• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC]The Xbox showcase brought the E3 magic

Draugoth

Gold Member
perfect-dark-1024x576.jpg

E3 is dead now, but everybody turns up anyway, and plays by the same old rules: it’s June, it’s Pacific time, it’s a lot of new trailers, show up and show off. The rule for Xbox specifically, for the last decade, is that it has to prove itself.

For most of that time, it’s been struggling: Playstation and Nintendo have stayed far ahead on platform sales, and despite amassing a gigantic studio portfolio, Xbox has struggled to build momentum.

HL3.exe

True, the showcase was great.

The only thing that made me go 'huh' is that, we're 4 years into this gen, and all of these felt like 8 gen (PS4/Xboxone) games. I'm not seeing the next gen gameplay leap, just a visual leap (and not even that in some cases)

Either way, looking forward to Deus Ex Perfect Dark reboot. Sounded like they're lean more 'ImmSim' with this one, good.

Last edited:
I'm so glad Xbox is keeping up the E3 tradition. Hopefully this showcase convinces Sony to return to big E3 time period showcases. It used to be such a fun weekend.
In Sony's case it's more down to not having enough first-party content ready to show, their last actual Showcase proved that.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Yep, closest thing to the E3 presentations of old that we've had in a long while.
Pretty similar to last year. The Starfield presentation was great.

Xbox has had a good show for a few years now. In 2021 they had one with constant "coming to GP day 1" moments that made me buy the system.

Last edited:
The thing I took away from it:
  • Gaming isn't dead (Undertaker rises from coffin)
  • There are lots of fun looking titles I'd be happy to sit down and play. Most weren't overly pretentious which was cool. Let's put the fun back in gaming.
  • Compulsion, please God deliver. It looks so cool.
  • COD looks more fun than it has in years. BLOPS looks great.

Topher

Gold Member
Would have been cool to see on-stage presenters and all that, but actually having an event with real people rather than just a streaming thing was pretty cool.

Matsuchezz

Hahahah the excitement is running rampant over here, the Xbros were touched by god and new hope has come ashore. The E3 magic was from the presentations that happened the same day by the manufacturers and third parties alike, Since MS bought a couple of big Publishers, it looks like 3 events became 1. But the magic was not there, this only entice the rats. The trailers fooled the bros, but they forget the past so soon and the history repeats itself once again.
pleased season 7 GIF
bored bart simpson GIF
bart simpson episode 20 GIF

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's almost like they gave us big game after big game and didn't drip feed us indie shit and 15mins of a game overview that's meh in the middle of the presentation. Still bring back e3
This. Indies are basically shovelware now that we used to get in the early Wii days. Absolute trash.

How we went from amazing indies like Inside, Brothers, Braid, FTL, and even No Mans Sky to the filth we are getting today is beyond me. it's like everyone realized that gamers are leninet on quality when it comes to indie games so they all just started producing one lame indie game after another.

And thats ok. There will always be a place for indie shovelware. Just dont showcase them on a big expensive show for gamers expecting AAA stuff. Maybe at the PC gamer show.

ProtoByte

Ugh, the glaze is nuts man.

It was good showing. Not the second coming of Christ. Lest we forget that E3 presentations are just that: controlled presentations. The games need to come out and actually be good.

Last edited:

SCB3

I honestly have never been so wrong and willing to admit I miss E3, it was a fin magical weekend for gamers tbh,

I honestly have never been so wrong and willing to admit I miss E3, it was a fin magical weekend for gamers tbh,

I don't think you were wrong. What E3 turned into was awful, people are missing it now but I don't think they missed what it became - they miss what it used to be in the 2000s and early 2010s. Before the huge focus on non-gaming shit and extravagant spectacles.

The Direct format is much better, focused, and professional. What would be nice is better coordination into a short timeframe that made it into the online event of the summer for gamers. In terms of events for fans, I see media outlets taking over that pretty well considering how large PAX has become. And IGN Live is in its infancy, I see it as the next big convention with its connections to the big publishers and power to influence its existing fanbase.

Monkfish877

Kudos to Microsoft, great show. They have to make sure the games they revealed are of high quality or else it's all for nothing, they've had way too many bombas for me to be overly excited, they need a string of hits to set Xbox on the right trajectory.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Not really. E3 had a lot more hype leading up to it, presentations (not just trailer after trailer), audience participation, developer interviews, and pandemonium. This was, by design, an entirely controlled, scripted affair. I'm not complaining, but a string of trailers does not an E3 make.

RedC

Ugh, the glaze is nuts man.

It was good showing. Not the second coming of Christ. Lest we forget that E3 presentations are just that: controlled presentations. The games need to come out and actually be good.
I have to agree.

It was a good showcase.

Cool.

The overrating response has been:
im horny jack nicholson GIF

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"Brought the E3 magic" definitely no, but it was really great as it could be

To have the E3 magic the event needs a real audience having a blast with the games as they could have with a concert, like:

Bonus when the internet was at the right time:

Reactions: GHG

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Now bring back the other E3 tradition of doing gameplay overviews as well as what you show “on stage.”

I feel like I still barely know how many of these games play.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Hahahah the excitement is running rampant over here, the Xbros were touched by god and new hope has come ashore. The E3 magic was from the presentations that happened the same day by the manufacturers and third parties alike, Since MS bought a couple of big Publishers, it looks like 3 events became 1. But the magic was not there, this only entice the rats. The trailers fooled the bros, but they forget the past so soon and the history repeats itself once again.
pleased season 7 GIF
bored bart simpson GIF
bart simpson episode 20 GIF
200.gif

Saber

It may not be the best in terms of gameplay(more like movies) and presentation, but it showed the games at least. And theres a few I got interested.

GHG

Gold Member
It was nothing like the E3 presentations of old.

Nobody was on the stage other than the three stooges.

Jesb

What it brought was new interesting announcements that we haven’t had lately. Usually it’s been all games we know about.

I'm so glad Xbox is keeping up the E3 tradition. Hopefully this showcase convinces Sony to return to big E3 time period showcases. It used to be such a fun weekend.
It would be nice but Sony has gotten cheap. That’s why they pulled out of E3 anyway. Good luck with them spending more money for shows. Their state of play doesn’t cost them much and they can be slick and put out their content that way. They have done so well for so long they don’t think they need E3 like shows to be relevant. This Xbox showcase made their Star of Play look like utter garbage. Let’s see if it maybe lights a fire of some kind. It would be nice to see Sony showcase their games at the same level Xbox did. Bring back E3 as it was so much better and at least MS is trying to keep the passion alive.

Last edited:

hinch7

Nah it can't bring back the live reactions from the audience. Which was half of what made some of the announcements at E3 special and memorable. The random awkward moments and unscripted stuff too.

Besides that, the Xbox 2024 conference was really damn good. It wasn't mindblowing or unexpected in terms of annoucements but just a really well put together show, with lots of good games and very little fluff.

Top Bottom