• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's |Reviews Thread| Nateness Awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
As suspected, many outlets saying it's the best in the franchise, but it's still not reaching the critical heights of either Uncharted 2 or Last of Us. I do think reviews are a little more critical these days, and that it's harder to get those sorts of upper echelon scores.

So I thought I'd take a look through some of the 80% reviews...

Digitally Downloaded
http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2016/05/review-uncharted-4-thiefs-end-sony.html

So this review is completely invalid, as the reviewer evidently wanted to play a different type of (open world?) game.

Videogamer
http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/uncharted_4_review.html

This seems like a legitimate criticism, although one could argue that this is how Naughty Dog does their storytelling - they deliberately slow down the pace of the game to introduce conversations that wouldn't make sense during action-oriented moments. I'd also argue that you need those slow moments to provide contrast with the frenetic gun fights.

Pshaw I say!

This criticism is left wanting.

Where is the in depth review of the reviewer's history? Where is the comparison to a review score from the same publication years ago? Where are the cries of completely ignoring any and all review scores from now on?

This is no place for discussion, sir.

AHA-Lambda

Except there are 2?

As suspected, many outlets saying it's the best in the franchise, but it's still not reaching the critical heights of either Uncharted 2 or Last of Us. I do think reviews are a little more critical these days, and that it's harder to get those sorts of upper echelon scores.

I still believe part of that is going to be down to it being a 4th iteration of a formula though, it's going to be harder for it than UC2 from the off

The God

These reviews are strong. 93 metacritic is really good. However, probably not good enough to be a sure thing for GOTY. Games like Deus Ex will challenge for the title.

Still really amazing though. It's my most anticipated game of 2016.

Witcher 3 and Bloodborne

viHuGi

Banned
Ign is full of sh!t how can she give it a 8.8 and call it not final? Just review the damn game when it's done and post the final score their website keeps doing this review in progress to get more clicks bunch of idiots I swear.

They gave 3 a 10 lol

And review not final??! What?

Rozart

ChrNMHmVIAAkWon.jpg:large

I said it'll get a higher meta than Bloodborne.

If anyone else wants to get their fortunes read, I charge by the minute.

madmackem

Jimquisition's review: GROAN.

Seriously - I thought we were done with calling out Uncharted for the ludonarrative dissonance thing after the last game, but Jim wastes about 2 of the opening paragraphs on this issue. Only Nathan Drake gets called out for it because he's just a 'regular guy'. A regular guy that also hangs by his fingertips from cliff ledges and falling trains. Can't we just enjoy a shooter that has a fun story with a hero that isn't a big hulking space marine?
I never ever get the issues with this, its a summer blockbuster popcorn adventure, do people groan at the kills in movies not really its bombastic action fun, uncharted isn't a sim or if you've played any of them at all meant to be gritty realistic grounded game, same goes when people called out fucking tomb raider for it a game where you've fought a T. rex in the past.

Also a 9 from polygon must signal the end of times surely.

I can't tell whether or not the people complaining about 8s are for real or just doing it for the UC3 review thread flavor

Same here. I just hope it's all jokes.

Besides no matter what game it is, I've never been fond of reviews giving a game a 10. Of course it means the game is damn good and I expect no less but a 10? Did MGS5 got any 10s as well? Let's play it first guys and then judge.

Ozium

I will start reading the non perfect reveiws for the lulz just to know what those "journalists" try to send as message. I hope they know what they are talking about.

so if a review isn't a 10 the person has no credibility and is trying to send a message?

the fuck

Gamespot's been handing out 10s a lot more than usual this generation. I'm not sure if that speaks of the game quality or the falling of their standards from the past. I pretty much disagree with all their assessments of those recent 10 reviews, with MGSV close to dishonesty about the content of the game.

That being said, UC4 is probably the game I thought and hoped it was going to be from a story perspective, a popcorn entertainment game with real heart and emotion not unlike Wolfenstein. It doesn't set out to make even a small message about the world we live like TLOU so much as it gives closure to one of gaming's most charming protagonists filling it out with careful lines between dread, tension and excitement. I think that should be commended in an Era where people are afraid to let the stories of characters end.

Props to Naughty Dog on their accomplishment.

Seriously - I thought we were done with calling out Uncharted for the ludonarrative dissonance thing after the last game, but Jim wastes about 2 of the opening paragraphs on this issue. Only Nathan Drake gets called out for it because he's just a 'regular guy'. A regular guy that also hangs by his fingertips from cliff ledges and falling trains. Can't we just enjoy a shooter that has a fun story with a hero that isn't a big hulking space marine?

To be fair, it is a vaild criticism, but at this point the fact its been addressed in game, is a joke thats almost a meme at this point and doesnt actually distract from enjoyment of the game it seems like nitpicking at this point.

Its like being mad at a DW game for fighting hordes of mindless grunts. Its just what those games are about.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Papa Bear was here. Interesting reviews so far, curious to see where this ends up, as averages tend to go down rather than up.

Gurish

It will end around 93 I think, MGS5 also started like this, IGN final score will also have a huge influence and it won't be above 9.

Still an amazing MC this day and age.

Reviewers and publishers wrecked review scales, resulting in anything less than 9 being a failure.

The nice thing is that they're getting it reasonably sensible again.

JobenNC

He gets called out for it because he actually seems like a person. It's a problem they created for themselves by fleshing out their characters.

Best in the series, but only recommended. Never liked the emphasis some gamers and journalists put on games needing to be revolutionary or completely innovative, especially sequels which are obviously going to be more iterative in nature.

Uncharted 2 has amazing pacing and better set pieces. Uncharted 4 has the best story, looks amazing, and tries real hard on those set pieces.

Our review (in portuguese): Zwame - 9.5/10

+ Graphics and attention to details
+ Long campaign
+ More focus on the story
+ Dynamic and fun gameplay
+ Great voice acting

- Sometimes, the companion IA gets in the way
- No coop multiplayer at launch

I really loved every second spent in this game, and I also loved the more realistic aproach. The graphics and the amount of details is absolutely staggering.

T.O.P

Banned
Ign is full of sh!t how can she give it a 8.8 and call it not final? Just review the damn game when it's done and post the final score their website keeps doing this review in progress to get more clicks bunch of idiots I swear.

bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom