes to the Flag and its successor units.

Were those damashiis? I dont follow gundam toys very closely anymore, but i remember there were GFF Crossbones that were ver. Ka at one point.

Yes. I own both the GFF Crossbones and the Damashii Crossbones. The new Damashii Crossbones look slightly different from the previous ones, I'm guessing they're like the upgraded Unicorn and V2 Gundam Damashiis (Unicorn was a completey new figure, V2 Gundam had some small changes to certain joints and to the head).

As for the Master Asia Figuarts, it doesn't mean anything. It was one of the very first Gundam-related Figuarts ever announced, years ago. There was also a GP01Fb Damashii that was shown alongside the first Damashiis that came out, and that one was never released.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I want to get into Gunpla

Any tools you guys would recommend for a beginner testing the waters, or am I good to just buy a kit and build it bare handed?

CorvoSol

Im not expecting Devil Gundam. We still haven't gotten any mobile armors or things much more popular like Nightingale so I think it will be a very long time before Devil even has a shot.

Rising on the other hand is almost assured. Damashii recolors/modifys aren't unheared of, and with how often we see Bandai Hobby Shops, Rising will come. We just need to see if it's a standard release or a online exclusive.

Sadly stuff that is much more popular like Deathscythe have been online so Rising could easily go that way to.

I can't get over the fact that they actually made ZZZ Gundam into a real figure. I never thought they would.

Ah, isn't there some kind of Devil Gundam kit, though? Someday I'll just wind up buying that.

Any tools you guys would recommend for a beginner testing the waters, or am I good to just buy a kit and build it bare handed?

You'll want a nice pair of clippers. I can't make any recommendations because mine aren't nice, but someone named a good brand in here to me one time, so I'm sure someone'll get you pointed in the right direction. But doing it by hand I can't even imagine, haha.

duckroll

A cutting mat and a pair of nippers are the barest essentials. Some high grit sandpaper, a pair of tweezers, a file, etc would be helpful but not totally required. Markers or enamel paint + thinner for panel lining would be the next step for detailing. And beyond that it would be painting the entire kit, top coating, etc. But you probably don't want to worry about those for now.

Beth Cyra

Ah, isn't there some kind of Devil Gundam kit, though? Someday I'll just wind up buying that.

You'll want a nice pair of clippers. I can't make any recommendations because mine aren't nice, but someone named a good brand in here to me one time, so I'm sure someone'll get you pointed in the right direction. But doing it by hand I can't even imagine, haha.

SD and a B Club (but I dont believe the B-Club is full crab Devil) I believe.

However B-Club also released a 700$ 1/72 Wing Gundam Zero EW, so they do crazy things.

However RD doesn't have many large/Armor suits so Devil would likely be very low on the list.

Enron

Banned
Baaannnaaaaageeeeee

14130497066_096c4e7cd8_b.jpg

Unicorn damashii are really impressive. The detail on these are great, and the paint application is really tight. tons of articulation, sliding joints, lots of hands and weapons. Why do I build gunpla again?

14173754823_1a4b7f7787_b.jpg

duckroll

That Gouf looks so sad between the two Unicorn models. It's really unfair how Bandai puts in so much more effort to make the Unicorn stuff look so good across all lines. HGUC, MG, Damashii, even the fucking OVAs. It's just sick!

Enron

Banned
That Gouf looks so sad between the two Unicorn models. It's really unfair how Bandai puts in so much more effort to make the Unicorn stuff look so good across all lines. HGUC, MG, Damashii, even the fucking OVAs. It's just sick!

At least both of its legs are functional

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So why would someone buy a Robot Damashi version of a kit instead of say the comparable Bandai version? How do they differ? Are they officially licensed?

I would highly suggest this Gunpla guide to get you started. It will answer 99% of questions that can/will arise. I just wish I knew about this when I started lol

Enron

Banned
So why would someone buy a Robot Damashi version of a kit instead of say the comparable Bandai version? How do they differ? Are they officially licensed?

Damashii is a figure. Not a kit. And they ARE Bandai, heh.

Think of Damashii as the replacement for the old Fix Figuration line.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the advice

I think I'm gonna pick up the wing Venice and double x hgs on amazon. Anyone know of they're any good?

Ken

Thanks for the advice

I think I'm gonna pick up the wing Venice and double x hgs on amazon. Anyone know of they're any good?

I haven't made the Wing Fenice but I've made two HGBFs and they're pretty easy to make and the finished stuff looks decent enough without any additional work. Would expect the same of Fenice.

No idea on the Double X.

CorvoSol

Thanks for the advice

I built the Wing Fenice. I really like that set. It comes with extra parts if you want to make it look more symmetrical or not, which is nice. I do recommend taking care with the little V-fin thing that goes on the forehead, though. The only piece in the whole kit that broke on me.

Still, great kit. One of three Wing variants I own, and probably the best looking at this point.

Ken

I built the Wing Fenice. I really like that set. It comes with extra parts if you want to make it look more symmetrical or not, which is nice. I do recommend taking care with the little V-fin thing that goes on the forehead, though. The only piece in the whole kit that broke on me.

Still, great kit. One of three Wing variants I own, and probably the best looking at this point.

huh i thought they were just lazy and didn't remove the parts meant for the original wing

the gm sniper k9 also included extra parts to make it a regular old gm sniper II

Beth Cyra

Thanks for the advice

Both Wing F and Gundam DX are pretty great kits.

Overall I think that Wing F is a better buy simply because of all the stuff you can do with it and the cool extra's. Easily the best Wing HG out of the Wing/F/Zero.

DX is a great little kits as well. Pretty stable for having such a large backpack which is nice and it has pretty much everything you'd expect it to, sadly that goes for the downsides as well (stickers and the like). It also has a sticker for it's forehead jewel that looks really terrible, but thats easy to overlook when you got the Twin Satellites deployed.

huh i thought they were just lazy and didn't remove the parts meant for the original wing

the gm sniper k9 also included extra parts to make it a regular old gm sniper II

I wouldn't say it was lazy, but they did just leave them there. It's not like they are on separate trees to really give you extra options on the F, they are just left overs on plates that are shared by the Wing and F.

Ken

I wouldn't say it was lazy, but they did just leave them there. It's not like they are on separate trees to make really give you extra options on the F, they are just left overs on plates that are shared by the Wing and F.

Does Beargguy-san come with Acguy stuff in Bearguy colors? That'd be kind of funny.

Bombless

Does Beargguy-san come with Acguy stuff in Bearguy colors? That'd be kind of funny.

There were a few pieces left out, after looking at Acguy pics I'd say they're the upper part of the head. Those are the major ones I remember, the rest is small stuff.

CorvoSol

Well, I'm not sure there are enough parts to give it two wings, but there are alternate shoulders and heads for example to make it look more like just an alt colored wing.

Damashii is a figure. Not a kit. And they ARE Bandai, heh.

Think of Damashii as the replacement for the old Fix Figuration line.

No, Damashii replaces the MSiA (Mobile Suit in Action) line. The GFF line still gets the occasional release. There was a GFF 1/100 Banshee released not too long ago.

yami4ct

Holy crap. Man that Char figuart is a thing of beauty. And, is that real fabric on his cape? Wow. Definitely a must own. I've slowed down on figuart buys this past year, but Char and Kamen Rider Zangetsu Shin are pulling me back in.

Any figure with joints that visible is a big no-no for me.
Then again I don't have any figures other than the PAK Raiden that came with Metal Gear Rising, and even that guy is still in the box.

Then again I don't have any figures other than the PAK Raiden that came with Metal Gear Rising, and even that guy is still in the box.

You're better off collecting PVC statues in that case. All Figmas and Figuarts have visible joints for poseability reasons....

yami4ct

It bothers me on some figures, particularly those that aren't dudes in full body suits. I think figuarts have gotten really good at hiding them,though. Particularly over the last year. The only joint I find noticeable on new figuarts is the forward and back ab joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom