• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's |Reviews Thread| Nateness Awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

This is brilliant, but I didn't want to know that much about how it ends. That's the sort of narrative approach detail I nerdgasm about, as a writer.

I wanted to see how it happened first-hand :'(

Then why are you reading the R eviews? It's not a spoiler to say that the game ends well :-/

The best part of the game is when Nate stops what he's doing and watches trailers for Horizon, Final Fantasy XV, and Call of Duty. ITS ALL CONNECTED

Fady K

Honestly this gen critics are seemingly a lot harsher with games than I remember in previous gens. Having all these high scores in a gen like this is a testament to how incredible the game must be. It could be slightly disappointing if Uncharted 3 (surprised IGN gave this a 10) averages higher.

chloe3pkl6.gif

Goddamn at that animation quality.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
the comments here should keep you occupied until Tuesday

It's been fairly tame so far, everyone learned their lesson it seems.

I'll bet there won't even be any greyed out names by the end of the day.

Gurish

Some of the highest scoring games of this gen were The Witcher 3 (93), MGSV (93), Bloodborne (92).

So Uncharted 4 is looking good!

Some expected 96 or 97, people don't understand that era of review scores is not coming back.

Only Rockstar's GTA6 might be able to do it (considering shitty GTA4's 98 MC), but I'm not sure even with that.

They certainly won't get another 98 this gen.

The review complaining about not being able to talk to your enemies, trick them, etc is so damn strange

This isnt Witcher. And I normally hate it when people tear apart lower scores, but that is such a madeup complaint

Like, how does it make sense to expect that?

malfcn

IGN's Battleborne review which is in the same thing Uncharted 4's is, was under in-progress/unscored, so that.

I don't follow Metacritic too closely, how long have they been doing that? I thought it was "you have one score" no matter what.

I've only played the first Uncharted. Maybe I should finally catch up. ☺

VanWinkle

If it stays at 94, it will be the highest rated new game of this generation as far as I can tell (I'm not counting MGSV on XB1 since it only had 10 critics and was primarily reviewed on PS4).

Ellite25

Some expected 96 or 97, people don't understand that era of review scores is not coming back.

Only Rockstar's GTA6 might be able to do it (considering shitty GTA4's 98 MC), but I'm not sure even with that.

They certainly won't get another 98 this gen.
Agreed, there's been a definite shift in review scores the last few years. The best of the best get 90-93 now.

Are they waiting for the MP to play and then decide the final verdict?

Great scores and well deserved for the best developer in the industry.

nib95

Banned
Uncharted 2 has amazing pacing and better set pieces. Uncharted 4 has the best story, looks amazing, and tries real hard on those set pieces.

But from a gameplay systems perspective, would you not say the elements introduced are actually a fairly conscious effort to evolve from previous iterations? The grapple, the wide linear level design, multiple pathways, introduction of vehicles, tagging, more dynamic options with combat etc. I get that it's not going to offer as big a surprise in terms of overall impact, which goes without saying for sequels, but to my mind ND has actually made some pretty valiant attempts to switch things up, whilst still keeping to the historic franchise flavour. Point being, I'm not sure I'd personally scold the game for a lack of innovation or impact, but that's just me.

Grief51

Banned
As I've maintained, difference standards in the industry now. People are looking for "open-world" multi-faceted titles (evident already in some of the reviews criticizing the linearity) as opposed to games that do one or two things, even if it does it extremely well.

Personally I LOVE the linearity of Uncharted and TLOU. It allows for a much more precise fine-tuning of pacing and cram more detail into the environment.
I'll take a well-crafted linear game over an open-world game any day.
I'm sick of games that are like "drive around for 30 minutes and check boxes on a big map" Ubisoft-style.

Interesting. Lucy from IGN gave both Uncharted 4 and Until Dawn below the MC average. I wonder how many others on the IGN staff would have reviewed the game below a 9. I'm guessing not many.

zsynqx

Looks like IGN going for the clicks...Are they waiting for the MP to play and then decide the final verdict?

Great scores and well deserved for the best developer in the industry.

Nope, just someone with a different opinion. IGN don't need clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom