• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
Someone please tell me I can download the background tunes somewhere. Especially the one that was playing at the end...

Cloudy

Banned
Heh, you're right. nm :p

PS: The only Gundam shows I've seen are SEED/Destiny and 00. And a bit of Stardust Memory and Wing on CN. What do I need to watch cos it is seems this is set 100 yrs after another series?

Dead

well not really...yet
Cloudy said:

PS: The only Gundam shows I've seen are SEED/Destiny and 00. And a bit of Stardust Memory and Wing on CN. What do I need to watch cos it is seems this is set 100 yrs after another series?
I dont think you really need to watch anything else, but its set in the UC timeline which consists of:

- Mobile Suit Gunam (original series and/or movie trilogy)
- Zeta Gundam
- Double Zeta Gundam
- Char's Coutnerattack (movie)
- Gundam F91 (movie)
- Victory Gundam
- Gundam 0080
- Gundam 0083
- Gundam 08th MS Team.

All of these are worth watching, except maybe for Double Zeta Gundam, but even that has its moments. But like I said, none are really necessary to enjoy Unicorn I think.

Jex

Dead said:
I dont think you really need to watch anything else, but its set in the UC timeline which consists of X. But like I said, none are really necessary to enjoy Unicorn I think.

Maybe not to enjoy, but anytime anyone had a conversation over a minute I had no idea what they were talking about. It assumes that you know a lot already.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Nah, I thought this one was pretty good. A few silly moments, but all anime has these at some point. Not looking for perfection or anything. I just hope the main kid doesn't get super emo or anything. I can take a bit of it, but too much really drains the fun out of it.
As long as someone is there to give him an epic slap it's okay. This is the rule of Gundam.

S. L.

Cloudy said:

if you watch the 0079 movie triology and Zeta Gundam TV series you are pretty much set what you need for background knowledge for maximum enjoyment :)

So could anybody clarify this question about the shows former hero, and I'll make sure to hide it just in case people bitch about it

Is Amuro Ray dead? It looked like he should have died during Char's Counterattack but anime characters seem to have this super ability to survive the most devastating attacks/explosions. So unless he's relaly dead, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a appearance or even be a vital character in Gundam Unicorn

S. L.

Rice-Eater said:
So could anybody clarify this question about the shows former hero, and I'll make sure to hide it just in case people bitch about it

Is Amuro Ray dead? It looked like he should have died during Char's Counterattack but anime characters seem to have this super ability to survive the most devastating attacks/explosions. So unless he's relaly dead, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a appearance or even be a vital character in Gundam Unicorn
totally dead

S. L. said:
totally dead

Yep, he's dead. He never made an appearance in the novels.

The bigger question is
Bright Noa. Will he show up in the OVA? He appears in the novels, but Hirotaka Suzuoki passed away.

distantmantra said:
Yep, he's dead. He never made an appearance in the novels.

The bigger question is
Bright Noa. Will he show up in the OVA? He appears in the novels, but Hirotaka Suzuoki passed away.
He can just show up for some disciplinary action.
:lol

Anyway, here's some Gundam stuff I came up with in LittleBigPlanet.

lbpzakuvsgundam.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpvCIihFUu0

S. L. said:
eh, the
Mineva part
was pretty obvious once she was called princess :>

currently building my sinanju too
before painting:
http://img8.abload.de/img/img_0181k0da.jpg[/IM
now (yup, yellow :D ):
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/m1ypu7.jpg[/I
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/m2pq7u.jpg[/I
more [URL="http://sl-blag.blogspot.com/search/label/Sinanju"]here[/URL]
the sheer amount of parts is a bit of a PITA[/QUOTE]
You dropped the extra $90 on the Neograde Sinanju extra parts? It was worth it to you? $105 for the model was enough for me (decided to pay a little extra so my local hobby store could use the revenue).

What's so great about the Neograde parts? I bookmarked your blog - can you take some detail pics of the tubes you painted and stuff? What size brush do you use?

Also - I had to use thinner on all the joints because the spray paint was actually coating the joints to be [I]too[/I] thick to even clamp together. Awesome sauce. Still waiting for my eBay Sinanju decals to come in (should be another week or so.

S. L.

Major Williams said:
You dropped the extra $90 on the Neograde Sinanju extra parts? It was worth it to you? $105 for the model was enough for me (decided to pay a little extra so my local hobby store could use the revenue).

What's so great about the Neograde parts? I bookmarked your blog - can you take some detail pics of the tubes you painted and stuff? What size brush do you use?

Also - I had to use thinner on all the joints because the spray paint was actually coating the joints to be too thick to even clamp together. Awesome sauce. Still waiting for my eBay Sinanju decals to come in (should be another week or so.
img_0956v6op.jpg

The tubes a Revell email copper color, brushed with a 000 (?) brush. (the smallest cheapo vallejo my shop had - 1 Euro a piece) dunno

I paid about 50 for the neograde parts, if its worth it... maybe. Looks a bit different and I like working with resin. Plus I finish so few kits a year it's not much of a deal.

The joints in the Sinanju are pretty tight, so masking them before painting is a a pretty good idea.

S. L. said:
http://www.abload.de/img/img_0956v6op.jpg[/I
The tubes a Revell email copper color, brushed with a 000 (?) brush. (the smallest cheapo vallejo my shop had - 1 Euro a piece) dunno

I paid about 50 for the neograde parts, if its worth it... maybe. Looks a bit different and I like working with resin. Plus I finish so few kits a year it's not much of a deal.

The joints in the Sinanju are pretty tight, so masking them before painting is a a pretty good idea.[/QUOTE]
On your blog you said this:

[quote]
For the internals I am using Mr Metal Color Iron - buffable paint. After airbrushing you buff it a bit to get a great metal effect - which doesn't really photography that well.[/quote]
What do you use to buff it out? Have any technique hints for me?

I just got a badger airbrush and an air compressor. I have a general understanding of how to do it, but I'm more looking for pointers to specific gundam things. I'm going to shade my Exia tonight.

What topcoat are you using? I'm just using the Tamiya gloss and flat coats.

S. L.

Major Williams said:
On your blog you said this:

What do you use to buff it out? Have any technique hints for me?

I just got a badger airbrush and an air compressor. I have a general understanding of how to do it, but I'm more looking for pointers to specific gundam things. I'm going to shade my Exia tonight.

What topcoat are you using? I'm just using the Tamiya gloss and flat coats.
my super advice is to have patience and to not be afraid to redo parts. (you can strip acrylics with oven cleaner spray without harming the plastic)
Watch the japanese show i linked on my blog, you can see lots of techniques in there.

Can't say anything about shading as I am not a fan of it.
*shrug*

The metal buffable color (Mr. Metal Color) is a special paint from gunze/GSI with little soft metal particles in it. You spray it on and then wipe it shiny with a cloth.
Generally Alclad2 paints are awesome for metallic stuff.

For clearcoat I use:
For flat: Tamiya TS80 can or Tamiya Clear Acrylics + Flatbase
For Highgloss: some weird mystery lacquer from a local hardware store, that dries very slow but leaves a very level and super glossy surface

Feorax

Havent built a gunpla model in a long time, but VERY tempted by that new MG Wing Gundam. Might seriously consider picking up one in April.

Having another MG wing is nice and all, but there is already the ver. Ka out there
the only gundam from that series i want in MG is Heavyarms

sadface

S. L. said:
my super advice is to have patience and to not be afraid to redo parts. (you can strip acrylics with oven cleaner spray without harming the plastic)
Watch the japanese show i linked on my blog, you can see lots of techniques in there.

Can't say anything about shading as I am not a fan of it.
*shrug*

The metal buffable color (Mr. Metal Color) is a special paint from gunze/GSI with little soft metal particles in it. You spray it on and then wipe it shiny with a cloth.
Generally Alclad2 paints are awesome for metallic stuff.

For clearcoat I use:
For flat: Tamiya TS80 can or Tamiya Clear Acrylics + Flatbase
For Highgloss: some weird mystery lacquer from a local hardware store, that dries very slow but leaves a very level and super glossy surface
Thanks! I'll check out those vids, and I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Let me know how your gold technique worked for you - painting the gold, then the black - hand painting the gold was tough and turned out good, but not perfect.

Atenhaus

S. L. said:
I hope he goes emo at some point and then, in good old UC tradition, gets the crap beaten out of him :lol
kamilleoptyzkf.gif

Also I just noticed, is Audrey Burne some kind of play on Audrey Hepburn? heh

EVERY UC show needs the equivalent of a Brightslap. EVERY ONE.

Blackheim

ILikeFeet said:
GAF I want this bad (on Blu-Ray). so I have questions: what is the resolution of the movie and what is the best price:quality blu-ray drive for a computer (internal if possible)

Resolution of the movie on Blu-ray? 1080p I'd imagine.
I have an LG internal Blu-ray drive in this thing and they can be had for around $100 usually: Retail version on Newegg. OEM (open box) version on Newegg. Or find something on Amazon.

I've got the Blu-ray on order from cdjapan (yes, I wanted that slipcover) and had enough coupons/fsp to bring it in line with Amazon's price of $35. I've been eyeing a Unicorn Gundam kit, but man, I don't know if I can justify the $60+ for it. Especially since I have no paints or markers and haven't built one of these since the early 90's :/ Gah, do want though.

Blackheim said:
Resolution of the movie on Blu-ray? 1080p I'd imagine.
. I've been eyeing a Unicorn Gundam kit, but man, I don't know if I can justify the $60+ for it. Especially since I have no paints or markers and haven't built one of these since the early 90's :/ Gah, do want though.
Tell you what, I'm finishing my Sinanju soon, and I'll let you know how it is from a realistic perspective.

I only got back into the hobby less than a month ago, and bought all the shit that I need ($$ investment). But I'll let you know how many tools you'll actually need to make a decent looking Unicorn.

The box is just sitting on my kitchen table... waiting patiently to be made lol.

Blackheim

Major Williams said:
The box is just sitting on my kitchen table... waiting patiently to be made lol.

Thank you. Yeah, I'm so hesitant because of all of the ancillary materials I'd need to make a nice looking model. I'd end up spending way more than I planned :( The good thing, it's basically an all white gundam. Even in Destroy Mode most of the parts should not need to be painted, other than a top coat of finish and a few splashes of color here and there. I'll have to see how long my willpower holds up., maybe by the time I decide to cave every shop will be sold out :p

Augemitbutter said:
so cdjapan lists the blu-ray as region free, guess they're reliable.

Not always ... I've bought CDs from them that come with DVDs and they will state the DVDs are region 2, when in fact they were all region. BUT, considering this is supposed to be a worldwide, international release it would make sense if it were region free. If you don't buy it before I receive it (or find out the information from elsewhere), I'll let you know when I receive the Blu-ray if it is or not.

Blackheim said:
Thank you. Yeah, I'm so hesitant because of all of the ancillary materials I'd need to make a nice looking model. I'd end up spending way more than I planned :( The good thing, it's basically an all white gundam. Even in Destroy Mode most of the parts should not need to be painted, other than a top coat of finish and a few splashes of color here and there. I'll have to see how long my willpower holds up., maybe by the time I decide to cave every shop will be sold out :p
Ancillary products in my head that you would need, unnecessary items in italics:

Instruments:

- hobby pliers (one flat side) not necessarily needed though (~$6-10)
- Exacto knife ($2.50)
- Fine grit sandpaper for sanding off nubs (~$3-5)
- #000 Paintbrush ($1.50) or ($24 for the Tamiya version)
----OR-----
- 18/0 or 15/0 or 10/0 fine paintbrush ($1.50ish)
- Tweezers ($4-6)
- Paint Thinner ($4)

Paints:

- Clear gloss coat (I am going gloss I think, you can go flat) ($6)
- Tamiya Clear red (to get rid of the crappy pink) ($2.50)
- Tamiya Gunmetal (for pretty guns)($6.50) <---I see this as necessary
- Chrome/silver metal lacquer (for painting cool barrel effects on guns) (2.50)
- Tamiya Dark grey (I like a darker gray underframe than the stock gray) ($6.50)

Total cost for necessary: $33-$39
Total cost of everything: $45-$53

or add an additional $24 for the Tamiya paintbrush.

Of course there are other options, plus an airbrush if you really wanted the Clear red to be consistent (which can run $120-200 for a decent system). Painting with a brush and a steady hand looks good though for sure.

Also, if you got mini dragon clips and a bunch of 14-16 gauge wire for drying pieces while painting, that may add $10 to it all. And I'm probably missing some crap too.

SL got anything to add?

S. L.

Major Williams said:
SL got anything to add?
My take on very basic stuff to make a kit look presentable:
- Flat clear coat, canned, the idea is to spray it over the bare plastic too get away the toy look. Get hobby paint, hardwarestore canned paint is way to thick and agressive.
- Exacto Knife.
- A mechanical pencil would be good to trace the panel lines, gives the kit more depth. A very thin gray! marker will work too
- wet-sanding paper sheets around 400-1000 girth to sand away the nubs

this stuff above will cost you maybe 15~20usd and will make your kit look twice as good as out of box with minimal effort and cost

Just found some pics of my ol' custom color PG Strike Gundam.

strikeblack2.jpg

strikeblack3.jpg

strikeblack4.jpg

strikeblack5.jpg

I'm really close to splurging on the PG 00 Raiser since a couple vendors at the weekly expo near my house is selling them.

Blackheim

Major Williams said:
Ancillary products in my head that you would need, unnecessary items in italics:

Thank you, man mess gets expensive quick :/ I'll probably wait until I'm in a better financial position to make the leap back into this stuff. Hopefully this kit doesn't disappear or they come out with a PG version of it when I am ready. Sucks being poor and still wanting to get a lot of other crap. Well, I suppose I could maybe pick up the kit next month and then let it sit until I'm able to grab the other stuff. I'll figure it out later.

Thank you also, S.L.

Blackheim said:
Thank you, man mess gets expensive quick :/ I'll probably wait until I'm in a better financial position to make the leap back into this stuff. Hopefully this kit doesn't disappear or they come out with a PG version of it when I am ready. Sucks being poor and still wanting to get a lot of other crap. Well, I suppose I could maybe pick up the kit next month and then let it sit until I'm able to grab the other stuff. I'll figure it out later.

Thank you also, S.L.
Yeah, SL's got some great advice too.

This kit is so popular I don't think you'll have to worry about it going away for the next year, IMO. They're making money still for it, and they know it. They're coming out with the Unicorn OVA, which has better mobility, so you can get that if the originals run out (they look the same btw).

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
That looks awesome. I've always wanted to build a model of some sort, but never got around to it. I might have to jump in one of these days.

Xater

So how exactly do you guys paint those? Do you prime all the parts, paint them and then snap the thing together? I guess then you would do the panel lines?

I'm not exactly sure how I would do it. I have only 2 Gunplas but did not paint them. They look alright but painting them of course would help.

35kk8ie.jpg

1zeyubr.jpg

S.L. you are also from Germany, so which paint would you recommend for the standard Gundam colors?

I'm thinking of picking up some SD Gundams in japan and try painting those first.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Those jackets and jeans are awesome. As is the mono-eye shirts. I totally want one.

Troidal

I watched ep.1 the other day and it gives me renewed hope that if they have the budget and right people, an awesome Gundam series can still be created. Bandai can make those female otaku-oriented Gundams like SEED and 00, as long as it serves as the budget for something awesome like this!!!!

Everything about UC so far has been awesome, the battle scenes, the music, and ESPECIALLY the last 5 minutes. Good god, I was giddy like a kid, I had to watch that part so many times haha.

Cannot wait for episode 2. 10/10

S. L.

Xater said:
So how exactly do you guys paint those? Do you prime all the parts, paint them and then snap the thing together? I guess then you would do the panel lines?

I'm not exactly sure how I would do it. I have only 2 Gunplas but did not paint them. They look alright but painting them of course would help.

http://i50.tinypic.com/35kk8ie.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/1zeyubr.jpg[IMG]

S.L. you are also from Germany, so which paint would you recommend for the standard Gundam colors?

I'm thinking of picking up some SD Gundams in japan and try painting those first.[/QUOTE]
assuming you don't own an airbrush i recommend going the spray can way. you can do handbrush painting, but it takes some serious skill to make handbrush look good.
Tamiya canned paints are good and readily available (7~8&#8364; a can in a hobbystore or Conrad Electronics). for little details you can use a fine brush and those little revell email paints (~1.5&#8364;)

alternatively you could go for just a plain flat clearcoat as i mentioned above.

Xater

S. L. said:
assuming you don't own an airbrush i recommend going the spray can way. you can do handbrush painting, but it takes some serious skill to make handbrush look good.
Tamiya canned paints are good and readily available (7~8€ a can in a hobbystore or Conrad Electronics). for little details you can use a fine brush and those little revell email paints (~1.5€)

alternatively you could go for just a plain flat clearcoat as i mentioned above.

I'm used doing handbrush with Warhammer figures so I should be fine?

What's the way to go if I want to do airbrush? I guess I need a kit (Are cheap ones for 50€ good enough?) and some kind kind of paint. I have no airbrush experience but would be willing to give it a shot.

S. L.

Xater said:
I'm used doing handbrush with Warhammer figures so I should be fine?

What's the way to go if I want to do airbrush? I guess I need a kit (Are cheap ones for 50&#8364; good enough?) and some kind kind of paint. I have no airbrush experience but would be willing to give it a shot.
yeah but the gundams have lots of flat areas which are pretty hard to paint evenly. but if you say you have experience give it a shot.
With airbrush the thing is you need a compressor too. There is this sorta famous Güde Profi Airbrush set (the blue one)
http://shop.ebay.de/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=güde+airbrush&_sacat=See-All-Categories
which is a pretty good beginner set. (used around ~70&#8364;, new around 120&#8364;)

for colors with airbrush i recommend either Tamiya (can also used for handpainting, hobby store) or Vallejo Air (hobby store or "fantasy" shops) acrylics - they aren't toxic and easy to cleanup.
Airbrush is pretty easy to get into, so no worries there.

Aegus

Troidal said:
I watched ep.1 the other day and it gives me renewed hope that if they have the budget and right people, an awesome Gundam series can still be created. Bandai can make those female otaku-oriented Gundams like SEED and 00, as long as it serves as the budget for something awesome like this!!!!

Everything about UC so far has been awesome, the battle scenes, the music, and ESPECIALLY the last 5 minutes. Good god, I was giddy like a kid, I had to watch that part so many times haha.

Cannot wait for episode 2. 10/10

The thing I love about UC is that the majority of the machines don't feel like cannon fodder at times. I mean sure you get the prototypes that are really effective at destroying other MS, but I don't think there's ever been a scene where a character's MS has wiped out hundreds of MS in a single battle ala Seed/00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom