• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted Collection demo up in PS Store Worldwide

The only thing I need to know about the reviews is how well it performs. A lot of us already played these games, so we know what to expect. The numbers don't mean much in this case for me.

Loudninja

I tried the demo and it was fine. I didn't notice much in terms of better visuals but I thought Uncharted 2 looked great in 2009. Probably won't pick it up as I've already played the first two games to death and didn't care for the third.
I notice the improved graphics right away.

Especially at the swimming pool.

IGN review is up 9/10, no mention of any framerate problems, so seems to be a solid release, not that there was much doubt after the positive previews.

Looking forward to these again now.

bombshell

Do I get to be in the Beta even if I buy the game later (before December ofc.)?

If I get a used copy by then, would I still be in the beta or does it come with a code?

All new purchases get beta access, not just pre-orders. This is for both physical and digital.

For physical the beta access comes as a code in the box, so a used purchase will not give you access.

kanuuna

How big is the Day 1 patch for the game? I'm wondering if the audio quality in the demo is the same as the full release here. I went back to UC2 and fired up the same section on my PS3 to compare the two and original sounded way cleaner to me. The Day 1 patch mentions audio improvements, but how big could that possibly be? It'd be shame if they left things like this, because a 'remaster' shouldn't just mean visual polish. And it really shouldn't mean cutting corners in other aspects.

I will say that the new options (lifted straight from TLOU:R) are welcome though.

Shin-Ra

How big is the Day 1 patch for the game? I'm wondering if the audio quality in the demo is the same as the full release here. I went back to UC2 and fired up the same section on my PS3 to compare the two and original sounded way cleaner to me. The Day 1 patch mentions audio improvements, but how big could that possibly be? It'd be shame if they left things like this, because a 'remaster' shouldn't just mean visual polish. And it really shouldn't mean cutting corners in other aspects.

I will say that the new options (lifted straight from TLOU:R) are welcome though.
Did you try changing Dynamic Range in the Audio Output settings? I find the Auto Wide setting very quiet, even on the title theme with my HD 700 headphones.

NDCaudio.jpg

kanuuna

Did you try changing Dynamic Range in the Audio Output settings? I find the Auto Wide setting very quiet, even on the title theme with my HD 700 headphones.

I had no problems with the audio levels, it just sounded more compressed to me. I'm wondering if that's just the demo or if that's the quality throughout all the games in the actual collection. I always have dynamic range set to max when games give me the option - I play at pretty high volumes on my living room setup (5.1).

Percy

Banned
I finally got around to trying the demo last night and it was very nice, but the cleaner visuals seem to make the imperfections in the game stand out more... or perhaps that's just it showing it's age? I dunno. Still a lot of fun to play though. The framerate bump does wonders for how responsive the combat feels.

Looking forward to getting the collection.

Its the last post in the thread.

Wow... whichever mod it is that hides behind the modbot account (And judging from the tone/writing style of the posts when locking threads, it is very likely the same mod most of the time imo) seems to get more insulting towards GAF members and petulant as time goes on. Regular posters get banned for shitty generalisations like that. Calling others 'embarassing' after this? Ironic.

zsynqx

Wow... whichever mod it is that hides behind the modbot account (And judging from the tone/writing style of the posts when locking threads, it is very likely the same mod most of the time imo) seems to get more insulting towards GAF members and petulant as time goes on. Regular posters get banned for shitty generalisations like that. Calling others 'embarassing' after this? Ironic.

To be fair there were a few dumb posts from some Uncharted fans but I do sort of agree.

Please don't ban me

Majanew

Banned
I had no problems with the audio levels, it just sounded more compressed to me. I'm wondering if that's just the demo or if that's the quality throughout all the games in the actual collection. I always have dynamic range set to max when games give me the option - I play at pretty high volumes on my living room setup (5.1).
Don't put Uncharted on Maximum dynamic range. Put it on Narrow. Also, Midnight will disable LFE.

dh4niel

I loved the Uncharted series on PS3 but I was a bit underwhelmed by the demo. It's one of those HD remasters where the remastered version looks exactly how you remembered when you played it the first time. Aiming seems a bit loose and the animations look a bit clumsy at times. Maybe it's the fact I've been going hard with PC gaming the last few months but I was expecting a bit more 'wow'. I know the games are old now, but still.

klier

I loved the Uncharted series on PS3 but I was a bit underwhelmed by the demo. It's one of those HD remasters where the remastered version looks exactly how you remembered when you played it the first time. Aiming seems a bit loose and the animations look a bit clumsy at times. Maybe it's the fact I've been going hard with PC gaming the last few months but I was expecting a bit more 'wow'. I know the games are old now, but still.

Same here. I blame 180+ hours of MGSV gameplay.
To be honest, I didn't mind the aging graphics, but the gameplay felt just wrong to me. Fantastic when it was new but now not so much.

Yopis

Same almost exactly how I felt.

Osahi

I blame The Last of Us and it's combat AI. In comparison Uncharted goons are pretty dumb. I still had fun with the demo, and the helicopter battle is still exciting, but yeah, I also came away a bit underwelmed.

Then again, I'll know I'll love reliving these games. I'll just have to adapt to the way they play.

I love the photo mode though. It is not perfect (and it is a shame it is so limited. You can't go into photo mode while aiming? Why?), but I nabbed some cool shots nonetheless

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
That demo was impressive, what an incredible visual improvement.
However, I really dislike running being toggled to L3. That wasn't in the original and it makes movement feel a lot more slow and clunky. Couldn't find a way to turn it off in the options, hopefully the full collection will.

Man, I knew I loved these games, but I forgot how much.
Naughty Dog has (and had) some top-tier artists. Glad to see their work shine a bit brighter with these remasters.

On Demand

Banned

It sounded more compressed to me too. Turned on the PS3 version and the title screen was noticeably clearer and airy. I had to turn my volume down.

The PS3 version used uncompressed audio didn't it?

Did you read that thread though? It was a bit pathetic, and was only going to get worse.

Some people's behaviour deserves the odd insult.

Downloaded the demo and gave it a quick spin but I'm on the fence as to whether I buy this. I enjoyed all 3 games first time around, but am not overly excited about playing through UC1 again. I would like to run through 2 though.

It seems like a decent remaster, but personally, I don't think the trilogy is that strong. UC1 is ok, UC2 is fantastic and UC3 is better than 1, but nowhere near as good as 2.

Right now, I'm going to hold off taking the plunge until I see it on sale on PSN.

Majanew

Banned
It sounded more compressed to me too. Turned on the PS3 version and the title screen was noticeably clearer and airy. I had to turn my volume down.

The PS3 version used uncompressed audio didn't it?

While I don't have PS3 version to compare it to, the PS4 demo definitely doesn't sound compressed on my system.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So here is something interesting.

PlayStation Russia are currently at an exhibition where gamers can experience PlayStation games.

They've been posting pictures on Twitter and one of them caught my eye-

CQOC4CHUYAA4kbv.jpg:large

CQOs-WbWsAA9BX0.jpg

CQPG55hUkAAHFIt.jpg:large

I would imagine the two blue boxes are saying these two consoles will not be sold at retail. But they certainly are showing two new custom PS4's that we've never seen before.

Tried the demo for the fourth time and it my negative feelings are slowly fading qway. The remaster from one of my favourite series is too good to pass I guess, but then again I'm torn.There are so much awesome games coming this fall, that I may not be able to justify a purchase.

Although I start to love it more...I would like to see proper hit and especially collision detection ( seems like Nathan is skating on ice and when he walks up stairs etc. he seems to be floating....he's just not in contact with the ground it seems)

Slower movement speed of Nathan would also be nice. The movement is so twitchy that it's a pain in the butt to aim. I replayed the PS3 version last night, and that's far easier to pull off moves and headshots. Nathan isn't so nervous in his movements. Could it the 60 fps? I'm gonna get slaughtered for this, but I would love to have 30 fps option, just to compare.

Hugstable

Banned
I finally got around to trying the demo last night and it was very nice, but the cleaner visuals seem to make the imperfections in the game stand out more... or perhaps that's just it showing it's age? I dunno. Still a lot of fun to play though. The framerate bump does wonders for how responsive the combat feels.

Looking forward to getting the collection.

Did you actually see the posts in there? The mods have been warning and banning for awhile because they seem tired of having to babysit those who can't handle review scores. It was very embarrassing and hopefully it sends a message that it needs to stop. Reviews should not affect people to the point where they need to constantly try to discredit a reviewer. It derails every review thread and serves no purpose but to crap it up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
While I don't have PS3 version to compare it to, the PS4 demo definitely doesn't sound compressed on my system.
IMO, demo needs to be put on medium or narrow. Otherwise it sounds muffled or something. I'm positive the PS3 version audio default was not like this. But once I changed it to medium, it was fine.

Majanew

Banned
IMO, demo needs to be put on medium or narrow. Otherwise it sounds muffled or something. I'm positive the PS3 version audio default was not like this. But once I changed it to medium, it was fine.

I tested all the dynamic ranges in the demo and Narrow is best on my system. Midnight is similar but it disables LFE, and that's a no-no.

Lrrr

The demo was excellent. Maybe it's me, but Drake's general movement - especially when aiming a weapon - felt less floaty than his PS3 versions. I felt like I was able to have pinpoint control.

I was incredibly disappointed with the Photo Mode though. I thought it would be as robust as the one in TLoU with even more filters/options, but it's actually less. You can't even access it during a cutscene or when Drake is aiming a gun. I was able to get around the "aiming" thing, but why is it limited at all?

Looks like a great port, but not worth $60 I'm afraid. I'll scoop it up when it hits $39.99 or Black Friday.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Did they remove Drake's control lag? Uncharted 2 and 3 Drake didn't have any lag.
This collection is going to have less input lag than any of the PS3 games, as it runs those same games at 60FPS after all. Btw, UC1 had less input lag than UC2 and UC3. I think it was:
UC1 - 110ms
UC2 - 120ms
UC3 - 150ms (which is what finally started making the aiming feel sluggish in this game)

Aside from Drake feeling like he's constantly slipping on ice, the aiming feeling weird, and that odd stutter.
There might be something off with your setup. There shouldn't be any stutter. It's 60FPS through and through, not 59 like in MK8.

The demo was excellent. Maybe it's me, but Drake's general movement - especially when aiming a weapon - felt less floaty than his PS3 versions. I felt like I was able to have pinpoint control.
It's not just you. Aiming is objectively better than in any PS3 UC games. Less input lag, more sensitive analogs on DS4, and what I think was the same acceleration curve from old UC2 (which was very good). I was able to aim without overcompensation, without thinking about it even.

Hugstable

Banned

I was incredibly disappointed with the Photo Mode though. I thought it would be as robust as the one in TLoU with even more filters/options, but it's actually less. You can't even access it during a cutscene or when Drake is aiming a gun. I was able to get around the "aiming" thing, but why is it limited at all?

Looks like a great port, but not worth $60 I'm afraid. I'll scoop it up when it hits $39.99 or Black Friday.

I wonder if the less photo mode options are just because it's a demo? I'm still not sure whether I'm gonna get this at launch yet, really want to play UC1 and 2 again, especially 1 because I really liked it and beat the hell out of the game many times and really want to see the new changes.

Top Bottom