• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Review Thread

gamerMan

The reviews are all over the place which means the story is not as good as it should be. For this type of game the writing has to be exceptionally strong. It's difficult with the branching storylines. Like most movies of this type, from what I have seen the dialogue sometimes feels awkward which is compounded by the uncanny effect on the characters faces. For this game, I wish the facial animation was up there with Naughty Dog. It kind of pulls me out of the experience when the characters grimace in funny ways and the low res shadows flicker on the models.

I think it would have scored a lot higher if the story had been better. Still, it looks fun if not campy. I like the depth they added to the narrative with the ability to foresee events. I think it is going to be fun to try and save anyone but I am kind of bummed that fast quicktime events will play a role. I don't want to start over just because I missed an event.

From what I have seen, I think it looks better than Telltale games with better depth in the branching narrative.

I totally missed this thread D: also, holy batman graveyard lol

Anyway, much better than what i was expecting, i'm totally in now

...on Halloween tho, i got too much stuff to play now and i will enjoy the game much more when friends come over (with booze on the side)

Any hints on the lenght btw? (can't open many links as i'm on mobile atm)

7-8 hours per playthrough.

antitrop

Does the game somewhat gives you clues in terms of making the "right" choice? I really want everyone to be alive :(

Sterling's review said that genre-savviness will be your greatest asset for keeping characters alive.

So, in the end, people's death counters might end up a good indication of how many slasher flicks they've seen before and their ability to identify danger signs.

I think that's fucking awesome.

So is anything less than TV ads considered 'being sent to die' because I've seen a lot of new trailers and interactive videos come out of PlayStation's YouTube channel.

Sterling's review said that genre-savviness will be your greatest asset for keeping characters alive.

So, in the end, people's death counters might end up a good indication of how many slasher flicks they've seen before and their ability to identify danger signs.

I agree! I should do well then.

Heavy Rain was heavily flawed(writing), but fun, but this might likely be an overall better experience, which is making me excited.

I hope to see more companies make these kinds of games besides just TellTale Games..

So is anything less than TV ads considered 'being sent to die' because I've seen a lot of new trailers and interactive videos come out of PlayStation's YouTube channel.

It has TV ads and around the clock Twitch ads. Does not seem they are sending it out to die. Media/gamers have just been sleeping on the game.

Survivor horror games tend have polarized reviews, Alien Isolation and Dying Light both had a few outlying low scores. I applaud game devs for taking chances and making non-traditional type games. Just seems like some reviewers like to stick with basic formulaic games/gameplay.

Alien Isolation was pretty polarized by a lot of gamers as well. Some found the pacing too slow, other reveled in the nostalgia. Personnaly, I just look at it as we all have different tastes. If every reviewer followed the same formulaic criteria the reviews would be muchore homogeneous.

Loudninja

The reviews are all over the place which means the story is not as good as it should be. For this type of game the writing has to be exceptionally strong. It's difficult with the branching storylines. Like most movies of this type, from what I have seen the dialogue sometimes feels awkward which is compounded by the uncanny effect on the characters faces. For this game, I wish the facial animation was up there with Naughty Dog. It kind of pulls me out of the experience when the characters grimace in funny ways and the low res shadows flicker on the models.

I think it would have scored a lot higher if the story had been better. Still, it looks fun if not campy. I like the depth they added to the narrative with the ability to foresee events. I think it is going to be fun to try and save anyone but I am kind of bummed that fast quicktime events will play a role. I don't want to start over just because I missed an event.

From what I have seen, I think it looks better than Telltale games with better depth in the branching narrative.
No not really.

Elitist1945

Shit I'm fucked. Guess I better watch some movies tonight.

The reviews are all over the place which means the story is not as good as it should be.

Uh, I don't think this is the case at all. Apart from reviews not being all over the place, liking a story is very subjective, and from a structure perspective, it seems like they hit the exact vibe they want to. Whether or not people like that is, again, subjective.

Fitts

The reviews are all over the place which means the story is not as good as it should be.

I don't really care for professional reviews, but if a game receives varied scores that usually signals to me that it's actually interesting -- it at least in part subverts expectations. If it's universally praised then I read that as it ticks the boxes that are expected of a game within its designated genre.

hohoXD123

But they're not all over the place.

100 percent this. As I said, my first playthrough had nearly no deaths due to the application of horror movie common sense.

Reviews are better than I expected actually, but predictable at the same time. This is a game that is going to be lame to some and awesome to others and a lot of people in the middle that enjoy it for what it is.

antitrop

When I get around to this game I'm going to try my hardest to get her killed off first. Have it play out like a Drew Barrymore in Scream scenario. (the only good part of that movie)

Come at me.
She must live. This is what you've been waiting for. Be the one we need.

SAVE THE CHEERLEADER, SAVE THE WORLD

Roronoa

Banned
Ugh, I am trying so hard to hold off on buying a PS4 given the Canadian dollar but with Witcher 3, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, MGSV and Until Dawn, it is very hard to resist. Not to mention the PS+ games have been very good so far.

I am actually waiting for that Darth Vader PS4 but it is so far away. By then, I would just wait 'til I get very good deals on the holiday shopping season.

DirtyLarry

I am hoping GameFly gets it to me by the weekend. I am super interested, but just not interested enough to commit to a purchase. So a rental is the perfect inbetween for me. Just hope I get it by the weekend or else I will probably have to wait a whole other week to play it (not a whole lot of free time these days).

I love the sound of this.

Top Bottom