• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we all know the answer to that...

But to sum things up.

Its a PlayStation exclusive which will bring the Xbox fans.

Its also the best looking video game of all time, from a £349 box which will bring the PC fans confusingly thinking how its possible when their set up is twice that amount.

Much like the Uncharted 2 and 3 threads.

Oh my

So-it-begins-the-great-shitstorm-of-our-time2-268x300.jpg

CozMick

Banned
I don't know if he's coming back to justify that statement.

I kinda did.

It wasn't a drive by shit post. I'm in every the order 1886 thread reading the same shite over and over.....

CozMick said:
Defending a game I've never played is almost as pathetic as wanting it to fail.

I'm looking forward to it but a "console warrior"? I was merely stating what everyone is thinking in regards to every single the order 1886 thread.

Hawk269

I don't know if he's coming back to justify that statement.

I hope he is taken by the mod gods. We don't need that here. Its is one thing to post something but to try to incite all out war by calling out users from 2 diff. Platforms is asking for trouble.

This is the hardest game to predict the score since at the very least The Wonderful 101. Anywhere between low 80's and high 60's is very much possible, anything other than that would be surprising.

I'm still on the fence whether to buy this or not. I hope it does well because the guys at RAD caught some unexpected shit ever since basically this game was announced and most of it was undeserved.

vesvci

Banned
Microsoft fans rubbing their hands...ready to attack
Sony fans rubbing their hands...ready to defend
Nintendo fans rubbing their hands...ready to pre-order the next wave of amiibos

Haha. Friendly competition/preference is a good thing.

What's not good and it is poisonous to online communities is astro-turfing. And that crap is real.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think we all know the answer to that...

But to sum things up.

Its a PlayStation exclusive which will bring the Xbox fans.

Its also the best looking video game of all time, from a £349 box which will bring the PC fans confusingly thinking how its possible when their set up is twice that amount.

Much like the Uncharted 2 and 3 threads.
Ah, there it is.

Reviewers have been taking AAA games this generation to task.

Infamous Second Son: 80
Watch Dogs: 80
Wolfenstein: 79

Evolve: 79
Destiny: 76
Dying Light: 73
DriveClub: 71

I mean 80 on metacritic is like the sound barrier no one can break.
I will be pleasantly surprised if The Order breaks 80.

Ive played the bolded and I think the reviews are all spot on except for Wolfenstein. That is just ridiculous.

Mifec

Do you consider Alien Isolation an AAA game, it's 81 :p

This is good though. It's making the entire scale actually mean something, even if WatchDogs, as an example, is a 6/10 game at best, but the point is they aren't sticking everything as 9 or 10 = good, everything else = bad.

Paskil

I predict...that this thread will be a graveyard of grey when all is said and done. I don't really care about the review score. I'll probably rent this from the library or at a lower budget price (< $40), though. It didn't spark enough interest from me to buy at full price.

It's because they finally discovered there's more than 2 numbers on a 10 point scale

I don't really care about reviews or scores to be frank, outside of a few industry folk whose opinions I highly value.

But I do care when reviews are uninformed or poorly approached because there's a good chunk of people who do put stock in metacritic when making buying choices, and I would hate to see a good game lose sales because people in a position of influence couldn't be bothered to put an effort into their evaluation.

Not saying that is or will be the case with The Order, but I believe it has happened in the past with other games and will continue to in the future.

I understand that, but I mostly referring when a game that gets 9s and 10s across the board and when a few or a single reviewer gets the game a 7 between 8.9 or something that, some people flip their shit even if the review isn't written badly. Its not going convince them to not buy the game or anything. So why so serious about the score?

This is the hardest game to predict the score since at the very least The Wonderful 101. Anywhere between low 80's and high 60's is very much possible, anything other than that would be surprising.

I'm still on the fence whether to buy this or not. I hope it does well because the guys at RAD caught some unexpected shit ever since basically this game was announced and most of it was undeserved.
Aside from the game length crap that can't be attributed to them, most of the "shit" was expected cause it came from RAD's mouth.

Mordor? DAI?

I don't agree with many of these aggregates but I will say it's a good thing that reviews are harsher. 8 this gen feels like the 9 of last gen when it comes to major publication scores.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Posting in legendary thread?

Posting in legendary thread.

I already played my part. Now to watch this beautiful saga reach its climax.

Best wishes to the guys and girls at RAD.

I love you, GAF.

tumblr_mwzs2qriNr1sbtpnro1_400.gif

My prediction: between 70-73 on metacritic. When recent quality games like wolfenstein, alien isolation and evil within all failed to break 80, i find it hard to imagine how this divisive title can possibly get anywhere near 80.

Whatevs, I'll still be getting it. Don't have anything against linear / cinematic games.

MercuryLS

Banned
I've only played about 1.5h of the game and I mostly agree with the review. It's very pretty, lots of cutscenes and quote's, interesting characters with a so far bland story (I'm hoping it picks up). Lots of hallways and linear paths as well as stop and pop gears-like gunplay. Visuals are astounding, especially the detail on the guns. Controls are really tight so it makes moving around/combat a breeze, just super responsive and "light" controls.

Overall it's decent from what I've played, but at least so far it's definitely a bit style over substance.

Expecting low to mid-70's. Like many, I've been thinking this would be another case of Ryse for a while. Amazing tech, interesting story, mediocre game play. Luckily, I for one enjoyed Ryse quite a bit.

I likely won't be buying this full price, but I did order a PS4 from Cowboom recently for Bloodborne, so I put it on the top of my Gamefly Q. At the very least, it should be entertaining.

Lingitiz

Ive played the bolded and I think the reviews are all spot on except for Wolfenstein. That is just ridiculous.
I love Wolfenstein but I think it had enough rough spots to deserve that score. It's a game that really could have benefited from some of the cinematic aspirations that The Order is actually going for. I mean that in terms of the seamless cutscene transitions and smoothness of the story telling.

I think if video game nerds put as much passion and love and hate into other topics as they do into the generation of hype and how emotionally invested they are in The Order, they'd be happier, get more accomplished, be successful, and probably get laid more*

* maybe not the latter, I dunno.

gooface

Banned
WOW... one review, and 10 pages... this is going to be intense... I was considering this game, but the shortness is going to kill it for me... I played it at PAX. it was fun.. but it felt sorta like GOW...

Hugstable

Banned

It's good to see more varied opinions at least with these scores. I do think that Driveclub and especially Wolfenstein should have scored higher, but feel that Infamous and maybe Watch Dogs are way higher in score than I would rate them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom