• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the wrong descriptive word.

I'd say it could be nominated as contender for the closest to pre-rendered CG looking game.
Wait but that ranges from Toy Story to Appleseed to Spirits Within.

I think they're right using photo-realistic. Let's just say "pre-rendered photorealistic CG", then.

Odrion

Banned
Reviewers have been taking AAA games this generation to task.

Infamous Second Son: 80
Watch Dogs: 80
Wolfenstein: 79
Evolve: 79
Destiny: 76
Dying Light: 73
DriveClub: 71

I mean 80 on metacritic is like the sound barrier no one can break.
I will be pleasantly surprised if The Order breaks 80.

There's been several current gen games that broke the 80 barrier: Halo TMCC, Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall...

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
This thread is not going to be legendary, people are just posting a lot because they think something sneezing will happen. People have learned from the U3 thread, and they probably aren't going to say anything stupid unless they are trolling everyone.

This game will probably end up at around 65 on metacritic. Initial sales will be decent because of all the promotion, but legs will be extremely weak because the game has practically no replay value and is really short in the first place. I will be surprised if Sony will actually fund a sequel. There is a good chance that this will be Ready at Dawn's last console game.

so you played the game already?

JNA

Banned
You STILL see people bring up the 88 review when they want to discredit a review by Jeff. I think that might be the most infamous game review of all time, yeah.

No way. The Kane and Lynch review on Gamespot one is the most infamous of all time.

That review pretty much changed the entire outlook of video game reviews forever.

iceatcs

60-70 metacritic I think, the media aren't that soft anymore and the rating system was different than last gen. It isn't only gameplay anymore, but everything like value, graphics etc, because we got fewer game ever made easy for media to compare to the whole library.

BumRush

This thread is not going to be legendary, people are just posting a lot because they think something sneezing will happen. People have learned from the U3 thread, and they probably aren't going to say anything stupid unless they are trolling everyone.

Something...sneezing?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Never understood why anyone cared about professional reviews. Gonna be fun to see the graveyard, though.

It's the people who care about the reviews and also the people who care about reading the hilarious reactions of the people who care about reviews.

These threads are all about the drama. Entertainment for some.

Toxi

Banned
Are you ready to play!?!?!!
7kPEPQ1.jpg

(Not my pic)
fypAmty.gif

I'm predicting a 75 on Metacritic. I think it's the best looking game out there but this game is gonna get hammered just like Ryse.

I

Proxy

Not enough towers to climb - 0/10

Only one review and this thread is already 6+ pages long. Although it's mostly filled with people salivating over the thought of how "crazy" this thread is going to be, which is pretty pathetic.

One of the great review threads of the generation, guaranteed. I'm predicting a high 70's meta...I'll go 78...not that it matters much in the end. Still, the meltdowns from all sides will be glorious to witness.

Jesus, that Twilight Princess and Uncharted 3 stuff is pitiful. People really got bothered over a friggin 8.8 and an 8? That's sad. I can't believe people care so much about review scores.

Anyway, this is the first time I've actually bothered to read through a review thread. It's quite entertaining, already.

I-hate-u

That DC score is crazy weird for a lot of reasons. When the reviewers played it, it probably deserved higher. But if they had actually waited like they should have, it would have gotten even lower because of server things. And if they were to update their score (which, if we're keeping scores around, I wish more reviewers would do), it would probably be higher because of the many patches and improvements.

The review system of this industry needs to be completely re-evaluated. Games at launch are no longer a representative of the final product in 2-3 months after release. Publishers and developers should absolutely be criticized if they ship a game that doesn't operate as advertised, but also be credited if they fixed it.

In my case, I played DC a two months after release, and everything was fine for me. That score was way out different from what I felt the game deserved at the time I played it.

TomShoe

Banned
If I didn't have a huge-ass snowball fight to go to, I'd watch this thread all day.

I just hope someone doesn't call GAF Bingo before I get back.

Is it kind of weird that I feel like most people after playing it will feel similarly about the game? Like there will always be the few that love it or hate it, but I really think there's gonna be an easy to identify consensus about this game after it comes out, which makes the incoming carnage that this thread will hold pretty strange.

Mory Dunz

I think we all know the answer to that...

But to sum things up.

Its a PlayStation exclusive which will bring the Xbox fans.

Its also the best looking video game of all time, from a £349 box which will bring the PC fans confusingly thinking how its possible when their set up is twice that amount.

Much like the Uncharted 2 and 3 threads.

B-b-but what about Nintendo?
Why does everyone forget Nintendo...

Hiltz

I don't think the game will sell as badly as some people think it will. Like some of Sony's other IPs, Sony fans are fairly open to supporting photo-realistic, cinematic games that prioritize storytelling over gameplay. As for The Order itself, I haven't been paying much attention to it in the last couple of weeks, but it seems based off of impressions so far, that it's probably a solid, but seemingly safe and uninspiring title in the gameplay department. Whether or not the story proves to be well made and compelling enough is anyone's guess, but in my opinion, few developers manage to do it very well. With that said, Ready at Dawn has a lot to prove here given that The Order is its first original IP, so we'll see just wait and see if they made the right decisions in the approach they took to The Order's game design.

What gets me worried isn't the "7 hour length" comment.

It's the "large amount of QTEs" one.

Seriously, I don't mind QTEs that much, but I am not a big fan.

Tagyhag

Personally it's looking like a game I'll enjoy but wouldn't spend more than $20 on it.

I hope reviewers give it a chance while remaining critical.

This thread is going to move CRAZY fast on Thu.

Myggen

11 pages already, and only one official review?

This game is oddly popular, but it seems for the wrong reasons.

Exclusives bring out the worst on both "sides" in these kind of games, regardless of console. Because of the length of the game I'll wait until the game goes on sale, but I'll play it at some point because I want to see the graphics.

The review system of this industry needs to be completely re-evaluated. Games at launch are no longer a representative of the final product in 2-3 months after release. Publishers and developers should absolutely be criticized if they ship a game that doesn't operate as advertised, but also be credited if they fixed it.

In my case, I played DC a two months after release, and everything was fine for me. That score was way out different from what I felt the game deserved at the time I played it.
Yup. Bought my copy in January and what I experienced seemed like a far cry from what reviews and consumer impressions had said.

I agree wholly. I would really like to see devs that put in the work to fix their game, or just outright improve it, get some recognition for not just dumping a buggy game and leaving it for us (a la Telltale).

Theecliff

Banned
Y2Kev warned me about riling up people in this thread so I'm just here to say I have absolutely no opinion on anything and will absolutely not post gifs in response to the several meltdowns that I will absolutely not incite and won't actually happen because who would want that

ahem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom