• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two lions killed after they maul suicidal man

Status
Not open for further replies.

styl3s

What pisses me off isn't so much their reaction to what happened, but the fact that this asshat made it necessary to kill those animals. The blame lies solely with him, not the zoo, and I hope he has some new charges laid on him when/if he gets out of the hospital.
How about instead of blaming him and sending him to jail where nothing of value will be gained for anyone we get him some fucking health. It irks me how dismissive people are with mental illness but i don't know why i even try to argue it because this is a place that has a defense force for everything and people here actually believe animal life is more valuable than human life.

The blame lies on society and our government not giving a shit about mental illness.

typist

It's a shame the lions had to die but saving the depressed person was obviously the right choice. It's flabbergasting that some people actually seem conflicted about this. Imagine if someone you loved tried to commit suicide that way and the zoo-keepers were like: "Nah fuck that guy he wants to die anyway so we won't save him."

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Very simplistic way to think. Must be really comfortable. That suicidal bastard, didn't do a risk assessment beforehand! He was clearly stable!!
He was stable enough to seemingly plan this out. Unless he was suffering from severe mental illness which dissociated him from reality he knew the potential ramifications of his actions and that other people could die trying to rescue him.

Raynes

Being suicidal isn't a blank empathy check. If someone is suicidal and decides to get drunk and drive into another car or kill his whole family and himself, I would find it hard to feel empathetic towards him or her.

I didn't say it was a blank check for empathy, and that example you gave is in no way similar to this situation. Indirectly and directly harming someone is very different. I can tell by your way of thinking the world is black and white for you. You absolutely have to judge people, put them in some sort of category. Rather than trying to forcefully think whether they are worthy of your empathy, consider looking at things objectively.

He was stable enough to seemingly plan this out. Unless he was suffering from severe mental illness which dissociated him from reality he knew the potential ramifications of his actions and that other people could die trying to rescue him.

There are a number of ways this man could have been thinking. But I don't know how anyone could think that some suicidal people do not have a distorted view of reality.

Dart

How in the world.......

Probably a lot of thrashing going on. It's not like the lions put him on a plate and calmly starting biting him in a controlled and elegant manner.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually done on purpose with the idea of giving the guy a painless death, then later backtracked as an "accident" to protect the zoo with a PR spin. Just a thought, how long does it take for a tranquilizer to take effect on a man?

Airola

Don't forget, Humans also rape, murder, segregate and oppress each other. Wage war for the most stupidest of reasons, refuse to see the error of their ways because of pride, overpopulate and expel waste that's killing the planet.

Animals rape all the time. Cats kill for nothing sometimes.
I once observed two different ant types have a full on war with each other.
We can't criticize humans for doing certain things while giving animals a pass.

The planet is not a sentient being. The planet is not going to die. It doesn't die even if the whole universe gets blown away. It's not alive.

Krammy

It's a shame the lions had to die but saving the depressed person was obviously the right choice. It's flabbergasting that some people actually seem conflicted about this. Imagine if someone you loved tried to commit suicide that way and the zoo-keepers were like: "Nah fuck that guy he wants to die anyway so we won't save him."

If I ever kill myself, I wouldn't want my loved ones to stop me, nor would I stop my loved ones if they were suicidal. EDIT: I should extend this by saying of course I would do what I could to help them out, but if they were set on dying, I'm not going to stop them from doing that.

EDIT: I always assumed this was cut-and-dry, but seeing all these responses, clearly not a lot of people share this mentality. I'm curious if those people who don't have ever grappled with mental illness themselves.

dakun

but i don't know why i even try to argue it because this is a place that has a defense force for everything and people here actually believe animal life is more valuable than human life.

saying that human life is not more valuable than any other animals life, objectively, is not that far fetched when you look at it from a cosmic perspective.
Thinking about how there might be thousands or millions of other civilization in the universe past, present or future. We, who inhabit this planet share the same DNA as any living thing on this earth.
The day we actually know that there are other non-DNA based species in the universe, the notion that humans are more valuable than any other animal on this earth may become outdated and one may say "racist".

We are not there of course, so this is just hypothetical. But looking at it, not from a human perspective, but objectively, there is any argument to be made that what we consider as differences that make us more valuable are minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

Right. They should have let the animals attack and kill the guy and sit quietly watching it happen. There's nothing wrong with that.

No. It's just weird to think about.
I don't think there was a reasonable solution to this besides going way back in time before they captured those lions for their zoo. Ideally.
And that's just absurd.

This was sadly the best and most reasonable possible outcome.

Where do people read that the guy has a mental illness (apart from presuming it due to the circumstances)? As in, to the point that he lacks any rational thinking at all.

I don't think suicide-by-lion is that irrational if you want to die, just that zoo part.
I remember from years back, thinking about the best ways to go that also would not inconvenience anyone: it's not so easy! Forget guns/knifes in your house, trains, bridges etc.
Now this will sound very weird, so excuse that part of my mind:
Basically you have to go some place without humans and do method x there. If you have to do that anyway, one more painful but on the hand in a fucked up sense more exciting way would be getting killed by big cats, preferable tigers or jaguars as it will end faster. You end up being a meal for a cool animal, get to see it up close and no one has to take care of your remains. It is also suitable for people who believe suicide to be a sin because technically you didn't kill yourself.

Zoo is not an alternative for obvious reasons (other people watching, people having to deal with your mess, animals getting killed, zoo animals don't have clue how to efficiently kill you), but if he thought similarly it might have been simply the easier option than to travel to nowhere.

I can tell by your way of thinking the world is black and white for you. You absolutely have to judge people, put them in some sort of category. Rather than trying to forcefully think whether they are worthy of your empathy, consider looking at things objectively.
Aren't you judging me here from just one response? You're clearly putting me in a category here of being a black and white thinker, while I haven't even boxed you into a categorization and merely responded to the content of your message.

Welcome to Chile, one of the countries with the highest rate of depression and mental illness.

Sad about everything. I mean, everything is just wrong with this. The mental illness of our society, that fucking Zoo where the animals are at a terrible condition, the Simpsons like moment where the zookeepers shot tranquilizers at the lions but misses and hit the guy, the fact that they just killed the Lions afterwards instead of trying again or something else... As far as I read today, the guy it seems it's in critical condition, so fuck that also.

Liamario

Banned
Do you kill every animal in the zoo to save this one man? What if this guy is successful in his attempt next week.

Sad. I can't fault the zoo for killing the lions in an attempt to save the man, suicidal and selfish or not. I don't think I personally would have minded if they had just let nature take it's course though, but I can see why others would mind.

In other news of animals being put down, in Norway this cow will be put down after its calf is old enough to survive without its mothers milk. The cow attack an old couple and killed the 80 year old woman, leaving her husband with injuries.

718028ae9c099a4ee20063b84bfe7174.jpg

Why are we caging wild animals that belong in the wild for the sole reason of wanting to look at them occasionally...

Its fucked up.

pgtl_10

Sad. I can't fault the zoo for killing the lions in an attempt to save the man, suicidal and selfish or not. I don't think I personally would have minded if they had just let nature take it's course though, but I can see why others would mind.

In other news of animals being put down, in Norway this cow will be put down after its calf is old enough to survive without its mothers milk. The cow attack an old couple and killed the 80 year old woman, leaving her husband with injuries.

Nature did run its course and the lions died. Humans are apart of nature too.

UFO

Banned
You are morally bankrupt.

Funny, I consider him morally rich.

Letting two lions live that did nothing wrong vs attempting to let 1 man survive who willingly broke the law, and already wants to die. This is a no brainer IMO.

Ivan 3414

Letting two lions live that did nothing wrong vs attempting to let 1 man survive who willingly broke the law, and already wants to die. This is a no brainer IMO.

And let every man, woman, and child in vicinity watch as a man gets mauled and eaten. Great decision; all zoos should have nature run its course like this

So you wouldn't attempt to stop someone committing suicide?

It's not about who did what wrong, it's about prioritizing and saving human life at all costs. Are you one of those who shed tears when puppies die but don't feel a thing when people do?

Ninja Dom

It's simple

A zoo is not gonna say, "Hey look at that crazy man. He wants to be eaten by our lions. Let's just sit back and watch this shit."

Of course not. Don't be ridiculous. The zoo will try EVERYTHING TO SAVE HUMAN LIFE!!

If that's at the cost of the lions life then so be it.

Under the circumstances, what else should the zoo have done?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It's simple

A zoo is not gonna say, "Hey look at that crazy man. He wants to be eaten by our lions. Let's just sit back and watch this shit."

Of course not. Don't be ridiculous. The zoo will try EVERYTHING TO SAVE HUMAN LIFE!!

Zoos are fucking terrible places, and the fact that this is the logical conclusion means we shouldn't have Wild animals publically exposed in easily accessible cages anyone can get into.

It's simple

Under the circumstances, what else should the zoo have done?

It's kind of ridiculous how some people don't understand this.

I thought the whole 'animal life is equal or more important than human life' mentality went away at 10 years old.

I'm the kind of guy who doesn't even squash bugs in his house. I catch them and let them and put them outside. I'd feel to awful harming anything

But its mind boggling that anyone would just let the lions kill the guy. It really doesn't matter if he jumped, fell or was pushed. You do what needs to be done to save him.

UFO

Banned
And let every man, woman, and child in vicinity watch as a man gets mauled and eaten. Great decision; all zoos should have nature run its course like this

You shuffle the people away, fire a couple of warning shots, and explain how a man committed suicide by jumping into a pit with lions and the zoo did everything they could to help him. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom