• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•09-11•17 - Wonder Woman deflects competition, Cruise cries for his Mummy

kswiston

If I meet her in DC can she smuggle me into Canada?

Just go out west and hop the ditch

stevepic.jpg

BumRush

Your wife is a superstar to handle a preschooler and a 4 month old mostly solo last month while you were travelling for work.

I have a week of solo parent duty starting Wednesday (my wife has to go to Washington DC, and then to Alberta for work). That is plenty long enough. And that's minus a baby.

She really is. I thank her every day. Watching kids is a lot more work than one would think - especially because we watch extremely little TV with our oldest.

Sean C

The eras/big milestones are (as I see them):

Superman (1979)
Batman (1989)
Spider-Man (2002)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Avengers (2012)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Others have already argued (correctly, in my view) that GOTG isn't a milestone like the others. But I would suggest Iron Man (2008) probably belongs there; debuting in the same summer as The Dark Knight, it was arguably even more influential that TDK in terms of the overall direction of superhero movies, since it led to the MCU, and the cinematic universe storytelling model that every other studio has since been trying to copy.

Not

Banned
Others have already argued (correctly, in my view) that GOTG isn't a milestone like the others. But I would suggest Iron Man (2008) probably belongs there; debuting in the same summer as The Dark Knight, it was arguably even more influential that TDK in terms of the overall direction of superhero movies, since it led to the MCU, and the cinematic universe storytelling model that every other studio has since been trying to copy.

Yup. Iron Man over GotG any day of the week. Wonder Woman next.

kswiston

It's way too early to say that Wonder Woman is a milestone in the genre. All of the DCEU films have made a lot of money. This may just be more of an indicator of what happens when the DC films are actually good.

We'll see how Aquaman does next year.

kswiston

What upcoming 2017 film are you guys most excited about?

Probably Dunkirk in the short term. I'm hoping it's good, since it will be a nice change of pace from typical summer blockbusters.

Thor 3 looks fun. I am sure Star Wars VIII will be good as well, but I am not a big enough fan to get excited over a teaser and a few details.

Ushay

For the rest of the year I have the following on my radar.

- Justice League
- Star Wars - The Last Jedi
- Thor 3
- Valerian
- Dunkirk
- Spiderman
- The Dark Tower
- Blade Runner

Damn its a full year!

Prompto

Banned
Yeah Iron Man was much more influential than GOTG.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's hard but a three way tie between Baby Driver, Atomic Blonde, and Dunkirk.

I still need to see It Comes at Night as well. There's others I'm forgetting.

I think the bigger question is which has been the WORST flick so far.

BumRush

Probably Dunkirk in the short term. I'm hoping it's good, since it will be a nice change of pace from typical summer blockbusters.

Thor 3 looks fun. I am sure Star Wars VIII will be good as well, but I am not a big enough fan to get excited over a teaser and a few details.

For the rest of the year I have the following on my radar.

- Justice League
- Star Wars - The Last Jedi
- Thor 3
- Valerian
- Dunkirk
- Spiderman
- The Dark Tower
- Blade Runner

Damn its a full year!

I forgot about Blade Runner. That is high on my list.

Impossible to pick one. This is my "must watch" list for the remainder of the year:

Baby Driver
Thank You for Your Service
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Dunkirk
Valerian
Atomic Blonde
Logan Lucky
Murder on the Orient Express
Blade Runner

Also planning on catching Okja on Netflix, looks amazing.

It's hard but a three way tie between Baby Driver, Atomic Blonde, and Dunkirk.

I still need to see It Comes at Night as well. There's others I'm forgetting.

I think the bigger question is which has been the WORST flick so far.

Thor Ragnarok looks like something I'll love

These responses point out how insane this year is.

For me it's Star Wars followed by Dunkirk and (after the recent trailer) Thor 3

P.S. I just found out how to multi-quote on mobile. What a game changer!!!

Summer:
Baby Driver
Apes
Dunkirk
Okja
Valerian
Logan Lucky
Beguiled

The rest of the year:
Three Billboards
You were never really here
Blade Runner
Star Wars
Justice League
Whole bunch of other stuff

Amazing year it's looking like. Already came away happy with a lot of the stuff i saw earlier this year too like Logan, split and get out.

Baby Driver my most anticipated though. So soon too

WW had an unheard of 2nd week drop in Australia. It dropped only 14.8% despite losing a shitload of screens. That just doesn't happen in Australia. Usually those sort of legs are exclusively seen for animated movies in the holidays. Just for a quick comparison with other super hero movies first week drop and screens loss
Wonder Woman - 14.8% drop 194 screens lost
GOTG2 - 68.5% drop 0 screens lost
Logan - 42.2% drop 3 screens gained
Doctor strange - 42.2% drop 0 screens lost
SS - 57.1% drop 41 screens lost
X-men Apoc - 55% drop 59 screens lost
Civil war - 57.9% drop 47 screens lost
BvS - 64.3% drop 44 screens lost
Dead pool - 46.8% drop 7 screens gained
Ant man - 40.3% drop 50 screens lost
AoU - 50.2% drop 9 screens lost
ASM2 - 39% drop 5 screens gained
GOTG - 34.4% drop 0 screens lost
MoS - 54.3% drop 7 screens lost
Thor 2 - 39.5% drop 0 screens lost
TDKR - 50.4% drop 0 screens lost
The avengers - 39.2% drop 6 screens gained

WW had by far the best hold of any superhero movie ever released despite losing far more screens than essentially any other superhero movie. It's per screen average actually went up on the 2nd week.

It's a shame because despicable me and rough night will likely eat into it's screens even more this week. Regardless it'll end up being a pretty decent performer at the Australian box office.

Schlorgan

Star Wars, Thor and God Particle are most of what I'm keeping an eye on for the rest of the year.

Other studios didn't start trying to copy Marvel and make their own Cinematic Universes until after The Avengers.

That list is really just my observations, mostly based on CBMs that blew up. Iron Man would be valid, I just think TDK overshadowed it that year.

Ryuuroden

I saw Wonder Woman at 11:20 in the morning on Thursday because finished work early. I was honestly surprised at the number of people there for Wonder Woman that early in the day.

Code:
1) Cars 3                        $50.5M
2) Wonder Woman                  $34.4M  -41.22%
3) All Eyez on Me                $26.2M
4) Rough Night                   $14.9M
5) The Mummy                     $11.9M    -62.45%
6) Pirates of the Caribbean 5     $6.2M     -42.06%
7) Captain Underpants             $5.2M      -57.31%
8) 47 Meters Down                 $4.4M
9) Guardians of the Galaxy 2      $3.4M     -46.12%
10) It Comes at Night             $2.1M     -64.94%
Don't have much time for a write-up thanks to a poorly orchestrated move to a new place, but here's quick thoughts: this summer has rewarded caution when it comes to predicting followups to poorly received sequels, and Cars 3 certainly fits the bill. There's been a big lack of event films for kids in the last two months, so that may help Cars 3 considerably. On the other hand, The Good Dinosaur was in a similar position, and audiences still shrugged at it.

Holdover drops will be pretty brutal across the board. Even though I don't foresee any opener this week doing particularly well, there is four of them. That's a lot of theaters and screens gobbled up, and you can see that sharp theater declines are happening. Interestingly enough, all 3 wide releases last week are losing a handful of locations as well, a very rare occurrence.

Star Wars, Thor and God Particle are most of what I'm keeping an eye on for the rest of the year.

Other studios didn't start trying to copy Marvel and make their own Cinematic Universes until after The Avengers.

That list is really just my observations, mostly based on CBMs that blew up. Iron Man would be valid, I just think TDK overshadowed it that year.

DC attempted to launch a cinematic universe a year before Avengers came out, with Green Lantern. Amanda Waller was the Nick Fury figure.

EDIT: Seven Psychopaths is great, see it!

BumRush

- Atomic Blonde
- Baby Driver
- Spiderman
- War for the Planet of the Apes
- Dunkirk
- It
- Kingsman
- Blade Runner
- Justice League
- Star Wars

It's crazy...until I asked the question I had totally forgotten that apes and Kingsman - sequels to some of my favorite films over the last few years - were this year

Caode

$300M might happen the weekend after this one.

The next few weekends are going to be interesting as some bigger (well, dunno about Transformers in the long run domestically) films start to hit. Really interested in seeing how well it can hold this weekend.

Mrbob

The Thursday hold for WW is about expected. I think it's going over 30 million this weekend now.

Code:
1) Cars 3                        $50.5M
2) Wonder Woman                  $34.4M  -41.22%
3) All Eyez on Me                $26.2M
4) Rough Night                   $14.9M
5) The Mummy                     $11.9M    -62.45%
6) Pirates of the Caribbean 5     $6.2M     -42.06%
7) Captain Underpants             $5.2M      -57.31%
8) 47 Meters Down                 $4.4M
9) Guardians of the Galaxy 2      $3.4M     -46.12%
10) It Comes at Night             $2.1M     -64.94%
I think you are over selling Captain Underpants drop. Percentage wise, it's having better holds than WW this week. Plus it's more of a weekend/family movie (which I think WW is now too). If that continues this weekend it's going to have a sub 45% drop....maybe sub 40.

Was just looking at box office mojo to see how pirates was faring (I know I'm one of the few that want it to make enough to justify another)

Incredible to see that Disney hold the 1st, 3rd and 5th highest grossing worldwide this year with $2.6 billion between the 3 of them with Cars 3, Spider-Man, Thor, Coco and Star Wars still to come

Mental

Top Bottom