• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two lions killed after they maul suicidal man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

The amount of "Well getting killed is what he wanted. They shouldnt have killed the poor lions to save a man who just wished to die"
On my FB is sickening.

We still have a long way to go on how people perceive mental disorders.

Tranquilizers were not an option and its a sad situation all around. But saving him was the right choice.

SaganIsGOAT

The amount of "Well getting killed is what he wanted. They shouldnt have killed the poor lions to save a man who just wished to die"
On my FB is sickening.

Tranquilizers were not an option and its a sad situation all around. But saving him was the right choice.

Cool that is what I was wondering. Well if that is the case then this is just flat out shitty all around.

Even a suicidal man is worth more then the lives of every animal at zoo. Zookeepers made the right decision to terminate the beasts before he was killed.
Hope the man can get over his injuries and issues.

On my FB is sickening.

Edited my post on the previous page, Zookeepers did fire tranquilizers but hit the man in the neck instead after which they switched to lethal intervention.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Sad fucking event. Hopefully he pulls through from his injuries, but I kind of doubt it. Depression is a motherfucker. Sad for the lions too. I wish there had been tranquilizers around.

CloudWolf

Do animals actually develop a taste for human blood or is it a myth?

Human blood isn't the reason lions (or animals in general) that kill humans are killed. The reason is that they don't see humans as easy prey so they won't attack unless they feel threatened. Of course, humans are the easiest prey in existence, but the animals don't know that until they've experienced it first hand. Basically, lions are lazy creatures and if they see how much easier/less dangerous it is to catch tourists, they won't bother with buffalos anymore.

Stitch

Gold Member
Man, I think if you strip naked and jump into a lion enclosure then you're beyond saving anyway. I don't think there could be any kind of rehab that could help this guy. Well, locking him up in an empty room for the rest of his life could help. So basically he becomes a Lion. 🐯

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Human blood isn't the reason lions (or animals in general) that kill humans are killed. The reason is that they don't see humans as easy prey so they won't attack unless they feel threatened. Of course, humans are the easiest prey in existence, but the animals don't know that until they've experienced it first hand.

That white tiger who killed that dude who jumped in his enclosure wasn't killed though. They monitored him afterwards, and there was no change in his behavior.

Clockwork5

I get why they did it, I simply don't agree with it. This of course becomes a question of ethics and the value of human life. Is it fair to kill a lion for simply acting of its nature when a suicidal individual flings themselves at them in an attempt to get themselves mauled to death? Do we honor the life of the suicidal man more than the lion? These are not easy questions, but it's what my mind is questioning.

They are easy questions.

Yes.

Do animals actually develop a taste for human blood or is it a myth?

No. Wild animals such as bears tend to be killed not because they develop a taste for humans, but in fear they become comfortable roaming near and through populated areas thus increasing the likelihood of an attack.

n0razi

Thats definitely one way to go.

What's the prognosis of someone who survives an attack like that? Is this man now destined to be incredibly debilitated for the rest of his life?

Tagyhag

Depressing thread, jeez.

Lack of empathy for another fellow human is a bit disturbing.

I'm empathetic to suicidal humans.

I'm not empathetic to suicidical humans who would willingly risk the lives of others (Humans or animals) and try to kill themselves in a gruesome way in public to try to affect as many people as people.

Kandinsky

Person willingly enters enclosure and they still killed the lions.

I'm fully aboard the human life is more important than animals, but come on...this guy made a choice to die by lions, killing them for what comes naturally is extremely fucked up. Tranq them and take out the body, but kill them?

Bullshit.

It absolutely was not the right thing to do. I really hope that zoo is blocked from receiving replacement lions. Fuck them.

Y not shoot da guy!? y not?

You guys do realize this was on a saturday morning, right? usually the time when the zoo is crowded with visitors, just picture that, a man being mauled to death in front of thousands kids. As sad as it sounds they made the right call :/

entremet

I'm not empathetic to suicidical humans who would willingly risk the lives of others (Humans or animals) and try to kill themselves in a gruesome way in public to try to affect as many people as people.

Well, you gotta understand that someone with suicidal ideation may not be thinking rationally.

That's what I'm talking about regarding empathy.

That's said being critical of his methods is fine, but what causes a person to take such desperate measures?

That white tiger who killed that dude who jumped in his enclosure wasn't killed though. They monitored him afterwards, and there was no change in his behavior.

That's because he is an enclosure and unlikely to be given the chance to come across humans face to face. Zoo animals are therefore less likely to be put down because of accidents like this. These lions, however, were shot in order to save the man's life.

AxelFoley

They didn't kill him because he was white. Lions are brown.

See where I'm going with this?

n0razi

So basically your first statement is false

I like the idea of a bunch of children watching a man get mauled to death by a lion, while a heroic GAFfer stops employees from doing anything about it.

Tagyhag

Well, you gotta understand that someone with suicidal ideation may not be thinking rationally.

That's what I'm talking about regarding empathy.

That's being critical of his methods is fine, but what causes a person to take such desperate measures?

Oh definitely, they're not thinking straight, but I personally feel it doesn't make it right.

This is why I believe people who are suicidal should be given any help that they can receive, but after all that, if they still want to end their life, they should be allowed to in a safe and clean manner.

SaganIsGOAT

They are easy questions.

Yes.

Maybe if you think that humans are the most valuable life on the planet and that we are the ones who really matter. Believe it or not, some of us don't view it that way. Every plant and animal on this planet is here because it is part of the whole. We all go together. The second you've decided that one thing is superior to the rest you will inherently devalue the worthiness of everything else. But hey, look at the planet. It is clear that mans thinking along these lines is the reason why thing are in the state they are.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
They didn't kill him because he was white. Lions are brown.

See where I'm going with this?

#AllFelineLivesMatter

Tired of all these brown lions acting like their lives matter more. Mauling people and shit in protest. We'll make zoos w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ GREAT AGAIN! No more gun-free zones in zoos!

RPGCrazied

Killed? How about tranquilizing them? They are wild meat eating animals, and probably hungry. Don't blame the Lions.

EDIT: No darts available? Eh, don't believe that. Should always have those around dangerous animals.

SaganIsGOAT

Well we are the top of the food chain.

Being at the top of the food chain does not mean in any way that you matter more than those beneath you in the food chain. That is such backwards logic. The thing at the top wouldn't be there without the complexities of the systems beneath them. Sure, nature can appear violent to us, but discord at one level is harmony at another.

Maybe if you think that humans are the most valuable life on the planet and that we are the ones who really matter. Believe it or not, some of us don't view it that way. Every plant and animal on this planet is here because it is part of the whole. We all go together. The second you've decided that one thing is superior to the rest you will inherently devalue the worthiness of everything else. But hey, look at the planet. It is clear that mans thinking along these lines is the reason why thing are in the state they are.

As a fellow human being those are some pretty disturbing values you hold. I hope they never come into practice.

Jenov

So some of gaf wouldn't shoot the lions to save the man's life. They would sit smugly, watching him be mauled to death...

NEO0MJ

Killed? How about tranquilizing them? They are wild meat eating animals, and probably hungry. Don't blame the Lions.

EDIT: No darts available? Eh, don't believe that. Should always have those around dangerous animals.

It was mentioned several times that they had darts, but they wouldn't put them down fast enough. This isn't like the movies where you immediately fall asleep if you're hit by one. It takes time for the effect of the tranquilizer to hit.

I feel sorry for the lions to be honest. Not that I don't have feelings for the guy.

I prefer most animals to people though, edgy I know.

SaganIsGOAT

As a fellow human being those are some pretty disturbing values you hold. I hope they never come into practice.

k then. Because I can set aside my ego and understand that the human species is simply one piece of the incredible world we live in my values are disturbing. lol. Nice superiority complex. The most dangerous thinking on this planet is that human are the rulers and ones who should dictate and control everything. That we are the most important. That is some fuck all thinking.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Being at the top of the food chain does not mean in any way that you matter more than those beneath you in the food chain. That is such backwards logic. The thing at the top wouldn't be there without the complexities of the systems beneath them. Sure, nature can appear violent to us, but discord at one level is harmony at another.
I believe we have to draw the line somewhere. You believe lions are worth more than one suicidal man, but what about other species? Why don't we worry about the ants or the worms when we plow through the Earth to build the foundations for our skyscrapers? Humans first is a policy I will always adhere to, even though I believe humans have not been solely beneficial for the planet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why would anyone choose death by lion? If I was suicidal I'd imagine I'd want it to be as quick and painless as possible. Severe mental issues there I guess.

As a chilean, I feel embarrased for this event.

Zoos like the ones we have here in our country are a fucking disgrace for the animals, no matter how much effort the persons in charge put on them. Suboptimal conditions, small cages, etc. most of the animals are in bad condition there.

I hope the man can recover and receive the proper treatment for his mental illness.

I feel sad for the lions, but looking at the bright side, they stopped being in a shitty environment.

I'm really bummed about this since yesterday :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom